Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2022, 08:24 PM

It boils down to some common courtesy and respect. After the queen has been laid to rest, may the people express their views.

During the period where the Queen lays in state, we should be respectful. Not the time, nor the place.

People may HATE colonialism, royalty, whatever .... but this Queens legacy will be one where she supported more and more independence from the Empire without trying to control the commonwealth - she truly embraced self determination.

That's how I see it.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post

I think this thread is in very bad taste,cant this wait untill after the burial at least? The queen has been the most influential person in most of our lives,have some respect please.
Check Again, FishAlong (and others) ... This thread is NOT about Elizabeth Windsor, or her passing ❗❗

This thread is about the 'Institution' of the monarchy and it's waning relevance ... not only here in Canada, but in the Commonwealth as a whole, and now even in Britain.

Besides, even the Diehard Dinosaur Monarchists know, the present state of the monarchy ain't gonna work to well, anyway . . .

My Two Nickels,

Selkirk
Old 09-17-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
It boils down to some common courtesy and respect. After the queen has been laid to rest, may the people express their views.

During the period where the Queen lays in state, we should be respectful. Not the time, nor the place.

People may HATE colonialism, royalty, whatever .... but this Queens legacy will be one where she supported more and more independence from the Empire without trying to control the commonwealth - she truly embraced self determination.

That's how I see it.

^^^^^^^ well said^^^^^^^
Old 09-17-2022, 09:51 PM

The vast majority of us would not be here if it wasn’t for the British long ago.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

^^^^^^^ well said^^^^^^^
See post #32.

Selkirk
Old 09-18-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
See post #32.

Selkirk
I agree with EZM’s statement. I don’t agree with your opinion on the Monarchy.

Timing is everything, yours is off
Old 09-18-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
See post #32.

Selkirk
I agree with Selkirk's statement.

I noticed that the crowds that greeted King Charles were made up of mostly women. The ratio had to of been close to 30 to 1 at times. Fondness for the Monarchy in my opinion is for enjoyment by women and not that much by men.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
I agree with Selkirk's statement.

I noticed that the crowds that greeted King Charles were made up of mostly women. The ratio had to of been close to 30 to 1 at times. Fondness for the Monarchy in my opinion is for enjoyment by women and not that much by men.
I thought about what you said about a persons sex being critical for wanting to see the new King in person.

I went through a lots of photos and can see why you may think that and why you may be mistaken.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62940182

When looking at any pictures and there are lots of them… the first row of people is usually women… second row mix… third row out mostly men.

An observational reason for this is couples are coming out. Men are taller and are putting their wives / girlfriends in front of them. Taller men are being gracious and allowing shorter women in front OR men are just being chivalrous and polite and kind by letting women up in front.

While the odd photo may seem to show more women… check out other photos and video and look deeper into the crowd. There are lots of men. Looks very close to 50/50.

It may change your mind.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-18-2022, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I thought about what you said about a persons sex being critical for wanting to see the new King in person.

I went through a lots of photos and can see why you may think that and why you may be mistaken.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62940182

When looking at any pictures and there are lots of them… the first row of people is usually women… second row mix… third row out mostly men.

An observational reason for this is couples are coming out. Men are taller and are putting their wives / girlfriends in front of them. Taller men are being gracious and allowing shorter women in front OR men are just being chivalrous and polite and kind by letting women up in front.

While the odd photo may seem to show more women… check out other photos and video and look deeper into the crowd. There are lots of men. Looks very close to 50/50.

It may change your mind.
Women are bigger fans according to this...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ain-by-gender/
Old 09-18-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.crentist View Post

Wow. Average 60% support the monarchy.

64 to 59% isn’t that big a range… also very hard to say how it would change the 50/50 guess. Even if it was 60/40… the 30-1 comment earlier doesn’t hold much water.

Quote:
Support for the British monarchy 2022, by gender
Published by D. Clark, Sep 8, 2022
As of 2022, support for the British monarchy is stronger among females, with 64 percent of respondents supporting the monarchy, compared with 59 percent of males. In the same survey, 25 percent of males supported and elected head of state, compared with 19 percent of females.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-18-2022, 10:26 PM
Banned

I got no dog in this, just helping out your detectiving
Old 09-18-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:

I'd say a 64% vs 59% supports what Sundance is saying vs 30:1.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:11 AM

I think the implication was , that if you are supportive the Monarchy then you are either a woman or not a macho manly man .
Old 09-19-2022, 08:04 PM
Banned

