Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Default 80 pound bow

I need some help. What arrows do i need to buy(size) if i want to shoot easton ? Whats the lightest i can go?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilk0 View Post
I need some help. What arrows do i need to buy(size) if i want to shoot easton ? Whats the lightest i can go?
Depending on the bow most will only accept 5gr per pound minimum....so you are looking at 400gr total complete arrow weight as a bare minimum.

LC
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 AM

At 80 LBs, caution is needed not to use an arrow that is too light, even with the suggested mininum 5gr per, a 5gr arrow out of a 80 lb bow is would be like mini dry fires and would be loud and hard on bow...

With Easton a .300 gr arrow is needed with the 80 lb, the .300 FMJ although at 12gr per would stil be blazing fast, penertration would be unreal with pass thru and beyond, and your bow would be very quite with much less stress.

The A/C/CŪ Pro Hunting arrow also in a .300 and only 10.4 gr per would be flat and blazin ..

The Nemesis also comes in a .300gr at only 10.7 gr per..

Those would be my three suggestions with easton..

Neil
Old 02-07-2014, 03:22 PM

My bow is at 81 lbs after trial and error I found Carbon Express maxima hunters 450 to be very good they have a .298 spine and shoot great out of my bow. They are 9.7 gpi. I believe I am around 470-80 total weight I can't remember off hand I would give them a look. I have never shot easton arrows but I'll be taking a look at the ones mentioned above by Lost he knows his stuff and if they are better I will make the switch.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:05 PM

I shoot 80# and 30" draw and I use the 450 maxima hunters with no problems thus far.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 PM

Just curious, why shoot 80lbs unless you are gong to hunt Africa and it is a requirement?

Cheers, Dave.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:47 PM

i'm shooting the pse radial x weave 400's, they are a 300 spine at 9.2 gpi, they shoot great out of my bow
Old 02-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
Just curious, why shoot 80lbs unless you are gong to hunt Africa and it is a requirement?

Cheers, Dave.
X 2.
I can't figure out why people shoot 80lbs bows with the energy new bows are putting out at 70 or even 60lbs. Am I missing something? Why are shooters choosing these bows?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
X 2.
I can't figure out why people shoot 80lbs bows with the energy new bows are putting out at 70 or even 60lbs. Am I missing something? Why are shooters choosing these bows?
I do it for more energy.
Everyone has different physical attributes 80lbs for me is an easy smooth draw cycle and my energy is higher than if I was shooting 50 60 or 70lbs. I am not saying it is needed I am just answering your question as to why I personally do it. Just shoot whatever poundage you are comfortable with.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 AM

We hear all the time that you only need 40lbs to kill an elk if you "put the arrow where it needs to be"

Well guess what, this is hunting, there are twigs, animals move, we are humans and twitch and that is when the arrow gets sent where it doesn't need to be.

I can draw my 80 lb bow in -25 with all my clothes on or after hiking up a mountain for a sheep.

Being able to shoot a high KE/poundage bow effectively helps stack the deck more so in my favor.

Being able to shoot through a 1100lb bull elk at 50yrds or a quatering deer that you hit in the flank and it comes out his off side shoulder is a great feeling.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Seems that we have gotten onto a .243 versus .300 wsm discussion LOL!

To the OP. Is the bow set at 80#'s right now or is that peak weight it could be set to?

Not trying to be smart as I do not know what your experience level is.

What is your draw length as well (ie. how long an arrow are we talking about)?

Lots of Easton arrows you could use.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 AM

To OP what bow are you shooting, poundage, DL and arrow length, I can or anyone running an archery program can give you some good starting point info. FYI I do not knock anyone for shooting a bow they want but just see so many people shooting over poundage bows that over time develope bad form, habits and wreck their shoulders when it is not necessary. I chased the speed game for a bit with my short draw to try and help with mis judged distance but have since learned to shoot a lower poundage slower bow but know my shooting skill and hone on my judgement. That is one thing that has been great lately is all the involvement in 3d shooting to help one improve their all around bow hunting skills. If you post your info I will take a look at some arrows for you.

Cheers, Dave
Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 AM

Default 80 vs 60

Hilarious arguement. I shoot 64, because I'm confortable with it. But for someone to say shooting #80 is rediculous, isn't right.
These are sharp sticks, not bullets, nothing like the 243 vs 300 arguement.

The comment about stacking the odds in your favor is 100% true! For some people poundage, thoughts of huge K.E. do this, for others, the deck gets stacked in other ways.

BUT...the odds may not always be stacked as some think they are. I was told a long time ago, by a smart guy a way to determine max draw weight. The same smart guy wouldn't even sell my a RH bow because I was left eye dominant...whole other story!

He told me... sit on a bar stool, fold your legs over one another, now hold them out in front of you, as far as you can and draw your bow. Hold for 30 seconds, release - without moving anything...comfortable, accurate?

I am 6'0", 230lbs, strong and in good shape. Yes I can pull 80 all day long, but holding steady stacks the odds in my favor more so than the poundage or a kinetic energy number. Keeping in mind I'm only 9 years into archery haven't picked up a gun, I honestly still don't consider myself a good archer yet either.

I can barely shoot accurate in the fashion described above at #64, let along #80, after sitting in a tree all day in cold weather. May be bang on standing and shooting a target at #80, but if I jumped in a stand would be a different story.

To shoot 80 with the accuracy I can shoot 64 would involve actual strength training, no doubt.

