Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Default Finding Beaver Lodge Entrance

I am fairly new to trapping and I have a question for some of the more experienced trappers. I know I should have marked the lodge entrance prior freeze-up but I was just granted access to trap beavers from a large slough with a large house on it and was looking for tips on the easiest way to find the entrance. The house is rather large ( 20'x10' ) with a very large feed pile directly off the point of the lodge so where would be the best place to start? Hopefully there are some pointers to help speed the process as chopping and probing the house is gonna take a lot of time. Thanks for the suggestions in advance.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:27 PM

I found the best way was to sit and watch for a while, see where they are going, look for a small open patch in the ice , it may be where they are in and out, and are disturbing the area. trapping made me a much more patient person lol
Old 12-30-2013, 04:00 PM

This thread from another forum should be of help to you: http://www.trapper.ca/cnta/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8762
Old 12-31-2013, 10:44 AM

shovel snow off the ice and sweep until I find bubbles trapped in the ice that will tell you the run to the food pile from the lodge. I personally trap runs near food pile. Wire a green piece of willow or poplar ect to you conibear trigger. Take sure some bark is scraped off to see the green underneath. Set your trap. Bingo.