Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM

Dorkburger soup (Dork burger = 60% ground Deer and 40% ground Pork)

1 lb burger
1 28oz can of diced or crushed tomatoes (home canned is even better)
1/2 28 oz can of water
1 lg onion diced
1 Tsp crushed garlic
Franks red hot sauce to taste
2 tsp of oregano

What you do is you cook up the burger loose in a pan till its about half cooked then add the onions and finish cooking that all up . Next stir in the rest of the spices till they are blended in well . Pour the Tomatoes over top and the water and stir it up . let it simmer with a lid on for about an hour stirring it occasionally, and boom Great dorkburger soup Add a fresh dinner roll with butter to finish it off.

When it's 20 below outside you will love this dish inside
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Default A sauce to me better than mustard

Got a variation this off a Hunting site about 10 years ago.

It is great for a wild game dipping sauce or as a sandwich spread

I use mayo in my version as well as a tsp of dijon mustard.
The name is what drew me to this recipe.

It really is called "A sauce to me better than mustard"

1 cup Miracle Whip
3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Default jerky Marinade recipe

1/2 cup Soya sauce
8 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
3 tbsp liquid hickory smoke
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper

add 2 lb lean meat
let sit for 24 hr
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Default Gefilte Fish

Since it's Hanukkah, here is a traditional Jewish cold fish dumpling recipe. It's SO good. Shalom!

Gefilte Fish

1 1/2 lb whitefish
1 lb pike
1 lb walleye

You can substitute salmon, trout, burbot, or other firm pink or white fleshed fish and it should be fine.

1/2 cup water
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 eggs
2 to 3 heaping Tbsp of Knorr's fish stock for flavour (you can often find this in oriental sections at grocery stores)
salt and pepper to taste. I use a fair amount of these as the mixture tends to be very mild.

Bone and skin the fish, place all the fish and the chopped onion into a food processor and very finely mince.

Mix in the 2 eggs, water, the fish stock and the salt and pepper. The mixture will be quite wet.

Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Shape the fish into egg-shaped balls about the size of your palm and drop them one by one into the boiling water. When all the fish balls are in the pot, cover with a tight lid, turn down heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Do NOT lift the lid during the cooking.

When done, carefully remove with a slotted spoon, drain off and chill. The fish will continue to drain for several hours. Serve cold.

VARIATION: You can make a stock to boil the gefilte fish from the skin and bones of the fish, 2 onions quartered, 3 stalks of celery, 2 carrots, water, salt and pepper, but I've haven't found that this makes much difference to the taste of the gefilte fish. Instead I've used the Knorr's fish stock in the mixture.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Any Man's Cake

1. 19 oz. can of crushed pineapple

2. 1 box of Angle food cake mix

3. 1 9"x13" pirex dish

Use a deep mixing bowl as this will tend to foam up quite a bit
mix pineapple and angle food cake mix together.
pour into pirex dish.
cook for 1/2 hour in 350F or until golden brown.
don't be alarmed if the cake sinks in the middle, as it is still good to go.
enjoy
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up Awesome Duck Recipe

I'm actually reposting this from an age old AO thread which is located here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=duck+breast

It is post 26 from the thread. I have used this a ton, and have always had great results. Shout out to Sjmejak who originally posted this winner.

I use a stuffing of provolone cheese, spinach and proscuitto ham. You can also use kale, mozza, bacon, whatever. Brilliant recipe.

Hope I am not breaking any rules by reposting it!!

Deep fried stuffed duck breast.

Posted this on another forum but figured it would fit here again. It's a way of cooking ducks and geese that will appeal even to people who say they don't like waterfowl but still has enough of the duck flavor to appeal to those of us who do like it. Try this out, you won't be disappointed with the results.

Step one: Pluck the breast of a medium to large duck and singe of the pin feathers.

Step 2: Cut the breast off the bone in one piece so that you have the 2 halves still connected by the skin.

Step 3: Cut a crosshatch pattern on the meat side of the breast but be carefull not to cut all the way through. Season meat side well with salt and pepper, cajun seasoning, or my favorite --OLD BAY.

