Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
This is probably the guy who thinks doing the speed limit in the left hand lane is perfectly fine.
And you are the guy that thinks speeding is perfectly fine? Who of the 2 of us breaking a law?
Legally the left lane is for passing slower moving vehicles in the right lane, designated 'slower traffic lane'.
Problem?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
This is probably the guy who thinks doing the speed limit in the left hand lane is perfectly fine.
That's because doing the speed limit in the left hand lane is perfectly fine.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Not when you're taking your sweet time at 110.5 passing vehicles doing 110 while holding up 20 vehicles that want to do 120. You're not the pilot driver guiding traffic. Wait to pass when you see others coming up behind you at a higher rate of speed.

If you slow traffic up while in the passing lane you're doing it wrong.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Not when you're taking your sweet time at 110.5 passing vehicles doing 110 while holding up 20 vehicles that want to do 120. You're not the pilot driver guiding traffic. Wait to pass when you see others coming up behind you at a higher rate of speed.

Just trying to keep you safe, lots of domestics, and half tons, on the road and speed is the No. 1 factor in an accident.

The laws we think its "okay" to break though hey, maybe because the typical penalty isn't deterrent enough or lots of people do it.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

speed lim·it
[ˈspēd ˌlimit]

NOUN
the maximum speed at which a vehicle may legally travel on a particular stretch of road.
"a 50 mph speed limit"

The traffic exceeding the speed limit is doing it wrong
Old 11-10-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Actually its not when your holding up traffic. You can be ticketed for this.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
And you are the guy that thinks speeding is perfectly fine? Who of the 2 of us breaking a law?
Legally the left lane is for passing slower moving vehicles in the right lane, designated 'slower traffic lane'.
Problem?
Which one of us is is the more dangerous driver. The guy doing 120km/hr on a divided highway, or the guy doing 110 in the left lane that's holding up traffic. My guess is you in the left lane holding up traffic.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Actually its not when your holding up traffic. You can be ticketed for this.
How did we get to this point?
A car doing the speed limit gets ticketed for holding up cars speeding?

Slow down to let speeding cars hogging the passing lane go by before you legally pass a slower vehicle.

Playground rules?
Old 11-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Which one of us is is the more dangerous driver. The guy doing 120km/hr on a divided highway, or the guy doing 110 in the left lane that's holding up traffic. My guess is you in the left lane holding up traffic.
The one speeding
Old 11-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Its called impeding the flow of traffic.

The right hand lane is where you need to be. Left lane is for passing, and when it comes time to pass, move out, get on the throttle, pass, and move back into the right hand lane. As mentioned before dont do 1km faster than the vehicle your trying to over take.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Its called impeding the flow of traffic.

The right hand lane is where you need to be. Left lane is for passing, and when it comes time to pass, move out, get on the throttle, pass, and move back into the right hand lane. As mentioned before dont do 1km faster than the vehicle your trying to over take.

The left hand lane is just for passing, why are you behind the car passing? You should slow down until the pass is completed then pass both cars.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 AM

Maybe re read what I said.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Just trying to keep you safe, lots of domestics, and half tons, on the road and speed is the No. 1 factor in an accident.

And I appreciate it. Good to see you agreeing that speed and driving too fast for conditions are the #1 cause.

Domestics in the majority are an unfortunate reality where we live.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Show me one case, just one, were someone was ticketed simply for driving the speed limit on the highway, I'll wait. I can show you lots of cases where someone was ticket for the simple act of speeding.

Last edited by Trochu; 11-10-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
speed lim·it
[ˈspēd ˌlimit]

NOUN
the maximum speed at which a vehicle may legally travel on a particular stretch of road.
"a 50 mph speed limit"

The traffic exceeding the speed limit is doing it wrong

I'm not talking traveling at 160, BUT if you're an attentive driver doing the limit, and you see a vehicle coming up behind you at a rate much higher than yours, dont pull out to pass a vehicle doing 109. Its not your job to control the speed of the vehicles in the passing lane.

You must not drive hwy 2 much. Any given trip will have you seeing long lineups of vehicles in the pass lane, held up by some doorknob who thinks it's his right to do the limit in the pass lane while the lineup wants to do 115.

Be courteous. Make your pass and get over into the right lane promptly. Let those that want to do 115 by...then pull out to pass the next vehicle you slowly inch up on when its "courteous to do so."
Old 11-10-2018, 10:16 AM

It ill be a cold day in heck before I slow down for a lawbreaker

The problem is cruise on 110 you come up on a vehicle doing less checking the PASSING lane some speeder doing 120 is hogging the lane he's not passing anyone just hogging the "fast" lane. I take control of the passing lane until I complete my pass the lawbreaker can slow down.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
It ill be a cold day in heck before I slow down for a lawbreaker

The problem is cruise on 110 you come up on a vehicle doing less checking the PASSING lane some speeder doing 120 is hogging the lane he's not passing anyone just hogging the "fast" lane. I take control of the passing lane until I complete my pass the lawbreaker can slow down.
So you're passing the other car and staying at 110? Yup, you're part of the problem. You could simply speed up 10km/hr and get by the guy quicker and safer because you're not causing someone behind you doing 120 to step on his brakes. Or better yet, wait until your lane is clear before cutting off the guy who is already in the passing lane.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Why do you guys feel speeding is okay and others on the road should break the law as to not inconvenience speeders?
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So you're passing the other car and staying at 110? Yup, you're part of the problem. You could simply speed up 10km/hr and get by the guy quicker and safer because you're not causing someone behind you doing 120 to step on his brakes. Or better yet, wait until your lane is clear before cutting off the guy who is already in the passing lane.

