Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Default Un-usable Special License: Mechanism to Transfer to Partner?

Is there a mechanism to transfer to or add a second hunter (similar to a partner license) onto a special license tag if the original special license holder is unable to use the special license?

Here is the situation that brought about this conversation:
My dad was drawn for antlered moose. Two weeks before the trip, he ended up in the hospital with a serious infection (he's good now). It was decided not to temp fate and go out that far from a hospital that soon after being released.
He still has the draw tag to fill, and will not be able to go out to fill it. I could buy a partner tag and fill it, but according to the regulations:

Rules for all Partners – A designated partner does not need any priority to qualify for a partner licence, does not need to have applied on the draw, and the purchase of the partner licence will not affect any existing priority of the partner. The intended partner must be eligible to hold a hunting licence. See below for information regarding licence combinations and restrictions. The primary licensee may designate a partner at any time until the end of the season for which the Special Licence is valid. The designated partner hunts under the authority of the special licence and must be in direct communication (not including the use of any electronic devices) with the primary special licence holder while hunting to ensure that both stop hunting once the tag(s) are filled. The two hunters hunt as one.

Is there any other tool available that would allow me to fill his tag without him present? Any provisions that may not be widely known about to allow this tag to be filled by someone other than him?
Handicapped folks can apply to use a quad in WMU's where their use not allowed, would a similar application system be a good idea?
Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 AM

No

LC
Old 10-24-2018, 10:46 AM

The regulations state quite clearly that licenses are not transferable. It doesn't matter what your reason is.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Default Moose Draw

Need a doctors note stating he is not able to go hunting during the season. They should give him his previous priority back but will not receive priority for this year.
Did the same with my pregnant wife. Doctor advised she should not shoot firearms while pregnant. Priority returned.
We did not purchase the tag previously either. That might be the deciding factor. We did this before her season for cow elk even opened. If your dad has already purchased the tag and the season is open he might be SOL.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
Need a doctors note stating he is not able to go hunting during the season. They should give him his previous priority back but will not receive priority for this year.
Did the same with my pregnant wife. Doctor advised she should not shoot firearms while pregnant. Priority returned.
We did not purchase the tag previously either. That might be the deciding factor. We did this before her season for cow elk even opened. If your dad has already purchased the tag and the season is open he might be SOL.
That may get his priority restored, but it won't allow anyone else to legally fill his tag, unless he is present for the hunt.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
That helps. We will call and see if we can void this years tag maybe and reset his priority. Stuff happens outside of our control sometimes, cross our fingers that they might be able to do something.
There should be a way to transfer the tag maybe to the next season even. This zone is not a high priority, but if this happened to someone with 8,9 even 10 year priority, that is a huge investment in time wasted with zero compensation.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That may get his priority restored, but it won't allow anyone else to legally fill his tag, unless he is present for the hunt.
That's right its the best they can do if there is no way his dad can physically by with him.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
That helps. We will call and see if we can void this years tag maybe and reset his priority. Stuff happens outside of our control sometimes, cross our fingers that they might be able to do something.
There should be a way to transfer the tag maybe to the next season even. This zone is not a high priority, but if this happened to someone with 8,9 even 10 year priority, that is a huge investment in time wasted with zero compensation.
The system will not be changed to allow tags to be transferred from person to person, because it would be abused. It's sad, but it is true. I have had draw tags go unused due to medical issues, and although I wasn't happy about it, I accepted the fact that it was just bad luck in my part, and I couldn't expect the entire system to be changed , because a few people had some bad luck.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Never happen....that’s why it’s a draw

LC
Old 10-24-2018, 12:29 PM

I think you should get a partner tag. Moose meat is medicinal.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp hunter View Post
I think you should get a partner tag. Moose meat is medicinal.
A partner license is useless, unless the tag holder can be present for the hunt, and in this case, the tag holder not being able to be that far from a hospital, is the issue.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A partner license is useless, unless the tag holder can be present for the hunt, and in this case, the tag holder not being able to be that far from a hospital, is the issue.

Yeah i get it.