Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Can't wait to get exchanging some firearms! Feed the beast lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Thought I would give a Canadian forum a try. Little tried of the American forums that have users that feel they have absolute knowledge in their opinion. Live in Ontario, dream of living in the far north. Enjoy hunting products that are simple and just plain work. Maybe bit of an Optics snob too but hey nobody is perfect 😏
Old 04-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Been lurking around this forum for about a year. Doing lots of reading. Lots of good information here.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Hi All,

Calgary based fly-fisher and bird hunter. Browsed, but never replied. Thanks for all the good info on here!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Welcome , guys!
Cat
Old 04-24-2017, 07:55 PM

I've been hanging out reading the forums for a bit now, and finally decided to sign up. I been hunting/shooting and handloading for near 50 years and their is only one forum left in SK......

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Welcome to you new fellas.

There are times that this place can seem a bit unfriendly, don't let that fool you, there are a lot, a lot of really great guys and gals on this site.

I just spent a very enjoyable weekend at the High Prairie gun show.
I was supposedly selling my product but instead several AO members dropped by and we got to visiting. It turned into more of an unofficial AO member gathering then a gun show sales table.

I'm pretty sure I missed a few sales because I was having so much fun visiting, and I'd do that same thing again if I had the chance.

There are a lot of people who don't post or post very seldom but they are members, more importantly they are good people and they know hunting, fishing or trapping and are happy to help another person.

They just don't want the drama some members bring to many threads, so they help behind the scene.

There is a lot of good information here, lots of members will do their best to help, or are willing to just be a friend, the trick is to see through the smoke and mirrors of the vocal minority.

But, I got to warn you, this place can be addictive. Get in too deep and you may not be able to escape.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-09-2017, 12:23 AM

Default New comer

Hello everyone,

First time on this forum. I'm a relatively new target shooter (and reloader) making the move from Ontario to Calgary for work reasons this summer.

I'm primarily a rifle and archery guy but dabble in everything, had my hands on my first pistol just a few months ago and now looking at black powder and trap with interest.... My wallet really doesn't like me.

Looking forward to meeting you all!
Old 05-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Hello !

Long time lurker here, I enjoy reading through the threads.
I'm a fishing/shooting enthusiast in Olds, AB. Excited for winter to be over and get out for some fun
Old 05-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Just got back from the first fishing trip of the season, on open water.

We had trouble locating them but we did catch a few and brought home one Pike each.
It was wonderful being on the water again, and we are already planning on our next trip.

Now, the reason I post that here. If any of you new guys live in the Peace River area, can keep a secret and know how to catch Perch, I would love to have you fill an empty seat in my boat.

I know shameless self interest, but hey, at least I'm not afraid or too old to say I need to learn.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-12-2017, 07:23 AM

Default New Member

Just joined up, hoping to make 2017 my first official year of hunting. Going after deer mainly, would love to get me an Elk or two some day. A gracious friend of mine seems willing to help.

Looking forward to what I can learn from and (hopefully) contribute to this forum!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Hey guys, I've read the forum for a while now and appreciate the knowledge shared. Just here to learn and hopefully have some input of my own. Thanks .
Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 AM

Good day all, I wanted to tell you a little about myself. I have been a member on the board for a couple of years now, I found this site from a friend at work. I moved from Ontario several years ago to Alberta. Best decision ever. I try to spend as much of my time out fishing and hunting taking advantage all this province has to offer.
This year we are looking at going fishing at every chance, We are always trying new lakes. If any one has some suggestions for centural and north Alberta That would be great. Perch is a hard fish to come by here it seems.

Thanks all
Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Hi Folks
I am new to the site- figured I would say hello to the group!
I live in BC, but spend a lot of time working in AB.
Hunting, fishing, dirt biking, quadding and relaxing is what I pursue when work is complete.
Seems like there are many like minded people here!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Hello everybody.

My name's David and I've been raised in Calgary my entire life. I'm still a young guy at 22 and exploring my career options at the moment. I've got a part time job which is better than 0 in this economy!

I'll be honest here, for most of my life I was a nerdy guy behind the computer all day playing video games and whatnot. But that all changed last winter when some friends invited me to a rural cabin for a week. Nature was breathtaking to say the least. Hiked and explored the area, etc... really opened my eyes! Been missing this for most my life!

Now this summer will be my first time fishing and hoping to make it something I do every year. Will be starting out with my father and some friends who's heck of a lot more experienced than me. Never hunted before either but hoping to try it down the line. Plans also being made to do some backcountry camping. I also picked up some woodworking with some old hand-me-down equipment from a friend... still a beginner but this stuff is funner than I have could have ever imagined.

