Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 01:03 AM

Default 2004 F150 5.4L Stalling Issue

Any insight would be appreciated.

After lots of online research and about $1000 in changing out parts, I'm at the end of my rope.

This was apparently a common issue with this model year.

I've had the truck for over a year and a half and absolutely love it. It began stalling shortly after I bought it. A full service of plugs, filters, etcs seemed to mitigate the issue. It quit at idle, but occasionally. Eventually, the stalling entirely went away on its own and stayed that way for over a year now. We figured that the computer had reset itself as the truck had sat for quite some time.

Over the weekend though, my daughter and I went out hunting. I filled up prior. Through the course of the day, it became absolutely terrible. Would not stay running. Within seconds of coming off of the accelerator it would die. Had to drive with two feet to keep the RPMs up.

As a bit of a long shot, I pulled the gas cap off. Thinking that it perhaps was not breathing properly and creating a vacuum in the system. Especially considering that this seems to be a colder weather problem.

It has definitely improved the problem, but it's still there but on an occasional basis.

The closest thing I've read online that could be the problem is a vacuum line between the engine and firewall leaking. Absolutely miserable to get at. However, most of the threads on the Ford forums are extremely dated, and there are a wide variety of opinions/solutions.

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated.

Tree
Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM

Default 5.4

You say you filled it up prior.Could it be ****ty fuel?Probably not the problem but it may contribute to rough idle. 5.4 was known for faulty cam sensor which is a bit of a major! Good luck
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 AM

I had a problem like that but in a 97 chev half ton. Finally it just quit and turned out to be the fuel pump in the gas tank.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:41 AM

Fuel pump. Fuel filter. Fuel line pinched. Fuel interia switch. Sounds like a fuel supply issue.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Gas lime anti freeze....dump a bunch in.....go cheap route first.....moisture....freezing temps....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-13-2018, 07:11 AM

Sounds like a vacum line is leaking possible the pcv line (common). Or iac has failed . Pm me for some more info if you like
Old 11-13-2018, 10:33 AM

Is this the 5.4 Triton? Might make no difference but my old 06 was hesitating, chugging, at times, usually at the beginning of a hill when the revs would come up. Replaced fuel sensor, fuel sending sensor?, in or just outside tank, ( I didnt do it), and voila. No more issues. Found a shop just south of whitemud, 97 or 99 ave that knew Fords well and they did a great job.

They also managed to get all 8 previously unchanged plugs out at 200k without snapping one which is no mean feat.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Banned

Does it sound like a diesel? If it does it’s the Cam phaser. Couple options, replace entire engine, cost will depend on new or used engine. Replace the Cam phasers for about $3500, or do what I did and tell the mechanic he can keep the truck just give me the tires off it. Mine was a 2008.

I will never buy another ford, even if the newer ones seem fine, the whole experience ticks me off. Worst part is, I spent $2300 on the mechanic monkeying around with it first, I even told the idiot it was the Cam phasers when I first brought it in!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:58 AM

If removing the gas cap helped, this may not be a issue for you but check your air intake. The hose that comes from the air box to the manifold. I recently bought used F250 with the V10, the hose clamp was loose on the manifold side. Same issue, ran then died unless I had my foot into it. Re fit and tighten and issue gone.

New fuel filter and fuel pump? A friends Chev had a similar issue. Fuel pump was the culprit.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:13 PM

I suggest a Fuel pump.
If its already running and keeps dying, that's what I would suggest is that the fuel pump is shot and not functioning properly
Old 11-13-2018, 12:14 PM

Check the air idle solenoid and make sure it is working and not gummed up. Then check for vaccum leak.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Banned

Sounds like what happened with my '05 5.4L Triton. They are notorious for cam phasers going causing issues like that. Dieseling, rpm dropping to almost a stall and eventually it does start to stall and finally.......it stalls and won't start again.

If you want to check to see if that's what it is, put heavier oil in it with a half litre of Lucas heavy engine wear. You should notice an immediate improvement in performance. If that works you'll only be delaying the inevitable though. Mine lasted 2 years longer doing that but in the end the motor was toast.

Your cams are likely scored if you are at the point that you are......GET RID OF IT and take the loss if you have to.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Did you check the codes? Something should come up.

Grizz
Old 11-13-2018, 05:34 PM

Fuel pump and fuel sending unit. My 2004 would do that after running for a while and going up hill or stepping on it.

LC
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 PM

Default hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Fuel pump and fuel sending unit. My 2004 would do that after running for a while and going up hill or stepping on it.

