Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2016, 12:55 PM

Default Targeting large cutthroats

I am curious how others on here actively target larger cutthroat trout? I have personally had limited success on nymphs. I have tried streamers and have not had much luck. i am not looking for a specific place to fish, just what works for you.

Regards
Old 06-16-2016, 01:12 PM

I've caught my biggest cutties in lakes using streamers. I caught this guy in Lower Kananaskis last Saturday using a plain leech pattern.

Swimming back to the deep

Old 06-16-2016, 01:17 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2016, 01:56 PM

I taken my largest cutthroat on a #16 Adams Irresistible and he was a hog 20" probably my 2nd biggest trout. I think when trying to catch big cutties its more about where you are fishing then your tactics. Put in some effort hiking and you will be rewarded with big fish. That being said to catch cutthrout i have found a stone fly a foot above a pheasant tail or a hairs ear under an indicator works great, plus bull trout seem to love a big stone fly. I almost exclusively fish moving water though.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:15 PM

it has more to do with the waters you are fishing. the large cutts are really only abundant in a handful of streams in Alberta (although even the smaller cutt streams will hold the odd large brute but not in the numbers of the better know systems).

once you find this water and find where they are hanging out, then matching the hatch is real important more so then using large lures. they got big for a reason and that is not by hitting everything thrown their way.

was fishing the livingstone a couple of years ago. fish were rising like crazy to something. i tried every hook in my box i could think of until i put my tiniest fly on, a #18 griffith gnat and then i couldn't keep them off. even caught a lot of 18" - 20" on this fly, biggest taped out at 21". i couldn't even see this fly on the water, just lifted everytime i saw a splash near where i thought the fly was. it was the only fly that produced consistently all week.

rgds
Mike
Old 06-16-2016, 03:21 PM

One of my goals is a 25 in cutty. I don't think it will be an easy task though. So far my biggest is only 17ish...
Old 06-16-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
One of my goals is a 25 in cutty. I don't think it will be an easy task though. So far my biggest is only 17ish...
On what is what the OP is asking.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
it has more to do with the waters you are fishing. the large cutts are really only abundant in a handful of streams in Alberta (although even the smaller cutt streams will hold the odd large brute but not in the numbers of the better know systems).

once you find this water and find where they are hanging out, then matching the hatch is real important more so then using large lures. they got big for a reason and that is not by hitting everything thrown their way.

was fishing the livingstone a couple of years ago. fish were rising like crazy to something. i tried every hook in my box i could think of until i put my tiniest fly on, a #18 griffith gnat and then i couldn't keep them off. even caught a lot of 18" - 20" on this fly, biggest taped out at 21". i couldn't even see this fly on the water, just lifted everytime i saw a splash near where i thought the fly was. it was the only fly that produced consistently all week.

rgds
Mike

exactly, my two biggest 19" and 20 & 3/4" both came on a size 20 bwo couldn't see anything but where I thought it might be and wait for a splash. just got to match the hatch
Old 06-16-2016, 05:42 PM

My largest (22") came on a #16 yellow sally pattern. If you fish the right spots and match what they're feeding on, you'll eventually hook into a great fish. That, and time and patience. There's not really a magic formula.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-16-2016, 05:51 PM

Smile Big Cutties

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Think Bull trout.... you would be amazed at the size of the cutts you will catch on the right stream while fishing for Bulls with streamers.....
Old 06-16-2016, 06:05 PM

On the island when lake fishing most common flys I use r black bunny leach, my own minnow patterns and a muddler
In the rivers natural rolled muddlers
Old 06-17-2016, 01:12 AM

I've fished upper and lower K a lot the past few years and Here's my 2 cents.
I've caught hundreds of cuttys and many bull out of there. (sorry no blowing my own horn just speaking honestly) I have bad days here and there but usually catch a good amount.

First off, you will likely not catch a 25 inch cutty. Out of those 2 lakes 16 to 18 is pretty average. You will catch a 20 incher or more here and there but catching one that's 25 would be extremely rare. I have yet to see one that big, not to say its not possible. Your best bet of getting a fish over 25 in there is a rainbow from lower K and they're not quite as easy to find and catch as some people would like you to believe. That said you may be best on the opposite side of the lake of the dam where boulton creek is (check regs though)

As far as fly selection there's a few that work better than others.
Chironomids and leeches under a float is a fool proof method and it may be better some days than others but you will likely catch the most fish with this method. Once in awhile they rise like crazy but it's not that frequent. EArly in the season (May June) Dont be scared to throw on a orange or yellow egg pattern as well. Mysis shrimp can sometimes work too as that's what they feed on during the winter months I believe.

