Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 AM

Default How long??

Just wondering how long a trapline can be vacant before the trapper looses the rights to it.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2015, 08:39 AM

By vacant I'm assuming you are referring to not actually trapping it. In that case the answer currently is.....forever....as long as the current senior partner continues to pay his annual fee! There is no legislation that requires a trapper to trap a minimum number of fur each year. Hopefully this changes one day. This is why the biologists are really cracking down on who whey give traplines to these days. Because once they give it to you....they really can't take it away.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
By vacant I'm assuming you are referring to not actually trapping it. In that case the answer currently is.....forever....as long as the current senior partner continues to pay his annual fee! There is no legislation that requires a trapper to trap a minimum number of fur each year. Hopefully this changes one day. This is why the biologists are really cracking down on who whey give traplines to these days. Because once they give it to you....they really can't take it away.
I think they actually can. I cant back this up with a law to refer to, but I was told by older guy's they can take it away.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I think they actually can. I cant back this up with a law to refer to, but I was told by older guy's they can take it away.
There was a discussion on here last year wrt this and I believe that what you stated is what fellas were saying. I recall one fella mentioning that he knew a guy that didn't trap his line and he just bought fur to turn in to make it look like he was working the line.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:59 PM

Read page 14.
http://www.albertatrappers.com/pdf/e...al_011-017.pdf

So I might interpret that if a senior RFMA holder doesn't renew yearly, the line becomes vacant after the 5 year term.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 AM

Well, isn't that a good deal!
have a trap line and don't have to use it.

And all the folks that are complaining about grazing leases.....

Quite amazing!
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 PM

At the last Calgary chapter meeting, I found out that there is in fact no way for the powers that be to know if a trapline is being actively trapped or not but are looking at putting some record keeping and reporting rules into place with a "3" strike system, where the lineholder gets a couple of warnings before loosing the line in a effort to keep the outfitters from owning lines that are never trapped. Not much more detail but I was pretty shocked to hear from our local director that there is no mandatory reporting of registered lines, catches etc.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:08 PM

"Not much more detail but I was pretty shocked to hear from our local director that there is no mandatory reporting of registered lines, catches etc."

Not true on either count. We have to register and pay annually for each RFMA and report our harvest.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 PM

Default Mandatory quota

Just a junior but my senior has to actively trap a minimum of 25 furs each season and file a report at the time of renewal each year. Not sure if the minimum quota has any actual legally binding effects but he traps beyond the minimum required quota each year so no worries. That being said they do not ask for receipts of furs sold so technically someone could be lying about their harvest . My first full season this year so I am hoping to get some coyote fox marten and beaver this winter to ship in my name and begin to build my own record as I believe more attention will be paid to actual, factual data such as sale receipts in the future.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:43 PM

Just to add my 2cents the gal at my local f&w office told me to keep my nafa shipping receipts so if I wanted a line one day bring those to help prove I actively trap year after year. When I get my resident license they have me declare my catch. So I take my nafa receipt in to fill out the paperwork. If there is a quota in ab do you get a exemption if your line burns down like cold lake or slave lake?