Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2016, 12:30 AM

Default Introduction thread for the new members

Howdy!
Here it is, the thread where you can introduce yourself, tell us about your favorite outdoor pastime, where you are from , etc.
Have at 'er !
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-11-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:40 AM

I'll start off. I Never introduced myself last year. Originally my username was nmaksymyk but I changed it last winter for obvious reasons. I posted " homemade tree stands and whitetails" last season.
I have been upland bird hunting since I could shoot. Started big game 6 years ago and have been successful with many whitetails with the rifle. Started bow hunting last year and was successful with a young moose. I'm hooked on bow hunting now but still take out the rifle in November. Annual tradition with the old man to hunt whitetails with rifles around his place.
Also, in the summer I do a lot of flyfishing in creeks and streams with the odd walleye trip here and there. Been flicking the flies for prob 7 years now. Lots of camping too.
I've got a wife, 2 year old boy and 5 year old girl. I live in spruce grove but drive all over Alberta to get my wilderness fix. Can't stand the city so I get into the bush as much as I can, whenever I can.
I'm a red seal carpenter by trade. Currently framing residential and commercial for a local company and have been at it for 12+ years. If everything works out I should be inspecting houses soon. Building is hard on the body after a while.
Anyways, that's me in a nutshell.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:58 AM

Howdy and welcome!
Lots of good people here , and lots of members here are also carpenters.
Cat
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 AM

Default Hello

I've posted a few things but I guess never really introduced myself. I grew up in Estevan, Saskatchewan and moved to Sylvan lake two years ago. I grew up on a farm and owned my own. Now I'm a city boy I guess. Hunted pheasant and whitetail for about 8 years lots of fishing when I was younger. Now I'm going to focus a bit more on any larger game. I've been eager to take out my bow and need to find myself a decent muzzle loader. I guess in a nutshell I want to take advantage of everything the province has to offer. Also I'd like to say thanks to all the helpfull and kind people on the forum, I've had nothing but a great expireance so far.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Hi my name is Rob

and I am a gunaholic,...... ooops wrong meeting!
Old 06-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
and I am a gunaholic,...... ooops wrong meeting!
Down the hall to your left Mister!
Cat
Old 06-11-2016, 12:51 PM

Hello everyone
I'm female, 43 yrs old and I was born/raised in Calgary.
While most little girls played with dolls and had funerals for their deceased pets - I had stubbie beer bottles with garter snakes to play with and my pets were buried and dug up a year or so later so I could collect the skulls/bones ;o)
Although we lived in Calgary - both my parents & siblings were outdoors people and my upbringing was mainly spent in the bush fishing, learning how to track, identifying animals/plants etc.. etc... none of my family members hunted except my cousins and we did not spend much time with them growing up though.
I have lived in various places around southern Alberta including Turner Valley - Black Diamond and SW of Nanton. Currently - I live in Champion, Ab with my husband of 18 yrs (husband is also born/raised Ab). We have one son who is 22 yrs old and has moved on with his next chapter in life (yippee we're empty nesters!!!!). My husband has always hunted and finally after all these years - I have decided to get in on the action as well and 2016 is my second season of hunting.
We had a chance to go anywhere for a vacation a few years back - instead of soaking on a beach somewhere tropical - I chose the Yukon. We froze our keesters off but it was the best vaycay I've ever been on and I hope one day to move up there.
I proudly wear fur - collect sheds - skulls and bones and have many - many pets - well - I call them pets but they are all various taxidermy animals and pelts. A lot of folks are dumbfounded when they find out all these oddities are mine and not my husbands - lolol.
Both of us are flooring installers (husband has 45 plus yrs and I've been at it for 13 yrs) and sub contract off a small mom & pop shop in Vulcan. We live - work and play hard together and would not have it any other way.
I'm not sure what else to say except that I do enjoy this forum and have found it helpful. I have no desire to "build up" my posts - I could care less - have better ways of spending my time and that is not why I joined. I thank you for accepting me here and I wish everyone a successful hunting season this year and in the future. Thank you ~ Sue.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Howdy Sue!
Flooring installer , wow, tough trade on the knees and other joints!
The Yukon is spectacular fir sure
Cat
Old 06-11-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainthopeacres View Post
Hello everyone
While most little girls played with dolls and had funerals for their deceased pets - I had stubbie beer bottles with garter snakes to play with and my pets were buried and dug up a year or so later so I could collect the skulls/bones ;o)
Although we lived in Calgary - both my parents & siblings were outdoors people and my upbringing was mainly spent in the bush fishing, learning how to track, identifying animals/plants etc.. etc... none of my family members hunted except my cousins and we did not spend much time with them growing up though.
I have lived in various places around southern Alberta including Turner Valley - Black Diamond and SW of Nanton. Currently - I live in Champion, Ab with my husband of 18 yrs (husband is also born/raised Ab). We have one son who is 22 yrs old and has moved on with his next chapter in life (yippee we're empty nesters!!!!). My husband has always hunted and finally after all these years - I have decided to get in on the action as well and 2016 is my second season of hunting.
We had a chance to go anywhere for a vacation a few years back - instead of soaking on a beach somewhere tropical - I chose the Yukon. We froze our keesters off but it was the best vaycay I've ever been on and I hope one day to move up there.
I proudly wear fur - collect sheds - skulls and bones and have many - many pets - well - I call them pets but they are all various taxidermy animals and pelts. A lot of folks are dumbfounded when they find out all these oddities are mine and not my husbands - lolol.
Both of us are flooring installers (husband has 45 plus yrs and I've been at it for 13 yrs) and sub contract off a small mom & pop shop in Vulcan. We live - work and play hard together and would not have it any other way.
I'm not sure what else to say except that I do enjoy this forum and have found it helpful. I have no desire to "build up" my posts - I could care less - have better ways of spending my time and that is not why I joined. I thank you for accepting me here and I wish everyone a successful hunting season this year and in the future. Thank you ~ Sue.
Welcome Sue! Great write up.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:16 PM

