Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Default Oil Spill in Jackson Creek - Tributary of RDR

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...oil-spill.html
Old 06-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Dickson Dam has been closed? I can't see that happening to much longer the way it has been raining. They would have to let some water pas no?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ its been revealed that the oil is boiling up in the RDR itself, thats the 1st lie soooooo far, lets see where this goes and punish the environmental offenders to the extreme.

Hows that water RD? Would you let your children drink from the tap? Do you trust the people in charge? I hope you chose wisely during the last election, you'll be dealing with this crap for decades now.

Its the real golden rule "he with all the gold makes the rules".

What a sad day...
Old 06-08-2012, 02:14 PM

Default oil

Now, I know why so many people from Alberta coming to fish in Saskatchewan.
it is sad to see how we treat our nature and resources. All we think of is money !!! I hope Harper will wake up soon and take care of it before he get kick out of the office.

Last edited by laut; 06-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laut View Post
Now, I know why so many people from Alberta coming to fish in Saskatchewan.
it is sad to see how we treat our nature and resources. All we think of is money !!! I hope Harper will wake up soon and take care of it before he get kick out of the office.
Just wait till the boom hits (now) in Saskatchewan and they start building more roads into some of the north country. Easy access to all those pristine fishing lakes, increased fishing pressure and oil flowing around pipelines like, well, Alberta. Enjoy it well you can Saskies.....you're next.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Banned

Oil doesn't efect fish cause it's bin in that river for a long time.

They will cleen it up good to.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:57 PM

i thought rocky7 said pipeline companys are well "anal" with safety precautions to prevent this sort of thing. how could this be happening so often??

very sad indeed....... just imagine a much larger pipeline and the skeena. all to save 24hr shipping to china.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
i thought rocky7 said pipeline companys are well "anal" with safety precautions to prevent this sort of thing. how could this be happening so often??

very sad indeed....... just imagine a much larger pipeline and the skeena. all to save 24hr shipping to china.
Have you noticed that the usual suspects who are defenders of all things oil have not said boo about this?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

This story is just anuther exsample of flaky enviromentists (terrorists!) lieing to the media to destroy industry we work so hard for.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Have you noticed that the usual suspects who are defenders of all things oil have not said boo about this?
They'll wait till the Co. spin Drs. have spoken and get the "facts".
Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Maybe they have jobs and can't post until they get off work.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
x 1000 !!!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I think instead of pointing fingers at folks that participate on an online forum, perhaps you might want to be asking the pipeline owner why this has happened?

Then when you finish asking those responsible, why not get a hold of the MLA that is in your area and ask them what are they going to do to a) get it cleaned up, b) fine those responsible c) ensure that it doesn't happen again by tightening up a self regulatory industry.

When you are done that then maybe you can get in touch with whatever conservation org is in the area and VOLUNTEER to help out with the clean up.

Then maybe after all of that you can gripe about anonymous people on a forum's lack of contributions to your accusations.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Do they work for oil companies?...
Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post
I think instead of pointing fingers at folks that participate on an online forum, perhaps you might want to be asking the pipeline owner why this has happened?

Then when you finish asking those responsible, why not get a hold of the MLA that is in your area and ask them what are they going to do to a) get it cleaned up, b) fine those responsible c) ensure that it doesn't happen again by tightening up a self regulatory industry.

When you are done that then maybe you can get in touch with whatever conservation org is in the area and VOLUNTEER to help out with the clean up.

Then maybe after all of that you can gripe about anonymous people on a forum's lack of contributions to your accusations.
Well Said !!!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:00 PM

it would be quite upsetting if it were found out that they were aware of the leak and nothing gwas done. ironic that it occured at a time of very high water volume. two ruptures in four years,,,,alberta is being run like a third world country.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Oil doesn't efect fish cause it's bin in that river for a long time.

They will cleen it up good to.
Who is this guy?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:21 PM

what happens when you let non union scum build and operate
Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Trust me, the oil company did not turn a blind eye on the oil spill. They will clean it us and shut down lines as soon as they find a problem. They are not self governed. The oil companies are governed by government and private rules and regulations. There are huge fines for people and companies that are not in compliance. To curb the high dependence on oil and gas and so that everyone does not have a hate on for the oil companies, I think that we should shut down some of the large factories and main hiways in and around the cities this is where alot of the fossil fuels are used. Everyone should be alloted a certain amount of fuel. Once it is gone then walk or bike. I have worked on both sides of the fence and understand both sides. There are alot of people and companies out there trying their hardest to make sure things like this do not happen. Can we give them credit for the long hours they put in. Some of these is the WCSS, for alot of this is volunteer. With no fossil fuels there would be not food, heat, homes, electricity ect.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 PM

