Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Ok, I googled it and the first thing that poped up said 52 hours. So I was out by 2 hours soooorrrryyy!
NO, you were out by 40 hours.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Its hilarious that you think keeping to the facts is somehow indicative of fear. If we look at all the facts and consider ALL the costs and remove all subsidies and electrics are better then sobeit. If they are so great people are going to buy them and go about their days as they always do. If however electrics are shoved under peoples noses and federally mandated under the guise that they are better and more economical when the "better" is only on paper after certain costs are ignored. That is where I have a problem. When Elon is talking about fix electricity costs for semi's and Depending on platooning to reach some number I really start to wonder. No fear just some real skepticism. If you want to accept everything blindly go ahead though.
I guess that depends on your definition of better. A certain percentage of the world has decided that carbon pollution is destroying our atmosphere. What are the true costs associated with that ??? Many people would never make a change until it comes out of their wallet, no matter what happens to their children or grandchildren. If it wasn't for that fact then it would be much cheaper to continue on the way we've been.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I guess that depends on your definition of better. A certain percentage of the world has [B]erroneously[B]decided that carbon pollution is destroying our atmosphere.
Fixed it for you.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Do you have any clue what output a solar roof that size would contribute to the needs of a semi when you say its a no brainer? I suspect about 1% on a good day. Money well spent? But hey its something LOL
A quick scratch calculation puts the roof top assembly at around 9000 watts.
Probably not much compared to what it'll use but I guess it'll be a constant trickle in 10 hours a day.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Fixed it for you.
Good thing you are smarter than these guys, hopefully you can educate them a bit

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-scient...ronmental.html
Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Still not seeing it. Went to the Tesla forum and looked. They like to talk in miles per hour charge. So 3 to 4 miles for one hour of charging on standard 110 v plug in. So if you charge at a rate of 3 miles per hour and can go 200 miles it would take 66 hours to charge.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
What? The math of electricity is pretty easy. If you plug in to a standard 110 V outlet and draw a continuous 15 A of current it will take 51.5 hours to fully charge an 85 Kwh capacity battery - if the charger was 100% efficient, which they aren't.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:48 PM

This link gives a pretty accurate description of true charging times for Tesla's largest 100d battery pack. (Hint not 14 hours from empty charge to fully charged using typical 120V 15A service.)

https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/...-autonomously/

Last edited by HVA7mm; 11-21-2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: ....
Old 11-22-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Still not seeing it. Went to the Tesla forum and looked. They like to talk in miles per hour charge. So 3 to 4 miles for one hour of charging on standard 110 v plug in. So if you charge at a rate of 3 miles per hour and can go 200 miles it would take 66 hours to charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
What? The math of electricity is pretty easy. If you plug in to a standard 110 V outlet and draw a continuous 15 A of current it will take 51.5 hours to fully charge an 85 Kwh capacity battery - if the charger was 100% efficient, which they aren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
This link gives a pretty accurate description of true charging times for Tesla's largest 100d battery pack. (Hint not 14 hours from empty charge to fully charged using typical 120V 15A service.)

Isn't it obvious guys??? Elon Musk is so scared of the future he won't accept it. He has published erroneous numbers to sway public opinion. He's just trying to save big oil obviously. He's a classic Luddite.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-22-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
A quick scratch calculation puts the roof top assembly at around 9000 watts.
Probably not much compared to what it'll use but I guess it'll be a constant trickle in 10 hours a day.
9000watts is about 600 square feet. Even with a 53' enclosed trailer with its roof covered I would estimate 6750 watts. Take that trailer away and it's about 900 - 1200 watts. Depending on a cab configuration. What about a cement truck, low boy, deck truck, many trucks that can't use a roof as solar? They would have maybe a 900 watt roof.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I guess that depends on your definition of better. A certain percentage of the world has decided that carbon pollution is destroying our atmosphere. What are the true costs associated with that ??? Many people would never make a change until it comes out of their wallet, no matter what happens to their children or grandchildren. If it wasn't for that fact then it would be much cheaper to continue on the way we've been.
Nobody knows the true cost of mans contribution to climate change. I haven't a seen a detailed explanation as to what factors that cause the climate to constantly change long before man was around. And any good scientist would know without that control information you simply can't make a statement that we are scientifically certain man is 100% to blame this time around. But there is certainly an attempt to pin all recent natural disasters on climate change and just about every other negative event out there as well. City park trees die...climate change. Lake level drops (like is has in many other years)...climate change. Is there some bias....naaaa can't be. How many studies have be done investigating possible economic benefits of any warming? One would think a good unbias scientist would spend as much time considering that aspect of the equation. But are they?

That said we are going to have to move away from fossil fuels anyways so definitely now is the time to start. I am not anti-electric. But it should be done in a measured way. I don't subscribe to the earth is going to be doomed unless we spend stupid amounts of money on schemes that don't add up. The world is not going to end tomorrow. Personally I'm more worried about +7 billion people and growing. CO2 may be the least of our problems.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:

That's a good article, and covers the issue well. I have learned something.

The last paragraph is interesting:

"Charging at home is cheaper than buying gas in all 50 states –even when gas prices are low. And EV maintenance is ⅓ lower than that of a comparable gas car. The deal will just keep getting better and better for EV drivers as the technology becomes more widely adopted. "
Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
That's a good article, and covers the issue well. I have learned something.

The last paragraph is interesting:

"Charging at home is cheaper than buying gas in all 50 states –even when gas prices are low. And EV maintenance is ⅓ lower than that of a comparable gas car. The deal will just keep getting better and better for EV drivers as the technology becomes more widely adopted. "
I agree with the last paragraph as well in regards to maintenance, and pricing (for now). With increased demand the price will rise, but when the time comes that an EV is made that suits my needs/budget, I will be all over it. By that time however my EV may end up being a mobility scooter.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I agree with the last paragraph as well in regards to maintenance, and pricing (for now). With increased demand the price will rise, but when the time comes that an EV is made that suits my needs/budget, I will be all over it. By that time however my EV may end up being a mobility scooter.
How about something like this to hold you until you need that mobility scooter??
http://www.motortrend.com/news/workh...-drive-review/
http://workhorse.com/pickup/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYzb_5-Yt9s

Last edited by Scott h; 11-22-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
How about something like this to hold you until you need that mobility scooter??
http://workhorse.com/pickup/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYzb_5-Yt9s

I think that I'll be waiting for the platform to be proven, that coupled with the 80 mile range on electric only and the $52K US starting price. I'd still prefer a mid sized truck with a turbo diesel available in other domestic markets such as Australia, Thailand etc.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Id be interested in something like this that is 100% electric.

Plug it in the garage and its always full. Need to go get groceries, no problem. Need a tool at crappy tire? Be my pleasure.

More visual than a bike, but not as cumbersome to take the truck on errands.