Hello all!

I'm a 26 year old female, originally from Edmonton but I've been in Calgary for 3 years now. I'm an accountant by day I'm brand new to fishing, just started exactly a month ago and loving it. Working on my skills, learning the lures and trying to fish as often as possibly!
Old 06-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

Well hello guys and gals and welcome to this forum. Sure is interesting and nice to hear of your accounts. Sue, I found your Yukon account pretty interesting. I started a Yukon trip by renting a motorhome and travelling from Whitehorse all the way to Dawson City and across into Alaska etc. I had purchased a book by Pierre Berton namely "the Klondike". Reading that book as we settled in each nite in various campgrounds made the trip that much more interesting. Since that first trip, I have returned twice to hunt with my wife's cousin who lives in WH, he's a radio announcer for CBC and the local Molson Brewery rep. I have also fished on "Frenchman Lake" and caught some northern pike which I must say rivaled some of the best fish that we have here in the south. While in Dawson City, we spent an evening at Diamond Tooth Gerties, where the can-can girls dragged me on stage (without much hesitation on my part I must admit) and planted a kiss of red lip stick on my cheek. On my first visit there, I also hiked the first 2 miles of the Chilkoot Trail. Then we went on to Skagway where my wife emptied my wallet with a nice chunk of gold on a necklace. Well, I must admit that I helped with the emptying of the wallet by purchasing a belt buckle with a nice little nugget. The history of the Klondike and the hardship endured by those gold miners is absolutely fascinating.

Last edited by gitrdun; 06-11-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Hello all!

I'm a 26 year old female, originally from Edmonton but I've been in Calgary for 3 years now. I'm an accountant by day I'm brand new to fishing, just started exactly a month ago and loving it. Working on my skills, learning the lures and trying to fish as often as possibly!
Welcome to the forum and to Calgary lady angler. Can't offer much tips in fishing, I'm not new to it, but I haven't improved much over the years....LOL.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Smile

Hi guys!
I live in central Alberta, Linden in fact(hence the name), I am 16 years old, I am a concrete worker, I hunt(coyotes and deer so far, hope to hunt elk and moose in the future), would like to fish but don't have the time or money to do so, and I live on a family farm and work here part time. I've enjoyed this site immensely, and I hope I can be beneficial, not harmful.
Thanks for now,
Lindenite
Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Banned

