Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Default Arrow Rests...decisions decisions

Hi everyone,

I see a lot of love on here for the QAD Ultra rest, and a little bit for the Rip Cord Red, but not so much for the Limb Driver Pro V. Any reason why?

Also, I was watching you youtube video of the QAD, and it seemed really loud when the rest hit the riser shelf. Has anyone else noticed that? Is it the same with the Rip Cord?

Just looking for a new rest and these three are at the top of the list right now. Hoping that you can help me narrow down the list.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 AM

i've never had an issue with noise on my QAD HDX.

Schian
Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 AM

nope...me either....had folks at the range, comment on how quiet my bow is. Great rest.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM

You should be able to adjust the Quad so it does not hit your riser, but if you can't, you can get a rubber pad to dampen the sound. Calgary Archery Center had them.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the responses. Maybe there was a set-up problem in the video I saw. In any event, sounds like noise isn't an issue so my decision doesn't get any easier!

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the three rests I mentioned? I'll be using it for 3d and hunting.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 PM

If you google "QAD vs Ripcord "....I'm sure you'll find all the input you'll need to answer any questions you have regarding the two rests. Give it a try but I'm happy with the Ripcord CodeRed rest, very little issues with it.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 PM

I'm unsure about the Limbdriver and Rip Cord, but the main reason I love the QAD is that the arrow is cocked and ready to launch, all while being fully captured so there's no way to have the arrow fall off the rest. Upon a slow let-down, it remains in that same position. Only when fired will the rest drop (and when it does, the small sound it makes is of no consequence)

I'm just not sure if the Limbdriver and Rip Cord work in the same way; someone will chime in on that.

J.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:19 PM

I've done the google searches, and there is a lot of info, but I also wanted to pick the brains of the people on this board.

One of the reasons I asked the original question was because over on the AT forum, it seems like the Limb driver is very popular, where as here opinion seems to lean towards the QAD, which I find interesting. Makes me wonder what the reasons may be (for example is it hunting conditions, or is a certain rest marketed more heavily in a certain area, or is a certain rest more readily available in an area which makes it more popular). If it was simply the case that one rest performs better than the others, I would expect a little more consensus between the different forums.

As an aside, I started my search over at AT, and after reading there it seemed like the limb driver Pro V was a slam dunk. Then I seached this forum, and the QAD seemed like the way to go. So the research continues!

Regardless, thanks to everyone so far on their input.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM

i've posted this in numerous other threads regarding QAD vs RIPCORD and no one has been able to give me an answer.
what single benefit/ advantage does the RIPCORD have over the QAD?
i just don't get it.
as for the limb driver, i haven't researched it enough or ever used it so i cannot comment regarding that one.

Schian
Old 05-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
i've posted this in numerous other threads regarding QAD vs RIPCORD and no one has been able to give me an answer.
what single benefit/ advantage does the RIPCORD have over the QAD?
i just don't get it.
as for the limb driver, i haven't researched it enough or ever used it so i cannot comment regarding that one.

Schian
To me owning both on 2 different bows....for hunting I like the QAD because the rest stays in the upright position if you draw and let down without shooting, to me this is an advantage in a hunting situation.

For target....flip a coin.

LC
Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM

Bought a bow off of AT earlier this yer and it has a limb Driver. It is simple, easy to tune and quiet. I really like it. It isn't 100% full capture, so you can't shoot it hanging upside down but for all intents and purposes it is. I like mine more and more each time I use it.

I also like the QAD better than the Ripcord.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Bought a bow off of AT earlier this yer and it has a limb Driver. It is simple, easy to tune and quiet. I really like it. It isn't 100% full capture, so you can't shoot it hanging upside down but for all intents and purposes it is. I like mine more and more each time I use it.

I also like the QAD better than the Ripcord.
So to be clear, are you saying you prefer the limb driver to the QAD? If so, can I ask why (or is it like you stated above, just simpler, easier to tune, and quieter than the QAD)?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
To me owning both on 2 different bows....for hunting I like the QAD because the rest stays in the upright position if you draw and let down without shooting, to me this is an advantage in a hunting situation.

For target....flip a coin.

LC
Thats what I have been thinking as well, so unless the ripcord is significantly cheaper, why would anyone use that one over a QAD?

Schian
Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rod View Post
Hi everyone,

I see a lot of love on here for the QAD Ultra rest, and a little bit for the Rip Cord Red, but not so much for the Limb Driver Pro V. Any reason why?

Also, I was watching you youtube video of the QAD, and it seemed really loud when the rest hit the riser shelf. Has anyone else noticed that? Is it the same with the Rip Cord?

Just looking for a new rest and these three are at the top of the list right now. Hoping that you can help me narrow down the list.

Thanks!
I have the QAD on one bow (hunting) and the Limbdriver on another (target/3D). The limbdriver is definitely louder than the QAD. I actually like the limbdriver more as it is sure to get out of the way and stay out of the way. The QAD is great for hunting though with the prongs up all the time until I actually shoot the bow. Great all around rest.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Thats what I have been thinking as well, so unless the ripcord is significantly cheaper, why would anyone use that one over a QAD?

Schian
The Ripcord I have came on a used bow I bought....I like it and it has worked well.

When I bought a new bow I went with the QAD and I find (for the reason I mentioned) it works as well with the added bonus of it staying engaged on a let down.

