Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Default rigging up and older boat

i caught the salmon/halibut fishing bug real bad so i just bought an older boat and i won't have long to rig it up. its an 85 sea ox. 23ft cuddy walk around. found it down in mexico last year. my dad test drove it and it was good so i bought it. im going to pick it up in april and will be taking her out on the salt in june. doesn't leave me with a lot of time to rig her up or a ton of cash so i kind of have to do high priority upgrades first. it has a vhf , lowrance x19 sonar/gps, 15hp honda kicker with easy troll,small bimimi top and not much else for accessories. i plan on putting downriggers, getting some more rods/reels, and installing a charging system off the kicker to the batteries. the other boat i own is a 17ft thats new and i don't venture too far offshore with it so i don't carry a lot of stuff. i plan on using the new rig up around rupert most of the time were i could be a long way from supplies. just wondering from all the experts what i should be spending my money on and what is good to have onboard. i will have a lot more room for tools,parts, gear,supplies than before. i can also steal off the other boat for things like rod holders. i have 2 armstrong scotties i could use if i had to this year but im going to tofino and don't know how bad i want to be cranking up lead from 150ft all day. any and all coments are wanted. thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM

If you cannot afford a repower, get the engine rebuilt ASAP. Don't trust it, this is the only thing that will for sure make a bad trip after towing the boat 18 hours one way. Once you are absolutely sure that the engine is reliable, get 2 new batteries, with a battery isolator switch. If the kicker has a charging loop, that can charge the one battery that runs all electronics and down riggers. Leave one batttery as the backup for starting. Get a solar panel to keep the charge on the batteries when moored up. This will ensure that the batteries last and are fresh. It makes a huge difference.

Beyond that, you will spend a pile on rod holders, bumpers, anchor, etc. What is most important is a very good VHF radio with a strong antenna. New ones are relatively cheap and will interface with new GPS to broadcast the location in an emergency call.

Make sure that you have an inline drainable fuel water seperator. Amazing amounts of water accummulate in a partially full inboard tank. You will be able to see water in the clear bowl under the seperator very fast, and your engine will not be wrecked in the process. Simply drain it off and go. The coast is not dry like Alberta. With high humidity, and constant cooling at night, fuel tanks have a way of sweating, and water creeps up on you at the worst times.

Finally, make sure you change out the bilge pumps, and cover all the electrical connections in the wiring in DI ELECTRIC graphite paste to stop corrosion. Rain on a bilge is rarely a problem, but salt water sure does fast work on pumps and electrical.

Drewski
Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Hi Brad, we have a 22 ft cuddy cabin, we went up from a 18ft, best move we ever made. Sound like we will be fishing the same waters about the same time.
We are heading for the black flies of Dundas again this year

I carry a hand held gps and run it well I am cruising just in case my main gps goes down. I actually carry 2 hand helds, I'm paranoid I've had a few scares in the fog. lol

A few other things I carry on board

Spare belts assortment of hoses, spare fuel pump, distributer cap and rotor, fuel filters, fuel filters (lots of water in the gas on the coast) and spare starter, spare boat and motor lol

In truck tool box
wheel bearings and grease, spare alternator

We stay on board our boat for 7 or 8 days straight only going to town for fuel, but we hold 400L of gas so not that often.

We have a small freezer and a small "quite" generator on board, run the genny well we trolling, shut it off at night. Keeps fish, bait, fresh frozen bread, Ice jugs for the coolers and steaks frozen solid.

And everything Drewski Canuck says is gospel.

As for batteries and charging them and having them last.
I bought the a VSR (voltage sensitive relay)module. Google it up, I ordered one thru my local marine shop it only charges the battery that needs to be charged. Finally solved my battery issues.
The only thing on my start battery is the starter and gauges.

Hope to see you out there, they look like a nice boats (looked on Yacht world)
Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 PM

Hey all I am also up that way in may and june and heck even july. we should all chat. I also have a 22 ft cuddy. Maybe we should get a flag that IDs us as forum members so if we see each other we could say hello.

Chris (aka Crash)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM

we will be in rupert june21-26. fishing around the work and hopefully up to whales and dundas if the weather is good and the boat is running up to snuff. would love to have another boat in the area thats on the same page. pm me if you guys are up at the same time or call me on the radio. thinking of naming the new rig Poonin Butts or just call for bard. as far as batteries i have an unlimited supply of deep cycles so they are always in good shape. the motor is in good shape from what i know but it will be getting the once over and some good trial runs before it is allowed to be going too far from shore. cant wait...only 4 months to go
Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 AM
Banned

I am not an expert in the rigging sphere but we use to have a project very similar to this. Bear in the case of overhead rigging, the primary concern is always safety. Secondary is liability. More on https://twaylifting.com/

Last edited by SammyS778; 11-16-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 AM

I think that if you install a fuel seperator with a glass bottom it must not be below deck. If you do not already have one i would install a battery main disconnect switch. It will allow you to use multiple batteries seperately or together. You can also turn off all electrical if you so choose.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:00 AM

The best money i spent on my boat was to upgrade the sounder to include a navigation chip. It makes navigating the waters around rupert a snap. It shows me where i am on the chart and avoids any chance of unknowingly running into shallow water.