Old 09-20-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Fourteen people colored little signs is all it takes to get on the news these days? Meanwhile people are in a line several km long, for hours, if not days, to pay their respects. That's the storey in my opinion.
Considering the British police were arresting people last week for holding signs, wrestling them to the ground and dragging them off...
Old 09-20-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolibri View Post
Considering the British police were arresting people last week for holding signs, wrestling them to the ground and dragging them off...
Ya. That’s not right. Peaceful protests and signs shouldn’t be illegal.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethunter View Post
What does that matter? But just for fun - where do you think they'd be now without our help in ww2? The UK needed us more than we needed them in 1939, I think. Not that I think we shouldn't have become involved and far from it, but not sure what you're trying to say.
It matters plenty to me, having had a lot more skin in the game (when born in Surrey (England) in 1942) than most AO members. Without the morale boosting support of the monarchy then who knows what the world would be like today?
Old 09-21-2022, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
It matters plenty to me, having had a lot more skin in the game (when born in Surrey (England) in 1942) than most AO members. Without the morale boosting support of the monarchy then who knows what the world would be like today?
Small world. My family on my mother's side were all born and raised in Surrey. My mother was a war bride. My grandfather was very high up in the British military and highly decorated. He was invited to the queens coronation by her personally. So guess I got some "skin in the game" to. Because of my dad's side (Scottish heritage) I'm 4th generation Canadian though.

The Brits know how to do pomp and I do enjoy watching it. But ive got no real thoughts much on it one way or the other actually for Canada leaving.

Last edited by cranky; 09-21-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:25 AM

I'm mostly indifferent when it comes to the monarchy although I thought it was pretty cool at the time when my Dad met the Queen near Peace River in 1978. I was probably 100 feet away and 16 at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Queen.jpg (50.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-21-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Small world. My family on my mother's side were all born and raised in Surrey. My mother was a war bride. My grandfather was very high up in the British military and highly decorated. He was invited to the queens coronation by her personally. So guess I got some "skin in the game" to. Because of my dad's side (Scottish heritage) I'm 4th generation Canadian though.

The Brits know how to do pomp and I do enjoy watching it. But ive got no real thoughts much on it one way or the other actually for Canada leaving.
Small world indeed! Exactly the same for me. Was raised in Cranleigh ("biggest village in England"} then we moved to Calgary in '46.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Small world indeed! Exactly the same for me. Was raised in Cranleigh ("biggest village in England"} then we moved to Calgary in '46.
My grandfather came to Canada from Glasgow in the early 1900’s. His parents owned a dairy farm but leased the land. He caught TB and they had to go to a different city for treatment and care. They were gone a month.

They missed a lease payment and the owner foreclosed and sold all their assets to pay the debt. Church said go to Canada. They had a choice to travel to Montreal, Regina or Edmonton. They chose Edmonton.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:10 PM

even the Diehard Dinosaur Monarchists know, the present state of the monarchy ain't gonna work to well, anyway . . .

I'm thinking Charles will hang on, but his successor could well be the last reigning monarch.

Grizz
'

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-21-2022, 04:15 PM
Banned

The monarchy is the Kardashians of the UK and I'd argue Kim worked just as hard, lol. ..if not harder for her money, fame and power.

Being born as your only qualification to be worshipped is ridiculous. Thousands if not millions of people could do the same job or better if they were granted the same leg up in life.

None of them are special.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The monarchy is the Kardashians of the UK and I'd argue Kim worked just as hard, lol. ..if not harder for her money, fame and power.

Being born as your only qualification to be worshipped is ridiculous. Thousands if not millions of people could do the same job or better if they were granted the same leg up in life.

None of them are special.
If bums were crowns Kim would rule the universe...what a ridiculous comparison!
Old 09-26-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post

The vast majority of us would not be here if it wasn’t for the British long ago.

Well, if we owed the Brits anything (and many will question that), it's been paid back 10+ Times Over, a Looong time ago.

As Canada is now an independent Country, and Not a colony ... I am a 'Citizen' of that Country, and Refuse to be considered
a Subject of Any king or queen.

It's long time past due, that we retire the monarchy here in Canada ... Whatever It Takes

Selkirk
Old 09-26-2022, 04:12 PM

There is still some benefit to belonging to the Commonwealth as part of a group of countries. That is how I see it.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:40 PM

I'm picturing JT on the twenty and his dad on the five

Aside from the money what else would change?
Old 09-26-2022, 05:10 PM

To me, I see the monarchy as a tradition, a historical connection.

The latest royals are hardly any different than their ancestors.......but way less violent.

Years ago, people were unaware of most things. Today, info, crap or fact, is at your fingertips. Skeletons are on full display. More to come....
Old 09-26-2022, 05:11 PM

Thumbs down Modern myth

Once upon a time I was told the monarchy was an important institution that provided oversight of our government; effectively a checks and balances system to prevent illegal laws and government overreach. How? All federal and provincial laws enacted require royal assent of the Queen (now the King) before they become law. That is one of the official duties of the (provincial) Lieutenant Governors and the (federal) Governor General. Another is the ability to dissolve an incompetent government for various defined reasons. ie. corruption, criminal activity, unethical practices
Decades of unacknowledged activity by various governments in Canada have shown me that what we were told is not, in fact, true.

The monarchy no longer serves a legitimate purpose.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-26-2022, 05:35 PM

If someone can find an unbiased and credible link to the pros and the cons of changing our system of government I would like to read it.

How much would it cost to the economy?
How long would it take?
What would be improved?
What would be worse off?

I just don’t know enough about the topic to make an informed opinion.