Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Regardless of what you choose, you can't go wrong with QAD HDX or Ripcord CodeRed, the Ripcord is very simple, easy to time, less outer parts than QAD that in colder weather could get wet and freeze but the CodeRed doesn't stay up when you let down with arrow in it...no biggie for me. The thumb lever is a nice feature to push up rest.
I know on AT they all love the LimbDriver but I would stay away for reasons previously mentioned and when I tried it out, I noticed the cord would stretch and I was pulling it tight so the V arm would not drop down plus I didn't like that exposed cord tied to upper limb, could easily get caught on branches, etc..
Good Luck with your choice, I personally like the Code Red but that's me, its simple, less exposed parts, easy to change out cord or inner spring yourself, good CS when I needed extra springs or cords, they mailed extras to me so I was happy with that. You won't go wrong with either, both great rests.

Last edited by swift1; 05-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Have them both. Rip Cord- Code Red on my APA and a QAD HD on my Hoyt. I have not complaints about either one. I don't find the arrow capture at let down a huge disadvantage. Both are well built and dependable. I do like the thumb cocking tab on the QAD.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Default Whisker biscuit

Several years ago I settled on a whisker biscuit due to the great holding power it has when tromping thru the bush. No more arrows dropping off my rest, falling to the ground and spooking deer away. Yes, it happened more than once

Just my two cents.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear74 View Post
I've had all of them and they've all got some good features, but for me the QAD wins out.
QAD - stays up on slow letdown. Best containment and excellent customer service if ever needed. Don't cheap out though. Buy the HDX or at least the HD. The hunter model is terrible.
Ripcord - easy to setup and very dependable. Drops on slow letdown. Only problem .
Limbdriver Pro-V - I wanted to like it. Easiest to setup by far. No problems with throwing the timing off. But the arrow is banging around in the cage making a lot of noise. Not well suited to spot and stalk type hunting. Guides the arrow the longest for most consistent flight.
Go with the QAD HDX.
Yes, x2 on limb drver pro comments!, there is something about the consistent accuracy from the limb driver pro and I agree on set up ease also. If I had to use a drop I'd go back to this one. I remember on mine taking the cage off, sawing off some of the low side entrance hole meat where it is still solid across the top of the two bars to make the slot bigger then cut thin strips of fuzzy stuff and did the inside and outside of the dual tracks of the cage...and even slightly bent the entrance side downward a bit to add ease for stuffing arrows in. Then the arm everywhere it wasn't especially where it could click on the stop pegs etc. It would be the best hunting drop still but requires a couple hours of modding/silencing etc.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Picked up my Assassin from Jim Bows tonight and only had time to put about 50 shots through before I had to come in and get work crap ready for the morning, but damn that QAD Ultra HDX is a nice rest. Obviously it needs to be sighted in again with a new string, increased poundage, new arrows and a new rest, but they were grouping so tight and so consistent, and the rest is dead simple to use.

>> Big recommendation for the QAD Ultra HDX.

... And maybe for the Bowtech Assassin, since those arrows don't drop an inch from 10-30 yards.