Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2016, 03:38 AM

Default intro

Hey everyone,

New on the thread. Living in Calgary but hopefully moving out of city in the next few years. Love camping (real camping in the bush). Long (couple days) Hikes. Wanting to get into hunting soon. Love fishing even though I haven't gotten the chance in a long time. Still waiting for my account to be approved. Looking forward to these threads learning and having fun!

Cheers!
JM
Old 10-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Default New to the forum

Hey all. I'm new to the forum and just want to introduce myself. I Have been living just outside of Cold Lake for the last 12 years and have developed quite a heavy fishing addiction!!! Not much for hunting but I have taken a bull moose and a couple white tail in the past. I have a great wife that does not necessarily encourage how much I fish but she tolerates it, which is all a guy can ask for!!! I spend most of my time chasing lake trout around Cold Lake but I also enjoy getting out and catching walleye and perch in some of the other hidden gems in the Lakeland. I just bought a 21 foot jet boat this summer so I have been playing quite a bit on the NSR learning to catch sturgeon. I run a fishing charter as well based out of Cold Lake and have a lot of fun meeting new people and taking them fishing. Right now I'm gearing up for the hard water season by building 4 ice shacks that I'm going to rent out on Cold Lake. Im looking forward to sharing and learning some fishing tips and tricks with my fellow outdoorsmen/women on here.

Cheers and tight lines!!!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:19 PM

Welcome aboard, don't fish much myself so can't offer any advice there.

However I like to build and hodgepodge stuff up, so make sure you post some pictures when you're done

V
Old 10-18-2016, 11:08 PM

Default Hi

Hello all. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Was given a link and told to join. I recently(shot my first rifle in 2015) found my passion for hunting big game and love everything about it. Shot my first whitetail buck last hunting season. I live in Rocky Mountain House Ab and hope to meet more like minded people and learn as much as I can.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:11 PM

Welcome Red. This is a great place for info
Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 PM

Default Hello.

Hi guys and gals. My name is Adam and I am new to the outdoorsmen forum. I just joined around the beginning of the month. I live and work in Calgary and grew up in southern Alberta. I have been around hunting, fishing and just being outdoors and in the wilderness all my life. I haven't done alot of fishing in the past few years but still enjoy dropping a line when I can find time to do so. I can say that I am a avid hunter though. I started big game hunting as a young lad with my father and since then I have grown into a full blown elkaholic. I look forward to meeting some new and friendly like minded hunters and outdoorsmen and thanks for having me on the forum.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:44 PM

Default Hi

Hey from a little further east than you guys, checking in from SK-Would love to come hunt out west sometime.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:20 PM

Default hey

Hey all, my name is Blair. Just joined yesterday and am checking everything out little by little. Seems like a good place to bs and pick up some tips and tricks for the outdoors. Looking for a new gun and a buddy directed me here so we'll see how it goes This is post 3 out of 20 so I don't have to keep proving im not a robot

cheers
Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 AM

Default New

Good Morning

Been on this site for a little while now just never introduced myself
name is Lucas and this is my first year hunting so far loving it and this site has alot of great ideas and post keep up the awesome work
Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Hi. I've been on the site for about 1.5 months. I'm a try hard long range shooter, and hunter even though I haven't gotten anything in 2 years. Hunted for moose calf in Ontario (basically trying to shoot a unicorn... Less than 3% success rate where I was) I have a bow but it's not functioning right now due to tweaked string post and don't have time to fix it.
I reload for rifles, no handguns anymore but maybe again someday. Love 7mm rem mag, and irrationality opposed to anything 308 calibre for no reason. 7mm for life
Old 11-03-2016, 07:09 AM

hello there! absolutely new to the forum so wanna introduce myself first. my name's Daniel and i'm a big fan of everything outdoors - camping, hiking and boating in particular. bener tried hunting actually but set my mind on trying it, so hope to find here the badly needed knowledge
Old 11-10-2016, 08:19 AM

