Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zader1 View Post
I've been lurking for a while, but struggling to figure out how to post to the buy-sell. Can someone shed some light on how it works? I can't locate any stickies. Thanks.
Howdy and welcome!
You need more than 20 posts to be able to post in th bu and sell!
Cat
Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Default Emerging from hibernation

Hello;
Long time member but more of a reader and not a poster. Tried to list my wall tent on buy and sell and turns out I need 20 posts!
So time to get involved I guess. Mostly into target and sport shooting, .308, AR, handguns, clays... Haven't found time to get out hunting at all so getting rid of the tent I bought on spec!
Old 07-05-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Howdy and welcome!
You need more than 20 posts to be able to post in th bu and sell!
Cat
Quick question regarding the 20 posts... Does the website know when you hit 20 and "unlock" the buy and sell or do we need to apply to admin or something?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
Quick question regarding the 20 posts... Does the website know when you hit 20 and "unlock" the buy and sell or do we need to apply to admin or something?
It is actually MORE than 20 posts, you need 21 and it is automatic yes
Cat
Old 07-05-2016, 07:57 PM

Default Salutations from The Big Land

Hello All, the names Jonathan I am from Labrador, im looking to find a Guiding job with an outfitter for Deer or Moose if i can, I shoot rifles and practice Trad archery, make my own gear and love every minute of it
Old 07-06-2016, 08:35 PM

Hey all.

My fondest memories are from our family fishing trips as a child. We would pack up the old station wagon, tie the canoe to the roof and explore every logging road down the forestry trunk that we could find. I learned how to fly fish with a cheap little spin cast rod at the age of 6, finally got a real fly rod by 9 and never looked back.

That old station wagon took us up to Alaska a few times and I got to enjoy the best fishing of my life from a tent, knowing nothing of what we were doing. I'm so thankful for my parents for letting me experience these things. Now I'm a father and am thrilled to be able to teach my own little ones the skills we bumbled our way into way back then.

As for work, I'm a Directional Driller, worked my way up on the rigs from a lease hand and absolutely love what I do.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Hi everyone, been lurking on here for years but finally joined. I'm originally from northwest Bc and grew up hunting with my dad from when I was old enough to breathe basically, he used to tell a story of taking me deer hunting when I was around 4 and while he was dragging a gutted out deer up the hill he couldn't figure out why it had gotten so heavy until he looked back to see me sitting on it most of my hunting was in the mountains when I was younger. Moved to Alberta 9yrs ago and got busy with life and didn't start hunting here until the fall my dad passed I got back into it looking to reconnect. I mainly do still hunting and like being as far off the roads and trails as I can get, this year it's my goal to get an elk I've been trying real hard the last couple years and hopefully this season is it! I really want to get out sheep hunting once I have enough time to dedicate to scouting and getting to the mountains sheep was dads favourite critter to chase and we always said we would go when I moved here and never got there. Anyways glad to be here and thanks to all the knowledgeable folks that post on here it's been helpful in the past
Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM

Hey all,
I'm a has been hunter. Spent nine years as a big game guide in northern BC before making a life change and going to school. That was 15 years ago and I'm just getting back into hunting. I enjoy the hunt, more than the kill so I picked-up a bow and am going to give it a try. New to the Calgary area, in regards to hunting, and looking forward to getting out into the bush again. I've always prided myself on my spotting and stalking skills so this should be a good new challenge for me.
Cheers
Swede
Old 08-11-2016, 11:10 AM

Default Newbie

Hi all,
I have recently moved to the Morinville area and am looking to get more into hunting. Have always been into fishing, hiking and most things outdoorsy but it's hard to find other young females interested in hunting, archery, fishing, sports in general...
I have followed my boyfriend around hunting for a couple years and then harvested a doe last year, now I am looking to get out on my own and be more independent (not be a ball and chain). Work in agriculture so lucky enough to have a lot of permission in the area and around Hoadley, just no idea what I'm doing. Goose hunting is definitely an interest as well, went out a couple times last year with no success but still fun! Maybe get into bow hunting in the future as well.
Proud new owner of a 308 and itching to use it. If you are or know of a male or female heading out around the area this fall and wouldn't mind a sidekick let me know!
Until then I will continue to lurk around the forum....
Cheers
Old 08-13-2016, 04:51 PM

Hello all, long time lurker and finally stepped up to sign onto the forum,
Born and raised in the Yukon and moved to Alberta 9 years ago. Live just outside of Calgary and I am always trying to get as far from the city as possible whenever time and money affords.
Look forward to my experience here and maybe one day meeting some good outdoors/ hunting folk as well.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 AM

Hello members,

Thanks for allowing me in first of all.

been an avid hunter since I was a young fella chasing dad through the bush.
10 years as a bow hunter and love long range shooting.

Newest passion would be chasing the Rocky Mountain big horn sheep. Amazing country they live in; also nothing better then spending weeks in the middle of nowhere with no human contact. Sure resets the internal clock.

