Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 10:32 AM

Cool Training Birds

Does anyone have a source for training birds in the Lethbridge area. I have a new pup on the way and would like to be ahead of the game so to speak.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:26 PM

Default sent you a PM

Used to be a producer near Magrath but discontinued years ago. Next nearest one to you was near High river but I am sure they are out of birds as they had big bird loss problems this year and bought birds from me to fulfill existing commitments. Don't see any other producers getting into it in this economy as it is a losing proposition. Havent raised our prices in 14 years yet costs like any business continue to climb and sales have dropped off dramatically. We did 3200 pheasants and 1000 chukars in 2002 and pheasant sales have steadily been slow so only raised 400 this year and haven't sold 100 yet in 3 months.
chukar sales have been just OK with no ups or downs in past 5 years.
Expect this may be our last year for pheasants.
Like most dog trainers I expect you will have to build a pen or small coop and keep a half dozen pigeons for training the new pup and supplement that with 20 chukars if and whenever you can find them available. Nice part about chukars is no license is required to train with them any time of the year if you have permission on the land as they are not considered a game bird in Alberta regulations.