Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 01:11 PM

And then decided to have a home Smoked Andouille and Gouda Sammich on a Pheasant Egg Bun for Breakfast

Old 05-29-2017, 08:20 PM

Default Elk Cutlets

love hunting and beef - for me wild meat needs a lot of effort...

put small thin elk steaks thu a cutlet machine - season to your liking - coat with egg and your choice of breading - pan fry - once cooked - place in casserole dish and layer with tomato sauce and cooked ham - bake in oven for a while and the breading soaks up the tomato sauce and ham flavour - reminded me of veal cutlets
Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM

Chickens. Moose. Elk. Whitetail. 1" cubes. Season to taste. Fry up for appies while your steaks are bbqing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Hungarian Pheasant Egg Forgacs Fank

Deep Fat Fried Cookies

30 Pheasant Yolks
2 tsp Vanilla
1oz Strohs 80
6oz Ginger Ale
Pinch Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
5-6 cups AP Flour

Combine wet and dry ingredients separately and add 1/3 of the dry to all of the wet to make a slack batter. Beat well and add the rest of the dry to make a soft dough.
Let rest in fridge 2 hours.

Cut dough into quarters and roll each quarter to a 1/8" thickness and cut into strips with pizza cutter or knife

Cut across into rectangles and cut a partial slit down the center of each rectangle
[IMG]
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg568/percebes/P6110022_zpsedwva1bp.jpg[/IMG]

Flip slits to the outside to make the angel wings

Last edited by omega50; 06-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:15 PM

Fry in 350F Lard til brown and flip-total time about 3 minutes
Sprinkle with Vanilla Icing Sugar

Made 3 trays
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 PM

Default WILD GAME RECIPES. Post them. RECIPES ONLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk09 View Post
love hunting and beef - for me wild meat needs a lot of effort...

Sounds like you need some help.... Wild meat shouldn't need all that effort....and godam sure not tomatoe sauce! Haha! Yikes! .... and If your gonna use a frying pan on meat, you might as well use a grinder first to make hamburger and you'll enjoy it more. Then throw the frying pan away and use the BBQ anyways.

Try this instead good sir: (if you take your meat to a butcher, ask for the strip loin in 2 or 3 equal parts, not cut into tiny steaks) and tell him: "EVERY LAST PIECE OF THE ****ING FAT AND SINUE GOES TO THE MANGEY COYOTES!!!"

----Deer/elk/moose steak to die for----
1 Whole strip loin cut into YOUR family sized lengths (8-10" long should be close to 8-10 steaks)
-Season the meat with garlic, pepper, steak spice OR some salt, maybe some onion powder.... whatever flavors you like... and throw it in the fridge over night. When you go to cook it, throw the whole damn block of meat on the hot, pre heated BBQ on medium heat (250-300) Keep Turing it till all 4 sides look evenly charred... but make sure to take the temp once in a while until it reaches 145-150 (rare to medium rare) 155 at the most for medium. Then let it rest a while and THEN cut it into nice little 1" slices of heaven! let me know how it works.... please... no more deer steak flavored tomatoe sauce haha! Unless it's ground up and shoved in spaghetti.
Matt

Last edited by allaboutmathews; 06-11-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Default Pork-less venison sausages....experiment

Anyone else try pork-less venison sausages?
I made up a batch and they taste great.

Here's mine:
https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com/pictures/
Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Banned

Here is a link to "Simply Canning" they have excellent canning techniques and recipes. They had this up on FB today. How to can Elk and Venison. Perhaps this recipe could help some of you out.

https://www.simplycanning.com/veniso...ampaign=buffer
Old 03-27-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Sausag

I enjoy the recipe “king of venison sausage”. Google it. Not sure the exact website.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:24 AM

Default WILD GAME RECIPES. Post them. RECIPES ONLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf84 View Post
I enjoy the recipe “king of venison sausage”. Google it. Not sure the exact website.

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/smoke-sausage.html
Top right menu and then look for venison recipes.
And there is also a bunch of other great recipes on there! And tips on how not to f*%# up your sausage!

