Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-29-2014, 01:47 PM

I have seen a 5lb 5oz RMW caught out of the RDR. And caught a 5lb myself. Downstream of Burbank. This was before i even had a cell phone let alone a camera phone. Was about 1997ish. No doubt in my mind there could be a 6lber.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:51 PM

And no you dont have bragging rights.. The Guy with his name in the records has it.. You have a story. And the fact that you just say 6+lbs makes it sound like a guestimate to me..
Old 11-29-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffOrBust View Post
A farmer in a village had a goat and a donkey. The farmer used to make the donkey work hard. He fed the donkey with good food - carrots, radish, corn, etc. The goat was very unhappy since it had to find food by it's own and eat grass. It became very jealous of the donkey. The goat thought of a plan. The goat thought that if the donkey stopped working, it would get the good food the donkey got from the farmer. So the goat pushed the donkey into a large hole. The donkey was badly hurt and it could not walk.

The farmer became very sad seeing the donkey's bad health condition. He wanted the donkey to recover soon from illness since he had to get work from the donkey. The farmer thought that feeding the donkey with goat's soup might make the donkey recover from illness soon. Hence, the farmer killed the goat and gave the donkey it's soup.

So instead of getting the donkey's food, the goat itself became food for the donkey.
So how did the soup taste?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post

Also, I grew up watching the Riggers, and got to play a couple games for the Jr. Riggers a few years back, and also umpired Rigger games for several years. What was your name? I would happily corroborate your story for everyone (the part where you played, not the part where they are semi pro).

Cheers
Hey Wags is your name Brian? There were only a few umpires who ump'ed our games at Great Chief. Brian usually was behind the plate. Skinny guy, blondish/brn hair. Always enjoyed him, he was a nice guy. If your last name is Wagner, that sounds familiar. I think I was catching one game when a pitcher was warming up and let a fast ball drill you in the chest one game. LOL Sorry about that, I was a bit hung-over. !

There were only a handful of paid players on the team at that time. I'll give you their initials cause the yuckleberries here will get their panties into a bunch if I give full names.

* TH
* DL
* PD
* Myself
* And the Center Fielder, and Shortstop, who I can't remember their names now.

Everyone else was not paid and not aware those of us who were. Pappa L was running the show at that time and did things old school behind the scenes. Which wasn't exactly league legal, but everything the Riggers did in those early years was old school and we were a powerful organization at that time in the baseball world of Alberta and Canada for that matter. We made the rules....but didn't follow them.

Other team members at that time were...

* CS
* AP
* DP

I can picture the others but can't remember their names now but that should be enough for you to know the validity of my claims. Those were the years we won Nationals every year. Or at least 2 of 3...I think my 3'rd year when the team changed to younger guys, we came in 2'nd. Can't remember now. But those first two years when all the older guys were playing was just an absolutely brilliant time! We were unstoppable and the personalities on those teams were right out the movie Slapshot!

As far as the my Provincial RMW record 6+ lbs'er. He was caught on a top water Rapala with the jointed tail. West of Innisfail is/was a water treatment plant on the Red Deer River. Just before you enter the plant is their chain link fence. Park there and follow the fence-line down the water. You'll find the river has split creating an island. If not high rain water, cross over to the island. Should be about 3' feet of water unless it has rained, (then I wouldn't advise the wading over). Walk down to the end of the island (east) and right there is a massive, deep pool (where the river comes together again), with good swift current running through it on the island side and a nice deep bank-line of slow water. Cast your Rapala over to the bank and twitch, twitch, twitch. Perhaps his great, great, grandson of 8 lbs is waiting.

I don't mind sharing the spot as I have no intention of going back. And it was mid-80's so who knows, that island may not even be there now.

If anyone does go out there....let me know and take some pics. I'd be curious to see again, where my monster, record RMW, came out of.

Last edited by BanffOrBust; 11-29-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Hey Wags is your name Brian? There were only a few umpires who ump'ed our games at Great Chief. Brian usually was behind the plate. Skinny guy, blondish/brn hair. Always enjoyed him, he was a nice guy. If your last name is Wagner, that sounds familiar. I think I was catching one game when a pitcher was warming up and let a fast ball drill you in the chest one game. LOL Sorry about that, I was a bit hung-over. !

There were only a handful of paid players on the team at that time. I'll give you their initials cause the yuckleberries here will get their panties into a bunch if I give full names.

* TH
* DL
* PD
* Myself
* And the Center Fielder, and Shortstop, who I can't remember their names now.

