Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
what happens when you let non union scum build and operate
This comment above is truly written by someone that couldnt make a living working in the real world, do you believe your union brothers and sisters would be proud of your comment. In the real world you are RESPONSIBLE for your actions, and are judged by your work ethic and professionalism. If you screw up its your but in a sling, you have to be accountable for your actions.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Exclamation

You are all arguing like dummies, what is wrong with you? point is there is now oil in the R.d.r, now they have to figure out how to clean it fast and keep it from happening again, you cannot get anything done here if you argue with each other what are you all in like grade 2 or grade 3?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

WOW!! environmental disaster sure brings out the best in people errrrrrrrrrrrr at least it should...

If the apologists think that the situation is overblown i suggest you take a drive and speak to the affected land owners, maybe then your false impressions will subside.

Seriously though, where did all the intellectuals go?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
WOW!! environmental disaster sure brings out the best in people errrrrrrrrrrrr at least it should...

If the apologists think that the situation is overblown i suggest you take a drive and speak to the affected land owners, maybe then your false impressions will subside.

Seriously though, where did all the intellectuals go?
I did not read the thread like you. I don't see anyone making light of the spill. I

get the sense everyone wishes it did not happen.

Some people think all oil and gas activity should cease in the Province (because no system can be make perfect) while others say if it was negligence, the company should pay and if it was an accident the learnings should help prevent it from happening again or significantly reduce it.

Everyone agrees that it needs to be cleaned up fast.

Maybe you are just misinterpreting the average person and making the same mistake of labeling everyone falsely or falsely labeling a group as being bad when they are not.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
You are all arguing like dummies, what is wrong with you? point is there is now oil in the R.d.r, now they have to figure out how to clean it fast and keep it from happening again, you cannot get anything done here if you argue with each other what are you all in like grade 2 or grade 3?
I am a mirror and you are glue...what ever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

I know you are but what am I?

Teacher...guess what Shawn said about you?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I did not read the thread like you. I don't see anyone making light of the spill. I

get the sense everyone wishes it did not happen.

Some people think all oil and gas activity should cease in the Province (because no system can be make perfect) while others say if it was negligence, the company should pay and if it was an accident the learnings should help prevent it from happening again or significantly reduce it.

Everyone agrees that it needs to be cleaned up fast.

Maybe you are just misinterpreting the average person and making the same mistake of labeling everyone falsely or falsely labeling a group as being bad when they are not.

Accountability is all anyone can hope for.

Oil is unfortunately a necessary evil of the word we all live in.

Sorry if you took my general comments personal.

Some people sadly are directly affected, unlike us observers from afar, its one thing to have an opinion from where we stand but imagine for a second that this happened in your backyard...

Down playing the situation hurts those directly affected by the situation and comes across as offensive.

I'm not sure that you can over exaggerate an oil spill on your river front property, i'm just glad its not my property and i feel for them the most, how long will it take them to trust the system again?

Theres no need to label anyone, everyone is who they are.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Accountability is all anyone can hope for.

Oil is unfortunately a necessary evil of the word we all live in.

Sorry if you took my general comments personal.

Some people sadly are directly affected, unlike us observers from afar, its one thing to have an opinion from where we stand but imagine for a second that this happened in your backyard...

Down playing the situation hurts those directly affected by the situation and comes across as offensive.

I'm not sure that you can over exaggerate an oil spill on your river front property, i'm just glad its not my property and i feel for them the most, how long will it take them to trust the system again?

Theres no need to label anyone, everyone is who they are.
All I can do is speak from experience both having worked in the environmental business and in the oil and gas business.

Nothing makes a company freak out and pour money and resources into a problem more than an environmental problem. Employees can be fired for causing it...and can be rewarded for preventing it. There are many checks and balances in place to stop it from happening and the cost of a spill is magnitudes more than fixing it before it happens and the horrible publicity makes the Executives loose tons of sleep.

All I can say is trust me when I state that these issues are never ever taken as trivial or laughed about in board rooms or ignored for other budgetary items.

In fact where I work...all meetings start with safety and environmental updates with a strong emphasis on correcting and preventing problems.