Step 4: Put your favorite stuffing in the breast and tie the breast up with butcher string as shown (skewers or good sharp tooth picks can be used to hold it together too ). The stuffing shown is just ritz crackers, salt, pepper and parsley. But I've used fruit, herb, and sausage stuffings too.

Step 5. Roll in a light dusting of flour and deep fry at about 345-350 until the skin's really nice and brown(or roast at 425 for 20 minutes -- baste with oil or butter as she's going). Take out of oil, drain, dust with your favorite seasoning salt or spice and let sit about 5 minutes before taking off the string and slicing. Should be medium rare when done. I serve this with a drizzle of sauce made from lemon juice, mayonaise, capers, green onion, salt/pepper, hot sauce and worchesteshire.

Edit: The original thread had pics. I couldn't figure out how to get them cut over. But the pics were nice and very helpful!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Deer/Elk tenderloin/Backstraps

2-4lbs of Ungulate (Deer, Elk, Moose) Tenderloin and/or backstraps
Garlic (to taste - I use at least 3 cloves per pound if not more)
Fresh Rosemary
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Red Wine (Optional)

Salt and pepper the meat then marinate in chopped fresh rosemary, garlic and olive oil for at least a night. You can also mix in the Red Wine as well at this point.

Barbeque over high heat until rare-med rare.

Let meat rest for 10-15 mins.

Slice against the grain into 1cm thick pieces.

Serving option is to slice a small (2-3 CM across) french baguette and toast the bread in the oven.

Once the bread is done, spread dijon/hot mustard/horseradish type of sauce on it. Place once piece of the meat on top and enjoy.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Poyha- Cherokee Meatloaf

Did some web browsing this morning and came across this:
Something different- for me anyways.

POYHA (Cherokee Meatloaf) -- Venison

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup water
1 lb. ground venison
1 tbsp. fat
1 medium can whole kernel corn
1 small chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs

Mix cornmeal and water in bowl. Brown venison in fat; add corn and onion; cook additional 10 minutes. Add salt, egg, and cornmeal mixture. Stir well and cook 15 minutes. Place in greased loaf pan and bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

By looking at this it reminds me of Polenta- so I think I will chill it after cooking- turn it out and cut thick slices. Then pan fry in lard till golden and crispy for breakfast the next day
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Default Lake trout/Salmon recipe

Here is my version to the best tasting laker you will ever have in your life, yes there are calories but hey,,,you only live once! LOL. This can be either done on a cedar plank (BBQ) or in your oven...your choice. If a cedar plank soak for more than 24 hours in warm water WITH RealLemon juice,,,enhances flavor.

Take the de-boned filet(s) and slice open like you would a submarine bun so you can stuff the filet. Get some Kraft Herb n Garlic cream cheese, spread a layer inside of sliced filet approx an 3/16" to 1/4" thick then sprinkle generously on top of the cream cheese some crumbled bacon bits and carmelized onions, sprinkle a hint of lemon pepper and seasoned salt as well. Then close the filet up and spread the entire top and sides with a layer of mayonnaise (NOT salad dressing!) as the mayo will create a nice glaze on top. You can even mix a bit of brown sugar with your mayo and a hint of seasoning on top like lemon pepper, seasoned salt and dill. Then place in oven on a cookie sheet for 30 mins at 375 deg F. The last 5 mins I like to put on broil for a crispier glaze effect. For the BBQ on a cedar plank place for the same time (30 mins) but have a spray water bottle handy as the cedar tends to catch fire on sides. You will be in for a show stopper of a meal and it completely eliminates the fishy taste/smell and greasy taste of a laker. Enjoy!!!

P.S. deboning a laker is similar to a pike, reference to YouTube videos for easy tutorials on deboning a pike or laker.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM

Default Elk Bourguignon

Sear 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. cubed elk in pan with 2 tbsp olive oil.
Add elk to pot with 2 cups of Cabernet Sauvignon or dark red wine
Add two cups of chicken broth
Add 3 - 4 chopped carrots
Add 1 medium chopped onion
Put lid on pot and heat in oven at 325 for 1 1/2 hours
Add cubed Potatoes
Add 1/2 - 1 cup of fresh quartered mushrooms
Add 4 sprigs Thyme
Add 2 - 3 toes of garlic
Add Salt and pepper to taste
Simmer in oven at 325 for another 30 to 40 minutes
Enjoy
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Default okay, here's the best pheasant pie receipe EVER!!

