Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I doubt that the thread was deleted some posts were removed putting it back in order of date last posted.
Yes I was right I found it.
And as to why those were deleted it was a simple violation of the message board rules by derailing.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
Just interesting how most of you believe other news stories that come out about offenders, Police, Politicians, etc. without hesitation.
Then as soon as it's a friend, etc. you think the Courts and news are wrong in some way.

I guess we will see down the road how threads go when other news stories come out.
I don't know this fella at all and now don't care to. Maybe I'm wrong and he's a great guy. I don't know.
Doesn't really matter does it?

Have a safe and great hunting season.
I'm pretty sure my previous post casts some doubt on this particular news article. Not that it is wrong, but poorly written. No mention is made of the actual charges, just that the bear was taken illegally, and that the caribou was shot at illegally due to the second hunter.

Judging by the 8km rule being mentioned in the story, it leads me to believe the bear charge was levied for using an ATV in the hunt, to what extent we do not know. Was it hunted off of or used to recover the bear? Grizz aren't small, and if I shot a bear 500 meters plus from the highway, I would be pretty tempted to forego humping it out if I had a quad in the box of my truck. I have a feeling this wasn't a 'road hunt' as some have suggested.

As also mentioned in the article, the shot was taken at the caribou after the first client had taken his bear. Pat was charged there for having 2 hunters, but could the rules be misinterpreted to a point that he believed hunter #1 was done after his bear, and now an observer, meaning he was only guiding one hunter when the shot was fired?

In any case, it is pretty clear that either he or his outfitter made the call to F&W if they continued to hunt after the bear was taken, and Pat was informed of his wrongdoing after returning to camp.

On a side note, take a look at the most recent comment on the news article. To borrow from Larry the cable guy, 'that's funny right there'
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Yes I was right I found it.
And as to why those were deleted it was a simple violation of the message board rules by derailing.
Well that makes more sense, I knew I seen it yesterday and couldn't find it for the life of me today.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post

On a side note, take a look at the most recent comment on the news article. To borrow from Larry the cable guy, 'that's funny right there'
Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Wow,
The guy messed up, whether intentionally or not, got caught (how many don't get caught??), had his day in court, paid his fines and is now suffering the consequences. I'm sure with "tail between his legs", he has moved on from this. Its apparent that some AO members have not.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 09-02-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my previous post casts some
I just shot coffee out my nose, GOD that burns!!! Good old Chris G, what a waste of skin!!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
I just shot coffee out my nose, GOD that burns!!! Good old Chris G, what a waste of skin!!
Lol agreed....best pot kettle statement yet!

LC
Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Why revel in another's anguish? Absolute lack of class.

I've never met Pat, but from the posts I've seen here, he seems to be a straight forward, honest kind of guy. From what I gather in the article, he made a bad, but honest mistake. He fessed up and will pay his dues.

Sorry it happened, Pat. I hope you sort it out quickly and carry on with your hunting career.
l thought poachers were banned here , guess not , hes a big shot guide ,so he stays and you guys suck up to him.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Lol agreed....best pot kettle statement yet!

LC
Exactly!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:27 PM

This is a weird thread. Don't know the guy. He got caught. He's paying his fines. In this day and age of social media, he's paying a price on his reputation, which is likely deserved.

None of us were there. My guess would be that he knew exactly what he was doing, and if not, he should have.

What do you lily-white saints want from him? His foreskin rolled in a piece of sushi?

I find it laughable whenever the AO Inquisition gets fired up. I know for 99% certain that some of the members of this forum who protest the loudest when these kinds of threads come up, are guilty of at least equal offences.

I'm not into tar and feathering a whole industry, but I know that this stuff happens all too frequently because we read about it in the papers. I just wish APOS had real consequences for offenders. If one's livelihood were really on the line then things may be a bit different. It's not, so it won't be.

I'd be interested in a moderator stepping up and explaining why this thread was pulled, posts were deleted, and then re-opened. It may put to rest the talk of double standards etc... If not, people just wonder.

Last edited by sns2; 09-02-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Show me one post that defends his actions.

Yours
Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This is a weird thread. Don't know the guy. He got caught. He's paying his fines. In this day and age of social media, he's paying a price on his reputation, which is likely deserved.

None of us were there. My guess would be that he knew exactly what he was doing, and if not, he should have.

What do you lily-white saints want from him? His foreskin rolled in a piece of sushi?

I find it laughable whenever the AO Inquisition gets fired up. I know for certain that some of the members of this forum who protest the loudest when these kinds of threads come up, are guilty of at least equal offences.

I'm not into tar and feathering a whole industry, but I know that this stuff happens all too frequently because we read about it in the papers. I just wish APOS had real consequences for offenders. If one's livelihood were really on the line then things may be a bit different. It's not, so it won't be.