Hi Fellows , I am 67 and live just west of Red Deer , worked heavy equipment and the patch for 41 years , retired , now am in animal damage control ,Trap year round mouse to bears , almost invalid spouse but a keeper! Kids are gone , I am a passionate trap collector also odd and unusual guns . Hard core trapper , And by cracky I AM CANADIAN!!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainthopeacres View Post
Hello everyone
Welcome to a fellow flooring installer
Old 06-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Default Greetings from Edmonton

Just joined this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been fishing, hunting, camping quading, boating etc, since I was big enough to take my father's equipment without permission. Born and raised in Alberta but been fortunate to have seen and enjoyed life on all continents and over 100 countries. Used to do a lot of outdoors with my wife but sadly she's gone now. In fact many of my former outdoor buds are either gone or prefer to stay home and nurse their prostates. My last big trip was diving the great barrier reef but now looking forward to fly fishing the Bow for a few days. Would be nice to meet someone with similar passion as me to make some memories for the next 50 years.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:32 PM

great thread idea and welcome to all the new members. Give more than you take, don't talk about politics or religion and have some fun. I've made good friends off this forum over the few years I've been here. Great place to hang your hat
Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 PM

Hi all, I have been a member for a little bit now but I don't think I ever properly introduced myself. I grew up farming and working on farms and am now a builder for commercial/ag/acreage buildings. So if anyone has any questions on buildings especially post frame buildings I am more than happy to help. I have always enjoyed the casual hunting on the farm and more recently have been getting geared up to go into hunting a lot more. Any advice \I will gladly take as I will be doing my first hunt this year for deer and maybe some wolf cleanup. The threads here are great and seems like quite a diverse bunch on here. Oh and I live close to Edmonton so I might have been part of a crew that built a few guys sheds on here Cheers
Old 06-18-2016, 11:44 AM

Default Tuktakamin

I'm a new member to the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum and would like to express my thanks for the opportunity to participate with it's other members.
I'm 70 years young and have been quite active in the outdoors for 58 years.
I've been a hunter of big game and birds for 56 years, and have enjoyed bow hunting the last 25+ years. I've also done a fair amount of backpacking, canoeing, horseback riding, bicycle touring, and camping. Hope to continue learning and helping others within this and other forums I subscribe to, thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 PM

Default G'Day from New Zealand

Hi All, just signed up to learn more about NR hunting in Albert, particularly bear hunting. In New Zealand I hunt public land deer, tahr, chamois and occasionally elk. Mostly bow hunting. Happy to answer any questions if you are planning to visit New Zealand. Have visited BC many moons ago and keen to get back to Canada for a hunt. Cheers.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkiwi View Post
Hi All, just signed up to learn more about NR hunting in Albert, particularly bear hunting. In New Zealand I hunt public land deer, tahr, chamois and occasionally elk. Mostly bow hunting. Happy to answer any questions if you are planning to visit New Zealand. Have visited BC many moons ago and keen to get back to Canada for a hunt. Cheers.
Howdy and Welcome!
Southernman is another Kiwi, give him a PM!
Cat
Old 06-21-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Howdy and Welcome!
Southernman is another Kiwi, give him a PM!
Cat
Thanks Cat.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:18 PM

Hey,

Been lurking around for a long time ust reading this fourm and learning, havent introduced myself. 27 year old project manager for a plumbing and heating company, love hunting, camping, quadding, guns.....pretty much anything to do with outdoors or horsepower. Learned lots looking forward to learning more.

Robert
Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 AM

Default New to the Forum

Hello all,

Figured I would introduce myself before starting to post. I have lurked on here for a while even before I was a member.

I grew up on a farm in the wild rose county and as such have been involved in outdoor activities since basically birth. I have since moved to Calgary (hate it) due to needing to be closer to work. I still spend most of my free time out west or at the farm.

I enjoy camping, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, gold panning and overall just exploring the back country. Ofcourse photography fits in with all these activities. In the winter I sled as often as I can and would like to get a side by side for the summer months, I cant bring myself to 4x4 the duramax. I would also like to get into hunting but I am terribly squeamish, despite growing up calving out and raising cattle and dealing with everything that goes along with that. I don't have any trouble pulling the trigger, what follows usually gets me. Due to this I have mostly been limited to pest control related hunting.

I am an avid collector of firearms. I collect ruger rifles/handguns and basically anything from WWII or that has a date prior to 1950 that tickles my fancy. I also have a couple modern black rifles/shotguns, nothing tacticool just functioning work horses.

