Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-20-2023, 09:37 AM

Default Best cell game cameras?

Which ones work the best in alberta?
Old 01-20-2023, 09:56 AM

My personal opinion,

Reconeco - probably the best camera. Instant text capability. Good quality cameras. Buy a steel box or put spikes on them as animals love ripping off the antennas. They don't get good service in SW alberta, they need to be up pretty high with perfect cell service. My telus cell phone needs 2+ bars for the cameras to work. They are an Alberta company, unreal customer service and good overall cameras. Does get expensive ($180/year unlimited plans) but you can buy monthly or pay per picture, etc. Lots of options depending on your needs.

Cuddeback - they are a cheaply made camera, but have radio capabilities. So you can connect up to 24 cameras into one cellular plan. so if you want cheaper cell plans with more cameras these work well. especially if you have a variable cell service area. You can put the home camera up high with good cell coverage and have pictures coming from areas with zero cell service.

spypoint - i've never used them, but heard they work pretty good., you can also buy a Link unit that connects to most any non-cell camera that you already have for a fraction of the price. Just plug in the link and it works.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:09 AM

Reconeco with Bell work great.

LC
Old 01-20-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Reconeco with Bell work great.

LC
X2 great cameras, great quality cameras, gets service where my phone doesn’t and local Alberta company
Old 01-20-2023, 02:09 PM

Default Wildgame

I only have experience with 4 wild game cell cameras from Canadian tire. 100 bucks each comes with the SD card and batteries is super cheap and I've had them since October and so far no issues other than when it was minus 40 the batteries quit. Cell plans are pretty standard, not cheap if you wanna run a bunch as its a plan per camera and I haven't had any issues with signal yet in an area that is OK for service west of GP. They wont do video is my only honest complaint for the price.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:18 PM

I've been running four spy points for about 3 years now not really impressed with them going to try something new next year

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2023, 02:56 PM

I have had no issues at all with my Tactacam Reveals. Really happy with them. Tried Spypoints before that and I chose to get rid of them. Haven't tried any others.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:22 PM

I have half dozen Ridgetec cameras.
No complaints, no issues. Have always worked great
Old 01-20-2023, 03:47 PM

I picked up a couple of the Moultrie Delta cameras when they were on sale for 1/2 price ($80-ish). To be honest, they aren't that bad. The mobile app works fine and I can pull the pictures up on my computer as well.

The only issue I had was when I did a lot of picture deletion and configuration changes remotely and then the camera quit. I'm guessing that it went into a race condition and just burned through the batteries. Since then both have been great.

Got my hands on a newer model (the Edge) and it's been good too. One of the things I like about it is that it has integrated storage, so you don't have to worry about SD cards.

They support video, and if you just have them set to take stills, they don't push the HD version of the photos over the air unless you specifically request them. The downside is that it counts against your plan again when you do that.

They all support external battery packs (and solar too) so that's nice.

The plan isn't the cheapest, but they seem great for the price. Am going to keep one going most of the year at a friend's farm to see how it holds up.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 01-20-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:12 PM

Tactacam best I’ve tried
Old 01-20-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I have had no issues at all with my Tactacam Reveals. Really happy with them. Tried Spypoints before that and I chose to get rid of them. Haven't tried any others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Tactacam best I’ve tried
Same here...
Old 01-20-2023, 11:29 PM

Default Reconyx

Reconyx by far but you pay for it. Great app too.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:17 AM

My Tactacam Reveals never quit sending pics even in that extreme cold we had in December. I was actually amazed. I’m super happy with mine.

Craig
Old 01-21-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
My Tactacam Reveals never quit sending pics even in that extreme cold we had in December. I was actually amazed. I’m super happy with mine.

Craig
And the customer service is second to none! Unlike Spypoint that won’t even answer calls.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post

Craig
My spy points all died are you using lithium batteries thanks

Old 01-21-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Tactacam best I’ve tried

X2. Best bang for the buck by a long shot IMO.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2023, 02:45 PM

Ive got tactacams, spypoints, muddy manifests and reconyx cell cams. The pro's and cons ive found are:

Tactacam Reveal

Pro's - Very reliable, good battery life, app interface that connects to your phone for aiming is a nice feature, great customer service, decent at obtaining signal

Con's - Picture send frequency is the least customizable. I typically run twice a day, but the only options are immediate, twice a day or once daily, no free plan for limited pictures

Spypoint Micro-lite LTE

Pro's - Free plan that will send 100 pics/month for no charge, more customizable than tactacams

Con's - Unreliable, poor trigger speed, worst at obtaining cell signal out of the bunch, poor pic quality, poor battery life, terrible customer service

Muddy Manifest

Pro's - Cheapest, more reliable than spypoint, more customizable than tactacam reveal, better pic quality than spypoint, good customer service, great at obtaining signal

Con's - No free plan after the first month, poor battery life, slowest trigger speed

Reconyx Hyperfire HC600

Pro's - By far the best picture quality, by far the fastest trigger speed, best battery life, great at obtaining signal, most reliable, most customizable

Con's - By far the most expensive (could have gotten 4-5 muddy manifests for the price of one of these), no free plan, data plan and SIM from local carrier needed which is a recurring monthly cost or pay as you go, far and away the biggest pain in the azz to set up to function properly, heaviest if your packing it any distance.