LC
ehicle Application:
2005 Expedition 5.4
2006 Expedition 5.4
2005 F-150 4.6
2006 F-150 4.6
2004 F-150 5.4
2005 F-150 5.4
2006 F-150 5.4
2006 F-250 Super Duty 5.4
2005 F-250 Super Duty 6.8
2005 F-350 Super Duty 6.8
2005 F-550 Super Duty 6.8
Customer Concern: The engine idles too low and sets a code P0506. Intermittently the vehicle will stall at a stop.
Average Reported Mileage: 119869
Tests/Procedures: 1. Start with checking for any vacuum leaks or any problems with the air inlet ducting being loose or damaged. Also be sure the air filter housing is sealed properly and that the air filter is the correct one.

2. If no problems are found with the air filter or air inlet, check the throttle body for excessive build up. Clean as needed and recheck operation.
Tech Tips: Refer to TSB 08-18-2 for an updated Powertrain Control Module (PCM) programming for low idle speeds and stalling, typically after having the battery disconnected and on replacing the throttle body if needed.
Author:
Jerry Rathman
TSBs

08-18-2
Diagnostic Codes

P0506
Potential Causes
With Service Manual diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures

Incorrect Air Filter

Loose Duct

Leaking Engine Vacuum

Dirty Throttle Body
Confirmed Fix Summary
Confirmed Fix
With Service Manual diagrams, components, TSBs, and R&R procedures

94 - Cleaned/Performed Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure

91 - Replaced/Cleaned Throttle Body

11 - Replaced/Cleaned Electronic Throttle Body (ETB)

7 - Performed Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming

7 - Performed Idle Speed Relearn and Cleaned Throttle Body

6 - Performed Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming and Performed Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure

3 - Performed Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming and Replaced/Cleaned Throttle Body

3 - Reset/Cleared Keep Alive Memory (KAM) and Cleaned Throttle Body

3 - Replaced/Cleaned Electronic Throttle Body (ETB) and Performed Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming

2 - Reset Keep Alive Memory (KAM) and Performed Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure

2 - Replaced Engine Air Filter and Cleaned Throttle Body

2 - Repaired/Removed Throttle Body and Performed Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure

2 - Replaced Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve

1 - Cleaned Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

1 - Replaced Intake Manifold Gasket(s)

1 - Cleaned Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor and Cleaned Throttle Body

1 - Replaced Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve

1 - Performed Engine Carbon Cleaning Procedure

1 - Replaced Oxygen (O2) Sensor(s) and Replaced Throttle
Old 11-13-2018, 06:25 PM

Your issue is not cam phasers which pretty much every 5.4 Triton, 2004 -2008, had. Same with the problem spark plugs.

Cam phasers cause the clackety clack motor noise.

I will put good money on it being a fuel sending/fuel sensor, fuel pump issue. Can't remember if one or the other is inside the tank. S/be $500 max fix. Lots of these Fords in the model years started had it.

Mine wasnt stalling but it was bogging and running rough when the revs dropped, like being at the bottom of a hill when youd step on the gas to go up the next. You could feel it inside the cab.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

And so what was the issue?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Banned

Could you imagine the "outrage" on here that would happen if a "shop" spent $1000 on a problem and didn't fix it ??
PS: make sure you take off your battery terminals and touch them together, that usually works
Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Your issue is not cam phasers which pretty much every 5.4 Triton, 2004 -2008, had. Same with the problem spark plugs.

Cam phasers cause the clackety clack motor noise.

I will put good money on it being a fuel sending/fuel sensor, fuel pump issue. Can't remember if one or the other is inside the tank. S/be $500 max fix. Lots of these Fords in the model years started had it.

Mine wasnt stalling but it was bogging and running rough when the revs dropped, like being at the bottom of a hill when youd step on the gas to go up the next. You could feel it inside the cab.
Fuel pump is in tank, sending unit is under spare tire...they get rusty and malfunction. Mine needed both replaced, I did the fuel filter prior to these other two things.

LC
Old 11-13-2018, 11:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Short of the stalling issue coming back after well over a year, the truck is a gem.

Immediately after I bought it, we did a full service. There was no issue at this time. Plugs, filters, fluids, etc. The module on the rear cross member that controls the fuel pump was cracked and replaced. The MAF was also replaced. Throttle body was pulled and cleaned once at the shop, and once by myself.

It started stalling after all this work. I had it in a couple times since right after. Codes indicated a damaged PCM. Mechanic does not believe there's any cam phaser issues. I had to replace the battery and the problem essentially stopped at that point for the next year.

It just came back big time while back in the bush. Gas cap trick improved the situation, but it's still there.

I work out of town a lot, so she's not a daily driver. In fact, I've only put just over 6000 km on it in over a year and a half. Ergo, I did not really pursue the PCM issue. (Apparently, you can re flash it with new TSB mapping?)

