Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 01:51 PM

Hey all,

Born and raised in Edmonton but living in Vancouver currently. Plans are to make the move back soon so starting to re-familiarize myself with the AB hunting. Thanks to all the contributors here that provide highly valued info!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM

I just figured that I didn't say hello yet. Since I am here for quite a bit now, I should do that now.

I live 70km south of Edmonton, immigrated to Canada in 2014 (from Germany). I like to fish and to hunt and would also like to make my trappers licence this year. I appreciate the help I got so far out of this platform and hope that I can help somebody too once in a while.

If there is a trapper out there close to my area who appreciates some company from a guy who would like to learn stuff, let me know.

Cheers!
Old 01-14-2017, 02:20 PM

Default New to Forum

Hi all
This is my first message on this forum. I am a left handed shooter and I was looking through the classifieds and found a 22 I am drooling over. It is a left hand Savage and I cannot reply to the ad because I am a new member. I would love it if some one could help out a new member to connect to this person. Just asking. Hope that is not against the rules.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM

Smile New to the forum

Hi there! I just wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself!

I have come back to hunting after a 25 year hiatus. I used to hunt/fish with my dad all the time, then I got married and moved to the city. After a total life change and a wonderful (new!) husband, I'm happy to say I'm back into hunting and fishing.

I'd forgotten how much I love being in the bush and on the water. My husband loves this forum so I thought I'd join so I can learn!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:21 PM

Hi All

Been a member so a few years but don't think I ever introduced myself. I have slowly been getting into hunting over the last 6 yrs. I have a bow and have done a lot of hiking with it during the months of September and October. I haven't harvested anything with it yet. The las couple of years I have started to get into water fowl hunting. I took my 4 yr old son along this fall and he hung out in the lay down blind with me. We got a couple Canadians and a few mallards. He had a blast. We are really looking forward to spring snow goose season. How many others out there hunt with the kids? Any tips would be great. Thanks

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 12:35 PM

Default Greetings from Pharmer

Just joined as I found this site of interest. While I have lived in Ohio, Wisconsin, Kansas, Indiana and now back to Kansas my recreational interest has been fishing in Canada. Initially (1961) in Ontario, Winnepeg River/Locke Bay but then stepped out into what was then wilderness (1970) Mirond Lake in Saskatchewan on the 55th parallel. This was before the Hanson Lake Rd was built, or at least much of it.

Early in those visits north I was honored to run into A. Karras who had just published "North to Cree Lake" which included a visit to Mirond Lake. Karras was again visiting Mirond while we were camped there. I was fortunate to have him autograph a paperback copy of "North to Cree Lake" which I loaned out too many times until it was well worn. To prevent further damage I bought a second copy from Amazon and gave the autographed copy to my son who was just 6 months old on our first trip to Mirond. In 2015, 45 years after our first visit we made our last trek to the area as my wife's health no longer permits us to travel. During that time the area went from "primitive" to modern - so sad...
Old 01-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Default Hi everyone

Hi all, thanks for letting me be a part of your forum. As my username suggests i hail from the land of the long white cloud, New Zealand. I travel to Canada most winters ( your summer) for work. I hunt alot at home particularly red deer. Im also an avid longrange hunter and dabble a lil with compound bows. Big game fishing is also a large part of my life, im blessed enough to live withing spitting distance of the ocean and access to top notch hunting for a range of game. We have no season for deer here, infact they are regarded as a pest and can be hunted anytime with no tags or regulations as to what we can harvest. Work revolves around operating heavy machinery and flying helis. I will be travelling back to Manitoba in late April, it would be great to gain some hunting buddies. I do have my PAL and so far have a 17hmr there that i use primarily for gopher shooting. Thanks again for the add.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:00 PM

Default Hello Everyone

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking around the forum for a long while and never introduced myself. I am 29 years old and live north of Calgary, originally from Saskatchewan. I have been into hiking, camping and the outdoors for as long as I can remember, and shooting and hunting for about 4 years now. Other then a sea fishing excursion on Prince Edward Island 5 years ago, it has been a long time since I have been out fishing. This year I hope to spend a lot more time out fishing and hunting; and also spending as much time as I can getting out with the family to enjoy the outdoors!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Brand new skeptical but optimistic First Nation member.

