Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

Default If You Catch Provincial Record but Release

I few years back I caught a 6+lbs Rocky Mountain Whitefish in the Red Deer River. It was the last few days of my summer up in Alberta playing baseball for the Red Deer Riggers. I had no clue where to take it for authentication, no time to have it taxidermy, and the big fellow was looking at me with very sad eyes. Plus I was fishing with a resident fishing license when I clearly should have had an out of province license. (Hey I was a broke college kid). ! So, after keeping it out of the water for entirely too long, I nursed it back to swimming away to be free and pass on it's genes. I told my uncle about my catch, and he said, "oh great, we have a brain dead trophy whitefish out there". I felt horrible and still do all these years later!

He swam away fine.....do you think I hurt him? I nursed him back for some time, with several attempts to swim on his own, and made sure he was pretty strong when I finally let him loose.

And, when you release a record fish...do you have bragging rights that you own the provincial record? I say yes! !!!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:15 PM

The only thing I believe about your comments is the brain dead part, not the fish, but you. Please go away!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
The only thing I believe about your comments is the brain dead part, not the fish, but you. Please go away!!!!!!
True story.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffOrBust View Post
True story.
Troll?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
Troll?
I would kind of agree.........
Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Banned

Pics or it didn't happen
Old 11-28-2014, 12:42 AM

You're not banned yet ?!?!? Sounds like another Epic story.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adwittoutdoors View Post
You're not banned yet ?!?!? Sounds like another Epic story.
sounds kinda spinny to me

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Banff...
You likely caught a Lake Whitefish. There is some in the Red deer. I've caught them to 5 lbs. tough to tell them apart.
A fish caught illegally would probably not be recognized.

Don
Old 11-28-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I few years back I caught a 6+lbs Rocky Mountain Whitefish in the Red Deer River. It was the last few days of my summer up in Alberta playing baseball for the Red Deer Riggers. I had no clue where to take it for authentication, no time to have it taxidermy, and the big fellow was looking at me with very sad eyes. Plus I was fishing with a resident fishing license when I clearly should have had an out of province license. (Hey I was a broke college kid). ! So, after keeping it out of the water for entirely too long, I nursed it back to swimming away to be free and pass on it's genes. I told my uncle about my catch, and he said, "oh great, we have a brain dead trophy whitefish out there". I felt horrible and still do all these years later!

And, when you release a record fish...do you have bragging rights that you own the provincial record? I say yes! !!!
Don't let it bother you Banff. It really was not a provincial record because I caught a much larger one a few years ago, got an 87 lb Rocky. Right after that I gave up recreational drugs and took up photography. Fish are now much smaller and less colorful.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Banff...
You likely caught a Lake Whitefish. There is some in the Red deer. I've caught them to 5 lbs. tough to tell them apart.
A fish caught illegally would probably not be recognized.

Don
Just googled Lake Whitefish. I don't think so, but it was a long time ago so anything is possible. It was before digital camera's were around in the mid-80's. He took a floating rapala off the top. I was actually seeing if there were any pike in that deep little hole.

In my mind, I have the record. !
Old 11-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Just googled Lake Whitefish. I don't think so, but it was a long time ago so anything is possible. It was before digital camera's were around in the mid-80's. He took a floating rapala off the top. I was actually seeing if there were any pike in that deep little hole.

Well there you have it, legend in your own mind. Might as well retire to the castle you own and slay dragons now.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Red Deer is a long way from Arizona...
Old 11-28-2014, 09:34 AM

I caught a 36 inch walleye in Pigeon lake with my bare hands....true story (no really I did!) so I think I will claim that record.

LC
Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Pics or it didn't happen

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-28-2014, 10:16 AM

It does raise on interesting question.

What if you think you may have a record and your intent is to release the fish. Say someone catches a potential record at a C&R lake.

