Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Default Hello from Calgary

Hi all,
Tyler (Tarmac) here. I've lived in Calgary for 20 years (originally from BC). Love to hunt and fish. If I could trade my corporate suit for make a living in the mountains guiding, that would be a dream come true! lol.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Hi from 'over the pond'- Scotland.

Hi Guys, my name is Steve live in central Scotland UK, been shooting for numerous years, in a couple of syndicates on Roe/Red/Sika, do bit rough shooting on feathered game and bit of vermin control on the Fox, nothing as big as you guys have over there (mores the pity).

Found my way onto this forum as a mate of mine moved over to Edmonton about 18 months ago (non-shooter) so I was kinda just looking around to see if there was any hunting around the Edmonton area etc, as I might be inclined to pay him a visit, so looking forward to looking around the site & at the many pictures of which I'm sure I'll be envious, and if any of you guys know of anyone/guides etc around Edmonton area or close by feel free to give me advice along with all relevant 'Alien Shooter' info I need to know.

Cheers Steve.
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sportster 12g
Silver Sable Deluxe 12g
Miroku MS150 12g
Lanber Sportster 12g
Sportarmi 12g
Old 10-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Hello from northern Alberta/B.C.. My interest is extreme long range shooting.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Greetings all,

I am a guy in my late 40's that is totally new to hunting and shooting. I do have a bunch of outdoors experiance as much of my life has been spent in the mountains skiiing, hiking, rafting, running, kayaking, biking, and working on the mountain highways.

Was sitting around with my wife the other day and complaining about buying meat from the grocery store and out of the blue she suggested I go hunting next year with my inlaws... I was a bit surprised at the suggestion as we have very little contact with hunting/shooting culture. That being said, I love learning new things and the idea of learning about, buying, and walking around in the bush with a gun is appealing to me.

Just completed my PAL/RPAL this week and the form is in the mail. I hope to be at a range in couple months and learning to hunt bunnies once I am a good enough shot - then deer next season with the family and on my own.

This forum looks like a great place to learn and connect with other folks into hunting and shooting. Seems pretty respectful as well. I will try and not be too much of a pain in the butt on the political threads.

Anyone in the Calgary area want to go shooting once I have purchased a gun or have some company when they are out filling their tags, just give me a shout.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM

Default Nice to meet you

Hi,

I joined the forum hoping to use the buy/sell feature, and started reading while trying to build my post count to meet the 20 post threshold. What I found was an interesting community, which I'm excited to get to know better.

Started hunting late in life out of personal interest in being more involved in securing and processing my own food. Only been hunting for about 3 full seasons, and I would say I'm only starting get the hang of it now ahah. Didn't have much in the way of mentors until recently. As a result my first couple of hunts had me return empty handed but I liked being out in the forest and learning about new spots in the province. Since then I have been on successful goose, moose, and deer hunts. I shot my first deer this year; dropped it with a single shot at approx 200-250 yards (in a field w/permission). It was thrilling because I've worked pretty hard at developing my shooting skills, and had missed relatively easy shots in the past.

Anyways my love hunting and appreciating the outdoor grows more and more with each season. I am interested in learning to track/find deer in the forested areas (not an open field littered with the alfalfa they love lol); hand/reloading; becoming a better distance shooter; and maybe becoming a firearms course instructor some day in the future.

I also like to fish, but prefer to only fish for sustenance. I've had a hard time finding good fishing spots in Alberta, have deep sea fished off the coast of BC and in Mexico as well.

Looking forward to the discussion.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:22 AM

Default Hello Everyone..

Hi, I am a new member and I though, starting with greetings is the way to go

Thank You.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 AM

Oh and welcome to all other new members too

Last edited by Oliviadavid; 11-14-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 AM

Default New member Intro

Hello new member for United States, been lurking on the site for a while now, actually learnt a lot, finally decided to register.. feels good to be here.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:05 PM

Hey guys,

I'm located in Saskatoon but grew up in Lloydminster, so hopefully I'm welcome here!
Old 11-28-2017, 06:58 PM

Hey all.

