Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-17-2013, 07:52 PM

Pete might be right. I used my recurve and missed 2 deer. And then out of frustration pulled out my compound bow and made a kill 2 days later on a mule buck.
Just means I need a lot more practice with the traditional.Not giving up tho.
I did notice the shot differences from a tree stand compared to ground shooting. Hard to make the mind correct for the angle.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Agree with the ground blind..nothing to lose and confidence to gain...and possibly a good deer...

And a heck of a lot warmer!!!!!!!!..lol

JMHO
Neil
Old 11-18-2013, 11:34 AM

I feel you pain on chip shot misses. I think a few things are happening to miss high on a shot from elevation.

1 - when you practice you likely make a clean bend at the waist and when the deer shows up you're mixing in a variable of excitement that causes you to drop the bow arm and conversely raise the string arm. Experiment with this - dont bend at the waist and just draw with your bow arm in a low position - you will get a confusing sight picture and miss high - especially if you shoot instinctive. Some extreme shooting angles cause a miss because you simply cannot shoot without dropping the bow arm.

2- shooting at a downward angle we trad shooters have to account for the horizontal distance the arrow travels much more than guys shooting the wheelie bows with soda straw arrows. With a recurve it's more of a lob than a shot and depending on your tree stand height a matter of a few yards can mean the difference between a hit and a miss. That said - a 22 yard shot taken from a tree stand 5 yards off the ground has the trajectory characteristics of a 21.42 yard shot so going to a ground blind has less to do with angle and more to do with consistent shooting form at the moment of truth. (don't forget that deer stand about a yard off the ground and they can change that distance at lightning speed).

3- I know when things get exciting you tend to stretch out the draw. Even a half inch extra will drastically change the trajectory of your shot. consider practicing with a clicker or indexing using the broadhead and your index finger knuckle (I prefer this method because it's less junk attached to your bow).

I'm inclined to think that 1 and 3 are the factors at play.

There is upside to your misses. They are all clean and you get to hunt more.

Keep at it!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:55 AM

learn to stringwalk and use the end of the arrow to aim with. you wont be dissappointed if you do. I can accurately hit out to 50 yards with my recurve from any position. Mind you I practice 4-5 hrs a day most days.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM

I shoot instinctively like yourself and have had problems with elevated positions. I found that my problem is with a neutral stance or closed stance(Feet inline or front foot forward) I wasn't able to bend properly at the waist or I was really twisting my torso which lengthened by draw length. I started shooting with a slightly open stance (front foot back slightly, or back foot ahead slightly) I found not only more clearance for my bottom limb but my draw was more consistant uphill and downhill. Try it on the ground first.

I hope this helps, just pm me if you would like more explanation on the stances.