Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Hamonic looks pretty good where he is at...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-14-2017, 11:39 PM
Banned

I don't understand why no one is posting on this thread??????????????????????
Old 10-15-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
They are still planning the Stanley Cup parade route after game 1 of the season. No one told them they had to show up for the rest of the games.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:57 AM

After their loss to two great teams, the canucks and jets... they had a week off to regroup. Came back swinging in a close 6-1 loss to the Sens.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
After their loss to two great teams, the canucks and jets... they had a week off to regroup. Came back swinging in a close 6-1 loss to the Sens.
Wow 6-1. Missed that game. Oilers off slow start.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Banned

This is just a reality check for Oiler fans . They just figured out the Oilers can't win all 82 games ..lol...Is McDavid having a slow start or is this long term for him and the team ? hmmmmmm
Old 10-15-2017, 12:22 PM

Not sure why they have played like bums the last three games, but something to consider is their on ice PDO. PDO is a stat that adds a team's SV% and SH% percentage. For the entire league, SV% + SH% will equal 1.00 because they're obviously the opposite of each other. Whenever a point is added to someone's SH%, the goalie score on will have a point taken off of their SV%.

Over the long run (as in a season or more), almost all team's PDO will hover around 100, with teams that are genuinely really good being slightly above, and teams that are truly awful are slightly below. For some reference numbers, the 1980s Oilers, considered to be some of the greatest team's to ever touch the ice, generally had around a 1.05 PDO for the season. Last years #1 team in the regular season, Washington Capitals, who went 55-19-8, had a PDO of 1.204 The 2016-17 Colorado Avalanche, who were one of the worst teams seen in the last while in the NHL with a record of 22-56-4, had a season PDO of 0.972.

Essentially, PDO is a good short term measure of puck luck. It's usually said that in the short run (~10-20 games or so), a team with a PDO below 0.98 is generally receiving poor puck luck or in a slump, and is usually bound to have their luck turn. A team with a PDO of 1.02 or higher is usually receiving insane puck luck and bound to regress and come back down to earth (Think of CBJ and their giant win streak, then mediocre remainder of the season). Of course, again, teams that are really good will have a higher PDO (like Washington), but for teams that aren't extremely good or extremely bad, it's a useful tool.

Four games into the season, the 2017-18 Oilers have a PDO of 0.951. Take out the 3-0 win over Calgary, and it's even lower. The team has an average SH% of 5.2% verses the league average of 9.5%. Yes, the team has had some poor effort periods and some downright ugly defensive plays, but they've also generated some really nice chances but just couldn't convert. Talbot has been way off his game as well.

That all said, there's no excuse. This team needs to figure its crap out and figure it out fast.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:01 PM

Could you please explain those statistical short hand terms you are using, not to be ignorant but I actually am. I know stats are The Holy Writ of sports, but other than the very basics I don't really care....but I found your analysis interesting. Thanks, TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Could you please explain those statistical short hand terms you are using, not to be ignorant but I actually am. I know stats are The Holy Writ of sports, but other than the very basics I don't really care....but I found your analysis interesting. Thanks, TC
I don't put a lot of faith into the "fancy stats" world either but I find some statistics interesting to look at to help explain what is going on beyond what the eye immediately sees.

Not sure which terms you're unfamiliar with, SV% refers to save percentage, SH% refers to shooting percentage. PDO I don't believe actually stands for anything besides it being the online handle of whoever created the statistic (PDO is also referred to as just SVSH% because of that).
Old 10-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Banned

fancy stats , should we shoot or make a save ..just kidding . the real stat is the Oilers have lost 3 in row and to the not so elite teams .. now they start a run of even better opponents .... what's your thoughts as to what is the problem and can they turn it around quickly ....
Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I don't put a lot of faith into the "fancy stats" world either but I find some statistics interesting to look at to help explain what is going on beyond what the eye immediately sees.

Not sure which terms you're unfamiliar with, SV% refers to save percentage, SH% refers to shooting percentage. PDO I don't believe actually stands for anything besides it being the online handle of whoever created the statistic (PDO is also referred to as just SVSH% because of that).
Save and shots, right, thanks....I guess I should have figured that out. Now it makes perfect sense. Other than the Oilers sucking wind so badly to start season.

Yes, stats don't always mean much. I remember the commentators last year saying that the teams with the highest percentage of face off wins were all in bottom of divisions, and the teams with worst face off were in the top. So, they don't always mean much. Like getting 5 first overall pics in a few years.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Ooooooohh

You get yer digs in while ya can boys!

That wagons way too crowded for me, what with all them latte sipping Bankers Hall slouchers jumping on.

Thou shall keep the faith ..... and McJesus will deliver us from the valley of shadow....