Alrighty then, here we go.
Makes two deep dish pies and one single dish pie
so, you will need the pie plates and
one big stew pot!
6 TBS butter
6TBS flour
1TSP salt
1TSPdried thyme
1TSP sage
1TSP poultry seasoning
1/2TSP pepper
1cup chicken broth
2 cups half&half cream
5cups cubed pheasant, chuker, ruffed grouse, whatever ( cooked and boned the day before)
2 cups frozen peas
6-8 medium potatoes
6 medium carrots - thinly sliced
1/2- to one onion diced
two to three stocks of celery cut thin
1 can of sliced and drained mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of fresh parsley chopped fine

melt the butter and sautee the onions and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes

Add in the flour to make a thick paste

add cream and chicken broth and spices aan parsley until well mixed
bring to boil for two minutes

Add in the bird, and all the Veggies and mix well

pastry can be either store bought or made - we make our own.

Fill pie plates and bake in a pre--heated oven for 10 minutes at 425 degrees , then turn down to 350 degrees and continue cooking for 40 minutes.
Cool down for about 2 hours afterwards , then enjoy!

Notes: We bake the birds beforehand to take the meat off the bones , usually the evening or the day before - less hassle around the stove.

Also, I have been informed by the executive chef that store bought pastry sucks!!
This

will turn into this

Cat
Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Easy and quick like me

dry rub any steak i cut mine 1in thick when i butcher them marinade 2 hour to over night pre heat oven to 350 ,than in oven safe frying pan heat on stove sear out side of steak and place in oven for 20 min for med to well done ,shorter for rarer ,option hand full of sliced mushrooms just before going into oven
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM

check out just game recipes on google
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Boneless Salmon Steaks with a Garlic Parmesan Herb Crust

Mix 1 cup mayo with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Beat in 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice-zest of 1/2 lemon and one beaten egg yolk. Fresh chopped small bunch of parsley and a small sprig of chopped fresh thyme and a small crushed garlic clove.Parm and mayo both can be salty, so I would not add any additional-however a grind or two of black pepper would work.

Place boneless salmon steaks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bring tips of belly section together and secure with toothpicks.
Place herb crust topping in a pastry bag with star tip and pipe the cavity flush with the fish surface and then pipe to 3/8" depth over entire salmon steak surface. Enough topping for 4 salmon steaks.

Cook in a 430F oven approx 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness until golden brown and bubbling.

PM for instructions on making a boneless salmon steak( in case you have never seen it done)

Last edited by omega50; 01-29-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post

Mix 1 cup mayo with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Beat in 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice-zest of 1/2 lemon and one beaten egg yolk. Fresh chopped small bunch of parsley and a small sprig of chopped fresh thyme and a small crushed garlic clove.Parm and mayo both can be salty, so I would not add any additional-however a grind or two of black pepper would work.

Place herb crust topping in a pastry bag with star tip and pipe the cavity flush with the fish surface and then pipe to 1/2 depth over entire salmon steak surface. Enough topping for 4 salmon steaks.

Cook in a 430F oven approx 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness until golden brown and bubbling.

PM for instructions on making a boneless salmon steak( in case you have never seen it done)
I'd like to see how to make a boneless salmon steak, as would others I'm sure. Why not post it here? Sounds like a tasty, simple recipe.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post

Place herb crust topping in a pastry bag with star tip and pipe the cavity flush with the fish surface and then pipe to 3/8" depth over entire salmon steak surface. Enough topping for 4 salmon steaks.

Responding to Scott N's request.
Pics and description of procedure. Done here on what I had available -which was a sad and lonely pink salmon side.Expect fantastic results from a "Real" salmon- but this will illustrate the technique.

