Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2015, 01:47 PM

Default Backpack hunting tent

Any recommendations on good hunting tents for backpacking? It needs to fit a couple people. Would pack in most of the way on horse but also set out on foot for a night or two at a time. I can not convince the wife and kids to carry the wall tent for me.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 PM

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/vertex7_5.html

Don't have to worry about taking off your boots and you can put a stove in it.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Banned

Default Try mec

U need light? Try mec
Old 09-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
U need light? Try mec
mec finance anti hunting associations, don't buy anything there
Old 09-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Banned

Default Uh. What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
mec finance anti hunting associations, don't buy anything there
Never heard of this!? References?
I've long supported them and will reconsider...
Please advise.

Nonetheless. I think op needs to find something 2.5-3lb pack weight and four season functional. Not a hunt camp tent best carried by a mule.
For that, check out the climbing/alpine type product retailers.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:19 PM

My vote would be for a tipi style tent. very lightweight for the size. Ability to use a stove if you want. Kifaru, seek outside, titanium goat are all good brands but a tad spendy. Sierra designs has one that looks pretty good at a good price.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:36 PM

Consider a bivy, lightest ever and many swear by the functionality of it.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 PM
Banned

Forget the tent it is to heavy and a floor is a nuisance in the winter.
A tarp will do the job very well if it is pitched low and flat on top so you have some head room which is not so much with a tipi shape that wastes material in the high peak.
The tipi shape has to be made by cutting and sewing. No cutting with a tarp and you have shelter that is as good in winter or summer because it can be cooled by having four sides propped open each with a stick and never change the corner pegs.
Do not take any kind of shelter in the winter that does not have a chimney so you can cook and eat inside.
A backpacker needs to take a light wood or gas stove with a chimney mainly for used for cooking and should not weigh more than 2 lbs. and can weigh less.
And yes sleep in a bivy summer and winter. I like a bivy with a full net top and pull over waterproof cover.
How is that for some narrow minded opinions

Last edited by chimpac; 09-24-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 PM

Hilleberg makes top quality stuff but expensive. MEC Tarn 2 or 3 is a good quality tent at a good price and they are pretty much bombproof. MSR has some good stuff. Their Hubba Hubba NX is a bit higher priced and a bit lighter than the Tarn line. Lots of other makes and models out their. You do sacrifice durability for weight savings in tents so you need to weigh the pros and cons and how it fits into your hunting style. Do you need a freestanding tent?, three season or four season? Do a little research, lots of info out their. Consider a Siltarp as another part of your shelter plan. A tarp in front of your tent makes days of rain livable if you can at least get out and stand outside while staying dry. I also consider it essential survival gear when mountain hunting. A bit of thin paracord with the tarp and its very easy to set up a dry shelter to wait out bad weather if need be.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Hilleberg makes top quality stuff but expensive. MEC Tarn 2 or 3 is a good quality tent at a good price and they are pretty much bombproof. MSR has some good stuff. Their Hubba Hubba NX is a bit higher priced and a bit lighter than the Tarn line. Lots of other makes and models out their. You do sacrifice durability for weight savings in tents so you need to weigh the pros and cons and how it fits into your hunting style. Do you need a freestanding tent?, three season or four season? Do a little research, lots of info out their. Consider a Siltarp as another part of your shelter plan. A tarp in front of your tent makes days of rain livable if you can at least get out and stand outside while staying dry. I also consider it essential survival gear when mountain hunting. A bit of thin paracord with the tarp and its very easy to set up a dry shelter to wait out bad weather if need be.

another vote for the mec tarn 2, cheap and tough as nails.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:04 AM

My vote is for Hilleberg.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:50 AM

I have an MSR Mutha Hubba for family trips. The wife and I, our 75lb Labrador and all our gear fit in it very well. We've used it at least 40 times and excluding a burn hole, it is in excellent shape still.

I also use a Nemo Espri 2 for solo hunts. It weighs 3.5lbs and it can comfortably sleep 2 people if need be.

Both these tents can be set up by 1 person with zero frustration in about 5 minutes.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Banned

You can sleep in these little tents but are you going to cook outside when it is windy,cold and sometimes dark by the time you come in from hunting
Old 09-25-2015, 09:10 AM

I have a Mountain Hardware 3 season and recently picked up a Bearpawed Wilderness Designs Luna 4 with Stove Jack.

I will now be running the Luna 4 exclusively except if it is really buggy. Very light, no floor to worry about like others have stated, huge interior, can cook out of the front, cuts wind better than a pure tarp setup.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:49 AM

If you don't mind the appropriate price tag for high end gear check out integral designs. I've had their bivy for a number of years and it is like new after well over 500 nights in it.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Banned

A tarp is useless in bad weather if it is not nailed tight to the ground all the way around.
Bugs bugger off when you let a little smoke in the shelter from an inside stove.

Last edited by chimpac; 09-25-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbren View Post
My vote would be for a tipi style tent. very lightweight for the size. Ability to use a stove if you want. Kifaru, seek outside, titanium goat are all good brands but a tad spendy. Sierra designs has one that looks pretty good at a good price.
+1
Old 09-25-2015, 12:29 PM

I'll second the MSR Mutha Hubba NX, so far it's been a great tent and fits 2 large adults with lots of extra room. Also 2 entrances and vestibules is quite nice.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
I'll second the MSR Mutha Hubba NX, so far it's been a great tent and fits 2 large adults with lots of extra room. Also 2 entrances and vestibules is quite nice.

We use this tent and it had been great for two guys. Handles the wind fairly well when all guy lines are used and has never leaked.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 PM

Big Agnes Super Scout UL2

Lots of covered area for gear and cooking and 2lbs. I have another agnes but saving up for this one.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De.../superscoutul2
Old 09-27-2015, 02:12 PM

hubba bubba hase my vote for weight and price.