Amen

at least Bessie Prays ....
Old 10-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Banned

Zero confidence + no chemistry is a dangerous path to lead down. If they don't turn this around ASAP this could turn into a season breaking skid that will haunt them come march when the games are much tougher to win.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt-44 View Post
fancy stats , should we shoot or make a save ..just kidding . the real stat is the Oilers have lost 3 in row and to the not so elite teams .. now they start a run of even better opponents .... what's your thoughts as to what is the problem and can they turn it around quickly ....
The problem is they suck.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:35 PM

They aren't playing very well. They will likely turn it around...
Go Flames!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0495.JPG (19.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-15-2017, 02:37 PM

One more win. Edmonton will be at .500. Not ready write them off yet (like many naysayers on this forum).
Old 10-15-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
One more win. Edmonton will be at .500. Not ready write them off yet (like many naysayers on this forum).
Yea, its pretty early yet. I generally don't start getting too excited till they are about 20 games in.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
LOL... well you're close , it's 2 more wins to get back to .500 .there's no fans on here so the Naysayers , rule ....

Moose lips and Bessie have gone to recollect maybe or GIVE up ....
Old 10-15-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
Zero confidence + no chemistry is a dangerous path to lead down.
Don't forget Talbot playing really shaky (although as seen by last year year, he plays best when playing a lot, the big four day gap between games hasn't helped much), missing a key defenseman, and having Draisaitl out of the line up for an undetermined length. It could get more ugly before it gets better.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:40 PM

And sunspots. Don't forget those can throw a team right off too...

Old 10-15-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Thats how Oiler Fans work. When they are loosing, it's total crickets.
Soon as they win they start yippin. Be sure to point out your teams mistakes.
If the Oilers were 4-0 this thread would be 8 pages deep by now.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Thats how Oiler Fans work. When they are loosing, it's total crickets.
Soon as they win they start yippin. Be sure to point out your teams mistakes.
If the Oilers were 4-0 this thread would be 8 pages deep by now.
Well I for one have been busy and have been on the site very rarely for the last week. The only game I really got to watch was the slaughter in the Calgary game and the stink show last night in between making wings at the Legion.

Might come as a shock but this forum isn't the highest priority in the land to most.

As for Oil fans chirping I'd like to refer you all to the last 10 years of any hockey thread and the slamming that went on by jubilant Flames fans. It goes both ways.

I have total faith the boys will pull it together they've only just started the season, long winter yet.

Just imagine what the Shames would look like if Smith gets hurt and misses a couple months.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Default typical shames fans....

You guys are like coyotes..... pile on sumpin when theres a bit of weakness showin.

It was opening day pheasants down here.... with 100km/h winds. Good times!!! I wuz doin outdoor stuff.... try it smetime .

Drai out hurts... big time. Our defense could be mediocre if we get some farm hands up and turf the great French experiment.

Gryba needs to only be in when the other team is big.

We need a REAL 2nd line forward whose a perceived threat. I don't think the boys realize that they now only have a one line threat.

Pretty easy to defend against.

Get a serious R forwatrd threat.... and then we'll roll hard over this league!!

Either way... I guarantee we'll stomp the shames every time we see them this season.

Oh..... mullet man showed real well last night lolololol. ..... 'Gimme a push Mullet!"

Go mighty OIl!

save us Mcjesus...... please deliver us from purgetory
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 PM

Mullet man was on the bench cracking jokes with the boys and having fun last night. And winning.

The Coiler kids were all wound up like cheap watches. I felt sorry for them.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:01 PM

Its a lot like your wedding night , its not about on how you start but on how you finish
If they could only find a way to light a fire under Lucic butt .....

Last edited by sjr; 10-15-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
You guys are like coyotes..... pile on sumpin when theres a bit of weakness showin.It was opening day pheasants down here.... with 100km/h winds. Good times!!! I wuz doin outdoor stuff.... try it smetime .
Drai out hurts... big time. Our defense could be mediocre if we get some farm hands up and turf the great French experiment.
Gryba needs to only be in when the other team is big.
We need a REAL 2nd line forward whose a perceived threat. I don't think the boys realize that they now only have a one line threat.
Pretty easy to defend against.
Get a serious R forwatrd threat.... and then we'll roll hard over this league!!
Either way... I guarantee we'll stomp the shames every time we see them this season.Oh..... mullet man showed real well last night lolololol. ..... 'Gimme a push Mullet!"Go mighty OIl!save us Mcjesus...... please deliver us from purgetory
You are just too arrogant about your beloved oilers not to give you the gears when you lose.

I hope you are enjoying the start of your season.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:53 PM

No offense meant by my posts I hope.

Just team smack talk is all.

I can take the pile on.

...... and the flames will go down in such!

Go Oil!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
No offense meant by my posts I hope.

Just team smack talk is all.

I can take the pile on.

...... and the flames will go down in such!

Go Oil!
it's all fun , enjoy it .... Edmonton needs fans like you
Old 10-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
No offense meant by my posts I hope.Just team smack talk is all.I can take the pile on....... and the flames will go down in such!
Go Oil!
I get that its in fun, I hope you're an Eskimos fan too (joking).

Re Flames... I'm pretty sure they have the Western conference wrapped up.

Last edited by drhu22; 10-15-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
I get that its in fun, I hope you're an Eskimos fan too.

Re Flames... I'm pretty sure they have the Western conference wrapped up.
lol, good one