Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 PM

I won a boat
Congrats to everyone who did well and to everyone who participated. It's an honor to get up on stage with such great fisher people and sportsman. We won a BOAT
Steve Meeres
Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 AM

i'm guessing boat number, as assigned by tourney officials, often by time,date of applying to participate in the tourney
Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 PM

i see at the bottom 2 out of the 3 DQ were from AB, can we kick them out of AB for this???
Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 PM

Heard one of the dq boats had a hidden livewell full of slots......not good boys

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 PM

They should post there names
Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapala76 View Post
They should post there names
Look at the list...the DQ boats are the ones booted out I would assume....the names are posted there.

LC
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 PM

congrats chris and top water,Thats awesome that you got the boat!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Congrats Chris and Topwater!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Default Results on internet

Quote:
What does the last numbers after the names mean? anyone ? Congrats on taking 2 thats sweet.
Go to this link and you'll see:
http://www.vanitycup.ca/results.php
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
What does the last numbers after the names mean? anyone ? Congrats on taking 2 thats sweet.
The numbers would be day 1 total, day 2 total, day 1 + 2 total and then the last number would be a plus or minus number. It would be the difference in weights from day 1 to day 2. They have a cool under pressure prize of which team advances the most places from day 1
Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Default s

Realize, there is a slot limit there, and sometimes a fish can shrink in the livewell or grow, or an angler makes a bad decision, and if when measured at the weigh in, if they deem the fish longer than 55cm or shorter than 70cm, U loose that fish, 99% of the time the CO's are right there, and they will ticket you for retaining that fish, and you are DQ'd for the tournament for that year, its a tricky situation and is a tough one sometimes, so none but one of the DQ'd teams were hiding fish in the well. I was there and it was just one team, and rumor is they were not from Canada.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 PM

Just one ? Makes it ok then ? How many years has this gone on ? Who cares where they were from , they're still cheaters. AND , the law is pretty clear , 55 to 70 , measure correctly , double check , or pay the price. Fish don't shrink or grow as much as these were off. Too bad you can't tell by the placings who got fined for barbed hooks during prefish! There were several according to Mr. Chute. As far as I know , a tournament DQ is permanent.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Default t

Not saying its right, and u have no idea how far anything was off you were not in the weigh tent and neither was Chute. It was a misfortunate incident and those people that had the fish in the well prior to the tourney will be done for good. As for the other DQ's? Who knows. It is to bad with the barb hooks too. I heard it was a lot and that's crappy. I wish they would make saskatchewan all barbless. Would make it easy and less excuses
Old 10-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Talks were that half of the 80 boats in the pre fish that were check had barbed hooks, if they are handing out 1000.00 draw for guys pre fishing then they should be sent home just like the guys caught in the turny.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Default t

I heard the same thing Gramps. And I agree with you 100 percent. Maybe I could have won something then lol. It was kind of a mess we hear, and that's to bad. The CO's don't want these Tourneys to begin with so I just can't see how any of this will help. It is to bad.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 PM

Tough enough to win with all the best of the best but then having to deal with all the cheaters..not cool...

When there is that kind of money on the line you are going to have people bending the rules not matter what you are doing...I just hope that if caught and DQ then you are not allowed back next year.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Tough enough to win with all the best of the best but then having to deal with all the cheaters..not cool...

When there is that kind of money on the line you are going to have people bending the rules not matter what you are doing...I just hope that if caught and DQ then you are not allowed back next year.
I kind of hope that is what will happen also. Would open up some more spots for guys that want to enter and fish by the rules.