Umba Wast'e(good day) fellow outdoorsmen. I have been viewing this site for quite some time. Was a little discouraged to sign up because of all the native bashing that goes on here. I'm an optimist individual and don't judge a few individuals that don't understand nor to educate themselves on our history.This beautiful continent we refer to as Turtle Island Has always provided our people and the newcomers with an abundance of game( are brothers and sisters) I feel that I could bring a good joke, share a story or give advice and vice versa. I hunt whitetail(sijoop thun), prefer mule(thinde thubun). I hunt Ta(moose)but love to hunt and will drop everything I'm doing to hunt bachidin(elk). I have a philosophy I like to hunt by. Only shoot it if your going to eat it, and don't hunt in the spring and plant in the fall.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 PM

Default Howdy

New here. Big on hunting and shooting. Right now focused on knockin down yotes. Tryin hard for a wolf. Drayton valley. Cheers
Old 01-23-2017, 10:03 PM

Default New to the forum

Hi there,

I am new to the forum, My name is Viking Caliber. I am 37 years young and living in Calgary since 2005.
Grew up in the hills around Victoria BC. I am a Veteran having served for 10 years in the Canadian Military. I'm new to hunting and want to officially go in the fall (hoping to). I have fished and camped for years, just started backcountry camping 2 years ago. Just recently got the family into target shooting (dying to find new place since homestead is closed, anyone know of a good place out in indian graves?) I mostly like to be outdoors with my family and anything militar. I am mostly a private type of person.

Trying to find a group of like minded good people who like to camp and shoot at targets, or who like to do outdoors activities and shoot.
Did I mention shooting?

Viking Caliber
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, what's your name?
"My name's Bob Fliber!"
Bob, what do you do?
"I'm in artillery!" Thank you, Bob.
Can we play anything for you?
"Anything! Just play it loud! Okay?"
Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Sioux 1876

welcome to the forum.

What area do you live in?

Viking Caliber
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-24-2017, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up Introducing myself

Hello, just introducing myself on here. I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta, originally from B.C. and as well lived in the Yukon for a while. I love to Fish, Hunt and Prospect, I love panning for Gold. I have a life long dream to move back to the Yukon and live off grid. Thanks for the invite to the forum.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:00 PM

Default Hey there

Just came home from a too long stay out on the West Coast...17 or so years.
Glad to be back.
Need to get back in the know on the regs and meat into the freezer.
Now located in beautiful Rocky Mountain House.
Have some decent video gear if anyone has the desire to film what they do out in the wilds.

Last edited by GregChar; 02-02-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: forgot location
Old 02-05-2017, 11:05 AM

Been a member for awhile but never posted anything until now.
Live in Strathmore, before that Meaford Ontario where I finished my career in the CAF. Recreational shooting interests me the most while I have maintained my hunting lic. May get out yotee hunting this spring.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:08 AM

Welcome and Thanks for your service!
Strathmore is a nice town, close to wwbirds' place and wild pheasant hunting!
Cat
Old 02-06-2017, 01:32 AM

Hi members,

Another long time lurker, I have always loved visiting this site for your vast collective knowledge, and much warmth and humor. Now a proud new member, I'm taking this opportunity to introduce myself. I'm a nearly retired IT guy and a former long haul trucker who still gets out there once in awhile for the adventure of it.

Always a city kid (Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary), I was actually born in rural Saskatchewan and rural family roots provided opportunities the spend time on relatives' grain and livestock farms, as well as a few summers at my uncle's fishing camp in northern Saskatchewan. Aside from camp chores, my cousins and I did a lot of fishing, boating and dirt bike trail riding.

Also, my dad took us fishing and camping when he had time away from a demanding job, and the Sunday afternoon picnic and drive in the country was a regular family event. He let us drive a lot on rural gravel roads and I started learning on his "3-in-the-tree" standard when I was just 8.

My wife -- a rare Calgary native these days (it seems everyone is from SK) -- loves the outdoors as much as I do and we spend as much time camping as we can. The kids have never known a summer without at least one good camping trip. Tenting was the mode until the kids got a bit bigger (and the dog -- but that's another story from our last wet night in the tent), so we decided to start a coach conversion project that never ends. Lots of fun!