Everyone else was not paid and not aware those of us who were. Pappa L was running the show at that time and did things old school behind the scenes. Which wasn't exactly league legal, but everything the Riggers did in those early years was old school and we were a powerful organization at that time in the baseball world of Alberta and Canada for that matter. We made the rules....but didn't follow them.

Other team members at that time were...

* CS
* AP
* DP

I can picture the others but can't remember their names now but that should be enough for you to know the validity of my claims. Those were the years we won Nationals every year. Or at least 2 of 3...I think my 3'rd year when the team changed to younger guys, we came in 2'nd. Can't remember now. But those first two years when all the older guys were playing was just an absolutely brilliant time! We were unstoppable and the personalities on those teams were right out the movie Slapshot!

As far as the my Provincial RMW record 6+ lbs'er. He was caught on a top water Rapala with the jointed tail. West of Innisfail is/was a water treatment plant on the Red Deer River. Just before you enter the plant is their chain link fence. Park there and follow the fence-line down the water. You'll find the river has split creating an island. If not high rain water, cross over to the island. Should be about 3' feet of water unless it has rained, (then I wouldn't advise the wading over). Walk down to the end of the island (east) and right there is a massive, deep pool (where the river comes together again), with good swift current running through it on the island side and a nice deep bank-line of slow water. Cast your Rapala over to the bank and twitch, twitch, twitch. Perhaps his great, great, grandson of 8 lbs is waiting.

I don't mind sharing the spot as I have no intention of going back. And it was mid-80's so who knows, that island may not even be there now.

If anyone does go out there....let me know and take some pics. I'd be curious to see again, where my monster, record RMW, came out of.
So you were amatuer then. Just like some junior A hockey teams that pay a few players. Doesnt make those players 'semi pro' you goof. Youre a poser, end of story mtngnt
Old 11-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
So you were amatuer then. Just like some junior A hockey teams that pay a few players. Doesnt make those players 'semi pro' you goof. Youre a poser, end of story mtngnt

If you say so. I don't get caught up titles.

I had a blast, extended my playing seasons a few years before going out into the world to get a job, made a few bucks, and fished all summer. Life was pretty darn awesome!

Except for: Provincial RMW Record Holder! That's one title I do have! !!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
If you say so. I don't get caught up titles.

I had a blast, extended my playing seasons a few years before going out into the world to get a job, made a few bucks, and fished all summer. Life was pretty darn awesome!

Except for: Provincial RMW Record Holder! That's one title I do have! !!
I don't see your name on the record book ? ? ? ?

I caught the biggest RMWF I have ever seen, but I also have pics to back it up, But its not a record, it might be close, but far from it !

.... I didn't even weigh him, measure him or think anything of it, just released him ! I may not have seen bigger, but im sure guys on here have ! Just look at the shoulders on him ! that's a pig fishy ! ( Roughly 20" )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Banned

Nice one. But I'd put that one at about 2 lbs being generous.

Mine was twice that length and double the width (from the photo)
I'd say mine was about 26"-28" inches x 7"-8" deep and thick.
And heavy. Not sure when they spawn but I think was in June.
Maybe she was full of eggs.

Just curious, what did you catch him with?

Last edited by BanffOrBust; 11-29-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:

LOL LOL So twice the length, so a 40" x 16" RMWF , Are you sure you were not on drugs when you caught that sturgeon ?.... HOLY SHEEEET MAN.... You should have said it was 40" that would have been way more believable !

I am 6'2" and crouched, that thing is easily 6-9" tall, and easily 20+" .... If you caught a RMWF over 30" that would be insanely huge and probably a Lake White ! ... Get a grip man, I have had many fishing experts look at my RMWF and said that thing is probably the biggest they have seen ! ... Quit fooling yourself, because your not fooling us !

Old 11-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I caught him on a Sturgeon Slide rig , But with much smaller hooks, this was a #6 Octopus hook, with a small chunk of worm on it, and I have used a pickerel rig to catch them too , But hate using them !

Old 11-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
LOL LOL So twice the length, so a 40" x 16" RMWF , Are you sure you were not on drugs when you caught that sturgeon ?.... HOLY SHEEEET MAN.... You should have said it was 40" that would have been way more believable !

I am 6'2" and crouched, that thing is easily 6-9" tall, and easily 20+" .... If you caught a RMWF over 30" that would be insanely huge and probably a Lake White ! ... Get a grip man, I have had many fishing experts look at my RMWF and said that thing is probably the biggest they have seen ! ... Quit fooling yourself, because your not fooling us !

LOL...I said this...