Howdy and Welcome!
Cat
Old 11-13-2016, 08:19 PM

Default Introduction

Hi All. Grew up in Northern Saskatchewan. Spent lots of time shooting and playing bush kid up north. I live in Southern Alberta now. Like my firearms, knowledge of it, and there is a lot to learn. I started with a Red Ryder at 4, and Anschutz .22 at 5 and it's gone up from there. Got into the Semi-Automatic and Black gun world a few years back. I think now's it time to refine a little. Stepping back into the bolt gun world of discipline, focus and patience. That and Night Vision. Anyone know the forum to discuss/learn about NOD and IR use??
Thanks
Old 11-16-2016, 02:26 PM

Default British Canadian, New to Hunting

Hi, I live in the Morninville area, I've been in Canada 8 years come Christmas Eve.I'm now a Canadian citizen. I've wanted to learn to hunt since before I came here. I did a bit of fishing back home and some clay pigeon shooting. Home is the UK. I've recently passed my CFSC and am going to take the Hunter Education Certificate ASAP. So hopefully next year will be my first hunting season. I'm going to be looking for someone who will show me the ropes, Male or Female. As a married Woman I'd like to learn from someone who can teach good safe practices and is a dedicated hunter.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:45 PM

Default Morinville Buddy

Hi

Last edited by dwyldethang; 11-16-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Deleting post
Old 11-16-2016, 03:53 PM

Default Morinville Buddy

Just getting to grips with how to use this forum. I'm from Morinville area and should be out hunting next season maybe we can team up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterwinds View Post
Hi all,
I have recently moved to the Morinville area and am looking to get more into hunting. Have always been into fishing, hiking and most things outdoorsy but it's hard to find other young females interested in hunting, archery, fishing, sports in general...
I have followed my boyfriend around hunting for a couple years and then harvested a doe last year, now I am looking to get out on my own and be more independent (not be a ball and chain). Work in agriculture so lucky enough to have a lot of permission in the area and around Hoadley, just no idea what I'm doing. Goose hunting is definitely an interest as well, went out a couple times last year with no success but still fun! Maybe get into bow hunting in the future as well.
Proud new owner of a 308 and itching to use it. If you are or know of a male or female heading out around the area this fall and wouldn't mind a sidekick let me know!
Until then I will continue to lurk around the forum....
Cheers
Old 11-16-2016, 04:15 PM

Default Awesome Thread Cat

Hello all as its my pleaser too read of where others are from and what their passion is.

I'm born and raised here in Lacombe AB on family farm of cattle and grain,,, the oil patch work force took me in as it allowed me to start traveling much of Western Canada. Not long after that I decided to travel all of the Americas from Alaska to Mexico. "Many trips under the shoes."

Fishing, Harvesting, power-sports and time hanging out at lakes, rocks, and trees alone is my passion. "Once in awhile I team up with my older pals with like minded interests."

Target shooting, hiking, quading, bon-fire lunches with afternoon naps.

Sorry for the improper grammar and wording as education did not pan out for me." still learning how to improve it after 50+ years.

Pal Don
Old 11-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Hello from Burnaby new to forum

Hello Yes am Jay from Burnaby BC
And I like the great outdoors! Have not been out much the last 10 years but am trying to get out now. Love shooting and collecting. I have several guns and I like watches to.

Wife three kids and a grandson! So things are good.
I would like to do some trading here and get feed back on build question and recipes for good food.

So talk to you later.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:51 PM

Default Myself

Well...I'm an old guy..60! Lived for the outdoors all my life in South Eastern Alberta and now live north west of Edmonton. Spent most the time on a farm raising cattle and alot of hours on a horse. Done alot of rifle hunting and fishing all my life. Quit rifle hunting a few years ago because and took up the bow. Really like the peace and tranquility of bow hunting and managed to get a few nice animals but the QUIET time in the wilderness is the best part. I have now gotten rid of the horses and switched to Mules...yes MULES. I ride, pack, rope, drag logs and take my mules places that would kill a horse. Spend alot of time in the mountains on mules during the summer and spend equal amount of time on my sled in the mountains in the winter. No city life for this guy....The only lights I like to see are the Northern Lights!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 AM

Hello,

Been in Alberta for 10 years now I hunt Elk unsuccessfully not for lack of trying almost die every time I go but it's always an adventure haha. I also hunt mule and white and have recently got back into Birds as I am training my young black lab Riker.