In all honesty I agree with just about everything here. But we are human. Mistakes and accidents happen. I'm sure every body on here today has made a mistake. It's our nature to make mistakes. All of us also use this natural resource we call oil. There is a couple points in my discussion I want to touch on. 1000 years ago oil naturally flowed and released out of the ground. California was actually built on tar sands. Where today they still find fossils in these prehistoric ruptures. Where animals would get trapped in it suffer, and die. This has happened for thousands of years. Now the amount and quantity of these holdings were not as large on a scale. But effected populations of animals that relied and lived in these swamps. The worlds markets depend on us (Alberta). The world needs oil. It is unfortunate that the countries we supply with this natural resource can not help, support the accidents that may not be able to be prevented or stopped. There's a fixed price for oil. But when you buy a bottle of pop or a case of beer. You pay a deposit. Assuming your gonna wanna get that buck back you recycle it. Meaning, if there was an extra couple dollars a barrel that went to clean ups, preventative maintenance and up to date technology. There is a possibility that these accidents can be minimized. But no way can it ever be stopped completely, sorta like when you throw that pop bottle out that's only worth $.05. Human error will always happen.
This is non the less in my mind a tradigity I love fishing, hunting ducks and geese who all rely on our outdoors here. I don't work for any big wig company in Calgary. I live in a small city called Camrose. I work for an advertising firm. I want to make it clear, that we should not judge or curse what's has happened. Because it will always happen, for the rest of our time and our children's time and so on. What we need to fix is where some of the money from oil is actually going. How when these spills, leaks begin to happen, if we had better response and faster technology showing pressure sensors in designated zones. There is lots we could probably do to minimize the possibilities. But when it comes down to it, we're human. And until I meet someone who has never made a mistake, or never forgot his pliers or bait, or beer going fishing. We have to accept the nature cause of human error.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
it would be quite upsetting if it were found out that they were aware of the leak and nothing gwas done. ironic that it occured at a time of very high water volume.
You seriously believe that? Wow
Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndw View Post
Trust me, the oil company did not turn a blind eye on the oil spill. They will clean it us and shut down lines as soon as they find a problem. They are not self governed. The oil companies are governed by government and private rules and regulations. There are huge fines for people and companies that are not in compliance. To curb the high dependence on oil and gas and so that everyone does not have a hate on for the oil companies, I think that we should shut down some of the large factories and main hiways in and around the cities this is where alot of the fossil fuels are used. Everyone should be alloted a certain amount of fuel. Once it is gone then walk or bike. I have worked on both sides of the fence and understand both sides. There are alot of people and companies out there trying their hardest to make sure things like this do not happen. Can we give them credit for the long hours they put in. Some of these is the WCSS, for alot of this is volunteer. With no fossil fuels there would be not food, heat, homes, electricity ect.
I actually believe that most oil companies really are trying today. I can also tell you of a few stories about some not very responsible oil/gas companies and some of their antics. Talk to many land owners who have to deal with similar problems.

My comment about the usual suspects was made somewhat tongue in cheek, because they are so adamant about defending oil companies, but when there is a problem, they disappear.

I reiterate, most oil companies really are trying, and I know that.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
This story is just anuther exsample of flaky enviromentists (terrorists!) lieing to the media to destroy industry we work so hard for.

Boy thats pretty funny!

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Good points by all. We all need to work together. If someone is not doing their job when it comes to that then yes by all means throw the book at them. Problem is the operators loose their job,or some companies get fined but the fines have to go to the real criminals, the ones that are hiding behind the big companies. For now let's all work together and do what we can to give our daughters and sons the hunting, fishing and outdoors we all so much love and enjoy.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post

you know what they can do???...shut down the entire friggin' industry for 2 years, let everyone freeze in the dark and walk everywhere until the 50-60 year old pipelines are replaced, but wait...it will take longer than 2 years because the greenies will "want to be heard"...just make sure you don't schedule a rally on welfare cheque day..they're busy that day....it will be handled, it's not the end of the world...99.9% will be contained or more...good grief people!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Unhappy

flareking - as of last weekend, about 3/4 of the reservoir was not yet filled. If you know the island directly south of dickson pond....I walked to it. Could walk across most of the lake from dickson point west. Most of glennifer "lake" is a tiny river, so there is lots of water that can fill it up before they have to open things up more at the outlet.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
can guarantee you that line wa built by Union...s....people....dumb post....
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Banned

So, if you guys were the oil company, what would you have done to prevent a leak? I'd be interested in hearing the "professionals" opinions on how they would run an oil company that would never have a single leak in any of their pipelines.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
So, if you guys were the oil company, what would you have done to prevent a leak? I'd be interested in hearing the "professionals" opinions on how they would run an oil company that would never have a single leak in any of their pipelines.
Me too please.......
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
Your a shmuck bud what makes you think a frigen UNION is going to do anything better??

Unions are LAME....the industrial revolution was over some time ago, there aint any need for them. They just promote uselessness.