Like you said. If they enter the prefishing thing and are caught cheating it should finish their whole tourney all together.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Dad WAS in the shack when they brought in a 69. It wasn't even remotely close and they were told that. We are getting an exception at 70cm , imagine if the tournament was 55 to 86 like every other day for everyone else. Don't think there would be a tournament for long. It boils down to taking a chance. With big money on the line , if they miss it at weigh in the team definitely benefits. Big slots are like gold in the river.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Dad WAS in the shack when they brought in a 69. It wasn't even remotely close and they were told that. We are getting an exception at 70cm , imagine if the tournament was 55 to 86 like every other day for everyone else. Don't think there would be a tournament for long. It boils down to taking a chance. With big money on the line , if they miss it at weigh in the team definitely benefits. Big slots are like gold in the river.
Thats the only thing I dont like about the saskatchewan Tournaments is the slot size regulations...

The team that wins the vanity every year are'nt the guys who catch the most biggest fish in the 2 day tournament,which is dumb...IMO
Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Thats the only thing I dont like about the saskatchewan Tournaments is the slot size regulations...

The team that wins the vanity every year are'nt the guys who catch the most biggest fish in the 2 day tournament,which is dumb...IMO
Don't they have slot sizes in Alberta tournaments as well?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh View Post
Don't they have slot sizes in Alberta tournaments as well?
Not that I know of. All the SAWT tourneys are fish over a certain size weighed in. Depending on which lake it is at will determine whether it is 50cm or 55cm.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Never fished a tournament before, but I am learning lots from this thread. thanks to the guys asking the questions that I was a bit nervous to ask.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:48 AM

In Saskatchewan , most tournaments allow a max of 2 fish per team over 55cm and 3 under 55cm. Nipawin and Tobin is a bit different because of the protected slot , which is actually 55cm to 86cm. The tournaments are given some grace by the CO's and are allowed to retain over 70cm. Just don't see many 86cm walleye , though I do have dreams !
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the congrats boys, I appreciate it!

If a team was DQ'd they have DQ by their names on the results. It does not mean they are cheaters, but if you are DQ'd because you can't measure fish properly you are lumped into having a DQ just like the cheating team in question that had fish in their livewell before the event started.

A lot of teams don't check their measuring boards to the one used in the bump area, and that is a huge mistake. You have to make sure that your board matches up with the one the tournament is using. In my opinion, it's a myth amongst tournament fisherman that fish shrink, or relax after being in the livewell. The big problem is not this, it's consistency in measuring fish, and being thourough and checking each side too when you measure, as one side can sometimes be longer and vice versa.

Teams that had 0 by their names especially on the second day are ones that chose to pitch their fish out and not weigh them in on most occasions. They don't see much benefit to waiting in line and weighing a basket that won't move them up significantly.

Now on to the Sask tournament regulations of 3 under 55 and two over that or 2 over 70 in the case of the Vanity. It's way tougher to get your two overs and have a quality slot fish program to go with them. There is nothing wrong with the tournament formats in Alberta, but in Sask it is way better in my opinion. Hold your 5 fish all day, way less tailpiping, and even with Alberta's regs allowing you to weigh all fish over 50, do you see any 30+ pound bags in a day? NO!!! You can come from behind with a monster fish or bag and move up a ton in some of the events. It's way more exciting too!

I have done over 100 tournaments myself and attended countless others and have pretty much seen it all go down. This is the first time I have ever won a boat, and it was an absolute pleasure to fish with Steve (Topwater) and come in Second in the Nipawin Vanity Cup.

Chris K

Last edited by Chris K; 10-10-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
I had the opportunity to fish with a tournament pro this past week on the Saskatchewan River from Twin Marine in Nipawin to the mouth at Tobin Lake. I crewed a boat with a fellow forum member who typically fishes with his wife. She was unable to prefish the tourny, so I took her place in the Lund. 5 days in a boat, more than thirty hours of walleye fishing with light gear and tackle (#10 octopus-beak hooks on a 6# fluorocarbon leader 9' long, trailing behind a 1/2 oz tungsten bell sinker) trolling at .5 mph in a river flowing at 10mph with a 25 mph wind! Talk about a steep learning curve at boat control.

