Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
As soon as the new vaccine is out, I will be going to see the doctor for a shot.
My Wife and I have discussed getting the vaccine and I'm leaning towards getting it. A question about this new vaccine that is due to come out. Is it already available in other countries and is it proven safe? I don't like the sounds of "NEW". It sounds too much like experimental and I'd prefer getting something that is time tested and proven safe and effective.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

Post # 4 in this thread has three links,the first one could give you the information ?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

My Wife and I have discussed getting the vaccine and I'm leaning towards getting it. A question about this new vaccine that is due to come out. Is it already available in other countries and is it proven safe? I don't like the sounds of "NEW". It sounds too much like experimental and I'd prefer getting something that is time tested and proven safe and effective.

The new 'Shingrix' Shingles Vaccine has already been tested and approved in the UK and the US. And most European countries are expected to follow suite before the end of this year ... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1CS0TU

See post #4 for more details. And, as always, have a chat with your doctor about any new medications.

Selkirk
Old 11-20-2017, 02:11 PM

I had it when I was 40, it sucked. If you can avoid it by getting the vaccine I highly recommend it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

So, for those that are looking at getting the vaccine, have you had chickenpox or were you simply vaccinated for it? If you were vaccinated against the pox, and have never had it - then the chances of getting shingles are minute.

I haven't had a vaccine in 36 years, not planning on starting now.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Default shingles vaccine

got it about a half a dozen years ago
after seeing my next door neighbor suffer with shingles and then a guy at work got it....it didn't take me long to decide to get the vaccine.
$200 and a couple of minutes time, not a guarentee but it cuts the chances

the way I look at it, I'm sure my neighbor would have gladly paid $200 to get rid of his shingles, poor bugger suffered for months, sucked the life out of him
Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 PM

Got it two years ago. Had a bit of an allergic reaction but other than that fine.
Was told I was good for 10 years by my MD and the person who inoculated me.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 PM

On another note, Twinrix, which was supposed to be a one-off for life against Hep A and Hep B turned out needing a booster after 5 years. Not trying to derail this thread, but seems a good thread for vaccines in general.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Another shingles sufferer here. Get the vaccine. There are a bunch of us older guys who think they never had the chicken pox. There is a slight chance they are right, but a good chance they got it but not severely enough to be a big deal. Good luck to them.

I will be getting the shot. I was lucky and put on anti virals very quickly. I'm told if it gets to your eyes it is very bad...
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Another shingles sufferer here. Get the vaccine. There are a bunch of us older guys who think they never had the chicken pox. There is a slight chance they are right, but a good chance they got it but not severely enough to be a big deal. Good luck to them.

I will be getting the shot. I was lucky and put on anti virals very quickly. I'm told if it gets to your eyes it is very bad...
If it gets to your eyes, there's a chance you could spend the rest of your life in darkness.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:34 PM

The Mrs & I decided to wait until 2018 to get the new "Shingrix Brand" vaccine, which my Doc suggested should be more effective than previous vaccines approved by Health Canada.

This product requires 2 shots at least 3-6 months apart, double the dose. Got my first one when we returned from SoCal in early April and my second yesterday (July 27). The cost if you don't have any 3rd party insurance is about $220.00 plus the injection fee. We have Sunlife, I paid $30.50/ea dose plus $20.00/ea injection fee to the Pharmacist.

Link to Website ... https://www.shingrix.ca/en-ca/index....SAAEgI5CPD_BwE

The Mrs volunteers at Sylvan's Bethany seniors care facility and has seen first hand how residents suffer, we hope never to get Shingles and especially when we spend 3-4 months in California each winter.

Pic from the Website, looks painful as hell!

D.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:54 PM

I got the first of two shots with Shingrix and had a pretty significant reaction. If it was not the shot then it was coincidental, but fever of 101 for a week and a month later seems I have a heart arrythmia (which can be brought on by a significant illness). Wife got the same shot and only had a bit of a sore arm for a few days though. Luck of the draw, I suppose. Not sure I will be getting shot #2 though!
Old 07-28-2018, 02:04 PM

My wife and I had the Merrick Vaccination in 2016. In 2018 She got a severe case of shingles. Turns out the Merrick vaccination was 40% effective. She is just now recovering from this horrible disease.
In January of 2018 I received the first of 2 vaccinations from my Pharmacist, Glaxo product. I would gladly trade all my rifles and a new Truck for this needle to prevent my Wife from getting Shingles.
The Glaxo vaccine is said to be 90% effective.
My wife can get the new vaccination in January of 2019.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:53 PM

