Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Default Prussian Carp an Invasive Species could take over

Prussian carp are uniquely capable of destroying our waterbodies. They are an invasive species that could drastically unbalance the ecological integrity of fish habitat. The ACA is doing research on these animals to help us understand and manage them. If you catch one KILL IT!

Check out this podcast I recorded with the ACA about these crazy creatures.

Website link:
https://yourforestpodcast.com/episod...-britt-schmidt

Or search YourForest in iTunes, Stitcher or Googleplay
Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourForest View Post
Prussian carp are uniquely capable of destroying our waterbodies. They are an invasive species that could drastically unbalance the ecological integrity of fish habitat. The ACA is doing research on these animals to help us understand and manage them. If you catch one KILL IT!

Check out this podcast I recorded with the ACA about these crazy creatures.

Website link:
https://yourforestpodcast.com/episod...-britt-schmidt

Or search YourForest in iTunes, Stitcher or Googleplay
Too little too late they are here to stay and theres nothing anyone can do about it. At least the predators like eating them

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-30-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Too little too late they are here to stay and theres nothing anyone can do about it. At least the predators like eating them
We can slow down the spread, but we can’t stop it. They are here to stay.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Research to understand so we can manage rather then let them take over

They are definitely here to stay. Which is why we should do research to understand and try to manage them. Because if we don’t, it’s not impossible that other species might cease to exist. Understanding is the first step to being able to manage them. I would argue a Hands off approach is a bad idea
Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 PM

What native predators inhabit their native range?

I would hazard to guess pike, zander (Europe's version of walleye) very similar to what we have here in lower Bow/Oldman/South Sask.

Have they collapsed entire ecosystems in Europe where they have been around/introduced for 100's of years if not longer.

I've caught and eaten them in Europe on the Danube and they were very good actually.

I'm not saying that the carp being somewhere where they shouldn't be is a good thing but maybe some over reaction is taking place. As others have said I think they are here to stay so I hope everyone likes eating carp!! Since our native fish will be wiped out shortly as predicted by F&W the same people that have mismanaged our lakes and Reservoirs in Southern Alberta the last decade to the point where they are almost devoid of fish.

With regs allowing people to harvest big mature female pike, netting lakes like Newell gee I wonder why everything has ****-canned and now we cant even keep a single fish in Southern Alberta.

I'd blame it on the carp as well if I was them!!!
Old 04-30-2018, 03:38 PM

Default I hope your right

I hope your right and it doesn’t ruin anything for us. Personally, I prefer the natural state of things as much as I can get it. You never know the cascading Affect invasives could have and I would wager a bet on the safe side and try to manage them as much as possible. Regardless of what they taste like. Fish arnt the only thing they manage the water for. For example, we all drink that water. New diseases and more feces in the water add new challenges to cleaning it. I don’t know what the end result is. But I would rather they were not there and seeing as they are and will be, I would like them controlled where and if possible.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanno View Post
What native predators inhabit their native range?

I would hazard to guess pike, zander (Europe's version of walleye) very similar to what we have here in lower Bow/Oldman/South Sask.

Have they collapsed entire ecosystems in Europe where they have been around/introduced for 100's of years if not longer.

I've caught and eaten them in Europe on the Danube and they were very good actually.

I'm not saying that the carp being somewhere where they shouldn't be is a good thing but maybe some over reaction is taking place. As others have said I think they are here to stay so I hope everyone likes eating carp!! Since our native fish will be wiped out shortly as predicted by F&W the same people that have mismanaged our lakes and Reservoirs in Southern Alberta the last decade to the point where they are almost devoid of fish.

With regs allowing people to harvest big mature female pike, netting lakes like Newell gee I wonder why everything has ****-canned and now we cant even keep a single fish in Southern Alberta.

I'd blame it on the carp as well if I was them!!!
Yup. I'll never forget the first ice derby I went to on Newell (1999 or 2000). Dozens of pike in the 10-15lb range frozen on the ice and handfuls of 20lbers. Senseless. "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."
Old 05-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Just like the caragana bush uqbiquity in the prairies

Tags
fishing, invasive species