We also hike and explore back country roads on day trips. Now we are getting into sport shooting, starting with a 10/22 for targets and plinking just to get a comfort level. (I have not shot a firearm since my youth). We next want to get a shotgun to try the clay target sports. My goal is to do some hunting and fill the freezer, but I love wildlife and first want to know I have the skills to drop what I hit more often than not. (A big surprise, my son got me a compound bow for Christmas. I know very little about bows but look forward to giving it a try -- YOLO).

Work, elderly family and kids' school/university keep us tied to the city for now, but we would love to buy an acreage when we can. Even though we live on the very edge, the city seems to keep closing in on us and attacks our very nature!

Having much more to learn than contribute here, I expect to spend more time doing what I have in the past, lurking, but appreciate being a member.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 AM

Default New to the site

Hello to all!!
I'm here to buy and sell cuz I Love Guns!!!Avid hunter and target shooter Grew up in B.C. and Alberta with great respect for the outdoors. I like to read the forums but would rather meet a new friend at the range where real life happens rather than spend too much time on computer
Old 02-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Default new guy

Hey all, signed up because the love for guns and the outdoors brought me here, avid hiker and target shooter, plus I am slowly creeping into the world of hunting. I originally lived in Grande Cache when I came to alberta almost 5 years ago, left because of work reasons and I miss it terribly, I moved to just north of Edmonton and would like to venture more into the world of hunting now.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:25 PM

Hi,
I'm from BC and new-ish to hunting. Just looking for more knowledge and more places to buy gear...
Old 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Well this is embarrassing. All you new folks introducing yourselves and us long time members saying nothing.

It ain't right I tell ya.

So let me introduce myself to you new folks. The long time members think they know all there is to know about me anyway.

For starters, my name is Jim and I am 62 years young, almost 63.
My ancestors were mostly from Scotland and England, but I have relatives who can trace their heritage to just about every race and continent in the world.

I was born and raised on a homestead at Carcajou Alberta. That's half way between Manning and High Level. There were 16 of us, not counting mom or dad.

I've lived almost all of my life in Alberta, most of it in the Peace River district.
I lived in Wetaskiwin while attending high school and lived in Vancouver for almost a year shortly after I got married the first time. That one left me and a few years ago I remarried and am living happily ever after now.

My dad was a trapper/homesteader. More trapper then anything. Dad wasn't ever good at farming.
He grew up in Margret's Cove Nova Scotia. His dad was a deep sea fisherman.
My mom was a Ranch hand from southern Alberta.

I learned to hunt and trap almost as soon as I could walk. We were so far off the beaten path that my first trip to town was when I was about ten years old.

I got my first rifle when I was 12 and shot my first Moose that same year, with that rifle. I was even a big game guide for a few years.

When my dad died I inherited his registered trap line, which I had been trapping for several years as his junior. I let that line go to a family member a couple of years ago because I am no longer physically capable of wilderness trapping.

For most of my life I worked on heavy equipment, some times as operator or Truck driver, and for a bit as a heavy duty mechanic.
Mostly I drove truck for those companies as my primary responsibility.

I've driven about every make and model of diesel truck and hauled most types of loads that commonly get hauled down our highways.

In short I've worn a lot of hats over the years but mostly I was a truck driver.
I've hauled general freight coast to coast, I've hauled logs and houses and hogs. I've hauled camps and cats and gravel. There isn't much I haven't hauled.

I'm a certified forestry regen surveyor, I was a class one driver, and now I'm a self employed Entrepreneur/inventor and I sell trail camera mounts I invented and build myself.

My passions are hunting Moose, photography, fishing and family, not necessarily in that order.

I hunt and fish first to feed my family and second for pleasure. I don't hunt for trophies but I have no issues with those that do.

I also like to hunt about anything that is legal, And I love salt water fishing.

I'm a bird watcher, nature nut and I believe in conservation and abiding by the law. I also like building bird houses and bird feeders.
In fact I like building, anything, with anything.

