Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-28-2012, 01:38 PM

It's the mastery of the adrenaline rush that I love!

I can take mulies pretty well, put a bull elk in front of me after stalking and bugling.... And my legs are jello... My aim is suspect...

I've let three go in
My life... Too scared/freaked to make the shot.

My coolest experience now hunting in the last 5 years was watching two fawns play tag-fight within 15 yards of me for a spell.
One came so close I could touch him.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 PM

I think the toughest thing to take is when a deer stares at you from less than 20 yards and you have to freeze and not move a muscle. The buggers just freaking stare for over 5 minutes and you don't even want to blink.

That happened last time out with a doe. She finally went back to feeding and I drew on her waiting for a clean opening and she stared again while I held at full draw. That was not fun and my arms were burning. She went back to feeding but I changed my mind and let down. Good thing because my arms were pretty sore by then.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter View Post
After 4 years of elk hunting, finally got it together and got between two bull bugling. Cow call a few time and worked my way toward the herd bull and is cows. Bull came in at 25 yards and never offer a shot.... Biggest reason was the cow standing in front of me at 3 yards blocking my view of the bull. will I ever get it right. How do you guys keep it all together for a good shot when adrenaline is pumping and things are happening so fast.
I always tell myself 'you haven't done nothing yet' and that seems to cool me out. After the arrows flying lol different story.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM

Each year we gear up for the Bow hunt, put in the time patterning animals, i must spend a month or better watching where they go and how they react to different situations,, then when you figure you have it right,, they come with in bow range and you blow the shot watching the lighted nock, sail right over their back, the highs and lows are the reason why we do it,,because its the one moment, the second in time, that all the clarity, the adrenalin,, and watching the arrow fly to its pinned point watching the arrow dissappear, fletching and all, the elation of watching your animal react and kick and run off only to see or hear it pile up. Walking in finding the blood trail and your arrow, then seeing the object of your patience and hard work, holding the animal in your hands with pride and awe. I believe it is no different with rifle or bow if you do your due diligence, however with the bow it is well earned and definately beating the prey on his turf.
Being a proficient hunter takes time and patience waiting for that one split second for it to come all together, the range of emotions far surpass anything we experience in life, the respect for the animal, the joys the upsets from mistakes and victories made. It is why we do what we do, it is in our blood in our hearts as hunters as outdoorsman experiencing life as it should be.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter View Post
After 4 years of elk hunting, finally got it together and got between two bull bugling. Cow call a few time and worked my way toward the herd bull and is cows. Bull came in at 25 yards and never offer a shot.... Biggest reason was the cow standing in front of me at 3 yards blocking my view of the bull. will I ever get it right. How do you guys keep it all together for a good shot when adrenaline is pumping and things are happening so fast.
Been bowhunting for a loooong time now and used to have the same problem you are , a little buck fever maybe ? I finally told myself there will be NO PICTURES if I couldn't get it together .. seems to work . Lots of time after the shot to be excited and get the shakes .. not before ..lol. good luck .