Now... back to the OP, I'd go with the .300 spined FMJ at 12GPI that L.O.S.T. recommends for sure. I'm a Carbon Express guy (my weak ass at my 64lbs!!!); but to be honest, CE doesn't have an arrow that can hang with the Easton FMJs at the higher poundages.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
I shoot 80# and 30" draw and I use the 450 maxima hunters with no problems thus far.
How fast does your arrow go?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:14 AM

325 fps.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 AM

I am shooting a 438 gr arrow at 313 fps giving me 95.3 ft-lbs of kinetic energy, not a whole lot stopping that arrow.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 PM

That's kind of funny, my arrows are also at 438gr.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:56 PM

what bow do you shoot?

We both shoot 30" arrows, both 438 gr, both out of an 80 lb bow but you're getting 325 fps and i'm getting 313 fps

I'm currently shooting the PSE Radial X Weaves and thinking of going to a Carbon Express Maxima

radial is 9.2 and i believe the maxima is 9.7
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM

I shoot a hoyt spider 30 right now, my faktor turbo should be here next week. The maxima hunters have worked very well for me, good tough arrow and they hit like a ton of bricks.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 PM

with the slight difference in gpi I should be able to switch with out any issue on point of impact

Guess I will have to try it out this spring
Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
Hilarious arguement. I shoot 64, because I'm confortable with it. But for someone to say shooting #80 is rediculous, isn't right.
These are sharp sticks, not bullets, nothing like the 243 vs 300 arguement.

The comment about stacking the odds in your favor is 100% true! For some people poundage, thoughts of huge K.E. do this, for others, the deck gets stacked in other ways.

BUT...the odds may not always be stacked as some think they are. I was told a long time ago, by a smart guy a way to determine max draw weight. The same smart guy wouldn't even sell my a RH bow because I was left eye dominant...whole other story!

He told me... sit on a bar stool, fold your legs over one another, now hold them out in front of you, as far as you can and draw your bow. Hold for 30 seconds, release - without moving anything...comfortable, accurate?

I am 6'0", 230lbs, strong and in good shape. Yes I can pull 80 all day long, but holding steady stacks the odds in my favor more so than the poundage or a kinetic energy number. Keeping in mind I'm only 9 years into archery haven't picked up a gun, I honestly still don't consider myself a good archer yet either.

I can barely shoot accurate in the fashion described above at #64, let along #80, after sitting in a tree all day in cold weather. May be bang on standing and shooting a target at #80, but if I jumped in a stand would be a different story.

To shoot 80 with the accuracy I can shoot 64 would involve actual strength training, no doubt.

Now... back to the OP, I'd go with the .300 spined FMJ at 12GPI that L.O.S.T. recommends for sure. I'm a Carbon Express guy (my weak ass at my 64lbs!!!); but to be honest, CE doesn't have an arrow that can hang with the Easton FMJs at the higher poundages.
I was being sarcastic...jeez!

For the record I only shoot 64#'s and agree with every think you said.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Default I shoot 80# too!

I shoot 80# too!! (Bowtech Guardian) Why? I haven't got a clue. If anything, possibly for the same reason a guy would want 500hp in a car - not really needed, but it's cool! I'd be the first to admit that other set-ups would make a whole lot more sense scientifically - no argument from me there! And, I'm a skinny (but solid) little runt - weighing in at a whopping 140lbs soaking wet - I always get a kick out of the huge men who pick up the bow and can't pull it. Sometimes, doing things that don't make 100% technical sense are still fun regardless!

Just my skinny 2 cents.

Last edited by Artist; 02-16-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
325 fps.
WOW - I would love to see that but unfortunately my eyeballs would pop out with the strain. I am one of those big guys Artist gets a kick out of not being able to pull a bow. (But I do have the 500hp substitute).
Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 PM

Yeah it's pretty quick for a hunting setup, the new one will be faster yet. Can't wait.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM

I think if you can draw and comfortably shoot an 80 lb bow...all the power to you,... penertration, flatter arrrow with making judging distance an easier feat...

I had a friend that shot an 100 lb Golden Eagle bow...[50% LO] I asked him ...Why? his response was.."Because I can!!"....K good enough for me...lol

Neil
Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 PM

I shoot an 80lb insanity cpx and im using gold tip velocity hunter 300's with good success. My buddy always says how quiet my bow is and my arrows are 403 grains with a 125gr tip
Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Banned

Hey Wilk0 I suggest tuning your bow down to about 40 lbs as that is smallest legal weight. I can see from your first deer kill that you are clearly a meat hunter and not trophy hunting. The lighter weight will decrease penetration and help conserve meat.
Cheers!

P.S. I shoot 81.5 lbs. I am stronger than you. And I shoot bigger deer.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWoundedHitler View Post
Hey Wilk0 I suggest tuning your bow down to about 40 lbs as that is smallest legal weight. I can see from your first deer kill that you are clearly a meat hunter and not trophy hunting. The lighter weight will decrease penetration and help conserve meat.
Cheers!

P.S. I shoot 81.5 lbs. I am stronger than you. And I shoot bigger deer.
Why would you come to this forum and insult members? Just like cowtown said you won't be around for long
Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Why would you come to this forum and insult members? Just like cowtown said you won't be around for long

Says "Banned" under his site name lol

Neil
Old 08-07-2014, 02:03 AM

I can't understand why people wouldn't shoot at least 80lb (max compound go up to?) I know someone personally who can shoot 180 lb with ease. I know a 14 year old who can pull over 100lb like it was nothing. I'm talking traditional bows with no let off.

I would have thought the majority of hunters would be shooting 70-80lb.