Why are you in the left lane if you're not passing someone? If you are in the process of passing me I couldn't be in the passing lane?? the problem is people speeding and too lazy to stay in the right lane UNTILL YOU ARE READY TO PASS
Old 11-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Why do you guys feel speeding is okay and others on the road should break the law as to not inconvenience speeders?
Why do you guys feel the need to be the police and control the speed on a highway. You will never get a ticket at 120 on highway 2. Ask any police officer if 120 is acceptable on this highway. The guy holding up traffic by being mr wannabe enforcement in the passing lane is way more dangerous than someone doing 10% over. Not to mention causing everyone around him anger. My take on it is the person doing this knows they are being an a@% hat and likes it. On the other hand if you're doing 140+ that's a different story. But again, why not move over let the maniac speed by and get as far away from you as possible to increase your safety?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:12 AM

There are signs along QE2 that read " slower traffic keep right and let others pass" But 80 % of drivers do not know what that means so they just stay in the left lane.

Also Big rigs need to be driving at a set speed If you have a rig going 105 and another is trying to pass at 106 they can hold up traffic for quite some time.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Why do you guys feel the need to be the police and control the speed on a highway. You will never get a ticket at 120 on highway 2. Ask any police officer if 120 is acceptable on this highway. The guy holding up traffic by being mr wannabe enforcement in the passing lane is way more dangerous than someone doing 10% over. Not to mention causing everyone around him anger. My take on it is the person doing this knows they are being an a@% hat and likes it. On the other hand if you're doing 140+ that's a different story. But again, why not move over let the maniac speed by and get as far away from you as possible to increase your safety?
I never once said I don't speed or do, hold up traffic or not, etc. So I don't feel the need. Moving on, so, from your post, it's okay to break the law as long as one doesnt get caught?

Probably a useless discussion, doubt logic can be used with people supporting breaking the law on a public forum. Be sure to get the gate for your neighborhood poacher, alot of them don't get caught either or think there is a difference between hunting at 6:30 or poaching at 6:32.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
There are signs along QE2 that read " slower traffic keep right and let others pass" But 80 % of drivers do not know what that means so they just stay in the left lane.

Also Big rigs need to be driving at a set speed If you have a rig going 105 and another is trying to pass at 106 they can hold up traffic for quite some time.

Careful. The entitled that think they make the highway rules and refuse to be courteous will be offended. Former hall monitors I'm thinking.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Why are you in the left lane if you're not passing someone? If you are in the process of passing me I couldn't be in the passing lane?? the problem is people speeding and too lazy to stay in the right lane UNTILL YOU ARE READY TO PASS
Show me where a "passing lane" is designated in the regulations and I'm an instant believer. I don't drive in that lane but there's no law against it.
Some guy's are so spooked by this supposed law that they can't wait to get back in the right lane after passing someone, almost cutting the right lane driver off.

Relax and you'll likely get to your destination with 5 min of your ETA.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Show me where a "passing lane" is designated in the regulations and I'm an instant believer. I don't drive in that lane but there's no law against it.
Some guy's are so spooked by this supposed law that they can't wait to get back in the right lane after passing someone, almost cutting the right lane driver off.

Relax and you'll likely get to your destination with 5 min of your ETA.
Passing on a multi-lane
highway
On a multi-lane highway, slower traffic
should use the travel lane furthest to the
right (unless needing the left lane to turn
left). This leaves the left lane available for
drivers of other vehicles for passing.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2003.htm

Is everybody in Alberta required to pass driver training ?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Passing on a multi-lane
highway
On a multi-lane highway, slower traffic
should use the travel lane furthest to the
right (unless needing the left lane to turn
left). This leaves the left lane available for
drivers of other vehicles for passing.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2003.htm

Is everybody in Alberta required to pass driver training ?
"should use" is different than "must use" and doesn't make the left lane a designated passing lane. Passing on the right lane is legal as well . Why not use it?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
"should use" is different than "must use" and doesn't make the left lane a designated passing lane. Passing on the right lane is legal as well . Why not use it?
Courtesy and common sense?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Can't see where Courtesy applies. If your in a big hurry, pass a left lane driver on the right. That's common sense... and easier than getting your s..t in a knot.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Lol! Any excuse to break laws huh?
'I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic doing 120+ Officer'doesnt fly if they are actively patrolling.
You are breaking the law. Just because someone else is stupid enough to do it dont expect others to get out of your way.
Put it this way- I have a rear facing camera. If you endanger my life because you are in a hurry and are tailgating me expect a visit.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Lol! Any excuse to break laws huh?
'I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic doing 120+ Officer'doesnt fly if they are actively patrolling.
You are breaking the law. Just because someone else is stupid enough to do it dont expect others to get out of your way.
Put it this way- I have a rear facing camera. If you endanger my life because you are in a hurry and are tailgating me expect a visit.
If you are driving 110 in the left lane you are impeding traffic as that is a PASSING LANE only. Showing a LEO your camera with you backing up traffic for a mile or more might actually get you a well deserved ticket.