I don't take any comments on here personally. We all have our triggers...environmental is also one of mine and my company is top notch. But still...bad things happen that you don't want to. It is the nature of life. The only guarantees we all have is death and taxes.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Trout Pond

Has anyone been out to the Dickson Trout Pond recently? Was it affected by the spill? I know that it is a seperate basin but I wasn't sure if it was connected to the lake somehow.

Aside from all the argument, the damage was done - no amount of money or punishment can change that. It's a shame.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Does anyone know if fishing has been closed anywhere due to the spill? I heard a rumour that in the first few days they were stopping people from fishing Glennifer Lake. I'm particularly wondering about the Red Deer River from Dickson to the city of Red Deer.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM

Oh where to start.

As a Safety Advisor in the Oil, Gas and Petro Chemical industries let me start by saying this spill has me just reeling. I have been asking questions of corporate execs and politicians alike for a long time as to why certain installations of pipeline are done the way they are. But we all know I will never get to voice my concerns to anyone who can truly effect change.

This spill had a VERY Very fast response time. Probably the fast in any Alberta Spill to date. That being said it maddens me that it actually happened.

Glennifer Lake and Dickson Trout Pond were going to be the home of our Second Annual Eastslope Kayak Fishing Classic. Well that is dead and gone now.

Glennifer is off limits and access to Dickson Trout Pond is closed so fishing there is not feasible for this summer more than likely.

Now for the part people will discuss. With any luck there should not be too much damage done to the lake and hopefully they will get it cleaned up very soon. I know people always say how the oil is going to kill everything but honestly... some people need to open their eyes. I am sure many of us have seen the oil leeching from a river bank somewhere. It happens in nature all the time. Granted not in this amount but fingers crossed we do not loose a great fishery due to aged equipment and poor work practices.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Banned

Cool

boots on the ground is my way. so any one wishing to help get your self down to the james river hall and get your self registered as a volunteer. the folks at the plains incident center are helpful and welcoming to any that wish to help once the incident has been deemed safe for non qualified individuals. my boots are packed awaiting the call to help. any that need further info feel free to pm myself and I will give what info I have.
jeff.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:23 AM

I tip my hat to you FishGunner. My Whhaaa Whaa comment was not directed at you, or the others truely concerned in any way, more so at the people pionting fingers, and just looking for something to B@#$h about. I wade & pontoon the red deer and take my family there, and is pretty close to home for me. unforunately am unable to come help. Good on anyone that can help!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
The Gateway line is not for Natural gas,........and I don't think you want to be digging up a line to lay a common line beside it????....wow, the lawyers would get rich there if there was ever a leak....
sorry for bringing this up again, but come on hal. the trans mouintain pipeline has been in operration since 1958. for someone that is in the bussiness, you should be aware of this,,,no?

http://www.kne.com/business/canada/transmountain.cfm

what's my point???

my point is, there is NO reason the ngpl can't be built beside/parallel to the transmountain line.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
sorry for bringing this up again, but come on hal. the trans mouintain pipeline has been in operration since 1958. for someone that is in the bussiness, you should be aware of this,,,no?

http://www.kne.com/business/canada/transmountain.cfm

what's my point???

my point is, there is NO reason the ngpl can't be built beside/parallel to the transmountain line.
Companies don't pull up old lines...there is to much surface disturbance even if you just tried to pull out smaller lengths. That being said...once steel prices jump high enough...all the old pipelines in the Province will be a gold mine for salvage.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/16...by-oil-cleanup

Sounds like they are moving it along. The government does not lay fines or charges until after the investigation and after the clean up...so we will see what happens.

Twinning an existing line is easier but still requires the whole process.

Are you and hal arguing about different things? You are talking natural gas pipeline...hal is talking about an oil pipeline.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 AM

i'm talking about the ngpl, hal and many others seem unaware that there is already an oil/crude line too an exsisting port facilialty in vancouver. doesn't seem to me and alot of other people, that building a new line, to a new facilaty. putting the skeena and the north coast at risk makes much sense. if we really need to supply china with oil, than lets build the new line beside the exsisting transmountian pipeline, keeping it all along one route.

http://www.kne.com/business/canada/T...ansion_Map.pdf

who cares if it takes 24 hr longer to ship it from vancouver to china.