Default Shingles vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat brennan View Post
I got the first of two shots with Shingrix and had a pretty significant reaction. If it was not the shot then it was coincidental, but fever of 101 for a week and a month later seems I have a heart arrythmia (which can be brought on by a significant illness). Wife got the same shot and only had a bit of a sore arm for a few days though. Luck of the draw, I suppose. Not sure I will be getting shot #2 though!
My wife and I just finished our second shot this week. We had a fairly sore arm the first time, not so bad for second shot. I had shingles years ago before there was vaccine---sure not fun but could have been far worse---it got very near one eye--- very scarey.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:49 PM

Get the shot! Had a case of shingles August last year in the bridge of my nose and am still visiting an eye doc for the left eye.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:03 PM

yup had shingles when i was around 14.
did not seem like a big deal to me, just a little itchy just above my right hip that wrapped half way around to my back and to the front . Was told, if it went right around I would have to be hospitalized .
Old 07-29-2018, 12:40 PM

Looks like others here have experienced first hand how terrible shingles can be.

As for the injection, I had some minor discomfort in my arm from the first shot, the pharmacist suggested she would slowly inject the vaccine vs a quick shot then recommended I hang around for 10-15 minutes to see if there was a reaction and while I was waiting to do repetitive arm curls to flex the shoulder/bicep muscle, continued doing that for most of the day & that seemed to work. For my second injection the pharmacist did the same but this time injected me a bit higher in the shoulder about 1" higher than first time and suggested I do a few arm curls and try doing a few arm rowing rep's and his trick worked even better, I had very little to no soreness.

I would strongly recommend anyone considering getting the shot go have a discussion with your Doc.

Cheers

David

Old 07-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

I think you have to be 55 or older to get the vaccine
Old 07-29-2018, 01:00 PM

Health Canada recommends 50 and over. Two of my Children are Physicians and under 40 and have had the vaccination. I guess they have seen first hand pain of Shingles.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Get the shingles vaccine I say, even if your younger. I got shingles at 26 in the Gentlemen region/lower back. Worst pain I can imagine.. worse than shoulder surgery, a broken foot, and dislocating a shoulder. Nerve pain is no joke.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:44 PM

Here it is right from the horses mouth- get the bloody vaccine! I got shingles 8days ago, came out of the blue! Very mild case, according to my doctor, but this thing is painful - oh my dear God! I didn’t even get a blisters, just a few mosquito bite sized blemishes. Didn’t even know what it was, just a very painful to touch the skin of my stomach.... friend told me what it is and told me to get to the doctor fast.
So, the new vaccine requires two shots, $200 each. It should be effective for 5 years, and the protection is about 60%. Will do it for sure a year from now. If I only have a very minor case - I could only imagine what’s the severe case can do to you!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Here it is right from the horses mouth- get the bloody vaccine! I got shingles 8days ago, came out of the blue! Very mild case, according to my doctor, but this thing is painful - oh my dear God! I didn’t even get a blisters, just a few mosquito bite sized blemishes. Didn’t even know what it was, just a very painful to touch the skin of my stomach.... friend told me what it is and told me to get to the doctor fast.
So, the new vaccine requires two shots, $200 each. It should be effective for 5 years, and the protection is about 60%. Will do it for sure a year from now. If I only have a very minor case - I could only imagine what’s the severe case can do to you!
Interesting, my doc said he understood the Shingrix vaccine was 80-90% effective.

Had another look at the companies website, they claim ...

Quote "SHINGRIX is a vaccine that helps protect adults against shingles (also called herpes zoster).

As we age, the risk of getting shingles increases. SHINGRIX is specially designed for adults 50 years of age and older to help the body build its protection against shingles, regardless of increasing age.

In clinical trials, SHINGRIX was shown to be over 90% effective at preventing shingles for people 50 years of age and older."

For those on the fence, I would still have the conversation with your Doc and consider getting the shot.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:11 PM

I will get a shot too. No questions, after what I’m going thru right now with a very mild case of it - I can’t even imagine the pain and suffering of a severe case of shingles. My doc told me that I will need a shot a year after my flare up is cleared. And yes, he said it is effective in about 60% of people.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:50 PM

Post error ... wrong thread.

D.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:55 PM

No thanks - if you have shingles from the chicken pox virus, it is already in you. I have seen the vaccine cause adverse reactions in family members. Better idea before it comes out: daily wim hof method style breathing and daily cold exposure.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacksattacks View Post
No thanks - if you have shingles from the chicken pox virus, it is already in you. I have seen the vaccine cause adverse reactions in family members. Better idea before it comes out: daily wim hof method style breathing and daily cold exposure.
Interesting reply for your 2nd post, wish you all the best.