I'd be interested in a moderator stepping up and explaining why this thread was pulled, posts were deleted, and then re-opened. It may put to rest the talk of double standards etc... If not, people just wonder.
This is my take and i am done with it now....

All i can say is its disappointing. Here we have a fellow that is the youngest man in the world to complete the 29 North American Slam and he is now convicted of wildlife felonies. He also advertises the slam on his website which by all accounts is a huge accomplishment!! He has been guiding up there long enough to know that when he and his clients piled out of that truck on the Dempster it should have been a no go. When you live life on the edge, sooner or later it will bite you. With that said, if he has this mindset were all the animals for the slam within the realm of towing the line proper and legal? Now there is definitely reasonable doubt.
What sucks is that this happened to a fella deemed for the most part as AO's poster boy and all the longtime Aoers that put Pat up on a pedestal got all up in arms because people started talking and chastising Pat no differently than every other poacher thread that has been on AO. But because its Pat Garrett that is not allowed and we all must tip toe and treat this as a special case. When those boys bailed out of the truck on the Dempster so did Pat's credibility unfortunately.....
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Thread has been reopened after a clean up. First thing is he is not a poacher, From the article it states he made a mistake and openly admitted it. He did not contest the charges and pleaded Guilty. Am I defending him, no as he does not need defending. He did wrong and admitted it. He has done more good for the hunting scene than most of you combined. I have never met the man but from all his posts his character is that of a hard working man who loves to hunt. Only thing is he made an error and openly admitted it. How many of you have the gonads to do that.

Yup l shore did make a mistake , and l admit shootin that bare 45 yds from me truck off the road , sorry bout that sir.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Deleting this thread in the first place showed that a mod wanted to cover this up real quick. Displays the mindset of some that control things around here. Not to mention the deletion of some of the posts that were on the thread. That in itself shows the blatant favourtism which has been ongoing here. Not only did Pat Garrett break laws, but AO at the time thought it fine to cover it up.

l didnt say nothing but put up a smiley face and it was deleted right away , who was the mod that did this and why ? likely Pats buddy.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post

Yup l shore did make a mistake , and l admit shootin that bare 45 yds from me truck off the road , sorry bout that sir.
What are you, Martinnordegg 2? Sure hope you never take an animal questionably, if you haven't already.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

I find it laughable whenever the AO Inquisition gets fired up. I know for 99% certain that some of the members of this forum who protest the loudest when these kinds of threads come up, are guilty of at least equal offences.

Well put.

It's easy to say "I always go 100% by the book", but seem to forget that time they hopped into the truck after freezing all day long in the bush then ten minutes down the road remember about the magazine still in their rifle. Or on a clear evening pull the trigger 5min past legal shooting time because it was still light out.

He got caught breaking the law, but like anything else there are different degrees of seriousness in my opinion. Like I said in an earlier post, I don't think what he did is on the same level as hunting out of season or spot lighting, more on the lines of shooting an animal on unmarked private land, then having the land owner charge you. It's the same thing, it's written you must have permission from the land owner to hunt on their land, and it's the hunters responsibility to know where he is hunting, wether it's private or crown land.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is my take and i am done with it now....

All i can say is its disappointing. Here we have a fellow that is the youngest man in the world to complete the 29 North American Slam and he is now convicted of wildlife felonies. He also advertises the slam on his website which by all accounts is a huge accomplishment!! He has been guiding up there long enough to know that when he and his clients piled out of that truck on the Dempster it should have been a no go. When you live life on the edge, sooner or later it will bite you. With that said, if he has this mindset were all the animals for the slam within the realm of towing the line proper and legal? Now there is definitely reasonable doubt.
What sucks is that this happened to a fella deemed for the most part as AO's poster boy and all the longtime Aoers that put Pat up on a pedestal got all up in arms because people started talking and chastising Pat no differently than every other poacher thread that has been on AO. But because its Pat Garrett that is not allowed and we all must tip toe and treat this as a special case. When those boys bailed out of the truck on the Dempster so did Pat's credibility unfortunately.....

Very well said.

Kind of reminds me of the whole 438 sheep tag fiasco that they swept under the rug for their buddy last year. Wasn't part of the discussions then but I remember reading the whole thing.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=expmler;2535220]Bit of a double standard here, guess it depends who you are.

I really liked his posts and pictures but....

Knowing where you are hunting is key. I have hunted a ton of new places without a guide and always knew were I could shoot or if I even questioned it I have to passed up the animal. Being a guide you would think he would follow this type of thinking. I really find it hard to believe that he did not know were the wild life cooridor was. (just my opinion of coarse).

