Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yéil View Post
Then when you finish asking those responsible, why not get a hold of the MLA that is in your area and ask them what are they going to do to a) get it cleaned up, b) fine those responsible c) ensure that it doesn't happen again by tightening up a self regulatory industry.

Well said, and just to clarify:
Actually the oil and gas industry is not self regulating. The ERCB is the governing body and creates the rules and regulations as well as enforcement of in this case the pipeline act. http://www.ercb.ca/portal/server.pt/...ish/ercb_home/

The oil company will get it cleaned up, they will most likely be fined and get a lecture.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM

for starters, if at all possiable, even if it cost more money, keep the lines running together in less sensitive routes. for example the ngpl should follow existing pipeline too vancouver instead of the proposed route. i'm not anti oil, but this kind of thing happens, it allways will. so lets put just a little thought into where we build them.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
for starters, if at all possiable, even if it cost more money, keep the lines running together in less sensitive routes. for example the ngpl should follow existing pipeline too vancouver instead of the proposed route. i'm not anti oil, but this kind of thing happens, it allways will. so lets put just a little thought into where we build them.
nice sentiment. Any idea on the practicality of that? Ever designed an oil or gas gathering system? Generally oil companies make a fairly concerted effort to avoid crossing sensitive areas...(mostly because it's expensive to do), sometimes it's unavoidable though. Fact of life.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The Gateway line is not for Natural gas,........and I don't think you want to be digging up a line to lay a common line beside it????....wow, the lawyers would get rich there if there was ever a leak....
Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM

As we are all parasites on this planet we are all responsable to what happens to this planet. Mother nature will always correct any imbalences. Sounds very dooms day I know but small scale or large scale the end result is always the same. The host dies. It just takes longer when it's large scale. I have fished on the Bow river after a long strerch of dry weather followed by a haevy rain fall and the water just reaks of gasoline. Just pointing out that this sort of think happens and people are not even aware of it some times.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
So, if you guys were the oil company, what would you have done to prevent a leak? I'd be interested in hearing the "professionals" opinions on how they would run an oil company that would never have a single leak in any of their pipelines.
I'd like to know how to get your head out of your butt... you seem to be suffering from headupbuttitis.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
The Gateway line is not for Natural gas,........and I don't think you want to be digging up a line to lay a common line beside it????....wow, the lawyers would get rich there if there was ever a leak....
Cool... I could use a top up of my retirement fund...lol
Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Cool... I could use a top up of my retirement fund...lol
spoken like a true lawyer....we have to have the "talk"....LOL!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
spoken like a true lawyer....we have to have the "talk"....LOL!!!
Lawyers never talk... they assert or contend or stipulate...lol
Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Lawyers never talk... they assert or contend or stipulate...lol
...you forgot the most important one....Bill........
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
nice sentiment. Any idea on the practicality of that? Ever designed an oil or gas gathering system? Generally oil companies make a fairly concerted effort to avoid crossing sensitive areas...(mostly because it's expensive to do), sometimes it's unavoidable though. Fact of life.
i never designed an oil or gas pipeline, but i did do the legal/land surveys on many, every pipeline i was involved with surveying was the shortest route,least amount of money, as fast as it could happen.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
i never designed an oil or gas pipeline, but i did do the legal/land surveys on many, every pipeline i was involved with surveying was the shortest route,least amount of money, as fast as it could happen.
....and????? your point is????
Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 PM

[QUOTE=NSRfishing;1471133]what happens when you let non union scum build and operate[/QUOTE

Give your head a shake.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Oil doesn't efect fish cause it's bin in that river for a long time.

They will cleen it up good to.
Really??? Who the **** turned the computer on and keyed this response for you? Half-witted comments makes me think you wouldn't have the braincells to even post here. Must have had help.

Old or New, pipeline infrastructure is not be trusted as we have seen in the last 12 months or longer. Especially if we have folks like this poster in the industry. Keep it away from the Skeena.

For all those who think this is just another article drawn up by enviro's trying to take down your industry, let me pour you a glass of water while we debate.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Really??? Who the **** turned the computer on and keyed this response for you? Half-witted comments makes me think you wouldn't have the braincells to even post here. Must have had help.

Old or New, pipeline infrastructure is not be trusted as we have seen in the last 12 months or longer. Especially if we have folks like this poster in the industry. Keep it away from the Skeena.

For all those who think this is just another article drawn up by enviro's trying to take down your industry, let me pour you a glass of water while we debate.
I think Beeguy was being sarcastic.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
I never designed an oil or gas pipeline either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Checkmate Sergie...
Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 AM

We need the oil/gas. We dont want to pay what it costs now. We dont want any spills and we want the ones that do happen cleaned up as completely and quickly as possible. How can we have it all?

I agree with those that feel this is a horrific disaster. I also have no idea what to do to stop it from happening again without completely crippling our transportation network.

I am angry but I dont know who to be angry at. Never really been someone that shouted at a person or industry without being able to say what they should have done.

