Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Johnny and Monahan had 119 points combined last year compared to McDavid's 100. Problem is that Gaudreau and Monahan play on the same line, so about eighty of those points were result of the same goal which mean there 119 points translated into about 70-75 goals. McDavids 100 resulted in 100 goals.
Also McDavid only takes 1 spot on the roster and last time I checked Calgary doesn't get to dress an extra player on use 6 skater.

Are you sure you still want Johnny and Sean at even money?
Good points. I'm hoping last year was an off year for our duo. I believe they should be closer to the 150-160 range. I suppose I have to take them both at even money as there's no possible way we could luck into a player like macdavid like you guys did!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Good points. I'm hoping last year was an off year for our duo. I believe they should be closer to the 150-160 range. I suppose I have to take them both at even money as there's no possible way we could luck into a player like macdavid like you guys did!
No arguing that McDavid changed the Oilers. Crosby is great but I think McDavid is the best since Gretzky. And for the same city to be fortunate enough to once have Gretzky and now McDavid, there is definitely a certain amount of luck in the equation.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I'd sure be happy to see Monahan and Johnny start putting up those points, any time now would be good...Thank God for Frolik, Backlund, Tkachuck, and that amazing D corp in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
No arguing that McDavid changed the Oilers. Crosby is great but I think McDavid is the best since Gretzky. And for the same city to be fortunate enough to once have Gretzky and now McDavid, there is definitely a certain amount of luck in the equation.
I agree with you on McDavid, whether or not he can actually attain to his potential is going to have a lot to do with the rest of those guys he plays with, if they can start doing their part. Hopefully he can stay healthy, as this kinder gentler era of hockey seems to make it easy for teams to take liberties on real super star players without any consequence.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-26-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'd sure be happy to see Monahan and Johnny start putting up those points, any time now would be good...Thank God for Frolik, Backlund, Tkachuck, and that amazing D corp in general.

I agree with you on McDavid, whether or not he can actually attain to his potential is going to have a lot to do with the rest of those guys he plays with, if they can start doing their part. Hopefully he can stay healthy, as this kinder gentler era of hockey seems to make it easy for teams to take liberties on real super star players without any consequence.
I have no doubt McDavid and Draisaitl will put up as good or better stats than last year. The X factor for the Oilers is secondary scoring. If Nuge, Maroon, and Lucic all can crack 20 goals and Strome and Letstu are between 10 to 15, then the Oilers are going to have a hell of a season. Talbot is fighting through his slow start and we finally have a real back-up that can play 15 games. If I had a wish list, I would get Mcdavid and Draisaitl a legitimate trigger guy. A shooter that teed it up on a regular basis, but then that would just be unfair.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM

A well deserved win by the Flames tonight over the Caps, solid 60 minute game. Wish we could get some scoring from our 3rd and 4th line (Versteeg is the only one with a goal this year!), but glad that Ferland, Monahan and Johnny are putting up some points. The 3M line did well, and even Brouwer had 3 good shots on net, his post was a mm away from being a goal. 6-6-0 looks better than 5-7-0!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-29-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
6-5-0 looks better than 5-6-0!

Looks better than 3-6-1 like our northern cousins....still room on the wagon...Bessie
Old 10-29-2017, 09:45 PM

Had to edit, forgot the Dallas thing the other night....

Old 10-29-2017, 10:24 PM

Pens gonna be grumpy Tues, Jets smacked 'em but good tonight.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Monahan. GWG machine
Old 11-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Banned

Crosby . wins Again over Oilers . who's the best
Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 PM

Oh baby! Smith saved our bacon, and Chuckie connects with Gio for the OT winner! That's 5 straight wins against Penguins...which is better than losing 4 straight by a goal any day!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

2-1 Flames over Penguins OT

Last edited by drhu22; 11-02-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 PM

It warmed my heart to see Crosby cough it up to young Tkachuk for the game winner.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
It warmed my heart to see Crosby cough it up to young Tkachuk for the game winner.
And Chuckie's move at the line was beauty, 'retreat', draw him back and drive hard to set up pass. A solid undressing. Loved it!