Last edited by allaboutmathews; 03-28-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:11 PM

This is one of the better recipes I have tried for wild game. Made last night with ground elk and its hard to beat.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1941...nd+garlic+pies
Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 PM

deer backstrap, salt and pepper, hot pan, little butter.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:39 AM

Default Slow cooker Roast

Tender Slow Cooker Moose Roast
Moose/Elk roast
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 soup can of water
Worchestershire sauce
Your favourite seasonings

Season roast with Lawry’s salt, pepper, garlic salt, Mrs. Dash, dry mustard, whatever you guys like for seasoning.
I then give the roast a quick sear on all sides and put it in slow cooker, with a couple pieces of carrot, onion & celery.
Mix the can of soup, onion soup mix, water a few squirts of Worchestershire sauce together, and pour into frying pan to deglaze the pan, bring to a simmer and pour it over the roast.
Set slow cooker to low 8 hours or high 4 hours. When roast is cooked, I usually sieve some of the liquid out of the slow cooker into a small pot and thicken it a bit with cornstarch.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 AM

Default Goose Swiss Steak

Swiss Steak

Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 pounds cubed steak or goose breast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons ground paprika
2 teaspoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Directions
Mix flour, salt, mustard, and pepper together in a wide, shallow bowl.
Dredge cube steaks in the flour mixture to coat completely.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry steaks until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a slow cooker, reserving drippings in the skillet.
Saute onion and garlic in the reserved drippings in the skillet until softened, 2 to 3 minutes more; add to the slow cooker. Discard the oil.
Stir beef broth and tomato paste together in a bowl until the paste dissolves into the broth; add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, thyme, and oregano. Pour the broth mixture over the steaks in the slow cooker.
Cook on Low until the meat is tender to the point of falling apart, 6 to 8 hours
Old 09-22-2018, 03:28 PM

Default Bighorn Sheep Recipes

I shared these with a friend today and thought I might as well post them here since I typed them out. Enjoy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>>Cardiff Mountain Bighorn Sheep Stew<<<<
4 cups cubed sheep meat
2 cups pork shoulder cubed
4 cups beef stock
2 cups carrots chopped
2 cups onion chopped
1 cup Celery chopped
2 tablespoons bouquet garni( spice bag)
4 cloves garlic smashed
2 cups potatoes peeled and cubed
2 cups leeks sliced
1/4 cup of oil
11/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

-Trim the meat of fat and place in a large dutch oven/. Cover the meat with the stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from th eheat and allow to cool, then skim off any fat.

-Add the remaining vegetables, except the potatoes, leeks and parsley and simmer for an additional hour. After half hour of simmering add the potatoes and bouquett garni. After 30 minutes simmering add the leeks and parsley. simmer for 15 to 20 minutes more.

-Enjoy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>>>>Moussaka with Bighorn Sheep meat<<<<<

Meat Sauce Ingredients :

1 Onion
6 Cloves garlic (There’s no such thing as too much Garlic )
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 pounds ground sheep Meat
1 cup tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Vegetables:

1 zucchini (about 8 inches long)
2 large Russet Potatoes
1 medium Eggplant
2 tablespoons olive oil

White Sauce Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 Cup flour
4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
6 Tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 eggs slightly beaten
Directions :

In a skillet fry onions in oil until soft, add moose meat and continue to cook until brown; add remaining meat sauce ingredients. Simmer.

Prepare vegetables by slicing into 1/4 inch thick pieces. In a separate pan fry vegetables in oil until tender, remove from pan and drain on paper towel.

To make the white sauce complete the following: In a pan melt butter, add flour and while stirring slowly add milk. Add nutmeg, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Stir until thick and bubbly. Add egg, cook one minute more.

In a baking dish layer meat sauce at bottom, next layer vegetables top with cream sauce. Bake in a preheated oven set to 350 degrees for one hour.

Serve with Greek Salad, Pita Bread, and Tzatziki.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>>>Comanche Bighorn Sheep Rib Roast<<<<<

2 to 3 lb rib roast
4 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup cracked black pepper
1/4 cup madeira wine

-Peel and split the garlic cloves into 3 spears. insert the garlic spears into the sides of the
roast, to a depth of one inch.

-Lightly salt the roast and then heavily pepper all sides, packing the pepper firmly and coating all the meat.

-Preheat the oven to 500F. Place the roast on a rack in a small roasting pan and add the wine to the pan. Put in the oven for 5 minutes uncovered. Baste the rack with the wine in the pan and turn the rack, baste again and leave in the oven for another 5 minutes uncovered.

-Reduce oven heat to 350 and continue baking until done. Meat thermometer should read 135 to 140 degree for a medium roast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>>>>Braised Bighorn Sheep<<<<<<<

8 loin steaks 3/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
flour for dusting
2 tablespoons ground sage
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups roughly cut tomatoes with their juice
1 clove of garlic
2 cups dry sherry
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon dark balsamic vinegar

-In a large pan over medium high heat melt the first butter and oil. Dust th eloins in flour and sage, then sear them in the butter/oil for a minute each side or until slightly browned.

