Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 AM

Default new job

Hi would like to know if anyone works for Teck in sparwood have a job interview would just like to know what its like to work for them

please pm me

thanks

Jim
Old 05-19-2018, 09:27 AM

What department and what position
Old 05-19-2018, 10:14 AM

I have friends at both coal mountain (I think) and Fording river, and they all really seem to enjoy it. the benifits and pay are good, and 4 on 4 off is a pretty good schedule
Old 05-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
What department and what position
pit hull truck don't know department
Old 05-19-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
I have friends at both coal mountain (I think) and Fording river, and they all really seem to enjoy it. the benifits and pay are good, and 4 on 4 off is a pretty good schedule
Thanks
Old 05-19-2018, 04:34 PM

If you work hard listen to your supervisor you will enjoy working for Teck or any other large company. They all have very good supervisor/management training programs and treat good employees well, slackers not so!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If you work hard listen to your supervisor you will enjoy working for Teck or any other large company. They all have very good supervisor/management training programs and treat good employees well, slackers not so!
thanks I guess that would go for most jobs but not all.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:06 PM

Worked several mines.
Save your $ , as they have shut downs as well. Sometimes breaks last many months due to Union stuff, and economy.

Lived in Elkford about 3 years.

East Koots have an abundance of out door stuff to do.
Note: lots of areas closed for hunting. Do not depend totally on regs. Look over town stuff as well.

Lots of Bass fishing in the East Koots.

Elk River special regs.

Driving Haul trucks easy & boring.

4 on 4 off shift sucks. 2 days, 2 nights throws your inner clock for a loop & it takes your days off to get back to normal.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:33 PM

Which mine will you be potentially working at ? The reason I ask is that some locations are union and some are not. The location also determines size and equipment differs from mine to mine. If you start with haul truck, you will be in the " mine ops" department. There has been a huge hiring spree in the last 3 years, and quality applicants are few. There's been a huge push from corporate to hire women now, which is unprecedented for this company. You'll come across a lot of people who have never operated heavy equipment before. A lot of " nail techs" and former hairdressers. I kid you not.

The haul truck job is the lowest position in mine operations, as it's a requirement of all employees in that division. There's only so many bids for other equipment and a long line of people in front of you with more seniority, so become accustomed to that job for a few years. It's boring and music will become your best friend.

Some tips? Don't be a loudmouth and listen to the 2-way radio. There's a lot going on from pit to pit, and blasting occurs frequently. Foremen hate repeating themselves. You'll get yelled at by the diggers (shovels and loaders) for being too far or too crooked. Get used to it and don't have an attitude. Apologize and promise to do better. There's trainers available should you need further assistance. The dozer on the spoil also hates people coming in with no invite or at speed. Do not line up to the blade push arms or you'll be crooked.

You also feel the need to be fast but don't do this until you're competent. There are men on the ground working with cable and graders hate when you speed by them while they're trying to fix the road.

There's a strict cell phone policy so do yourself a favor and leave it at home! I can't stress this enough. It's also 2 days, then 2 nights so it'll throw your sleep patterns off for the first few months.

The company on a whole is good though. You will receive good pay (upward of $36 to start depending on mine), there's 2 bonuses possible as well. There's safety points in the form of gift cards, $1G health and wellness, and a very good medical/dental plan. Some locations also have a ridiculous pension plan ta boot.

Hope this helps and good luck !
Old 05-20-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
Which mine will you be potentially working at ? The reason I ask is that some locations are union and some are not. The location also determines size and equipment differs from mine to mine. If you start with haul truck, you will be in the " mine ops" department. There has been a huge hiring spree in the last 3 years, and quality applicants are few. There's been a huge push from corporate to hire women now, which is unprecedented for this company. You'll come across a lot of people who have never operated heavy equipment before. A lot of " nail techs" and former hairdressers. I kid you not.

The haul truck job is the lowest position in mine operations, as it's a requirement of all employees in that division. There's only so many bids for other equipment and a long line of people in front of you with more seniority, so become accustomed to that job for a few years. It's boring and music will become your best friend.

Some tips? Don't be a loudmouth and listen to the 2-way radio. There's a lot going on from pit to pit, and blasting occurs frequently. Foremen hate repeating themselves. You'll get yelled at by the diggers (shovels and loaders) for being too far or too crooked. Get used to it and don't have an attitude. Apologize and promise to do better. There's trainers available should you need further assistance. The dozer on the spoil also hates people coming in with no invite or at speed. Do not line up to the blade push arms or you'll be crooked.

You also feel the need to be fast but don't do this until you're competent. There are men on the ground working with cable and graders hate when you speed by them while they're trying to fix the road.

There's a strict cell phone policy so do yourself a favor and leave it at home! I can't stress this enough. It's also 2 days, then 2 nights so it'll throw your sleep patterns off for the first few months.

The company on a whole is good though. You will receive good pay (upward of $36 to start depending on mine), there's 2 bonuses possible as well. There's safety points in the form of gift cards, $1G health and wellness, and a very good medical/dental plan. Some locations also have a ridiculous pension plan ta boot.

Hope this helps and good luck !
thanks a lot
jim