I have heard some people feel that the Ripcord (because it always lets down no matter) is a fraction faster to drop than a QAD but I dont know if there is truth to that.

LC
Old 05-27-2013, 02:09 PM

I had a qad on my bow took it off after 2 weeks and put a whisker biscuit on.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandsAlone View Post
What didn't you like about it?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:19 PM

Well, so far it looks like the Rip Cord Red is out, and I'm down to the Limb Driver Pro V vs the QAD Ultra. Of the responses I've seen, it seems that those that have actually used the Limb Driver prefer it, but that seems to be only two people so far. I'm surprised that this rest seems to get so little play in our neck of the woods.

Both seem to be high quality, so I think it's going to come down to things like tunabilty, ease of installation, and warranty.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The Ripcord I have came on a used bow I bought....I like it and it has worked well.

When I bought a new bow I went with the QAD and I find (for the reason I mentioned) it works as well with the added bonus of it staying engaged on a let down.

I have heard some people feel that the Ripcord (because it always lets down no matter) is a fraction faster to drop than a QAD but I dont know if there is truth to that.

LC
ah i see
thanks Lefty

Schian
Old 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM

If the QAD hits riser its not set up right it is totally adjustable..the differences in rests is whom where the sales dollars go...
Of all the Droip aways if one has to shoot them the QAD gets my vote also...even thou I am a huge fan of the Ugly cookie for hunting ..[WB]...lol

Neil
Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Banned

I had ld pro and qad ultra hdx, the ld pro it's great design and I was reasonably happy with it after fuzzy stuffing every where it could click or arrows could clang,sold it to a buddy still using and shooting well, and I briefly played with a limb driven tt smack down pro and like the ld I hated the cages, too small IMO, felt I was getting the oddfletch contact with both the qad and ld and I never really shot the tt before taking it off my bow...I've come to the conclusion for me that no rest will make me happy aside from the bisquit, if it's not cable interference with quivers or having to mod them with fuzzy stuff, rip cages off or bend em open more it's something else and usually a combo of all of it...too many parts, too much modding, too much bull shizz...I keep trying the newest best drops, keep burning hole in wallet without any satisfaction every time
Old 05-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rod View Post
Well, so far it looks like the Rip Cord Red is out, and I'm down to the Limb Driver Pro V vs the QAD Ultra. Of the responses I've seen, it seems that those that have actually used the Limb Driver prefer it, but that seems to be only two people so far. I'm surprised that this rest seems to get so little play in our neck of the woods.

Both seem to be high quality, so I think it's going to come down to things like tunabilty, ease of installation, and warranty.

Thanks for the help!
The reason I have concerns for hunting with the Limbdriver is the extra string tied to the limb. Spot and stalk for Mule Deer or back packing for Elk could possibly have this string tear off while hunting. To me its just another concern that I would rather not have. If I was only sitting in a treestand/ground blind whacking Whitetails then I would use a limbdriver for everything. I know the QAD has a string tied to a cable but it is a lot shorter and near where my hand would be on the bow so lees likely to get ripped off.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
The reason I have concerns for hunting with the Limbdriver is the extra string tied to the limb. Spot and stalk for Mule Deer or back packing for Elk could possibly have this string tear off while hunting. To me its just another concern that I would rather not have.
I agree...in the case of a hunting bow....less is more.

LC
Old 05-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
The reason I have concerns for hunting with the Limbdriver is the extra string tied to the limb. Spot and stalk for Mule Deer or back packing for Elk could possibly have this string tear off while hunting. To me its just another concern that I would rather not have. If I was only sitting in a treestand/ground blind whacking Whitetails then I would use a limbdriver for everything. I know the QAD has a string tied to a cable but it is a lot shorter and near where my hand would be on the bow so lees likely to get ripped off.
Really good points. Tough call, but I'm starting to lean towards the QAD. Or else maybe I just buy a second bow and get one of each.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM

I have a Rip Cord, but I wish I had stayed with a QAD. I hate that when ever I let down my rest drops as well...I think the QAD is the best rest on the market right now.

Stik'em
Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandsAlone View Post
Wasn't a QAD but I recently moved away from a drop away back to a WB - clearance issues and the simplicity of the WB drew me back... no unnecessary moving parts to fail - I should state that this is a hunting rig. If I was setting up a target or 3D bow, it would be a different story
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Hands down the best rest for hunting is the biscuit. No moving parts,nothing to tweak, great accuracy. It's never let me down yet.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

The reason I went back to the whisker biscuit is there is no moving parts to break while out in the bush.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 PM

I'm having the folks at Jim Bows put a QAD on mine while it's in for strings anyway, and I'm sure I'll be shooting it every hour I'm not at work, so I'll let you know what I think
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM

I've had all of them and they've all got some good features, but for me the QAD wins out.
QAD - stays up on slow letdown. Best containment and excellent customer service if ever needed. Don't cheap out though. Buy the HDX or at least the HD. The hunter model is terrible.
Ripcord - easy to setup and very dependable. Drops on slow letdown. Only problem .
Limbdriver Pro-V - I wanted to like it. Easiest to setup by far. No problems with throwing the timing off. But the arrow is banging around in the cage making a lot of noise. Not well suited to spot and stalk type hunting. Guides the arrow the longest for most consistent flight.
Go with the QAD HDX.