I have been using the forum for years for information but have just become a member. glad to be apart of AO seems like a lot of good conservation minded folks on here.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:58 AM

Smile hello

Hi just introducing myself .
im British and a permenant resident . been in Canada 6 years yesterday.
I am ex British Army . and am used to military weapons the 7.62 SLR 5.56 SA80 and more. im going to be takeing all training need for and applying for resrticted licence Jan Feb 2017. it is my hope to get a lee enfield 303 british to start with,
i used to shoot them when i was 13 years old in the army cadets in the UK.
Im starting to look at adds to build up knowledge of market prices and availabilty . any practical advise would be welcome

ps cant spell sorry
Old 12-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Banned

Hi everybody. New guy here in Calgary. Been into guns a few years now and just got hunter's ed, too late for this season I think but looking forward to learning the ropes and what not.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:22 PM

Default Museum faith dr

Hi All,

What can I a say...I love trying new guns out, then trading or selling them to move on to the next project. Looking forward to making a few deals and hope to provide you with a new rifle or accessories. I acquired a lot of Bell and Carlson stocks, gun barrels, and shotguns.

Chat Soon!
Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 AM

Default Hi

Hello to everyone,
This is my first post on AOF although I have been visiting the forum every day.
I love anything outdoors and try to spend as much time as possible out about.
Lately, I been doing target shooting a lot and love it too. Putting some rifles together for longer range and been thinking about posting the results on this forum.
Sam
Old 12-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Howdy Y'all and Merry Christmas!
Cat
Old 12-30-2016, 08:11 PM

Post Howdy!!

Howdy Everyone,

Great forum

Born and raised in London, UK, moved to Calgary, Alberta 5 years ago (another Brit, sorry), and really enjoying it so far, love the people and City. Have been reading these forums for a while and was finally allowed to join (originally I admitted I don't like the Alberta Outdoors during winter time if its too cold!!)

Went to SAIT and completed my Millwright and was working in Calgary Airport until laid off. Now halfway through my 4th class power engineering with NAIT and looking for a co -op or something similar. Currently working in oil sands as a security guard. In my spare time I have been volunteering at AARCS (Alberta Animal rescue crew society) for the past 4 years and have actually gotten into watching ice hockey (Go Flames!!). Have never tried hunting or shooting, actually never even seen a real gun (I thought a 308 was a car), but may try it sometime, starting slow, maybe shooting fish with a water pistol..

Have a great 2017 everyone, cheers

Last edited by power engineer 76; 12-30-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Just wanted to say hi. New member here. I'm from Saskatoon but I seem to end up on Alberta outdoors following lots of internet searches so there must be a wealth of info here.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Hi, very new to this forum, can never stop learning and I have been pretty impressed with the knowledge base here, and everyones willingness to share. Been into firearms in one way or another all my life, fondness for the Tikka and CZ rifles and WW2 historical pieces. Thanks for allowing me on board.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:16 PM

Hi long time lurker I guess I should introduce myself. I'm an Albertan of 20 years. Manitoban before that. I grew up hunting but never got going in Alberta till a couple years ago when I inherited some guns and started shooting a bit. Got my first deer this year and I'm hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 10:22 PM

Default Guns

Hello Im New Here And Just Had One Question For I Am From Florida But Live In Missouri I Have A Florida License I Was Told I Can't Be Issued A Fire Arm Because I Am Not From Here My Friend Has A Gun That I Would Like To Buy How Can I Get The Registration For The Gun Switched Over To Me