If we are going to live in a province that has oil and gas as its primary source of income and enjoy those spoils how can we expect it to shut every pipeline that crosses a creek down ?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:17 AM

As long as the companies are using state of the art leak detection systems with fully automated shut in systems and the pipelines are being monitored 24hrs/day with some sort of SCADA system then fine. Leaks will happen, clean them up as quickly and completely as possible. If chances are being taken and shortcuts are happening then that is unacceptable and the companies should be scrutinized by the ERCB and forced to put better measures in place. We all have to remember, Plains is a huge liquid transporter. TransCanada has pipeline blowouts too, but it is gas so the environmental impact is much lower, with companies that are this large they are statistically going to have more spills.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Apparently this is a non-operating line that was left full of oil. Does anyone know if monitoring systems would work in a line with no flow. The real question should be was it going to operate again or is it an old line that they just shut down and walked away from? If it is I think the owners of the 1000 + recreational properties on Glennifer might want to get some legal advise in regards to lost property value.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

Cool

sad day for my local river, I am fortunate I get my water from a well. this is the second leak in a short piriod of time on that section of the RDR. I find this upsetting bye the fact the river was just recovering from the last spill. small bulls, browns and brook trout had begun to show up in that area. giving evidence of a level of rehabilitation. this has now been undone in the blink of an eye. this is not a time for bickering, it is a time for action to prevent further damage. if you care show up, do someting productive to help. I am making inquiries on what can be done by joe public to help the situation. for all those still thinking the northern gateway pipe line is a good idea. if this happened on one coastal river we would have just lost an entire year class of fish(spawners) along with an other year class of juveniles. this cannot be allowed to happen. I will matter litle to most, my scotsmans creek just got wiped out in a few moments after that pipe line broke.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
This story is just anuther exsample of flaky enviromentists (terrorists!) lieing to the media to destroy industry we work so hard for.
I am glad you see how things really are. You must be getting a little older and therefore a little wiser.

Excellent post.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
...you forgot the most important one....Bill........
......buy the hour...and sometimes in four figures......tick tick tick tick.

Those darn accountants do the same thing.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
They'll wait till the Co. spin Drs. have spoken and get the "facts".
Did you grow up in Alberta during the 60's., or are you another one who came to Alberta to complain and whine about this province with one exception, your paycheck.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
......buy the hour...and sometimes in four figures......tick tick tick tick.

Those darn accountants do the same thing.
Actually, we bill by 1/20th of an hour. (well, those in private practice do...)

Seems the crews are reporting they've managed to contain the spill with booms etc. I know the booms we use with our ships do a pretty good job to contain stuff.

Anyone know if the water/weather conditions are allowing the boom to stay stable or is there a chance of a failure (waves, fast water etc)?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Actually, we bill by 1/20th of an hour. (well, those in private practice do...)

Seems the crews are reporting they've managed to contain the spill with booms etc. I know the booms we use with our ships do a pretty good job to contain stuff.

Anyone know if the water/weather conditions are allowing the boom to stay stable or is there a chance of a failure (waves, fast water etc)?
Weird...I've hired "other" people that charge by the 20th of an hour too...maybe they got the idea from Lawyers???...LOL, anyway , yah the booms contain it pretty good and they have it surrounded at the west end. Also they apparently started skimming it already late yesterday. Heard some interviews to day from locals, they are not running around like there hair is on fire, like some people here....I guess they actually know what's going on
Old 06-10-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Weird...I've hired "other" people that charge by the 20th of an hour too...maybe they got the idea from Lawyers???...LOL, anyway , yah the booms contain it pretty good and they have it surrounded at the west end. Also they apparently started skimming it already late yesterday. Heard some interviews to day from locals, they are not running around like there hair is on fire, like some people here....I guess they actually know what's going on
I suspect there are actually a few people on here that do actually know what's going on. Some actually live awful close to the sites. Hell, the GF is at the command center twice daily, so there are actually a few in the know. Not quite as rosy as you make it out to be.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:26 PM

Thumbs down Boo............................................... ...

Quote:
Oil doesn't efect fish cause it's bin in that river for a long time.

They will cleen it up good to.
You must be smoking the stuff as well judging from your comments.
I am truly disappointed by your comments.......what ever............
Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I suspect there are actually a few people on here that do actually know what's going on. Some actually live awful close to the sites. Hell, the GF is at the command center twice daily, so there are actually a few in the know. Not quite as rosy as you make it out to be.
X two. A family member of mine is involved. Some oil company apologists need to take of the rose coloured glasses... sometimes sh!t is actually sh!t and can't be brushed off with ad hominem comments.

It works a lot better when rather than making excuses to work together to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
just sayin', different stories from the folks interviewed that " I heard" than the media and others are reporting.....

we all know the media and greenies would never blow anything out of proportion, right???
Old 06-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
X two. A family member of mine is involved. Some oil company apologists need to take of the rose coloured glasses... sometimes sh!t is actually sh!t and can't be brushed off with ad hominem comments.

It works a lot better when rather than making excuses to work together to make sure this doesn't happen again.
This is the one timeI will agree with one of your posts, but working "together" means just that, not ranting and whining about things, stop, slow down, figure out what happened and make sure it doesn't happen again. Knowledge is strength....running for Lawyers and compensation doesn't help the situation. I as well am having trouble with the rumors reported that it was a "dead" line, and still leaked the numbers they're talking about?, lotsa speculation going on....