Well, those experts haven't seen the Provincial Record now have they? !!
I have, in my hand.

Just for the benefit of the doubt, since it was a long time ago...lets go with 24" long and 6" deep.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
I caught him on a Sturgeon Slide rig , But with much smaller hooks, this was a #6 Octopus hook, with a small chunk of worm on it, and I have used a pickerel rig to catch them too , But hate using them !
Sturgeon slide rig with small hooks = Sliperel rig.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
LOL...I said this...

Well, those experts haven't seen the Provincial Record now have they? !!
I have, in my hand.

Just for the benefit of the doubt, since it was a long time ago...lets go with 24" long and 6" deep.
That means it would be about the size of mine !

Old 11-29-2014, 05:00 PM

Doesn't this donkey know that there is no such thing as an "out of province" fishing license?

Always nice to keep the trolling to the fishing section though....
Old 11-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Banned

LOL...Out of Country. This was in the mid-80's when people were nice.
No-one cared. Times have changed. I paid my $12 bucks and went fishin.
No I.D. required. Fake address. It was all good back then.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
LOL...Out of Country. This was in the mid-80's when people were nice.
No-one cared. Times have changed. I paid my $12 bucks and went fishin.
No I.D. required. Fake address. It was all good back then.
you admit to being a poacher and think your supposed fish should be a record? Ive caught one a couple ounces under the record (over 5 pounds) no way yours was as big as you claim. why dont you ask the mods to delete your profile now Scotty and save yet another banning. and get a life! get out and fish in the real world instead of trolling in mammas basement

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-29-2014, 05:30 PM

Yawn
Old 11-29-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Sturgeon slide rig with small hooks = Sliperel rig.
lol lol

Old 11-29-2014, 06:11 PM

Nice rmw CBA.... Looks like a little linebacker!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
That's what I don't get. And I say great CBA!! Nice one for sure! But, I was catching RMW this size left and right in my 3 years of living in Alberta. I know none of you believe me but I'm not making it up. Sure, that was on the large side of things but a regular catch.

I don't think the road is still open from another post. But>>>>

Go West through Innisfail. The road has changed from what I hear now. But go through town, over the tracks, by the cemetery, by the golf course, around the bend and you'll run into the bridge over the Red Deer River in about 3/4 of a mile. Turn around and go back (only way for me to give you directions), and the first dirt road to the west (right turn), take it. It will go for about 1/2 a mile and bend to the right, then down to the river. There is a rocky beach there. Just to the left of where the dirt road comes into the beach is shrubs. In front of those shrubs is a very deep hole with undercut bank. 2 lbs Whitefish sit in this hole everyday and all day. You have to go old school. About a 3" nail tied directly to your line on the bottom, and a store bought brown fly with leader tied directly to your line about 24" inches up. The store bought leaders with eyelets are about 8" if I recall (if you want to tie your own leader with eyelet). Royal Coachman will work but I preferred a brown fly without the white in it...brown with black wings seemed to work well. Then buy some maggots at the corner store (last store before the tracks on the right into town, doubt it's still there), maggot onto the fly's hook. 2 usually works best. Throw upstream about 20 feet, about 5' feet out from the bank. If you throw out further than 10' from the bank into the middle you wont' catch anything. They are hugging the bank under the undercut (if it's still there that is). Let it bounce through the deep hole. Keep your line tight as you need to know the difference between the nail bouncing on the rocks and a fish hitting. A fish hitting will just feel different (or not), you will get the hang of it once you catch one.

I know things change but in 1986, I'd catch 2 lbs RMW in this whole every single day, even in the winter.

Maybe like some complain there are no deer left....maybe things have changed and there are no large RMW left.

My theory would be the (at that time), the newly built Dickson Dam ruined that stretch of the river just below it. It was just completed sometime near when I was there. Don't remember.

Happy RMW fishing. From the AB Record Holder! !

Last edited by BanffOrBust; 11-29-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Ty !

Old 11-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
That's what I don't get. And I say great CBA!! Nice one for sure! But, I was catching RMW this size left and right in my 3 years of living in Alberta. I know none of you believe me but I'm not making it up. Sure, that was on the large side of things but a regular catch.

