Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 PM

I posted some pics tonight in the "what was your first bow" thread.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...75#post2317375
I used a wb and I shot everything "out of the box" so far. Still need to set the sight pins and do whatever tuning that is necessary once I shoot a little more...thrilled with the results so far.
My wb is WAY quieter than the qad drop away on my brother's bow. I shot them side by side tonight with the same arrow (his arrows, just to answer the argument that my arrows are wrong for his rest) and it was a huge difference in noise (edit:I mean shot noise. that da rest clicks down pretty hard. we also notice it rattles a ton while walking if you don't keep a finger on the arrow. the sound while drawing is louder too...wb was no brain for me)
His bow is a Matthew's dr2, mine is a bowtech experience. (in case that matters to you)
Check out that other thread link above and keep in mind this is my first bow, it is not tuned yet, and my first day of shooting it. I think I will have a very accurate set up with the wb when I am done. I am confident in recommending the wb.
cheers

Last edited by kujoseto; 02-09-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Banned

Get a QAD ultra rest and throw away your WB. I've been shooting for a couple years now and you might not of noticed yet, but if you shoot your bow enough you'll get sick and tired of replacing fletches.

WB is ok, but there's no way it compares to a PROPERLY set up fall away. If the timing is set right and you use the mohair/felt it'll be, for all intents and purposes, as quite as you'll need it to be for any hunting scinario.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Banned

Granted I've only been into archery for about a year and a half but I've probably taken more shots in that year and a half than most people will in their life. The argument about fletching damage is laughable. Will it do some damage? I can see that. But I have arrows that have probably 600 shots on them, all through a WB and the fletching is fine. There is more damage from fletching hitting the fletching in the target block.

I haven't "upgraded" to a drop away as I feel it's a risky $150+ trial to replace something that works in warm, dry, cold, wet, rain, snow! sleet, whatever I throw at it.

Yes, I have seen mechanical, and static items fail. I have seen releases freeze up so the don't work. No, I won't get rid of all the advancements that the industry throws our way. I am a believer in pushing technology. But this one argument about excess wear from a WB isn't a valid argument in my eyes.

However, this is only my opinion, right or wrong, it's my opinion.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Moot. Read this article. It is an excerpt from a wider gear trial they did. Basically, no difference unless you are an ultra-long range guy.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...hisker-biscuit

From my own experience I see a need to go back to the 'ugly cookie' (Lost Arrow's coined phrase) on the bow I hunt Moose and Elk with and use a QAD on my 3D/open country bow.

I have some experience with the Rip Cord (all bad) in cold weather and situations that required me to let down several times before taking the shot. Having said that, I do find them to work very well 90% of the time, but its hard to beat the QAD or 'Cookie'.

.......so you are both right IMHO.

The fletch thing is not a big deal if you are shooting Blazer Vanes.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:20 PM

As for noise. I can't say I've noticed either way. The biscuit part has changed a lot in 10 years. Maybe for the better? There used to be the complaint of more noise when drawing at cold temps, but I never noticed it.

I have moleskin on the shelf of the riser so the smack of a drop away is muffled.

I think you can go either way and be happy.