-Lower the heat, add the salt and pepper, tomatoes and juice and stir. Carefully pour the sherry to cover the steaks and simmer partially covered for 1 hour. The meat is done when it is tender or an internal temp of 155. Monitor the liquid levels and add just a little water if the braise dries out.

-Remove the steaks when done. Puree the tomatoes in the pan with a fork . Thicken the sauce 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter, a little more salt and pepper and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Pour sauce over steaks and enjoy.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 PM

Default Duck Poppers

Ingredients
Cajun cream cheese:
1/2 pound cream cheese (recommended: Philadelphia)
2 tablespoons Cajun spices (2 teaspoons paprika, 2 teaspoons cayenne, 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
Zesty Italian dressing:
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasonings
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2 skinless liberty duck breasts
6 fresh jalapeno pepper slices
6 white onions slices
2 slices thinly sliced bacon, cut into thirds

Directions

Watch how to make this recipe.

Mix all the ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed.

Italian zesty dressing: Whisk all the ingredients in a medium bowl until blended.

For the duck poppers: Slice each duck breast, horizontally, into 3 slices. Cover the slices with plastic wrap and lightly pound until thin. Put 1 jalapeno pepper slice, 1 onion slice and 1 tablespoon Cajun cream cheese on 1 end of each slice. Roll up and wrap in a piece of the bacon. Secure the roll with a toothpick to hold the bacon in place. Add them to the zesty Italian dressing and marinate for 2 hours.

Preheat a grill pan or grill over medium heat. Add the duck poppers and cook just until bacon is done!

Remove them from the grill, transfer to a serving platter and serve.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Recipe

My ideal recipe is simple.

2 deer steaks
1 can of your fav beer
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 dash of red Rooster sauce
salt and pepper to season

3 medium peeled and cubed potatoes season with garlic powder and basil toss in olive oil and seal in foil pouch

Season steaks and place in container with lid to soak in beer for 12 hours.

Grill on a hot BBQ and cook to medium rare. Service with BBQ potatoes.

Dinner of champions!!!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:09 AM

I was given this jerky marinade by AO member FlyTheory that I used for geese and ducks this fall that was really good! I plan on using it for my first deer I harvested last weekend as well.

150g of fresh ginger
2.5 cup brown sugar
1/4 salt
1 cup soya sauce
6-8 large cloves of garlic
1-2 tbsp (depending how spicy you like) of dry cayenne pepper or chilli powder
1 tsp of black pepper
Instructions:
Grate ginger finely into a bowl and make sure juice goes with it. Then in that same bowl mix in the soya sauce. Press garlic into same bowl and mix.
In a separate bowl mix the salt, pepper, cayenne and brown sugar. Mix both bowls into one big bowl.
Put all meat (Rinse and dry before marinating) into the bowl and let it sit for 1-2 days. Then smoke or dehydrate.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 PM

Default apple pie moonshine

I know this isn't a wild game recipe but i'm sure it would go good with a wild game supper. I don't drink but this recipe sounds good. With the long winter nights on us if a person makes one "batch" it should last till next year. I'm going to make a quarter of the recipe... for medicinal purposes only.

This is from All Recipes website.

1 gallon (4 liters) Apple juice.
1 gallon Apple cider
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 cinnamon sticks ( or more to taste)
a pinch of Apple Pie Spice
1 750 ml bottle of 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol
1 750 ml bottle of vodka

Combine apple juice, apple cider, white sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks in a large pot; bring to almost a boil. Cover pot with a lid, reduce heat, and simmer for about 1 hour. Remove pot from heat and cool completely.

Stir grain alcohol and vodka into syrup and remove cinnamon sticks. Pour apple pie moonshine into clean glass jars or bottles. Store in the refrigerator.

Be responsible. Sounds potent.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 PM

Default Ginger Fried Elk (or whatever you like)

This is for the ginger fried beef fan. Better than any Chineses restaurant.

3/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
1pound venison steak cut into thin strips
1/2 cup canola oil, or as needed
1 large carrot, cut into matchstick-size pieces
1 green bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
3 green onions chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger root
5 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1tablespoon red pepper flakes.

Place cornstarch in a large bowl; gradually whisk in water until smooth. Whisk eggs into cornstarch mixture; toss steak strips in mixture to coat.

