Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 02:40 PM

Another tough loss for the Oilers love it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 03:37 PM

"Nope, not for a second, we arnt fair weathered fans like down south that couldn't even sell out the first playoff game last year. We don't expect to win the cup, we just cheer and hope."

Say what!?! From throwing jerseys on the ice a year and a half ago to planning the parade this summer. Stop listening to all the hype from the worst homer sports reporters in the country in Spector and Staples.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Man it sucks for Oilers fans now, after all the top picks AND McJesus, they still seem to need the flu to run through the rest of the league or something to get some wins.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:30 PM

The Oilers need to realize that hard work wins in this league. They need to have the fundementals of passing, shooting, hitting, and skating drilled into them. Until that happens, they'll flounder. Just a short ten more losses, and the playoffs will be out of reach.

But another high draft pick will be in sight....

Haven't we seen this movie before?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:40 AM

Crickets.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:46 AM

C'mon boys, they still got a point!

'Let's go OIlers!' *clap*clap*clapclapclap......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-25-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
C'mon boys, they still got a point!

'Let's go OIlers!' *clap*clap*clapclapclap......
That's that "total domination" piece kicking in.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
That's that "total domination" piece kicking in.
In every aspect of the game.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 AM

You guy's r NUTZ!

We had those silly skating birds.... three goals that seriously shoulda!.... They really should have been in!

That's just bad luck. We went for stretches where we were in their end and the other team wandered around like the flightless critters on their jerseys..! (Pretty sure I heard a distinct "brrrraaaappgagagagagck! noise at one point)

Coach had a brain cramp..... don't send slow Loooch out in overtime. Send baby Nuge and one of the little speedy kids out and we'd have the extra point.

We got this. It was a good road trip against some of the best teams out there.

Keep chirping you no good cattle fraternizers...... You'll be feeding around the bottom by xmas.

and we will be closer to the promised land!

Go OIL!!!!

What is the difference between a Calgary Flames fan and a pot hole?
A: I swerve to avoid pot holes!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-25-2017, 09:16 AM

I think your confused bessie. Bottom feeding is the promised land for the oilers! 1st OA draft pick Baby! Oilers feeling right at home in their current spot.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 AM

Pretty soon, its going to be too late.

Right now they are 2-5-1 for 5 points.

Assuming 95 points are required to make the playoffs, they need 90 pts in 74 games. So, they are going to need to go 45-29. Am I doing that right, 16 games above .500 to make the playoffs? Not impossible by any stretch, but that is a tough hill to climb.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Yep, that's what I mentioned in an earlier post. Probably only 7 or 8 more losses and they'll be pretty much done for making the playoffs.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMG View Post
Yep, that's what I mentioned in an earlier post. Probably only 7 or 8 more losses and they'll be pretty much done for making the playoffs.
As much as I wish this was true, its still early.

The flames went 3-8-1 last year in October and 5-6-1 in November, and we still made the playoffs.

The stats are against a team if they are outside the playoffs by US Thanksgiving but it is still possible.
a quick 5-7 game win streak will erase and get them back on pace.

Talbot appears to have found his game so that should help you out a bit.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:40 AM

3 pts on that road trip that included CHI and last year's Cup champs, especially if you look at how they played compared to the first 4-5 games is a pretty good result IMHO. Plenty to build off of, and two key players back in the lineup.

Making the playoffs seems like it should be easy, if you win 3 outta 5 (.600) games all year long, that's about 98 pts, and pretty much guarantees a playoff spot. The problem is, in today's NHL, that's NOT easy to do lol.

They're 2.5 outta 6 now. It's a long season. Win 15.5 of the next 24 (.640) and you're right back where you need to be in a comfortable playoff spot. Tough road for sure, but it only takes one good 5-6 game win streak and some consistent play during the rest and you're there.

I agree with the comment about US Thanksgiving, if they aren't on the major upswing or in a playoff spot by then, it's not impossible, but it'll be a tough slog.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 AM

For any of you Oiler's fans who celebrate US Thanksgiving, I would like to share this with you:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...pect-rankings/

A good conversation piece while you are enjoying your turkey .
Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM

Really should have had that Pittsburgh game. Couple wide open nets haunting them today I bet.

I love how happy the Flames fans get when Edmonton loses lol. Must be tough carrying that little brother complex around all the time

I'd love to have anybody from the top 5 picks. Fill some gaps.. I don't want to watch them get them though lol.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:31 PM

I'm only happy about the Oilers losing because I get to come and read all the posts from the Oilers fans about 'coulda shoulda woulda'....and I have to say, I like how good a sport Bessie is about it, on my part its all in good fun.

Really, I'd like to see them winning, I have no issues with McDavid lighting up that franchise and making it great. I feel bad that he is saddled with those guys a bit, but hopefully he can whip them into shape, as the coach sure doesn't seem to be able to. I hope they do turn it around, and we have some Canadian teams in the playoffs again this year. The Cup has been south of the border for too long. Hell, I'll even cheer for those Leafs to win a Cup again!