1. Fillet salmon remove rib cage and pull pin bones

2.Flip salmon skin side up and cut through to the board squaring one side of your steak

3. Decide how thick you want your steak and double that number. This is the width you want-cut through again to the board. eg. 1" desired thickness equals a 2" width of fillet

4.The tricky part.Starting at the thickest point- Cut PARTIALLY through the center of the fillet.Once you reach the white belly section you may cut through to the board.

5.Place your thumbs gently in the center cut and flip the skin to the outside. You may need to make small cuts in the thick sections if it is tearing( Under NO circumstance can you cut through the thick sections or you will have 2 halves and just have defeated the whole purpose)

6. Now you can bring the belly section tips together to form a cavity that will get piped with filling- or you could fill with a bread stuffing.

Enjoy.

Last edited by omega50; 01-29-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Teriyaki

I usually use skin on chicken thighs, but use your imagination.
Quantity is for about 12 people so half the amounts if you need less.

Marinade:
500ml Kikkoman Lite Soya Sauce
1 tblsp- crushed garlic
1 tblsp- minced ginger
250 ml brown sugar
100 ml mirin
100 ml oil- usually mostly veg oil and a splash of sesame oil
Let chicken marinade 2-4 hours

Teriyaki Sauce
Part 1:
200 ml Mirin
200 ml Sake Wine
100g white sugar
Heat together to dissolve sugar

Part 2:
100ml Kikkoman Regular Soya Sauce
100ml Kikkoman Lite Soya Sauce
100ml Chicken Stock

Add together Part 1 & Part 2 and reduce over heat by 1/3

3. Grill chicken over a SLOW grill brushing chicken with sauce multiple times.
Can be baked as well if not grill season at your house

Change the chicken stock for beef stock in Part 2 and the recipe is perfectly adapted for all red meats.

Last edited by omega50; 02-02-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Lake Trout Fish Patties

2lbs of boneless, skinless lake trout
Pinch of dill
Pinch of paprika
Pinch of pepper
Pinch of the "Pride of Szeged" fish rub
Two table spoons of butter
1 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 of one onion, finely diced

Chop the trout into pea sized chunks. By hand mix in all the spices, onions and half of the cup of Panko. Melt butter and pour over mix. Mix by hand and form into patties.

Once the patties or cakes are tightly pressed into shape, coat again in dry panko and press lightly with your palms to stick the panko to the cake.

Cook on medium high heat in about a teaspoon of olive oil for about 4 minutes a side, or until browned to your liking.

Serve with your favourite home made tartar sauce and fresh squeezed lemon.

Makes 4-6 burger sized patties.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 AM

Default Spicy Lemon Garlic shrimp

Came across this recipe recently.
Tried it and its fantastic.

When I did it, I tossed some fresh pasta and veggies with the butter

Ingredients

2 pounds Raw Shrimp, Deveined, Shells On
2 sticks Cold Unsalted Butter Cut Into Pieces
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
4 cloves Garlic, Peeled
1/4 cup Fresh Parsley
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
1 whole Lemon, Juiced

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse frozen shrimp to separate, then arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.

In the bowl of a food processor, add cold butter, garlic, lemon juice, salt, parsley, and red pepper. Pulse until combined. Sprinkle cold butter crumbles over the shrimp.

Bake until shrimp is opaque and butter is hot and bubbly.

Serve with hot crusty bread. Peel and eat the shrimp, then dip the bread into the butter in the bottom of the pan.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM

Default any wild rabbit recipes ?

looking for wild rabbit recipes thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 12:45 AM

Default Bacon duck + beer

Its extremely simple

Step 1. Cube duck breasts

Step 2. Wrap cubed duck meat in bacon. Secure with toothpick ( insure you soak toothpicks in water).

Step 3. Soak in Worcestershire sauce and add what ever spices you want

Step 4. Throw them on the BBQ and push them around and flip them around

Step 5. Serve

Ensure you drink beer throughout, and blame those misses you had on a bad lot of shells and the 90mph tail wind
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM

Default Pickled Eggs Recipe

Sorry couldn't resist.

Yes it is a Recipe video.
I know there has to be atleast 1 guy in here who would love to make these for his home bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG0NrjsX_EI
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Default Dirty Bird Rice

Kind of a one-pot cheat meal when you need some comfort food.