Pour canola oil into wok 1-inch deep; heat oil over high heat until hot but not smoking. Place 1/4 of the beef strips into hot oil; separate strips with a fork.

Cook, stirring frequently, until coating is crisp and golden. Remove beef to drain on paper towels; repeat with remaining beef.

Drain off all but 1 tablespoon oil or so; cook and stir carrot, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, green onions, ginger, and garlic over high heat until lightly browned but still crisp, about 3 minutes.

Whisk sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper together in a small bowl. Pour sauce mixture over vegetables in wok; bring mixture to a boil. Stir beef back into vegetable mixture; cook and stir just until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add some sesame oil if a thicker sauce is desired.

Serve with rice or noodles.

After making this I realized that restaurants must use a pretty poor cut of meat when preparing ginger beef. I used elk sirloin and turned out extremely tender. It put my wife off a bit having a different texture. Will not slice across the grain and go smaller in the cutting next time to get it closer to restaurant authenticity.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Sweet and spicy grilled salmon

2 Tbsp hot sauce, such as Frank's

1 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar

1 tsp smoked paprika

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

2 Tbsp light mayonnaise

1 Tbsp snipped chives

8 stalks celery, very thinly sliced in half moons on an angle

½ small red onion, very thinly sliced

4 (5-oz) center-cut ski-non salmon fillets, about 1 inch thick

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Vegetable oil, for oiling the grill

1. Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan on medium high.

2. Mix together the hot sauce, brown sugar, paprika and cayenne in a small bowl. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the mixture to a large bowl and whisk in the mayonnaise; set aside the rest of the sauce. Add the chives, celery and onions to the bowl with the mayonnaise and toss well.

3. Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper. Brush the grill grate lightly with oil. Lay the salmon on the grill, skin-side up, and cook until distinct grill marks appear and the salmon releases easily from the grate, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and brush the fish with some of the reserved sauce. Continue to cook the fish, brushing the pieces periodically with the sauce, until the salmon fillets are glazed and just cooked through, 13 to 15 minutes more.

4. Transfer the fillets to individual plates and serve with the celery slaw.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Quick and easy breakfast sausage patties - good for breakfast sandwiches

1.5lbs ground meat
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Mix up the day before and let sit in the fridge overnight.
Make desired patty size and fry up or bbq next day.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Default Sugar meat

1 lb wild meat-moose,elk,deer cut up in stir fry pieces
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup golden sugar
1 small onion diced
1 can sliced mushroom drained(optional)

Put butter into a frying pan on low medium heat.
Add meat, onion and mushrooms.
Simmer and stir until meat is almost browned but still showing pink.
Add sugar and continue to simmer and stir occasionally.
Remove from heat when mixture begins to darken.

Makes its own sauce.
Great with rice or potatoes

Do not add salt or pepper to the recipe. Changes the flavour.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:58 PM

Last edited by Jerry D; 09-19-2019 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 11-03-2019, 02:27 PM

Probably some ducks, geese and grouse to be ate...Great recipe for drumsticks and thighs. Takes some time though. 6 days prep time.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:57 PM

Caseless Salami Sausage

5 lbs. ground meat ( I like 3 lbs. venison to 2 lbs. regular ground beef. If using only venison add 3/4 to 1 lb. of ground beef fat to 5 lbs venison)

5 heaping teaspoons of Morton's Tender Quick. (Safeway or grocery stores usually carries Mortons)
4 teaspoons mustard seeds ( the whole seeds, not ground)
4 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
4 Teaspoons Garlic salt
5 teaspoons liquid smoke. (I add an extra 1/2 teaspoon sometimes)

Mix everything together in a large bowl with your hands, mixing very well. Put meat mixture into food quality plastic bags and refrigerate for 3 days. Knead the meat everyday for a few minutes. On the fourth day form the mixture into 5 rolls that are 3 inches in diameter and 10 to 12 inches long.

Bake in an oven on a broiler pan or racks for 7 or 8 hours at 150 to 200 degrees. Turn every hour. Let cool completely and enjoy. Refrigerate or freeze.

The sausage makes it's own rind so no need for casing.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Great recipe collection. Some are quite interesting. Im taking down notes so I could try some of the recipe this month.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:29 PM

57 grains of H4350 topped with the Nosler 168 grain combined technologies ballistic tip..
Old 08-11-2020, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
57 grains of H4350 topped with the Nosler 168 grain combined technologies ballistic tip..
That's quite the recipe.. I'll pass
Old 08-15-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
That's quite the recipe.. I'll pass
Lol