If you're fishing the mountain rivers and streams, adams irresistable works well, PMD, hopper droppers, any small white parachute fly....all seem to work well for me.
I will tell you that cutties absolutely love bright orange and yellow so dont be scared to experiment!

Last edited by Calgaryguy1977; 06-17-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:12 AM

There a plenty of streams on the East slopes with cutts over 20. You will have to do some leg work. 25 are rare but they are there I'm sure. Even in the streams considered smaller.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:24 AM

As I always say....big fur big fish

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
There a plenty of streams on the East slopes with cutts over 20. You will have to do some leg work. 25 are rare but they are there I'm sure. Even in the streams considered smaller.
Ive seen some nice ones in livingston, oldman, and highwood. A lot of streams have em for sure but I haven't seen them that frequently. They do exist though obviously. A 25 east slope would be pretty fricken rare for sure.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:27 AM

21" Cutt out of a small 0.3 flow rate creek on a size 20 adams.
That was tough with my 6x tippet and 3 wt rod...
landed the fish with the hook crooked...
took a picture, still hanging in my basement "Fishin cave""
Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
A 25 east slope would be pretty fricken rare for sure.
Agreed,,,, I would suggest about as common as shooting a 400" elk in the Eastern Slopes,,,, in fact you may have better chance of getting the elk!!!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:08 AM

i caught a 30 inch cutty. i swear. it was a bute. no pic sorry
Old 06-17-2016, 11:41 AM

Caught my personal best at 24 yesterday on a small yellow foam terrestrial. It was almost disappointing as he didn't fight at all, just pulled in like a log. The many 15-18"'s that we caught, sure made up for the fight tho!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM

There are a few jewels that have BIG Cutties but it's treasure hunt and those who know where will not speak !
Old 06-17-2016, 12:51 PM

All my biggest cuts were caught on foam hoppers or Chernobyl ants, but that was August last year.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
On the island when lake fishing most common flys I use r black bunny leach, my own minnow patterns and a muddler
In the rivers natural rolled muddlers
I find the coastal cutthroat and westslopes quite different. Inevitably the larger coastals are fish/fry eaters, so rolled muddlers, leeches, etc. work well, while younger fish I've caught on standard nymphs and dries.

The ones out here seem much less piscivorous, and I've stopped carrying the muddlers in my fly box. I've caught them up to 17-18" out here, mostly on standard dries.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:38 AM

Does anybody think Ernie Brazonni's 9lb Alberta cutthroat record will ever be broken? That was a huge fish. I don't.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Does anybody think Ernie Brazonni's 9lb Alberta cutthroat record will ever be broken? That was a huge fish. I don't.
I think it will be broken one day in the future where they have stocked cutthroat in still water. It could also be broken if moving water that has been closed for a long time is opened again.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yes. I have seen bigger in Job Lake while capturing spawners. They do exist, you just have to catch them.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=McLeod;3257022]There are a few jewels that have BIG Cutties but it's treasure hunt and those who know where will not speak ![/QUO

That's why they are there.....
Old 06-18-2016, 12:26 PM

The biggest are typically the hardest to access as stated. And being cutties they'll target anything. Of course the biggest are almost as well educated as the big browns.
My biggest at 22.5 was on an elk hair, in damned impossible water for drag free drift. Feeding steadily and on about my 10th cast my fly hit the 3inch circle of water for a dragless 2 seconds and he took it.

Anything over 18" in AB and you're doing well for yourself.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=kilgoretrout;3257600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
There are a few jewels that have BIG Cutties but it's treasure hunt and those who know where will not speak ![/QUO

That's why they are there.....
That was my point !
Old 06-18-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe but the BIG ones know are in C and R waters so they are protected.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:25 PM

Default Ernie's a heck of a fisherman

Quote:
Top notch guy as well! Great person to cast a fly with.

I've had the pleasure of seeing his trophy a few times. That's an impressive fishy!

9lbs!

And that fish did NOT come out of big water.

I've caught some +20 inchers... But they are few and far between
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."