Ultimately, depends what a guy is looking for.....if you have a gate or cabin you want to reliably keep an eye on, then reconyx all the way (thats where I have mine lol). If your looking to cover as much of your huntable land as possible, I would actually go with the muddy manifests over all others. The Tactacam is all around a better camera without question, but I have found the manifests often for about $100, wheras the reveals I bought were about $160. To me, there isnt enough pro's from the tactacam to warrant the extra price if your looking for maximum area coverage. If you want 2 or 3 though, then the tactacam would be my choice. I have 5 spypoints and a couple cell links, and wouldnt buy anymore, id steer clear of spypoint.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by 300magman; 01-21-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:53 PM

I am not a fan of SPYPOINT cameras. Their Force series is crap. I have a SPYPOINT Link Micro that has been excellent. It is now on its 4th year now and has never missed a beat 24/7, 365 days a year. I power it with a small 12vt battery. I charge the battery 2 times a year. I am in an area with very poor cellular service but it gets its pictures through without an issue. The small 12 volt still powers it on the coldest temperatures with out any issues. It is used for monitoring a yard for security issues so it is never given any time off.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
I am not a fan of SPYPOINT cameras. I have a SPYPOINT Link Micro that has been excellent. It is now on its 4th year now and has never missed a beat 24/7, 365 days a year. I power it with a small 12vt battery. I charge the battery 2 times a year. I am in an area with very poor cellular service but it gets its pictures through without an issue. The small 12 volt still powers it on the coldest temperatures with out any issues. It is used for monitoring a yard for security issues so it is never given any time off.
"I am not a fan of SPYPOINT cameras. I have a SPYPOINT Link Micro that has been excellent"?????
Old 01-21-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyer View Post
"I am not a fan of SPYPOINT cameras. I have a SPYPOINT Link Micro that has been excellent"?????
I have had several models of their Force series of cameras. They are crap. Every one of them failed within a year. I will not buy another of these. However the link micro I have has been excellent.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
I have had several models of their Force series of cameras. They are crap. Every one of them failed within a year. I will not buy another of these. However the link micro I have has been excellent.
I second the Force camera as being crap ...put batteries in one of them.juat after the warranty period expired and it literally melted in my hands ...the other 2 lasted maybe a year more then done ..however if the cell adapter is good it might be worth a shot. I'm looking for a.couple.cell cams this next snare season and maybe this will be the ticket .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2023, 08:03 PM

I have four Tactacams, two are on solar panels. I have found them to be pretty reliable in the cold.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:26 PM

Stealthcam Reactors for us. Have two of them. They work great! Had two Spypoint Link Micros, absolute garbage! Returned them for a refund.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:40 PM

What kind of monthly payment are the Tactacams?
Old 01-21-2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_eight View Post
I have four Tactacams, two are on solar panels. I have found them to be pretty reliable in the cold.

Which solar panels are you using for your Tactacams? Can’t seem to find the Tactacams solar panel anywhere in Canada.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
My spy points all died are you using lithium batteries thanks

I run lithiums in my tactacams and it makes a huge difference. So nice to only have to swap out every 3 months in the cold, in a very active area taking hundreds of pics per week.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I run lithiums in my tactacams and it makes a huge difference. So nice to only have to swap out every 3 months in the cold, in a very active area taking hundreds of pics per week.
Thanks ,it just chokes me the price of those things.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:30 AM

Default spypoints

Had 3 ridge tec Running for years but the spypoint plan seemed more reasonable

So now its 5 spypoint Micro LTE and 2 Spypoint Micro S

Not too many issues now , Service sucked last year Now its bang on and satisfaction is guaranteed .

100 Bucks a year gives 250 pics a month on all 7 cameras.
Lithium were the cats ass until it became 24 bucks for a pack of 8

Costco use to sell them and now only carry the Duracel Optimum which are a fair price when on sale . Stay away from the Kirkland dollar store batteries !
Micro S were on sale for $169 at Cabellas 2 weeks ago fiar price for a solar system camera .

have a 12 volt battery pack coming for 1 of the non solars , will see how long that works .
Old 01-23-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
Had 3 ridge tec Running for years but the spypoint plan seemed more reasonable

So now its 5 spypoint Micro LTE and 2 Spypoint Micro S

Not too many issues now , Service sucked last year Now its bang on and satisfaction is guaranteed .

100 Bucks a year gives 250 pics a month on all 7 cameras.
Lithium were the cats ass until it became 24 bucks for a pack of 8

Costco use to sell them and now only carry the Duracel Optimum which are a fair price when on sale . Stay away from the Kirkland dollar store batteries !
Micro S were on sale for $169 at Cabellas 2 weeks ago fiar price for a solar system camera .

have a 12 volt battery pack coming for 1 of the non solars , will see how long that works .
I bought a small 12 lead acid Ply battery from Canadian Tire for my SPYPOINT. Took the double AAs out and hooked it up. I think it was about 30 bucks. Works great. Just recharge it twice a year. Never been below 90 percent.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:33 PM

I have a bunch (5) of the Spypoint Link Micros, both LTE and Solar models.

Pros:
- Cost of the camera
- Free Plan

Cons:
- Everything

Super duper unreliable, poor picture quality, bad cell service.

Overall, they are a low end cost effective camera, but I have ZERO faith in them to work when I need them too.