But mostly, I'm just hoping the Flames have a good game tonight against those Blues.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'm only happy about the Oilers losing because I get to come and read all the posts from the Oilers fans about 'coulda shoulda woulda'....and I have to say, I like how good a sport Bessie is about it, on my part its all in good fun.

Really, I'd like to see them winning, I have no issues with McDavid lighting up that franchise and making it great. I feel bad that he is saddled with those guys a bit, but hopefully he can whip them into shape, as the coach sure doesn't seem to be able to. I hope they do turn it around, and we have some Canadian teams in the playoffs again this year. The Cup has been south of the border for too long. Hell, I'll even cheer for those Leafs to win a Cup again!

But mostly, I'm just hoping the Flames have a good game tonight against those Blues.
Who there.... cheer for the leafs?? Let's not get carried away. Guess it's a small step up from the Canucks but I'm not sure I could do it.

I really want a meaningful battle of Alberta and both teams in it. Love it!! Anybody who get a their feelings hurt is taking things way to serious. The ball busting is all part of the BOA!!!

Either that or they've given up on ever seeing success or joy due to the constant let downs provided by being a Flames fan. Always the bridesmaid .... even the 1 lonely year they won the cup Edmonton had to score on themselves to do it for them.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post

Either that or they've given up on ever seeing success or joy due to the constant let downs provided by being a Flames fan. Always the bridesmaid .... even the 1 lonely year they won the cup Edmonton had to score on themselves to do it for them.
The Steve Smith own goal was in 1986. Flames won the cup in 1989.

In 1989, the Kings and Gretzky eliminated the Oilers in Round 1 if I recall correctly.

Carry on.

Last edited by JohninAB; 10-26-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
The Steve Smith own goal was in 1986. Flames won the cup in 1989.

In 1989, the Kings and Gretzky eliminated the Oilers in Round 1 if I recall correctly.

Carry on.
Well .... that's certainly true.

It's 1am. Day has been to long to have a decent come back. Point to you lol

I'll try again tomorrow
Old 10-26-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Well .... that's certainly true.

It's 1am. Day has been to long to have a decent come back. Point to you lol

I'll try again tomorrow
No worries, people make mistakes. Heck if they didn’t, there would be no Oilers fans at all!
Old 10-26-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
No worries, people make mistakes. Heck if they didn’t, there would be no Oilers fans at all!
well done lol
Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 PM

Oh yea baby!!!!!

We crushed em!

Great hits!

Good fight!

Friggin zebras needed to wake up.

It was never in doubt!!

Luv da Nuge!!!!!

Here we goes boys!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:04 PM

And finally got a little puck luck around the net and a goalie that didn't have a "performance of the year" type night. With a game in hand and only 3 points behind the Shames, things are looking up!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:08 PM

A one goal 'crushing', and only 3 points behind the Shames (as though that were the team to catch. I guess that's a compliment)..... I love you guys, truly.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 PM

There's fear in your texting TC!

I can smell the fear!!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
There's fear in your texting TC!

I can smell the fear!!
Of what? Hell, I predicted the Oil in the finals and Flames bottom 10 before the season started, I'm already way behind the curve in my prognosticating, but happily. Flames being the unloved red headed stepchild is nothing new. The Oilers being successful would be though.....3-5-1 isn't exactly tearing things up yet Bessie. 7 points out of 18. Any number of ways of saying it, but 'dominating every aspect of the game' isn't probably one of them.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

We crushed em!
More so the fan base sighing in relief and just being happy they won.

The desperation none more evident, when statements like that follow a win which included a:

-.875 SA %;
-A PP that went 0/3;
-A PK that went 2/5; and,
-2 Dallas own goals.

For reference, what you're speaking of, is what LA did to Montreal, Florida to Anaheim, or currently, Vancouver to Washington....
Old 10-27-2017, 06:50 AM

There ya guys go....

Bringing up facts again....

Sheesh

Mighty Oil! Gonna run ya over!

Go Oil!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:51 AM

Sports isn't a math test...!

GO OIL!!

Here's the thing that makes life so interesting: The Theory of Evolution claims that "only the strong shall survive." Maybe so, maybe so. But the Theory of Competition says "just because they're the strong doesn't mean they can't get their a***s kicked." That's right.
See, what every long-shot, come-from-behind underdog will tell you is this: The other guy may in fact be the favorite; the odds may be stacked against you. Fair enough ...

But what the odds don't know is this isn't a math test. This is a completely different kind of test. One where passion has a funny way of trumping logic. So before you step up to the starting line, before the whistle blows and the clock starts ticking, just remember: out here, the results don't always add up.

No matter what the stats may say and the experts may think and the commentators may have predicted, when the race is on, all bets are off. Don't be surprised if someone decides to flip the script and take a pass on yelling "uncle". And then suddenly, as the old saying goes, "We got ourselves a game."