Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary

Hello everyone,

Apart from making fun of Oilers, I am heavily involved with the non-profit organization Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary. For those of you who don't know what that is, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary and Area is a donor-supported, volunteer-driven organization founded on mentoring as a proven strategy for ensuring resiliency, future orientation and social support for children and youth.

For almost 40 years, they have been making a positive difference in the lives of young people through a wide range of one-to-one and group mentoring programs, both in school and in the community. They currently serve over 1,700 children and youth, and as many volunteers, in Calgary, Airdrie, Cochrane, High River, Okotoks, and surrounding areas.

This year I am taking part in the Bowl For Kids Event and am raising funds for BBBS. If you are interested in supporting, here is a link to my page: https://bbbscalgary.donorpages.com/B...yF19/SunnyGill

If you have any questions at all, or are interested in putting in your own team, please let me know.

More information can also be found at:

Www.bbbscalgary.ca
Www.bowlforkidscalgary.com

Thanks for your support!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 AM

I was involved with them along time ago. I had a “big brother” around the age of 10-12 until I moved and we lost touch. Changed me as a person. It was great and learned a lot. Doesn’t have to be anything expensive. He would pick me up for little thing too. Like even going to buy lumber from the lumber yard or going for a walk in the bush. Even just to tag along and BS while he ran errands.

I always planned to be a big brother but life got busy and now I struggle to have enough time for my own kids.

Hats off to anyone involved in this. The effect it can have on a kids life can’t be explained.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I was involved with them along time ago. I had a “big brother” around the age of 10-12 until I moved and we lost touch. Changed me as a person. It was great and learned a lot. Doesn’t have to be anything expensive. He would pick me up for little thing too. Like even going to buy lumber from the lumber yard or going for a walk in the bush. Even just to tag along and BS while he ran errands.

I always planned to be a big brother but life got busy and now I struggle to have enough time for my own kids.

Hats off to anyone involved in this. The effect it can have on a kids life can’t be explained.
Thank you for sharing this!