New guy wanting to get into hunting with my son and son-in-law. My son in law grew up hunting in Nova Scotia and is wanting to get back into it here. I live in Calgary.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2017, 08:57 PM

Howdy, from just north of Calgary. Love to shoot, reload ammo, light gunsmithing, fishing, camping.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:27 PM

Default Hello

Hello all. I am new here, and to forums, so... real newbie here. Northern Alberta boy, hunting and fishing all my life, and pack in the mountains on horseback. For fun. One day I will make it a hunting trip, but for now it's just the most work-intense holiday you could know.
Always been a lever gun guy. (If anybody knows anybody looking to give away an original Winchester 1886 in 45-70 I would give it a loving home in my saddle scabbard) but my eyes are getting worse, so I have been moving into the bolt action scoped rifle world.
Also recently acquired a brand new fishing boat! No more dragging one to the shore, packin the motor fuel tank and such.... back er in and go. Now pretty upset the water went stiff... anyway, i hope thats enough for now.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:20 AM

Smile Nice to meet you :) I'm not to sure how forum's work..I haven't been on one before.

Hello everyone,

It's nice to meet you all. I have an acreage southwest of Lloydminster. There's nothing better than having a cup of coffee and watching the deer and elk out of the kitchen window when you first start your day.
I have two daughters 16 &11 who are full of grace and grit. We are actually selling the acreage, and going to try our hand at being 'townies' and downsize... that's going to be an interesting adventure. Just to figure out which town to settle in... that's the humdinger I'm facing right now. I just know it needs to be close to the mountains, quiet and close-knit, yet close to a city....not too close though.
I haven't spent much time on my hobbies for several years now, I love being outdoors though, there's nothing better than quadding, snowmobiling, swimming in a lake, fishing in a river and shed hunting or searching for the first crocuses of the year...There's pretty much something to be grateful for whenever you can breathe in the crisp air and can be in nature.
I think there's nothing better than processing your own meat for your family, I like to get my hands dirty, I haven't met a moose I didn't want to eat yet haha. I'm very fortunate as my neighbours and friends are avid hunters and I get to reap the rewards, so long as I cook for them. It's a pretty slick deal, right down to the homemade wine and games of cards, a girl can't complain about a set up like that!
I hope you're all having an amazing evening!
GraceandGrit
Old 12-09-2017, 08:15 AM

Default Howdy from Sunny Gunn

Hallo to all. I live on a wooded quarter section northwest of Edmonton, near Gunn.

Of guns, I have a few, but nothing very valuable or special. My all time favourite is my Savage 99F .250-3000 which is a tack driver even with its iron sights. My most recent purchase is a Chinese T97 bullpup, which is crude but great fun.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:50 AM

I don,t know where to post this, I'm looking to see if anyone on here could tell me what the duty might be on getting a set of dies out of the lower 48. With the shipping in the total would be 125 usd. thanks
Old 12-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Hey all. Glad to be here and look forward to the chat. Maybe buy a few toys. Wondering how to contact sellers about products. Tells me I don't have permission

Last edited by Clayrod; 12-21-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 AM

hello from southern AB.

I live in a small town in southern AB, have been shooting for years, but mostly action sports such as 3 gun. most of my days at the range are focused on my pistol and AR. I just picked up a Savage 10 TR (in .308) on black friday and have started searching for a scope. I am looking to get into some distance shooting, and maybe even some hunting. I have never been hunting before but it is something i would like to try. Ill have to keep an eye out for someone willing to show a newbie the ropes, but only after i finish my rifle setup and get some good range time with it so im familiar with it.

Looking forward to lurking the forums and soaking in some information

Cheers;
Shane
Old 12-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Hello from BC!
I am new into long distance shooting and am trying to find more info on scopes for my .338 Lapua
Old 01-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Default Hi from Edmonton

I found the forum looking into ice thickness on the local lakes last Dec. Liked what I saw and decided to come along for the ride. I've fished for as long as I can remember, started hunting at 16 (small game), took up bowhunting when I was in my 30's and got into rifles a couple of years ago. I'm now 57 and my love for being outdoors is strong as every (if only the body was LOL). Already crossed paths with a few folks on here and hope to meet many more of you. Tim
Old 01-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Smile Interested in getting into hunting

Hi there!