I can weld and own my own Mig weldor. I can build a house or a chair. I like to invent, I like to teach. I like people, normal people.

I don't like perfect people.

And I was a moderator on this site, probably one of the worst moderators ever. But hey, at least I tried. It's a tough job that not many could do.
I was one that couldn't. Besides, I have a company to build.

So that's a small glimpse into what I'm about and where I'm from.

In closing I'd like to say welcome to all. I for one am glad you are here.

Watch your step though, there are trouble makers about. There always is anywhere on the net.
But if you can avoid being sucked into their trouble making games, you can learn a lot here and make some good friends.

I say with all sincerity, I feel honored to be a part of this online community.
And I can honestly say I've met several Alberta Outdoorsman members and every one I've met was top self people. The best of the best.

I've also made a few enemies, but no one is perfect and I'm no exception.

Welcome to AO forums.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Intro

30 yrs old originally from central BC went to college in Lethbridge. I used to guide in the Yukon, something I miss dearly these days but can't be free forever! I love every kind of outdoor activity from hunting/fishing to back country skiing. I've been a member for years just posting now as I find I have time while waiting for a broken ankle to heal. I also need twenty discussion posts before I can sell some of my excess gear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybrand View Post
30 yrs old originally from central BC went to college in Lethbridge. I used to guide in the Yukon, something I miss dearly these days but can't be free forever! I love every kind of outdoor activity from hunting/fishing to back country skiing. I've been a member for years just posting now as I find I have time while waiting for a broken ankle to heal. I also need twenty discussion posts before I can sell some of my excess gear
Howdy and Welcone!
Jump into the hunting and gun forums and it will not take long!
Remember you need a location and price in your adds!
Cat
Old 02-23-2017, 12:10 AM

Hey yall, name is Jake
Im a Husband, a father to three and a pipefitter by trade. In my early years i breathed huntin and fishin but 6 days of a month has put a hinderence on that there. Originally from Powell River BC i was a west coast black tail bow huntin nut then met my wife and moved to NS. Never did get to hunt there before we recently moved to GP but i did spear a fair few smelts in the creek before leavin. Snared a few rabbits and cooked up some pheasants but now we're in our Alberta chapter of our lives. My passions are bowhuntin (compound and traditional) and fly fishin. But seein these wide open fields im due to get my rifle license here soon. Thanks for welcomin me in your forum and tights lines and tight groups.
Cheers
Swede

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 04:19 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Hey yall, name is Jake
Im a Husband, a father to three and a pipefitter by trade. In my early years i breathed huntin and fishin but 6 days of a month has put a hinderence on that there. Originally from Powell River BC i was a west coast black tail bow huntin nut then met my wife and moved to NS. Never did get to hunt there before we recently moved to GP but i did spear a fair few smelts in the creek before leavin. Snared a few rabbits and cooked up some pheasants but now we're in our Alberta chapter of our lives. My passions are bowhuntin (compound and traditional) and fly fishin. But seein these wide open fields im due to get my rifle license here soon. Thanks for welcomin me in your forum and tights lines and tight groups.
Cheers
Swede

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Welcome Jake.

There are some good fly fishing streams south of GP on the road to Cache Creek. There should be some west as well but I've never been out that way so I don't know what's there. But it looks good on the map and it's not too far to the foot hills.

Jim

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-06-2017, 12:05 PM

Default Bears

Cant wait to get out this spring and plug a bear!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 PM

more hunting out here it seems then fishing in a boat
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 PM

Default Hi

Hi guys,
Finally found a local forum to be apart of and im very excited to learn fr this big site! Im in the army, been in for 8 years now. Im a tanker.
Hunter
Long range shooter
Overall just enjoy being outdoors with my guns and friends!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM

I don't live in Alberta yet, moving out there this summer. I figured I would get acquainted with some folks out there, and see whats what in terms of outdoorsy stuff (hunting, fishing, boating). This is a great resource.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi View Post
I don't live in Alberta yet, moving out there this summer. I figured I would get acquainted with some folks out there, and see whats what in terms of outdoorsy stuff (hunting, fishing, boating). This is a great resource.
WELCOME ABOARD. PREPARE TO ENJOY THE FUN....