Look forward to being a part off this community,

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 12:41 PM

Hello all.
I am new to this site and am hoping for some helpful I formation. Just yesterday in fact I bought my first of many handguns TT33. I can't wait to get it and take it for a test drive. I am a very active camper/hunter/fisherman with a very redneck side.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 AM

Default Moderators?

Hi, I didn't know where else to put this.

I am relatively new to AB, and don't post here much. I'm looking for a mentor in the Edmonton/Drayton Valley area, and as such I'm trying to PM some members to test the waters.

But it seems I am unable to view member's profile pages to initiate the PM process. I click a member's name and am sent to an error page explaining that I don't have permission to see the page (or something similar).

Any help mods?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:01 AM

Default hello

HI Everyone

i am 38 and love the outdoors i was born and raised in the country and wouldnt have it any other way. Hobbies include camping sledding boating rzring biking and hockey.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:16 PM

Default hello

Hi everyone, been on here a bit but thought I would introduce myself as well, 4th generation Alberta boy, family homesteaded Dickson West of Glennifer Dam and Standard NE of Calgary, Did time in the Infantry and spent 10 years living in Africa, mainly operating in the East for the UN and Government /Commercial operations, also a professional pilot so flew operations in Africa, and managed projects in Lebanon, Iraq, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Pakistan, for USA and Canuck Governments,returned home to Calgary and built a 500 barrel per day oil production company, got clobbered in downturn last year and now refocused on Africa for energy services, security operations, Impact investments, etc. Did some bush hunting in Africa, not on a paid safari but during operations when meat was needed for camp, relatively new to hunting in Canada, learned from family and friends here, but go solo eastern foothills backpack hunting for whitetail, Elk, and love grouse hunting, and learning all the time, very humbling pastime!! According to my hunting colleagues to date, they will never let me eat deer jerky in camp again owing to the odiferous resultant off-gassing that launched guys out of tent and into snow...all night...hence why i solo!!
Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Default Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg11 View Post
Hi, I didn't know where else to put this.

I am relatively new to AB, and don't post here much. I'm looking for a mentor in the Edmonton/Drayton Valley area, and as such I'm trying to PM some members to test the waters.

But it seems I am unable to view member's profile pages to initiate the PM process. I click a member's name and am sent to an error page explaining that I don't have permission to see the page (or something similar).

Any help mods?
Same problem with the error page, any luck?

Last edited by winterwinds; 08-30-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: More detail
Old 09-01-2016, 09:56 AM

Default Good Day all

My name is Lee. I have been hunting northwest of Rocky Mountain House for about 4 years now. So far the only ones I have harvested are by my camera, but I enjoy the hunt any way. Currently I use a Savage Arms 7mm-08 with scope and sling, and an Excalibur Phoenix Crossbow as a disabled hunter.
I love being in the outdoors as much as possible. I have been reading this site only a short while but have learned a fair amount already, and had a few laughs too.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby2 View Post
Same problem with the error page, any luck?
You guys need 20 posts to gain full site availability.....Jump into some threads today and share some stories or feedback...You can get to the 20 post count within the day

Also, take a little time to read the forum rules along the top of the page(stickies).
Old 09-01-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zader1 View Post
I've been lurking for a while, but struggling to figure out how to post to the buy-sell. Can someone shed some light on how it works? I can't locate any stickies. Thanks.
You have 21 posts now so it should be straight forward unless you want to reply to a post in the buy and sell.
You have to PM the person to do that
Cat
Old 09-05-2016, 09:43 PM

hey guys new to the site nice to meet yas
Old 09-08-2016, 12:44 PM

Hello all!

I've been reading these forums for quite some time. Finally decided to make an account and hopefully connect with some knowledgeable and experienced hunters wiling to help. By the looks of it, this community is filled with great people!

I'm originally from Montreal, ya ya... I know... Growing up as an English Irish kid in Montreal was hard, always enjoyed being outside of the city and going on hikes, camping trips but that was the only outdoor activities I could enjoy and no one in my family hunted. It has always been something I've wanted to do. The thrill of it all is exciting to me. Fast forward to 2011, moved to Red Deer, got a job in the patch and somehow that collapsed and now I find myself in a small town just outside of Rocky Mountain House and looking for work.

I haven't had the chance to take the hunter education course yet and it's a little too late now but I am wanting to do some predator hunting, mostly coyote. Hopefully I can connect with someone and learn from them!

I have 3 firearms I love, my 22LR, my ACR and my .270!

I am really excited to be apart of this community! Thank you for letting me tag along on this great outdoors adventure that you all share a passion for!

Dusty
Old 09-08-2016, 01:53 PM

Hello all!

I'm in the same situation as Dusty in that I've been visiting and reading these forums for some time now before signing up. Even after creating an account I took to doing a lot of reading and learning. Even more so after signing up. It's become a bit of an obsession as of late, actually

Born and raised in Alberta. I currently work in Edmonton as a business analyst (started life as a software developer), but enjoy every possible opportunity to pack up and get out of the city. I took the hunters education course back when I was in junior high school when it was offered as a supplement to the curriculum. Not sure if it still is, but if it isn't, it most definitely should be. I took a few years break due to a family illness but am very thankful to be back at it again. Some of my fondest memories are packing up with my dad (and now nephews) to head out and do a bit of hunting. Recharge a bit. Get back in touch. We're extremely fortunate in that we have some close friends who grant us access to their land during the season, but we're hoping to venture out a little bit further this year and explore other parts of the province a little bit. Hoping to go for Whitetail (east and west of Edmonton) and Elk (west and north) if all goes according to plan. Would love to try at Moose as well, but we'll see how that all works out this season. If not this year, then hopefully next.