I am a resident of Calgary, moved here 3 years ago from Salmon Arm BC and have been spending most of my time outdoors hiking in the Rockies. The majority of my background is in vocational wilderness survival skills, and over half a decade of rock climbing.

Joined becasue I want to learn as much as possible about hunting and fishing in Alberta, and maybe get back into wilderness survival practice.

Excited to meet you all, and to learn as much as I can!
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Hello everyone

I am residing in Calgary. I come from Europe couple years ago. I am a Bass guy, but I think I am not going to have lucky here in AB. Just know try to learn about fly fishing

Thank you very much
Old 01-20-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Hello Hello!

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Nowell, I'm a 25 year old avid waterfowl and predator hunter from Viscount Saskatchewan. I work as an Industrial Electrician around Western Canada.

Being raised on the farm I took a big interest in hunting right off the hop. My grandfather took me under his wing and showed me a few tricks of the trade. Ive always been into decoying animals wether it be ducks/ geese or predators it never seems to get old, I try and let my friends do the shooting, although it is fun to get a bit of trigger time myself.

I hope to meet a few people on this forum who are as passionate about the sport of hunting as I am. If anyone lives in the Saskatchewan area don't be afraid to message me, good hunting partners are tough to come by these days.

If you would like to know more, check out our youtube channel, here you can catch a glimpse of the waterfowl hunting we enjoy.
Regards,
Nowell

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClc..._as=subscriber
Old 02-07-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Hello

Hi Everyone,
I have frequented this forum for years but only now had to make a profile in order to buy from a member. I'm from Edmonton and have been sporting in the outdoors for as long as I can remember. I look forward to becoming a part of this community.
Matt
Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 PM

Default Howdy folks

I was born and raised in a small wheat farming community in west central Saskatchewan but have called Calgary home for nearly 20 years. I spent my childhood hearing of hunting stories from friends and eagerly awaiting the day my Dad would finally let my brother and I take his dad's single shot Cooey .22 LR down from high hooks on the wall of the farm's shop. After that day finally arrived and we plinked away, I was hooked, but took awhile to get into hunting. Fast-forward to my first year of university, I got my PAL, first shotgun and have added a few rifles since. I've been water fowling off and on since at various lakes and sloughs in AB. Also had a memorable few years where we trekked out to SW Saskatchewan in drought years and laid waste to the gopher menace. That's nearly the extent of my success with rifles at this point, but I hope to get my first deer this fall. I look forward to chatting with the membership!
Old 03-14-2018, 06:09 PM

Hello, I live in central Alberta. Born and raised here and proud of it! Enjoy all things outdoors. Been hunting, fishing, quading, camping etc most of my life. I’ve followed this forum for awhile but never posted in this or any forum before. I would like to post at times though so thought I should introduce myself here first.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 AM

Default repair guy

I'm Jerry, working with a truck repair company, love the outdoors. Takin my canoe out and fishing or hunting are the best.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Intro

Been following AO for a while. Glad to be part of a great information forum. Enjoy t he outdoors in general. Hunting and fishing.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:06 PM

Default new member

Hello everyone i am new to this site as of this morning.Im 67 ,and live by Clyde Alberta .Born and raised in Alberta,Edmonton and Devon.I love to fish and go camping, my wife and I both love the outdoors,hence we live on an acerage .campfires just about everyday from spring till winter.Lots of good information here.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Default New member

I've been lurking for awhile. Might as well get posting. Being a Grandpa is the best job ever. Haven't really hunted in years. Just getting back into rifles in the last year or so. Enjoying .22 shooting mostly with my grandsons, gotta get the granddaughters going too.

Lorne in Fishing Lake
Old 04-08-2018, 09:20 AM

Welcome to the forum! Lots of rimfires around here to collect

WTB - BULK AMMO AROUND SOUTHERN ALBERTA
WTB - USED DUCKS UNLIMITED FIREARMS
WTB - USED WINCHESTER COMM FIREARMS
WTB - OLD / RUSTY / UNWANTED FIXER UPPERS
WTB - BROKEN FIREARMS
WTB - RIMFIRE / SHOTGUN MAGAZINES
WTB - ORIGINAL CONDITION COOEY'S