D.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacksattacks View Post
Agree with you 100%, the great vaccine sham alive and well. “ Get the shot, it’s 50% effective, and only $200.” Yeah I am sure nobody is profiting at that stupidity...
Old 08-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Banned

From Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6703a5.htm

On October 20, 2017, Zoster Vaccine Recombinant, Adjuvanted (Shingrix, GlaxoSmithKline, [GSK] Research Triangle Park, North Carolina), a 2-dose, subunit vaccine containing recombinant glycoprotein E in combination with a novel adjuvant (AS01B), was approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the prevention of herpes zoster in adults aged ≥50 years. The vaccine consists of 2 doses (0.5 mL each), administered intramuscularly, 2–6 months apart (1). On October 25, 2017, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended the recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV) for use in immunocompetent adults aged ≥50 years.

Summary of Findings
As a result of the GRADE process, key outcomes were designated as critical (prevention of herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia, serious adverse events following vaccination) or important (duration of protection, reactogenicity). All outcomes were considered for both RZV and ZVL compared with no vaccination. There were no clinical studies that compared the vaccines directly with one another (head-to-head). Supporting evidence for the Work Group’s findings is available online (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/re...es-zoster.html) (22).

Recombinant Zoster Vaccine (RZV). Efficacy of RZV was evaluated in a two-part, phase III multicenter clinical trial which enrolled >30,000 participants, who were randomized 1:1 to receive vaccine or saline placebo (14,15). The median follow-up time was 3.2 years for Zoster Efficacy Study in Adults 50 Years of Age or Older (ZOE-50) (14), and 3.7 years for Zoster Efficacy Study in Adults 70 Years of Age or Older (ZOE-70) (15). The efficacy for the prevention of herpes zoster was 96.6% (95% confidence interval [CI] = 89.6–99.3) in persons aged 50–59 years and 97.4% (95% CI = 90.1–99.7) in persons aged 60–69 years (14). Using pooled data from both study arms, vaccine efficacy was 91.3% (95% CI = 86.8–94.5) in participants aged ≥70 years (15). Vaccine efficacy in the first year after vaccination was 97.6% (95% CI = 90.9–99.8) and was 84.7% (95% CI = 69.0–93.4) or higher for the remaining 3 years of the study in persons aged ≥70 years. Efficacy for prevention of postherpetic neuralgia was 91.2% (95% CI = 75.9–97.7) in adults aged ≥50 years and 88.8% (95% CI = 68.7–97.1) in those aged ≥70 years (15).

Serious adverse events (an undesirable experience associated with the vaccine that results in death, hospitalization, disability or requires medical or surgical intervention to prevent a serious outcome) were examined in eight studies sponsored by GSK, which included 29,965 subjects (15,264 RZV recipients) (22). Overall, rates of serious adverse events over the study periods were similar in the RZV and placebo groups.

Injection-site and systemic grade 3 solicited adverse events (reactions related to vaccination which were severe enough to prevent normal activities) were actively surveyed in eight studies involving 10,590 subjects (22). Among the subset of subjects completing the 7-day diary card for reactogenicity in phase III clinical trials (9,936), 16.5% of vaccine recipients reported any grade 3 adverse event compared with 3.1% of placebo recipients (14,15). Grade 3 injection-site reactions (pain, redness, and swelling) were reported by 9.4% of vaccine recipients, compared with 0.3% of placebo recipients and grade 3 solicited systemic events (myalgia, fatigue, headache, shivering, fever, and gastrointestinal symptoms) were reported by 10.8% of vaccine recipients and 2.4% of placebo recipients (14,15). Whereas there were no differences in the proportions of local grade 3 reactions between dose 1 and dose 2, systemic grade 3 reactions were reported more frequently after dose 2 (1). Overall, the most common solicited adverse reactions (grade 1–3) were pain (78%), myalgia (45%), and fatigue (45%) (1).

Last edited by Weedy1; 08-26-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:35 AM

We had the old shot 2 yrs ago and had the first of 2 shots for the new one which we were told was 90% preventable. My wife just had a sore arm for 2 days and I was tired for 2 days (no energy) which was one of the listed side effects. We are going get the 2nd shot in Nov. Our extended medical insurance covered most of it.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
On another note, Twinrix, which was supposed to be a one-off for life against Hep A and Hep B turned out needing a booster after 5 years. Not trying to derail this thread, but seems a good thread for vaccines in general.
Can't find that anywheres. If you get the original vaccine shots within the prescribed time it should last 14-20 years.

Not on Twinrix official site nor provincial sites.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin