Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Default Redoing an old deck with Composite decking- question about finishing step threshold

When I was in RONA last week I made the mistake of taking the wife with me, who dragged me out of the shingle buying mode I was in into the sale section, where everything was 15% off that day. We had always looked at composite decking, but did not want to start another mortgage being over 50 and debt free.
So- this wasn't too bad, although the salesidiots knew nothing at all about it, I decided to make her happy. 3 pallets of shingles and a pallet of deck board later, out we went.
Then when I got home, I stripped off the 18 year old deck. I used the Shadow Track installation system, so other than looking weathered the untreated unpainted 2x6 decking still looked really good! Using this system there is not a single hole through the floor, it is all attached from underneath.
Then I found out that this composite crap had to be 12" oc where the 2x6 was 24". Back to LLoydminster for another load of wood and another half pallet of decking. Don't trust Rona for estimating size. I knew they were off. A few hours later, or maybe days I don't remember with all the rain I had a very nice 12" on center 12x28 deck ready for the new cover. We even redid all the posts, making sure everything was level and tight, just enough angle for rain to run off. Or so I thought.
No. Not so fast.
This stuff has to be perfectly level. 3/16ths of an inch is enough that the starter clips will not enter the boards. And I found out that if you hit it on edge with a hammer, you will regret it instantly. Flimsy brittle vhzxkfjhksdfhghsd
So now, I have to go under the deck and take down all the hurricane hangers the joists are held up with to level it at the house side. On the other side, the new 2x8" joists are higher, so I used a makita planer and cut a little relief to lower them. What a pain in rear.
Tomorrow weather permitting I will give it another go.
My friend that helped me build the house in 2001 said 'it's ok Ken, we aren't building a piano, close is close enough'.
Tomorrow I level like I was building a piano.

My question- online it talks about sealing the raw edges, and using strips to cover the outside edges. Do you have to do this?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by sns2; 06-25-2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: swearing
Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Banned

Depends how many times you want to re-do things....

The composite decking you’re putting on is designed to last forever, or close to. The recommendations will assure your substraight won’t rot out from underneath your composite planks. The hours you spend doing it could pay off in years of use.

If it was my deck I would seal the substraight and run a metal flashing over the edges.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:10 PM

I like composite decks better when the boards are picture framed. I have done strait decking before and used the end caps. Don’t mind the look but picture framing is way cleaner
Old 06-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I like composite decks better when the boards are picture framed. I have done strait decking before and used the end caps. Don’t mind the look but picture framing is way cleaner
This is how I did mine. I did the picture frame on the perimeter, then ran the boards inside the frame. Saved the edging procedure. I put the picture frame 2 inches over the edge of the deck, then ran a composite board on the face of the deck so I only had a 1 inch overhang. I glued the face board to the deck face and tacked it in with a few coloured screws.

BW
Old 06-25-2019, 10:49 AM

I used Rona now Wolf Creek - Castle Bld in Sylvan for all my "Fiberon" deck materials, they helped with the estimating and supplied/delivered everything, I did the install, no issues with the staff very helpful.

Live in a condo complex had to match to existing P/T posts/rails/boards etc, the deck has stood up to the elements and looks just as good as the day I constructed it.

D.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:02 AM

WOW Zip that is awesome. Very nice! Are your corner posts floating?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
I used Rona now Wolf Creek - Castle Bld in Sylvan for all my "Fiberon" deck materials, they helped with the estimating and supplied/delivered everything, I did the install, no issues with the staff very helpful.

Live in a condo complex had to match to existing P/T posts/rails/boards etc, the deck has stood up to the elements and looks just as good as the day I constructed it.

D.

Wow...looks awesome.. Thanks for the share bud!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 06-25-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

D.

That how I did mine, maybe a little more overhang but not much.

BW
Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 PM

Default Decking

How are you finding the decking to walk on a hot day? I heard they can get quite hot, plus expand and contract due to temperatures.
Nice deck, when is happy hour?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
How are you finding the decking to walk on a hot day? I heard they can get quite hot, plus expand and contract due to temperatures.

Nice deck, when is happy hour?

I have a south facing deck. Can still walk on it barefoot when getting full sun. I left small gaps but have never seen them “touch”. I guess it depends on the manufacturer. I used Trex Transcend.

The dark colour does show the dirt pretty bad. Have to mop it once in a while
Old 06-25-2019, 02:45 PM

Some great pictures there! Someday I will redo my deck, and am considering the same materials.