I look forward to contributing and learning from everyone on this forum!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:24 AM

Red face Newbie (newbie to pretty much anything outdoors)

I am new here although I have read a few threads as a guest. I'm a newbie camper and advice is always warranted
Thought I would introduce myself and then post my questions!!

Jessica
Old 06-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Banned

Hello all,

Have been out of shooting for about 25 years (other than the occasional hunting trip with my dad), and now that I'm retired, and the 4 children are out of the house, it's time to get back to some of my hobbies.

Looking forward to exchanging information and stories with you all!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:45 AM

Hey to everyone been following for some months now and enjoying seeing the diversity of opinions and the way people think . I was born in Banff a few years ago I am an Albertan . Served our country for 7 years in the 80's . Farmed and welded til drought , bse and the bank put a whoa to that adventure. Now we live in Parkland county and work at yeg airside operations. When I am off love to hunt and fly fishing. Just got back into reloading bullets with my son who also bow hunts . We l8ve the outdoors and will do just about anything to be outside enjoying the bounty this province is blessed with . Take care and I really enjoy this forum

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip07 View Post
Hey,

Been lurking around for a long time ust reading this fourm and learning, havent introduced myself. 27 year old project manager for a plumbing and heating company, love hunting, camping, quadding, guns.....pretty much anything to do with outdoors or horsepower. Learned lots looking forward to learning more.

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFall View Post
Hello all,

Figured I would introduce myself before starting to post. I have lurked on here for a while even before I was a member.

I grew up on a farm in the wild rose county and as such have been involved in outdoor activities since basically birth. I have since moved to Calgary (hate it) due to needing to be closer to work. I still spend most of my free time out west or at the farm.

I enjoy camping, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, gold panning and overall just exploring the back country. Ofcourse photography fits in with all these activities. In the winter I sled as often as I can and would like to get a side by side for the summer months, I cant bring myself to 4x4 the duramax. I would also like to get into hunting but I am terribly squeamish, despite growing up calving out and raising cattle and dealing with everything that goes along with that. I don't have any trouble pulling the trigger, what follows usually gets me. Due to this I have mostly been limited to pest control related hunting.

I am an avid collector of firearms. I collect ruger rifles/handguns and basically anything from WWII or that has a date prior to 1950 that tickles my fancy. I also have a couple modern black rifles/shotguns, nothing tacticool just functioning work horses.

I look forward to contributing and learning from everyone on this forum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Createmomma View Post
I am new here although I have read a few threads as a guest. I'm a newbie camper and advice is always warranted
Thought I would introduce myself and then post my questions!!

Jessica
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminator View Post
Hello all,

Have been out of shooting for about 25 years (other than the occasional hunting trip with my dad), and now that I'm retired, and the 4 children are out of the house, it's time to get back to some of my hobbies.

Looking forward to exchanging information and stories with you all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycut.a7 View Post
Hey to everyone been following for some months now and enjoying seeing the diversity of opinions and the way people think . I was born in Banff a few years ago I am an Albertan . Served our country for 7 years in the 80's . Farmed and welded til drought , bse and the bank put a whoa to that adventure. Now we live in Parkland county and work at yeg airside operations. When I am off love to hunt and fly fishing. Just got back into reloading bullets with my son who also bow hunts . We l8ve the outdoors and will do just about anything to be outside enjoying the bounty this province is blessed with . Take care and I really enjoy this forum

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Welcome to all. It's great to get some new ideas and perspectives. Even if you're used to lurking, please contribute. It makes this place a lot better. Ignore the odd jerk trolling or negative comments on positive experiences. There's usually someone who will step up for you in that case. Have fun!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 02:04 PM

Default Lurking for a while

I've been lurking for a while, but struggling to figure out how to post to the buy-sell. Can someone shed some light on how it works? I can't locate any stickies. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:52 PM

Hello! Posted a couple of times but never introduced myself so to speak! My names Eric. Into fly-fishing, camping, and smoking meat on the BGE. Recently pickup a metal detector so I'm looking for areas to use that. Fish both southern Alberta and BC. Want to get into riffle hunting or maybe bow hunting one day.

Picture below was a hike me and the girlfriend did last year. Yes she fly-fishes and ties the bugs too!