Old 11-02-2017, 10:05 PM

Mike smith might just do for the flames what talbot did for the oilers last year. Another great performance
Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Banned

wholly , samolly . great game Mike Smith and flames . and yes , very nice move by Chuckie on Crosby ...lol..any oiler fans taking notes
Old 11-03-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt-44 View Post
wholly , samolly . great game Mike Smith and flames . and yes , very nice move by Chuckie on Crosby ...lol..any oiler fans taking notes
no, most are looking for the rocks they had been under for the last ten years previous to last years success.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Here is a thought for the day. The Flames currently have 14 points, twice as many as the Oilers at 7 points....and we are currently standing at 18th in the League. Not even close to a playoff spot. With twice as many points as the Oilers. Makes a fan think.

Flames need to put some back to back wins together now, and the way Smith is playing he is giving them every opportunity to win. The third and fourth line need to start potting a goal now and then, or they need a whippin'!

Old 11-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Here is a thought for the day. The Flames currently have 14 points, twice as many as the Oilers at 7 points....and we are currently standing at 18th in the League. Not even close to a playoff spot. With twice as many points as the Oilers. Makes a fan think.

Flames need to put some back to back wins together now, and the way Smith is playing he is giving them every opportunity to win. The third and fourth line need to start potting a goal now and then, or they need a whippin'!
I couldn't agree more about getting going. They did just take out a couple of beasts from the east and thats a great way to start.

How ever, they are tied with 4 other teams for 3 playoff spots. (3rd and 2 Wildcard spots) We are behind because all have one game in hand. We are in the thick of things and with some work they are looking ok.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:59 PM

They have won some good games (Preds, Penguins, *those hateful* Ducks *in Anaheim to break the curse!* Jets) but they really should have picked up some other points, like Dallas....and the Blues are going to be a battle all season. We have some tough competition in the West/Pacific, and playing .500 hockey isn't going to get it done. Smith has exceeded my expectations by a huge margin, and given us every chance to succeed with his stellar play. Now the whole team needs to work that much harder. I see Bennett and Lazar working hard, getting chances, and it's only a matter of time for them to get on the board. Same with the new kid, Jankowski*something or another*....I like the looks of them. These young guys have the perfect season in front of them to gain confidence and maturity, and work for that playoff spot as underdogs again....with a solid goalie this time. The Flames D is as solid as any in the league, and better than most.

Go Flames Go!!

Old 11-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Banned

I am not loving Bennett. He seems to be trying but its not working. Its like he doesn't know what is game is. Is he a rough and tough power forward? I really don't know.
I am going to have to watch these guys more carefully. I have 1/4 season seats right on the rail in the 3rd level this year. Best seats ever to watch a play develop. next game I am actually going to watch these guys rather than watching the game.

What a move by Tkachuk last night. He just undressed the best player in the world... That clip needs to go on his trophy wall.. Just a loop of it.. Wow.. just wow.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I am not loving Bennett. He seems to be trying but its not working. Its like he doesn't know what is game is. Is he a rough and tough power forward? I really don't know.
I am going to have to watch these guys more carefully. I have 1/4 season seats right on the rail in the 3rd level this year. Best seats ever to watch a play develop. next game I am actually going to watch these guys rather than watching the game.

What a move by Tkachuk last night. He just undressed the best player in the world... That clip needs to go on his trophy wall.. Just a loop of it.. Wow.. just wow.
I think Bennett is that tough player who can score....just needs some confidence. As does Lazar. I think it will come.

As for Chuckie's move on Crosby...yeah, that was just too sweet. Or disgusting. Whatever kids say nowadays....

Old 11-03-2017, 04:38 PM

Chucky’s move was pure poetry, especially considering who he undressed. Bennett is not a Center and I think they’ve figured that out. We’ll see him improve on the wing.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Banned

This thread need's a Pic

Old 11-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Banned

woops

Last edited by drhu22; 11-03-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Banned

Re: "This thread need's a Pic"
Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Default a couple of questions come to mind

why is it the flames always play the second of back to back games when visiting teams come thru Alberta?
who was colt 44 before he became colt 44?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskegnmud View Post
why is it the flames always play the second of back to back games when visiting teams come thru Alberta?
who was colt 44 before he became colt 44?
Ya, would be nice to play a bagged out team for a change instead of handing over a tired team to the shames every time.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Ya, would be nice to play a bagged out team for a change instead of handing over a tired team to the shames every time.
I've noticed that it seems to alternate every year. Last year the Oilers got the tired teams playing back to back nights in Alberta.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by histyle View Post
I've noticed that it seems to alternate every year. Last year the Oilers got the tired teams playing back to back nights in Alberta.
Well it’s not fair. It must be very tiring for opposing teams to score all those goals on the oilers and then have to face the flames.....