Now all we need are pictures of Ken's craftsmanship... Along with the obligatory overhead drone shot, of course...
Old 06-25-2019, 03:12 PM

Tks all for the positive feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
WOW Zip that is awesome. Very nice! Are your corner posts floating?

Ken …. I had to match the existing decks otherwise I would of gone with PVC posts/materials. That said, I drilled 2 pilot holes from beneath into the composite & the post and used 6” Galv. Lag Bolts/Screws and compressed air tools to screw them into the bottom of the post, then I used the 2x6 x14” plate to secure them & post in place. I used clear 2x6 cedar vs pressure treated for the top & bottom rails, stronger & cedar absorbs stain vs pressure treated spruce, so didn’t have to worry about pealing or flaking top boards. Since I did all the work myself, clamps were my best helper, even used tie down straps as clamps between the two posts to level the top rails then predrilled, counter sunk and screwed in each rail/post perfectly level.

The deck has no bounce at all it’s sitting on 3 laminated 2”x12”x12’ built 16” oc. Yes with the hot July 32C temps you’re feet’s can get hot, it’s somewhat like walking on asphalt, you walk very quickly, barefoot. Just happy I don’t live in Palm Springs or Phoenix during the summer where it’s 106F today.

A few more pic’s

David

My Gofor Apprentice, each day he quit after about an hour.

Deck with a view – # 18 Sylvan Lake G&CC

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 06-25-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:16 PM

Almost done.

Both the garage and house are shingled, 2 massive trailer loads of shingles have been hauled to the dump, I can now concentrate on the deck. I have about an hour to go, rain has been slowing me down today. Just get going and dumps again. I got lucky, found 97 feet of used white aluminum deck railing in Edmonton, another 12' and we will be golden!

Mine is not fancy like you guys, more form than function.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 PM

K .... lookin good.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 PM

Aaand the deck is done. When we started there was sweat just running off us this morning, now you can see your breath outside. Must be climate change

I just have to finish the edges and top of the stairs, and put up the railing. QED now. That mess to the left of the deck, where building material is sitting temporarily is our 'beach'. 20'x50'x2' deep beachsand, where our firepit is.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:34 PM

Looks good guys but be careful going out there on frosty mornings or after rain then freeze
Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 PM

There is no chance of shovelling off snow for winter bbq'ing too, this stuff marks if you look at it too hard. I am sure not impressed with it so far. Very expensive 'upgrade'. I don't know if I am going to put rubber under the BBQ and table/chair legs or what, it is crazy how easy it mars.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
There is no chance of shovelling off snow for winter bbq'ing too, this stuff marks if you look at it too hard. I am sure not impressed with it so far. Very expensive 'upgrade'. I don't know if I am going to put rubber under the BBQ and table/chair legs or what, it is crazy how easy it mars.
Better off to leave the snow there if not stupid deep, it is nice to have something you don't have to stain (maintain) etc but in our climate I would
not use it, just my opinion. Maybe some brands are not that slippery. Another thing to be careful of is setting up a ladder on it if you have to access roof/ gutters they can take off on you as well.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 PM

Another great point Sage, thank you. I will access the gutters from the other side, come over the top. I prefer using the elevator (forklift) to go up on the roof anyway

Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 PM

House I just bough has a fully skirted composite deck and I love it! Looks
Great, nearly maintenance free, but slippery as hell with any rainfall. Could be a death trap come winter! Love the water tight skirted deck as i have over 400sq ft of storage space underneath.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:52 PM

Actually wet traction on this decking is very good. We were shocked how much there was. Maybe something to do with how easy it marks? I was expecting to slide right off with the wife yelling 'hurry hard, hurry hard!!! But not at all.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:06 PM

How would a guy finish this?
Yeah, I know now that you are supposed to start at the stairs. I didn't at the time.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
How would a guy finish this?

Yeah, I know now that you are supposed to start at the stairs. I didn't at the time.

Well, based on my vast knowledge of your taste in post-modern deco, I took the liberty...

Old 07-03-2019, 05:55 PM

Most lumber yards sell medal stair risers from 3 to 8 step, I bolted on two P/T 2x6's and cap'd them with my composite decking, Rona sold special composite screws that flush mount, worked great. I ripped the front caps on my table saw & miter cut to hide the boards, a bit of work but a nice finish.

If it's just the 3-4" strip, you need to rip a board on a table saw, easy fix.

D.

Home Depot Stair Risers ....

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pyl...ack/1001312356

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 PM

[url=https://postimg.cc/1n2xsMRT][/url]