This site is an absolute treasure trove of information and am very grateful for all the helpful information and for having such a supportive and engaged community. Really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and wish everyone all the best for the upcoming season!!!

Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Hi all,

I am in the process of moving to Edmonton for work from Sask. I have been a bowhunter for the past 20+ years, ever since I trailed along behind my father after mule deer in the river hills of Saskatchewan. Recently got more into waterfowl hunting beyond pass shooting and trained my lab x golden to retrieve birds. Still working on seeing if she will do upland. Lucky to have a wife and family that enjoys venison. Just love getting out and can't wait to explore Alberta over the coming years.

-Western
Old 09-16-2016, 06:07 AM
Banned

Default Greenwood1

Hi to all members here. I've been reading threads and post on here for a while and decided to join up partially so I can view some of the great pictures posted.

I've been hunting, fishing and trapping for over 50 years. Now retired I will be spending as much time as I want in the great outdoors.

Looks like lots of changes in the works for outdoorsmen and I want to keep on top of what's happening.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:41 PM

Hello! My name is Courtney and I come from Beaumont, AB. I'm in the process of purchasing my own acreage and a fair amount of my internet searches have returned results from this forum. You guys seem to be a wealth of knowledge about everything, including how to re-seed an acreage (that was my most recent search, FYI).

To tell you a bit about myself, I'm a country throwback. I was raised in the city, but my parents both come from rural settings. I guess it's in my blood to want to be away from the city and able to see the stars at night. I bought my first house five years ago in Beaumont and will be selling it shortly to purchase land closer to CFB Edmonton. My boyfriend is an active duty soldier, so we need to be close to the base for his "stupid o'clock" timings.

I am a website and graphic designer by trade, and in my spare time, I keep busy with my horses and dogs. I like to restore old saddles and leather tack, and I've recently started distressing and painting cattle skulls. Turns out, there's a niche market for stuff like that.

Anywho... pleased to meet you all!
Old 09-27-2016, 04:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I new to hunting this year, but I have been shooting pistols for 15 years. I have always wanted to hunt and didn't grow up with anyone who did or who could teach me, last fall -halfway through the season - I decided to write my test and teach myself. I got my study guide, wrote 2 days later and had my hunter number 7 days after that.

I live in BC and started late last fall going out on my own, with a $400 rifle and no equipment at all, just a knife and a cheap backpack. I am a financial analyst by day, so I didn't have a truck and the roads were hard on my car, but I just did lots and lots of walking.

I had 4 separate opportunities on WT does, but I passed them up wanting a rack. (My first of many mistakes).

I hunted bear this spring and had a close call with a large black bear. I shot him, but must not have hit him in the vitals and he charged me making a horrible grunting squealing sound. I had a controlled round feed action, and being used to push-fee I short-stroked the bolt and put the empty casing back in my chamber.

I remember thinking to myself "I'm going to get mauled" and just before I managed to clear the chamber and get a second round in, the bear stopped maybe 10 feet from me and cut into the treeline. I had to hike out and call a friend and when he finally got up, we searched for 5 hours, but couldn't find the bear. I feel bad I wasn't able to retrieve the animal.

Anyway, great to be a part of the forum!
Old 10-02-2016, 06:34 PM

Default Newbie

Hey everyone. Have known about this site for years but never signed up. I live north of Edmonton and love to hunt and be outdoors. I don't get much time off work but when I do I am in the mountains or hunting and shooting. Looking forward to learning lots and getting on the Buy and Sell.

Cheers!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 PM

Live in Calgary and work a downtown job but like to get out in the woods as much as possible. Relatively new to hunting so looking to possibly get out this year with a few more seasoned hunters and continue to learn the craft. Mainly interested in deer/elk and waterfowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 11:35 AM

Default New guy post

Hi all! been lurking around here for quite some time and it is about time that I make an introduction.

there is so much information here! love it!

I live in Calgary and am an avid fly fisher. I have fished all of the major rivers in the province. but my main focus is the southern drainages.

this year I have expanded my love of the outdoors to hunting, I am very excited to get out often and harvest myself some meat for the freezer.

should be a very interesting first hunting season for me. it'll be a lot like walking through a room with no lights on trying to feel my way through! but thanks to this forum there is abundant information and some really great people to get advice from!

thanks

Shannon
Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 PM

Hi all, I'm from the Red Deer area, been on here for a while and enjoy the forum. When I'm not working I can be found exploring trailers in my jeep or at a gun range somewhere, usually down in Medicine Hat. I've been trying to get into clay shooting lately but I've only found a few ranges I can shoot clays.