i realize that the ngpl has nothing to do with the red deer spill, but it does show the importance of planning where we put these lines for/in the future.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
i'm talking about the ngpl, hal and many others seem unaware that there is already an oil/crude line too an exsisting port facilialty in vancouver. doesn't seem to me and alot of other people, that building a new line, to a new facilaty. putting the skeena and the north coast at risk makes much sense. if we really need to supply china with oil, than lets build the new line beside the exsisting transmountian pipeline, keeping it all along one route.

http://www.kne.com/business/canada/T...ansion_Map.pdf

who cares if it takes 24 hr longer to ship it from vancouver to china.

i realize that the ngpl has nothing to do with the red deer spill, but it does show the importance of planning where we put these lines for/in the future.
That is the kind of proactive debate that the system needs. Reflecting the need for a pipeline and then just looking at all the economic, socio-economic, environmental and logistical factors to where it should go.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM

It's a fishing forum guys......unless it pertains to the fishery and what impact it has on the fishery then this type of discussion prob has no place on this forum.
Just saying, lol
Old 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Suspended User

Default What a mess

These pics are from one spot out by Kevisville. There is a pool of oil in the pile of treesabout ten feet in diameter.
We walked down along this narrow wash. Every step we took had a sheen of oil in it. This is through a farm pasture. Every corner, rock and root that is along the current side of the river is contaminated.l
This spill makes me shiver. I have worked on 15 spills in my life and this is one of the worst I have seen.
People had better realize what is to come. Water rationing for communities down stream will be happening soon. There's not going to be any reserve of water because its going to take all summer to clean the banks of the river and lake.
This is not a little spill that will be cleaned up in a couple weeks. Folks its time to wise up.Stop making yourselves look like fools by arguing. If you were TRUE outdoorsmen/women you would be showing concern for this watershed. Its almost totally destroyed for 40 kilometers or so. I expect the river to be closed to fishing for a couple of seasons not months.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Suspended User

Default Pictures that didn't show up.

I hope people will realize how massive of an effort it is going to take to clean this up. Its going to take a lot of foot work as most of the mess is away from roads. Hope to see some of you out helping clean up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-16_17-14-40_857.jpg (67.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-16_17-14-30_452.jpg (94.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-16_17-12-24_34.jpg (92.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-06-16_17-11-44_180.jpg (39.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

I visited the James River Hall today and met with the Plains personnel representing them. They explained everything in detail and I was VERY impressed with their sincerity. As unfortunate as this spill and the resulting effects are, they satisfied me that they are doing everything possible to rectify this.

I read FishGunner's post and did not add my name to the volunteer list, but will do so tomorrow. I wish our new MLA would get his head out of his a** and instead of grandstanding with negativity to the media, put forward some positive ideas and thoughts. Some people seem to eat up his style of getting attention, but it does not do anything to solve the issues at hand.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
These pics are from one spot out by Kevisville. There is a pool of oil in the pile of treesabout ten feet in diameter.
We walked down along this narrow wash. Every step we took had a sheen of oil in it. This is through a farm pasture. Every corner, rock and root that is along the current side of the river is contaminated.l
This spill makes me shiver. I have worked on 15 spills in my life and this is one of the worst I have seen.
People had better realize what is to come. Water rationing for communities down stream will be happening soon. There's not going to be any reserve of water because its going to take all summer to clean the banks of the river and lake.
This is not a little spill that will be cleaned up in a couple weeks. Folks its time to wise up.Stop making yourselves look like fools by arguing. If you were TRUE outdoorsmen/women you would be showing concern for this watershed. Its almost totally destroyed for 40 kilometers or so. I expect the river to be closed to fishing for a couple of seasons not months.
"Its being contained"

"We are sorry"

"The severity of the situation is being sensationalized"

Do any of the above statements offer you any comfort or peace of mind?

This will be a test of leadership, and those who've invested trust in them.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Does crude sometimes sink?

Was out on Glennifer on Friday night, north side of the Carefree resort peninsula. Noticed a lot of balls of foam floating on the water that smelled like oil. Also noticed a fairly large area in 20 feet of water, where there was a 2 - 3 ft layer of clutter showing at around the 8 foot mark. I dropped a spoon down about 10 feet it came up with an definate oily film on it. I thought that oil always floated on water, can all the sediment stirred up in the water have caused some of the oil to sink?