Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 12:41 PM

When it’s time for a break ,take a break.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

This is for those who choose to PM me with questions and wonder why I am not responding nothing else
Fyi:
You can set it up to get an email when someone pm's you.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Sometimes there is a compulsion to comment. Someone asks "whats the best"....or "thinking of buying a Remington 710" and guys throw their comments out

That's why social media affects people, some to the point of blowing their brains out.

Political stuff gets heated. Highly unlikely arguing on the internet will change anyone's opinions, but some will try like it actually means something.

The debates on politics and religion are endless. Consider them entertainment as NONE OF IT will ever result in change. Never.

And if you post a pic of something, EXPECT someone to criticize it. Post it anyway.

If we all said "awesome" to every idea, picture and opinion on here we might as well wear flip flops, baggy shirts and shuffle along with our hands clasped behind our backs....
I actually like this place to find out what is going on in Alberta. Especially rural Alberta.
Hearing it right from Albertans in their part of Alberta.
Fakebook is so sensored. A picture of a pit filled with snakes came up on my feed and I said for a joke "shoot em" and I got in trouble for it haha.
Global news and CBC have lost most of their credibility. This forum is sort of like a coffee shop with local news and opinions from all over the province. There really isn't anything like it I know of. I have found agricultural forums on internet but they all seem abandoned or not Canadian. Alberta culture sure is changing. I miss live in person auctions, card parties and people visiting in person but everybody gone computer now so i guess its this or Facebook or dare I say people we see on Sunday morning (smile)
Old 04-18-2024, 02:46 PM

Take care, Smoky Buck. Hope you come back as you are a good member. A really good one.

As for the forum. It's not what it once was for sure in terms of post counts on hunting and fishing etc... That could be for myriad reasons.

People leave for any number of reasons.

People also die.

People also find new groups on different platforms that are more interactive, more secure, and easier to post pics on.

The decline of traditional forums has been well documented, and this place has not been immune.

I say enjoy it for what it is. And if you are not enjoying it, take a break.

Nothing is forever.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
It's like a bag of jalapeno chips you can't just have one, you keep going back.
Meh, I can stay away from jalapeno chips anytime I want, ripple and a dip on the other hand........

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-18-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydude View Post
Absolutely they should have their own moderator ...
Sounds like an AHS organization chart - moderator for the moderators, then a moderator for the moderators that moderate the moderators......
Old 04-18-2024, 07:06 PM

The moderators do have a moderator , he’s called the administrator.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:52 PM

I think here or any other forum is what we make it. I never contributed once to an ice fishing thread, the idea of freezing my butt off or falling through just don't work for me. Dad had the nets & a commercial license when we were kids so just no interest now.

Can't wait for open water so post about that some. Happy to whack some grass rats so chime in there a bit. Love the fall hunts, except winter follows fall

Participate where your interests are, politics truly affect our lives. I've just never understood what a member wishes for a response when they say they're leaving.....or, taking a break, or whatever?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-18-2024, 07:55 PM

Smoky, we likely disagree on more than we agree politically, but I think based on whitetails and pike fishing we could have some fun campfire discussion.

However, I see where you’re coming from, more and more this particular general discussion forum seems to be a place not good for the spirits so I can see where you’re coming from.

Also, why can’t posting photos be easier. Lol
Old 04-18-2024, 08:27 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I think here or any other forum is what we make it. I never contributed once to an ice fishing thread, the idea of freezing my butt off or falling through just don't work for me. Dad had the nets & a commercial license when we were kids so just no interest now.

Can't wait for open water so post about that some. Happy to whack some grass rats so chime in there a bit. Love the fall hunts, except winter follows fall

Participate where your interests are, politics truly affect our lives. I've just never understood what a member wishes for a response when they say they're leaving.....or, taking a break, or whatever?
Exactly!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-18-2024, 11:10 PM

This thread reminds me of the the buy and sell when you could still post on it
Old 04-19-2024, 01:53 AM

Maybe he is just letting people know that he is gonna be away for awhile. So that others that converse with him and maybe not at a stage where they talk or text won’t worry or wonder about his absence.

I don’t understand why people can’t understand that. Then they get upset that he says he is stepping away for a bit? He didn’t make any drama, he bid us adieu.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Take care, Smoky Buck. Hope you come back as you are a good member. A really good one.

As for the forum. It's not what it once was for sure in terms of post counts on hunting and fishing etc... That could be for myriad reasons.

People leave for any number of reasons.

People also die.

People also find new groups on different platforms that are more interactive, more secure, and easier to post pics on.

The decline of traditional forums has been well documented, and this place has not been immune.

I say enjoy it for what it is. And if you are not enjoying it, take a break.

Nothing is forever.
CGN doesn't seem to be on the decline, they also have an OT forum where people run wild and that I think is key for people to let their frustrations out as well as some really good discussions are created there because the topics don't fit in anywhere else and many of the largest threads ever on that site were created in OT.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
CGN doesn't seem to be on the decline, they also have an OT forum where people run wild and that I think is key for people to let their frustrations out as well as some really good discussions are created there because the topics don't fit in anywhere else and many of the largest threads ever on that site were created in OT.
I asked for that many times when I was a moderator. Each time it was rebuffed and I was told a members only sub forum will never happen. So it is what it is.

This forum is an afterthought for a business. Why do you think it is on a platform from 2007 or so?

CGN is an exception, and strikes me as an enterprise their owner runs to maximize profits based on advertisers and industry involvement.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:33 AM

I'm not a hunter or fisherman but I like this General Thread because this is about Albertans and in Alberta, rules and regulations are different in Ontario or where ever.

If I see a post that doesn't interest me I skip over it its not that hard.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
When it’s time for a break ,take a break.
^^^ My exact thoughts. ^^^

If I don't like what is on TV, I change the channel....As I have aged, I find I reach "full" a lot sooner now, than I ever did.

Everyone has a line of demarcation with patience; some lines are closer to some, than others.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 04-19-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Maybe he is just letting people know that he is gonna be away for awhile. So that others that converse with him and maybe not at a stage where they talk or text won’t worry or wonder about his absence.

I don’t understand why people can’t understand that. Then they get upset that he says he is stepping away for a bit? He didn’t make any drama, he bid us adieu.
Agreed. Good post.