The fuel pressure was tested and considered on the low side, but not concerning. I don't let it get much below half a tank either.

I have done hours of reading on this, as it was a common issue. The hope of this thread was to perhaps bump into someone who overcame the same issue with the same rig. Lot's of great advice though which is much appreciated. I'm laid off at the moment, so the issue will have to remain a mystery for now. Just being a cheap bugger hoping for an easy fix..

Tree
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Check the air idle solenoid and make sure it is working and not gummed up. Then check for vaccum leak.
This

What did you find when you had cleaned the throttle body?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:09 PM

I am not sure if it will fix it, but I hope my email will help a little

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
This

What did you find when you had cleaned the throttle body?
There is no IAC on the 04. Throttle body cleaning (x2) I would say had minimal results.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am not sure if it will fix it, but I hope my email will help a little
Thanks, but no thanks.

Didn't want to make this post, but...

I purchased this vehicle sight unseen over a year and a half ago from a good friend and fellow AO member. When he saw this thread, I received a phone call first thing the next morning...concerned I was angry with him for selling me a lemon. (I'm NOT, and it isn't). Tonight, he attempted to refund me via e-transfer to help offset any costs.

Obviously I refused. His responsibility ended the second I drove off with it.

Today, on a hunch, I fueled up from 3/4 tank with octane 94 and added some gas line antifreeze. Within 20 minutes the stalling issue seemed to rectify itself. I'm hoping that a crappy batch of fuel was the problem.

At any rate, I'm proud to call Ken a friend. God blessed him with a body that size as it was the only way to fit a heart that big into.

Tree
Old 11-15-2018, 03:12 AM

Hopefully it was just bad gas (the truck, not you).
There must a be purge valve or evap valve somewhere. I'm not very familiar with the 5.4 other than cam phasers and the plugs.
That would be my guess.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Is this the 5.4 Triton? Might make no difference but my old 06 was hesitating, chugging, at times, usually at the beginning of a hill when the revs would come up. Replaced fuel sensor, fuel sending sensor?, in or just outside tank, ( I didnt do it), and voila. No more issues. Found a shop just south of whitemud, 97 or 99 ave that knew Fords well and they did a great job.

They also managed to get all 8 previously unchanged plugs out at 200k without snapping one which is no mean feat.

X2 on that. I had an 04 and it had the same problem. This fixed it.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Thanks, but no thanks.

Didn't want to make this post, but...

I purchased this vehicle sight unseen over a year and a half ago from a good friend and fellow AO member. When he saw this thread, I received a phone call first thing the next morning...concerned I was angry with him for selling me a lemon. (I'm NOT, and it isn't). Tonight, he attempted to refund me via e-transfer to help offset any costs.

Obviously I refused. His responsibility ended the second I drove off with it.

Today, on a hunch, I fueled up from 3/4 tank with octane 94 and added some gas line antifreeze. Within 20 minutes the stalling issue seemed to rectify itself. I'm hoping that a crappy batch of fuel was the problem.

At any rate, I'm proud to call Ken a friend. God blessed him with a body that size as it was the only way to fit a heart that big into.

Tree
Bravo fellows. I sure wish there were more guys like you in the world.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:36 PM

The 5.4's had an issue with the fuel pump control, located on the frame crossmember forward of the spare tire.

Its housing was made of aluminum, and being in contact with the steel crossmember would cause a cathodic reaction, which would mean the housing would fall apart (literally turn to dust/bauxite), and the circuitry would fail due to moisture/contamination.

Have a look under the truck, and see if that housing looks like this:

I bought a replacement (Amazon) for around $100. Easy to change, problem solved.

The new ones come with standoffs, that electrically isolate the housing from the frame:

Disclaimer: The part number required for your specific application may not match the part number in the picture!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
The 5.4's had an issue with the fuel pump control, located on the frame crossmember forward of the spare tire.

Its housing was made of aluminum, and being in contact with the steel crossmember would cause a cathodic reaction, which would mean the housing would fall apart (literally turn to dust/bauxite), and the circuitry would fail due to moisture/contamination.

Have a look under the truck, and see if that housing looks like this:

I bought a replacement (Amazon) for around $100. Easy to change, problem solved.

The new ones come with standoffs, that electrically isolate the housing from the frame:

Disclaimer: The part number required for your specific application may not match the part number in the picture!

Yep. 9 times out of 10 that's the problem with the 04-08 5.4 fuel problems.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Default F150 experiences motor cutting-out

My F150 eco boost was cutting-out but would restart itself and keep rolling.
Solved the problem by having the speed sensor replaced $800.
Was quoted $1600 by another shop who was planning to rip me off - not sure if it was going to be intentional or accidental.