This place's got a ton of great information and I'm glad to be here. Cheers
Old 05-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Smile hey guys

hey there im jdf96ca (james) im a hunting enthusiast love fishing out in the wild and also a photographer hoping to buy and sell some good items and hopefully make someone's life a better place
Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Default Howdy from Calgary

Hello all
Fairly new to the forum and have been lurking around so figured I'd finally introduce myself. My name is Paolo and I'm from Calgary and just started fishing again. Hadn't been out for over 20 years since I was a young teen but figured I'd pick it up again and teach my 4 young boys. I've been out three times once to get the hang of it again and once to teach my 8 and 9 year old and the third time to let my 4 Year old have some fun. Unfotunately we've been skunked all three times and snapped a rod tring to free a snag. So any tips would be appreciated.
And I also like to go play with some gophers on family land. They get along great with the .22.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:12 AM

Smile

Hi Everyone,

I’m Matthew pls note, not Matthew Perry..
I was grew up at Wichita Falls, Texas and got relocated recently to Willowdale after my marriage. From my childhood I did enjoy my camping trips with my friends and family. But those were with my friends, touring on their vehicles. I am too happy that I recently bought a shared 6x6 Automatic Transmission Argo, that am planning to use for my upcoming trips into the wild. Recently I had also gone in a passion for photography with my beloved wife Annette. We are planning on scheduling trips now and then on all occasions possible.
We would really appreciate suggestions on locations where we can utilize our time both in our passion for photography and travel.

Eh? So waiting for your responses...
Old 05-31-2017, 06:27 AM

Howdy!
Are you still living Stateside, Mathew?
There are a few members here that live south of the border......
Cat
Old 05-31-2017, 09:26 PM

Default Am bot Matthew Perry

Hi

Yes, I stay along the stateside.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:36 AM

Default Old but New

Hello everyone,

Haven't been around fly fishing or rifles coming up on 3 decades. I'd say it is long overdue time to get reaquainted with both. Can't decide where to start!

Further, I would like to apologize in advance for any noob questions that rankle and offend the more experienced members of this forum. As they will be coming, I assure you!

Regards,

Jeff
Old 06-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Hello, everybody! I'm 35, I like hiking and archeology, try to do both at the same time. My another hobby is collecting and making miniature firearms. I have been on this theme for many years, but think it's time to broaden horizons Hope to learn much interesting information and to find a couple of friends here.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Good day everyone,

I'm Yan and lives in Ontario. This in post 1 of the required 20! I'm obviously a gun nut and also am avid outdoorsman! Pleasure to talk with y'all!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Hello from Sherwood Park

Hello,

Obviously I'm new here.

I'm originally from southern alberta but spent 5 years in Banff and a couple up north before settling here in The Park.

Ive been into shooting for a 20 years or so but have never been hunting. Id really like to start. Start simple. Deer and ducks.

Id like to get out fishing a bit more. I am shopping for a canoe and trolling motor to get my 2 small kids out for trout or walleye.

We have a small RV and are always looking for spots to camp and adventure within 4 hours or so of Edmonton.

See you out there.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Greetings from Strathcona County

Hey all!
Long time reader, first time poster.

Too many posters to thank for a ton of information I've read on the AO forum.

About myself, avid camper and lately enjoying shooting, but not a hunter.

Look forward to reading more posts!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:02 PM

Hello, Just joined, but I've been creeping this forum for a few years now, Mostly on CGN but peeked over here a few times. I enjoy camping with the family and target shooting with firearms.

Just got into Archery and maybe by this time next year I will try my hand at hunting even though I am clueless in that field.

In the Edmonton area and work shift work.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 PM

Default new hunter

Hello all
I am from calgary area and love being outdoors hiking camping fishing and new to hunting. I have been out hunting only a couple times over the last season so not alot of experience.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:14 AM

Default Long Overdue

Yep. Same as a few I suspect. Been reading the forums (especially on quiet night shifts) for a while. Starting to post a bit more lately.

As the name says, originally from Newfoundland. Been in AB quite a few years now. Haven't done much hunting, but I do try to get out fishing a few times a year at the minimum, if for no other reason than to go play with my boat. Haha. Had the kid up to Pierre Greys Lake for her first fishing trip a few years back - not only did she catch the first one, but she caught the biggest one that day. And she was getting bored with it too until she hooked into that trout -
must have been about 14" or better. Dang proud of her.

Anyways, seems like a decent crowd here for the most part. If I've got $0.02 to add, I'll add it where I can.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Smile Another Calgarian

Hello all. Came across this site a few years ago and peeked in occasionally. After a bit of moving around I'm back in Calgary with a bit more time to enjoy. Hoping to pick up suggestions on outdoor activities to explore the province. Cheers
Old 07-29-2017, 05:09 AM

Hello
first time poster , but I have been lurking around for a long while. 36 living in Calgary . Looking to post on the whos looking for a hunting partner thread so thats where I am headed next !