I don't think the road is still open from another post. But>>>>

Go West through Innisfail. The road has changed from what I hear now. But go through town, over the tracks, by the cemetery, by the golf course, around the bend and you'll run into the bridge over the Red Deer River in about 3/4 of a mile. Turn around and go back (only way for me to give you directions), and the first dirt road to the west (right turn), take it. It will go for about 1/2 a mile and bend to the right, then down to the river. There is a rocky beach there. Just to the left of where the dirt road comes into the beach is shrubs. In front of those shrubs is a very deep hole with undercut bank. 2 lbs Whitefish sit in this hole everyday and all day. You have to go old school. About a 3" nail tied directly to your line on the bottom, and a store bought brown fly with leader tied directly to your line about 24" inches up. The store bought leaders with eyelets are about 8" if I recall (if you want to tie your own leader with eyelet). Royal Coachman will work but I preferred a brown fly without the white in it...brown with black wings seemed to work well. Then buy some maggots at the corner store (last store before the tracks on the right into town, doubt it's still there), maggot onto the fly's hook. 2 usually works best. Throw upstream about 20 feet, about 5' feet out from the bank. If you throw out further than 10' from the bank into the middle you wont' catch anything. They are hugging the bank under the undercut (if it's still there that is). Let it bounce through the deep hole. Keep your line tight as you need to know the difference between the nail bouncing on the rocks and a fish hitting. A fish hitting will just feel different (or not), you will get the hang of it once you catch one.

I know things change but in 1986, I'd catch 2 lbs RMW in this whole every single day, even in the winter.

Maybe like some complain there are no deer left....maybe things have changed and there are no large RMW left.

My theory would be the (at that time), the newly built Dickson Dam ruined that stretch of the river just below it. It was just completed sometime near when I was there. Don't remember.

Happy RMW fishing. From the AB Record Holder! !
you must be holding something else

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
you admit to being a poacher and think your supposed fish should be a record? Ive caught one a couple ounces under the record (over 5 pounds) no way yours was as big as you claim. why dont you ask the mods to delete your profile now Scotty and save yet another banning. and get a life! get out and fish in the real world instead of trolling in mammas basement
Well, 5 isn't exactly 6+ is it? LOL. No

Um, yes way!

"Scotty"? Do tell more who this person is.

I have a life...And it's Provincial Rocky Mountain Whitefish record holder and released as any true sportsman would do!

* 1987 June
* Red Dear River south of Red Deer, Alberta
* Floating Rapala on top with hinged tail
* 10 lbs test, spinning rod
* I'd say late afternoon.

What else do you need to know?
Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Um, yes way!

I have a life...And it's Provincial Rocky Mountain Whitefish record holder and released as any true sportsman would do!

* 1987 June

Barometric pressure.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Um, yes way!

* 1987 June

You can be anything you want

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 11-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Barometric pressure.
Between one of my boots floating down the river as I crossed I seem to have lost my B meter, whatever the heck that is! LOL

The river was high that day...I only wore cowboy boots at that time. I'd take off my boots (keep on socks) before I crossed the river each time as this was my go-to fishin hole at that time. The river was a little high. I tucked both cowboy boots in my back jeans as I crossed. Well the swell was high and one boot came loose. Started floating down the river. Oh F...OH FFFF. I made it across....started carrying my pole down the bank and running with the current watching my boot in only wet socks, stepping on bank pebbles but more likely rock after rock bank... ouch, ouch... I finally caught up with my boot, my other boot way back this point on the bank with my rod.. I dash into the water, jeans, socks, and catch my floating boot!

Long walk back to my pole and other boot. But all worth is with my record fish.

Good times

Last edited by BanffOrBust; 11-29-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 PM

You grabbed your boot out of the water and lo and behold a 6lb rmw poured out!! Lol
Old 11-29-2014, 10:19 PM

BanfforBust....you do realize we are laughing at you, not with you. And keeping this charade going is just making it worse.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Banned

I couldn't make this up if I tried. Whatever dudes. I tried to look up a water plant west of Innisfail today but couldn't find it. Anyone....can you find "water treatment plant Red Deer River", (as I remember) ...maybe sewage...some sort of tanks with water in it west of Innisfail. About 1986 or 1987. Had to be South side of river. Whatever. I caught the Provincial Record and released him.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I couldn't make this up if I tried. Whatever dudes. I tried to look up a water plant west of Innisfail today but couldn't find it. Anyone....can you find "water treatment plant Red Deer River", (as I remember) ...maybe sewage...some sort of tanks with water in it west of Innisfail. About 1986 or 1987. Had to be South side of river. Whatever. I caught the Provincial Record and released him.
Sorry man I actually caught a 6.9lber out of the Dickson Dam....just waiting for an official weight, yours just can't cut the mustard anymore. Sorry to knock you off your self constructed pedestal....caught mine on a wooly bugger bead head....on the fly

LC