I just find it incredibly funny that just because the guy posts here and is friends with a few he gets a pass...ifr he was unkown around here there would have been a lynching.

Having said all that people do make mistakes and deserve another chance but only after they serve there penelty, and yes that means a public shaming is some cases.

It probably doesn't help his case that he has been on T.V for hunting but if you want to put yourself out there then screw up then so be it.

LS
Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM

I keep reading 'if he was unknown around here ...'

If he was unknown around here, would we even have a thread about it?

How many incidents of this type and severity go quietly unnoticed every week? Especially during hunting season.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Banned

right on 1899b!

I'm one of those who have no trouble wondering how many of the 29 were taken illegally........we'll never know, but we'll never forget this, will we?

I just read that jim isray, owner of the Indianapolis colts got picked up for dui and had prescription drugs in his system. what does that have to do with football??? but they banned him from the league and everything related for 6 weeks, plus fined him 500 thousand (the league did) on top of the fine he received from the courts. now that's a professional organization that cares about the image and deals with it..........not like the outfitters org.

but then, there's the old boys club here that will stick up for him until the end, 'cause most of them have thousands of posts and think that gives them all the say, and just 'cause someone without thousands of posts disagrees, they're stupid
Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:

How many incidents of this type and severity go quietly unnoticed every week? Especially during hunting season.

Your joking right? You have been around here long enough that poaching charges are posted here all the time. If you need a refresher just type in poachers as a search.

LS
Old 09-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

I doubt anyone forced him to post up the Grand Slam thread, he is the one who wanted the attention.

I guess you can chalk that up to "careful what you wish for".
Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I doubt anyone forced him to post up the Grand Slam thread, he is the one who wanted the attention.

I guess you can chalk that up to "careful what you wish for".

or for that matter appear on T.V.

LS
Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Deleting this thread in the first place showed that a mod wanted to cover this up real quick. Displays the mindset of some that control things around here. Not to mention the deletion of some of the posts that were on the thread. That in itself shows the blatant favourtism which has been ongoing here. Not only did Pat Garrett break laws, but AO at the time thought it fine to cover it up.
Plain and simple if you would like to meet me for coffee and say that right to my face I would love to
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM

He should have known the rules period. Alberta, Yukon or Alaska. If your going to guide, you need to know the rules. I am a fan of Pats accomplishments, enjoyed his posts, pics and stories here and in the magazine's. I am now a very disappointed fan and will have doubt from here on in. Never met the guy but his reputation is now tainted. If it was a one off mistake, then I will say your reputation took a big hit and you paid a price because of it and lets move on. Only time with no other convictions can truly restore his standing imo. I would look forward to his side of the story as I am only hearing one reporters opinion of the facts.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
Your joking right? You have been around here long enough that poaching charges are posted here all the time. If you need a refresher just type in poachers as a search.

LS
Please re-read the part where I mentioned the type and severity of the charges.

I know poaching gets talked about often here, but unless it is someone with any sort of public profile, or forum presence, then something like a road corridor violation would likely be ignored. The vast majority of poaching threads are about guys who are blatantly ignoring the laws. There isn't any room for 'well maybe he did make an honest mistake'

And yes, I understand that he started the grand slam thread, and has appeared in print and TV media, which has raised his profile. I am saying that this is the only reason this thread has been as active as it is.

To summarize, if it were Joe Blow, few would care. Since it isn't, many do, and some of us see the public tar and feathering as ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 PM

These seem like simple rules, so either he is inept or a poacher. End of story. Nobody is perfect.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:

I know poaching gets talked about often here, but unless it is someone with any sort of public profile, or forum presence, then something like a road corridor violation would likely be ignored. The vast majority of poaching threads are about guys who are blatantly ignoring the laws. There isn't any room for 'well maybe he did make an honest mistake'

And yes, I understand that he started the grand slam thread, and has appeared in print and TV media, which has raised his profile. I am saying that this is the only reason this thread has been as active as it is.

To summarize, if it were Joe Blow, few would care. Since it isn't, many do, and some of us see the public tar and feathering as ridiculous.
Violation of wildlife and hunting legislation by members of APOS and the response by APOS has been a very popular topic.

Why would this be any different?

Pretty similar topic.

Why did we talk about Lesnar or the Nuge?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Plain and simple if you would like to meet me for coffee and say that right to my face I would love to
All I can say is WOW!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Let's slow this down for you,

lets just use an example..if you have a moose tag for zone 503 which boarders 504 ( and lets say there is no draw for this area) and you shoot a moose 10 feet in 504 the charge would be hunting during a closed season. I don't know about you but most would call this poaching with such a charge. No diffrence if in a wildlife coridoor.

L.S
Closed Thread