Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM

Default Bowtech dealer for string & cable change out?

I have a Bowtech 350 Destroyer and the string needs changed out, i plan on also have the cables changed at same time. I have read that the proper press is required, or limb damage is possible. Should I use a bowtech dealer? (Jimbows) or is there any Edmonton area shops familiar with this bow and set up?

Thanks Ddawg
Old 02-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Try WSS north....they carry the Octane strings that come from factory on bowtech bows.

LC
Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Try WSS north....they carry the Octane strings that come from factory on bowtech bows.

LC
I personally would order a worlds best string(which are cheaper and 100% better) and have a real pro shop put it on. NO SALE SPORTS should not be aloud to allow people to touch your bow as no one in any of the stores are actually qualified to do so.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 AM

I would never take my bow to a WSS or Bass Pro... Nothing against the guys working there but some (most) don't really know what they are doing when it comes to working on bows. I do everything myself but if I need something done or to get some advice, I use JimBows. I'm sure there's a good locally owned shop in Edmonton, I'm not familiar though.

JMHO
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 AM

Thumbs up

Pipestone archery has those strings and does good job ,
Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
I personally would order a worlds best string(which are cheaper and 100% better) and have a real pro shop put it on. NO SALE SPORTS should not be aloud to allow people to touch your bow as no one in any of the stores are actually qualified to do so.
That's not actually 100% true in respect to WSS, there are two guys at the north store that I know and trust with my bow.

LC
Old 02-18-2014, 07:57 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with octane strings, I am on my 4th set of octane strings and cables on my 2 destroyer 350's have been able to attain ibo or greater speeds out of all 4 sets. They also seem to wear at a reasonable rate and do not creep once they are shot in. Not so out if 2 sets of worlds best that I tried, one on my 350 and one on my high country speed pro. Just what I have seen.

Norm
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 AM

^ x2
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 AM

have awesome results with Worlds Best Strings...most PRO shops can change out most brand bows, chosing one that sells Bowtech would be in your best interest..

JMHO
Neil
Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That's not actually 100% true in respect to WSS, there are two guys at the north store that I know and trust with my bow.

LC
out of the two guys you mention plus any of the other guys in that company how many have bein trained by manufacturers or have been trained on any thing to do with archery? Why is it wholesale has had major problems with there bows especially Bowtech while pro shops that have trained people do not and have only herd of these things happening at wholesale.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
out of the two guys you mention plus any of the other guys in that company how many have bein trained by manufacturers or have been trained on any thing to do with archery? Why is it wholesale has had major problems with there bows especially Bowtech while pro shops that have trained people do not and have only herd of these things happening at wholesale.
I am speaking of WSS Edmonton North location only....not all departments within each individual WSS have fully trained folks...

Of the two guys I know one has close ties to Bowtech, and they trust him.....so why wouldn't I? The other fellow, I haven't seen his résumé but in dealings I know he knows what day it is.

I would guess that anyone who has dealt with a Bowtech bow set up by a certain individual at WSS has been more than happy...we don't have a "proshop" that deals specifically with Bowtech in Edmonton...

When in Calgary I go to Jimbows, when in Edmonton I deal with the guy I know at WSS.

Which WSS are you referring to and what sort of issues have you seen? I will use personal experience over hearsay any day of the week.

This thread isn't really about WSS but is about helping a fellow archer with where to find strings for his Bowtech and a place to get them swapped...I was offering an outlet for him to get this done.

LC
Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 PM

Default bowtech

I have done lots of replacement strings.

I replace with Octane and Worlds Best
Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Banned

I am coming through FSJ, GP Edmonton and Calgary in June. I have a bowtech allegiance and would like to get string, cable changed and bow set up. Any recomendations and will a pro shop have all the stuff or do they need notice. Fast trip so need a fast turnaround.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
I am coming through FSJ, GP Edmonton and Calgary in June. I have a bowtech allegiance and would like to get string, cable changed and bow set up. Any recomendations and will a pro shop have all the stuff or do they need notice. Fast trip so need a fast turnaround.
Gord at Big Timber Archery in GP, he is the best bow tech around and also carries Bow Tech.

11109 89 Ave, Grande Prairie, AB T8V 5B9
(780) 539-9594

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 PM

Default Cheaper or better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdonkeyoutdoors View Post
I have done lots of replacement strings.

I replace with Octane and Worlds Best
Why do you go with the worlds best? Are they better quality strings than the octane or just cost less?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
Why do you go with the worlds best? Are they better quality strings than the octane or just cost less?
Better, cost less, and have the best warranty in the business.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Better, cost less, and have the best warranty in the business.
Just curious as to how specifically they are better? I have never required warranty for a string or cable, what conditions might cause one to require warranty? Not trying to start anything, just want more info....honest! Octane are expensive, I whole hearted lh agree ther!

Norm
Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Just curious as to how specifically they are better? I have never required warranty for a string or cable, what conditions might cause one to require warranty? Not trying to start anything, just want more info....honest! Octane are expensive, I whole hearted lh agree ther!

Norm
They are a custom made string. There serving is the best period. If for any reason your string magically stretches or serving seperates or anything else he will fix or replace no question asked. Even if you screw it up. I have never had a minutes problem with any of his but I bet no other manufacture will even talk to you if you have a problem. They will say buy a new one (have had to deal with this).As for octane strings they stretch bad. I have seen quite a few that stretched way to much in a short amount of time. I also think a quality aftermarket string is the most overlooked item whit your archery set up.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:30 PM

Default Lefty

Thanks LC
Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzoo300 View Post
Thanks LC
No sweat, if you need strings changed out ask for Blake or Kevin at WSS North...they know what day it is.

LC
Old 02-20-2014, 04:51 PM

I would only let swampdonkey touch my stuff....wont let anyone else do anything to my bow even if it was for free
Old 02-23-2014, 05:33 PM

Default octane strings

I am going to stick with the Octane strings, the strings have not stretched in 3 years, no creep and are in good shape for 3 yrs of shooting. I had the peep changed and there is some fraying at the peep, so time for new ones. I will have a local shop install the string and cables, you can't go wrong with Octane or worlds best. Thanks for all the advice!