Brown 1 lb of ground duck/goose/grouse/turkey/Penguin-pretty much whatever you got.
Stir in 1 pack of Zatarain's Dirty Rice Mix
add 2 1/2 cups water - bring to the boil- cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes.
Spicy and satisfy-ing

Not purty- but quite tasty and simple

Last edited by omega50; 02-17-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 AM

thanks for the nice recipes.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM

Default Asian Smoked Salmon Brine

Supper simple Asian Salmon Brine
Makes approx 2l

1 Jar 900G Bulgogi Sauce
Fill empty jar with cold water
pour in container
add 1/3 cup kosher salt
1/2 lb Brown sugar

place in non-reactive container with salmon strips for 12-18 hours
Let dry til tacky
smoke/cook to your tastes- I like it tea smoked

Bulgogi is a Korean Sweet/Salty BBQ sauce

Last edited by omega50; 02-28-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Default Gefilte Fish

Gefilte fish (poached fish balls) are a traditional Jewish food that my family would usually serve once a year at Passover on the Seder. The recipe calls for white fleshed fish, but you can substitute 30-50% of the fish with trout, char, or salmon if that's all you have.

This batch makes quite a bit so make it a 1/2 recipe if you're unsure.

1.5 lb whitefish
1 lb walleye or perch
1 lb pike

1 large onion coarsely chopped
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
3 heaping teaspoons Knorr fish or wonton soup stock (found in the Asian aisle of your grocery store)
generous amounts of salt & pepper to taste

Bone and skin the fish. Place the fish and chopped onion in a food processor and mince very finely. You may have to do this in 2 or 3 batches.

Place the fish in a large mixing bowl and mix 2 eggs, water, fish stock, and salt & pepper into the chopped fish until well blended. Be liberal with the seasonings otherwise the result will be quite bland.

Wet your hands and then shape the fish into egg-shaped balls about the size of the palm of your hand and drop them one by one into a large pot of salted, boiling water. When all the fish are in the pot, cover with a tight lid, turn down the heat and simmer for 1.5 hours. Do NOT lift the lid during the cooking.

Carefully remove the fish with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towel until cool and then place in containers in the fridge to chill for several hours. Serve cold.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM

Thumbs up Ummmm Tasty Bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Looking for jackrabbit recipes other than stews pls.
put rabbit in roaster quartered or halfed which ever, add three red quartered apples a pinch of cinnamin, bit of water one sliced lemon.

let cook at 325f for approx 2 1/2 hrs covered.

remove rabbit and only rabbit to another roaster or whatever, take 2 handfuls of dill, chop until fine, mix equal amounts of sourcream and whipping cream add the dill, mix, pour over rabbit until all is covered.

Place in oven at 280f for 1 1/2 hours or until cream bubbles for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Default Salmon or Halibut Simple

Soak cedar plank for a couple hours, lay fish on plank, fire BBQ to 3/4 max on one side, take raspberry jam and coat entire piece of fish jam is cheap use some, place fish on BBQ (on side that is not lit, cook for 20 to 35 minutes depending on how hot your BBQ gets and size of fish fillet.

Dig in, excellent combination of flavors.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Default Maple Salmon

This is the simplest, and one of the tastiest recipes I know.

Soak skinless salmon fillets in a ziploc bag containing 3 parts maple syrup and one part soy sauce for a minimum 8hr, preferably 24hrs, in the fridge.

Bake on tinfoil @ 450-500 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or in my case until the edges of the salmon are a fairly deep brown. (This is the only recipe where I like my meat well done).

That's it. It is fairly easily my favorite way to cook salmon.

There are cheap, bulk maple syrup jugs at Costco that we buy specifically for this.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 AM

Thumbs down Derrick wilderness creation

I brought 3 wolfs there in november 2011 to get rugs done out of them,he had told me they should be ready by june,its 9 months later and give him $ on them already and every time i talk to him he says there almost ready only the finishing touch to do,damn how long does it take to do the finishing touch,wouldnt recomend him to no one anyway.