Picture and measurement enough? If you have no scale how then can you verify anything?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Red Deer is a long way from Arizona...
I played Semi-Pro baseball for the Red Deer Riggers for 3 years after college. I have a bunch of relatives all over Alberta. My grandfather had 2 sections of land just south of Red Deer when I was growing up. I'm up in Calgary, and Banff frequently. Are we playing wack-a-mole? lol!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Apparently a few years back meant .... Back in the 80's, Just a few years ago !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I played Semi-Pro baseball for the Red Deer Riggers for 3 years after college. I have a bunch of relatives all over Alberta. My grandfather had 2 sections of land just south of Red Deer when I was growing up. I'm up in Calgary, and Banff frequently. Are we playing wack-a-mole? lol!
I have to bite on this one. What exactly constitutes 'semi-pro'? For that matter WTF does semi pro even mean? The red deer riggers are, and have been an amateur baseball team since 1981. So what was semi pro about the team you were on? I played junior hockey. I collected a paycheck...but I was still playing on an amateur team. Im confused, or are you one of those guys that woulda coulda shoulda but only played 'semi-pro' because a bad hamstring and because of the 'politics'?
Old 11-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
I have to bite on this one. What exactly constitutes 'semi-pro'? For that matter WTF does semi pro even mean? The red deer riggers are, and have been an amateur baseball team since 1981. So what was semi pro about the team you were on? I played junior hockey. I collected a paycheck...but I was still playing on an amateur team. Im confused, or are you one of those guys that woulda coulda shoulda but only played 'semi-pro' because a bad hamstring and because of the 'politics'?
From Wikipedia:
A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, making the athlete not a full professional athlete.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Shot a unicorn with a golden slingshot, she scored 21 and 3/8 pope and young.

Without a picture, certified scale (or measuring tape), and witness upholding a C&R might be tough.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
Apparently a few years back meant .... Back in the 80's, Just a few years ago !
I was just about to say the same thing. This troll is pretty amateur if he can't even keep his story straight. At least SpinNFlyFish does a better job as a troll
Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
From Wikipedia:
A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, making the athlete not a full professional athlete.
Ha ha one of those guys.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
From Wikipedia:
So the many hundreds of players in the cfl that work fulltime jobs aside from playing football professionally in the cfl arent in fact professional ball players.....they are semi pro?

Not to mention, the riggers have always been an amatuer team.

No idea why im arguing with a troll, but posers annoy me. Time to crawl back in your hole mtngnt
Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Records have to be documented- yours wasn't, so no, you don't" own" the record.
You also should not have been fishing with the wrong license so in effect you were fishing illegally.
The hole is already too deep, throw the shovel away and crawl out of it.
Cat
Old 11-29-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:

The part I love most is a floating rapala. Classic funny man here.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Everyone can relax. I caught a 7# last night - no pics - so everyone can rest easy. The record is mine now so BACK OFF!

Also, I grew up watching the Riggers, and got to play a couple games for the Jr. Riggers a few years back, and also umpired Rigger games for several years. What was your name? I would happily corroborate your story for everyone (the part where you played, not the part where they are semi pro).

Cheers

Last edited by wags; 11-29-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Banned

A farmer in a village had a goat and a donkey. The farmer used to make the donkey work hard. He fed the donkey with good food - carrots, radish, corn, etc. The goat was very unhappy since it had to find food by it's own and eat grass. It became very jealous of the donkey. The goat thought of a plan. The goat thought that if the donkey stopped working, it would get the good food the donkey got from the farmer. So the goat pushed the donkey into a large hole. The donkey was badly hurt and it could not walk.

The farmer became very sad seeing the donkey's bad health condition. He wanted the donkey to recover soon from illness since he had to get work from the donkey. The farmer thought that feeding the donkey with goat's soup might make the donkey recover from illness soon. Hence, the farmer killed the goat and gave the donkey it's soup.

So instead of getting the donkey's food, the goat itself became food for the donkey.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:58 AM

I am calling Bust....ain't no way there is any Banff around here.

LC
Old 11-29-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
A farmer in a village had a goat and a donkey. The farmer used to make the donkey work hard. He fed the donkey with good food - carrots, radish, corn, etc. The goat was very unhappy since it had to find food by it's own and eat grass. It became very jealous of the donkey. The goat thought of a plan. The goat thought that if the donkey stopped working, it would get the good food the donkey got from the farmer. So the goat pushed the donkey into a large hole. The donkey was badly hurt and it could not walk.

The farmer became very sad seeing the donkey's bad health condition. He wanted the donkey to recover soon from illness since he had to get work from the donkey. The farmer thought that feeding the donkey with goat's soup might make the donkey recover from illness soon. Hence, the farmer killed the goat and gave the donkey it's soup.

So instead of getting the donkey's food, the goat itself became food for the donkey.
Cool Story Bro , You should tell it again sometime !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be