Talk about a lesson in extreme patience while using a Lindy rig and hooking giant walleye, successfully bringing them to the boat and into the (personal) record books. BTW. Not every hooked monster makes it to the boat. Sometimes you fight the fish for 5 minutes, just see the weight a couple of times, then gone!!

Many "unders", a ton of "red-zones" and four "overs", including my personal best walleye at 10lb8oz and the next best at 9.5 lbs (or is that 9lb8oz?). Best holes(for me) were at the Cabin and at the Mouth, but the Garbage can, as the Reel Doctor named it (somewhere between Whiterock and Grassy) was good for the "slotties". There were three perch-sized bait stealers to ski in.

Used my Quantum SuperLite PT 7' rod and a Quantum Energy10 loaded with 8lb Vanish mainline.

If Wednesday was Saturday, we would have been on the leader board!

Day five, Friday until 2:00pm, not a fish! Nada. Zip. Nothing. Fishing in the whitecaps is hard. Very hard. Highly recommended for the humbling effect. Proves that there is always a lot more to learn.

I will be back next year, as the hospitality, both from the marina operators and the town, was very gratifying. The pros are all good guys, some of whom I have met and talked with, and the Lund dealer is a superior boat shop to deal with. And, fingers crossed, I might have lined up a ride next Vanity Cup. I hope my friend and his wife are on the leader board going into today's fishing.

Free
Yes we had a blast, have to do it again sometime.To bad the boat broke
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Chris, that is a very good point about the measuring boards. I have 3 of them and just last year i put all 3 together to see if they matched. I was surprised to see all of them were different. I finally talked a fish cop into giving me one of his and thats the only one that goes in my boat during derbies.

And a BIG CONGRATS to you and Topwater!!!

Last edited by Shmag; 10-10-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 PM

We should being checking our boards when we sign in.
It's not like we didn't have the time!!
Any discrepincies could be delt with at that time. Or at least you know where your board measures at.. I bet the boards would measure all over the place if compared with other teams or even with the CO's.. Obviously!!

Last edited by warriorboy10; 10-10-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Banned

Default E Tech worries and sundry expenses

Indeed ours (Bob's) was the boat that, while it made it to port under its own power, spent two days on the disabled list due to a faulty coil (we saw another boat being towed in one day). $335.00 to rent a Crestliner spray factory c/w 50hp Honda for two days, plus the dollars spent to get the Lund out of the shop that Bob spent, drove the costs thru' the roof. Fishing is not a cheap sport; fees, lodging, bait and lunch, piled on top of the initial costs like boat, trailer, licences, gas and transportation (and the list goes on) make tournament angling cost prohibitive for most fishermen.

As an example, for my little Lund I still need to spend 2 grand for a Vantage electric motor, 1800 for a terrova bow-mount, seven hundred for batteries and on-board charger, and 15 hundred+ on a pair of sonar/gps units. Ouch!! That last number could be signifacantly higher but I do not need a $3500.00 fish finder on the dash. Like I have that kind of money.

And I probably should have a bigger boat and engine, maybe a tandem axle fifth wheel and a one ton dually, several more high priced rods, a bigger net and a Bass Pro Shop hat.

But wait! There are prizes. Big prizes. But do you ever have to be good at this to win one of them. The biggest problem, in my view, is the addictive nature of this activity. Boat a couple of 10 pounders and see if you don't get wired.

What should I do? A life of crime to pay for my addiction, or get a part time job so I can no longer claim to be retired?

And a hearty thanks to my good friend Walleye Bob, who put me on to this sport and has aided me in my education in the fine art of walleye fishing on ultralight tackle.

Free
Old 10-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Thats part of the reason we still run the 1994 Astro. Brian O. said he remembers when we had the big boat. lol. Seems everyone has a $65G boat with a 300 now ! Thank goodness for Etec 5 yr warranty , this is the first year we didn't lose an injector. Its expensive to fish tournaments , with family and costs , we can only do Nipawin now. At least its home for dad and that keeps costs down. And some day . . . . . . .