Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
TC, did you miss the part that The Spank mentioned that there were a couple of vehicles driving around shooting at houses in Frog Lake and there was a lockdown? I assume that is near where The Spank is living. If it is, do you not think that it is prudent to take some sort of measure to protect yourself and/or your community?

I'm not a vigilante nut nor do I think that The Spank is. What if someone decides to shoot your windshield out and you go off the road? When they turn around to come back to finish you off and you are sitting there with your d*** in your hand with no means to protect yourself? Dramatic, yes, but these type of individuals are not your average people and I wouldn't put anything past them. I certainly wouldn't trust them not to murder me.

I'm not a proponent of carrying a firearm full time but if this was going on in this area I would undoubtedly have my mini 14 readily available in my truck as well. Nothing personal, it only makes sense to me.
Hunter Dave, I didn't miss that part about the people driving around Frog Lake shooting things up, or the fellow apparently in the GP area shooting vehicles. I get it. And yes, that is a bit dramatic, the scenario you pose, but I also get that bad things do happen. A very close friend of mine had his brother in law killed by a knife wielding lunatic at a camp near Fox Creek a couple years ago, along with another lady who tried to help him. There were no firearms allowed at the camp for 'safety reasons' and something horrific could have maybe been prevented.

I did not indicate I thought Spank was a vigilante for carrying a firearm, if you read the context of what I wrote it's pretty clear. As I also mentioned, I firmly believe that everyone should (in principle) have the right to carry a firearm, including a sidearm if they chose. If you and Spank feel the need or just desire to carry with you, I support that 100%.

All I was really communicating was that for me, personally, I don't feel the need to do so, even with the possibility that something bad might happen. Frankly, in Grande Prairie, I'd be far more worried about my firearm being stolen out of my locked vehicle someplace (because that does happen here all the time, I've had vehicles pried open 3 times already personally), than somebody 'shooting out my windshield, putting me in a ditch, and then coming back to finish me off'. Now granted, I can be a real dick a lot of the time, and there are probably people who really dislike me, but I'm pretty sure nobody is gunning for me yet.

The fact of the matter is, there are very few homicides committed in Canada with a firearm, and those fall almost exclusively into the categories of gang violence and domestic violence where the victim and killer know each other. Random shootings and stabbings are actually pretty rare, and even those predominantly happen around drinking establishments, which I also never frequent. So, as much as I like firearms, and enjoy them, and would certainly use one if needed to protect my family or myself, I don't feel the need to have one with me every time I go out. I can't personally live that scared of what 'might' or 'could' happen. I don't think that every time I see a jacked up black truck in GP I'm going to duck because 'maybe that's the crazy with a shotgun'. Heck, I'd be driving hunched under the dash all the time here if that were the case. Better to just stay home then.

OK, so we are clear...if you want to carry a firearm, I support that, go for it. If I don't feel the need to carry one, is that OK too? And if circumstances change, and life does get that scary, rest assured, I am open to legally carrying when I feel the actual need. And if things really got crazy, I'd feel fine carrying whether it was legal or not. But not today.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-20-2017, 09:53 AM

The reason I posted this thread was to warn folks in the GP area about what is going on, not to start a debate about carrying.

Anyhew, sounds like it's increasing if the attached screenshot is true. Will post any updates that I can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22491711_10154786770316577_3691802063635510250_n.jpg (31.4 KB, 209 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
There was a truck and a car both a few nights ago driving through and shooting at houses at Frog and Fishing Lakes, in fact Frog Lake was on lockdown for a while. The truck was a black F-250 and the car a red G-6. I can’t recall which of the two they apprehended? Maybe this is a related incident?
There is a reason I usually keep my mini-14 and two full mags on the seat next to me at all times now.
We will all do what we do to feel safe. I would never tell someone else what they do to feel safe is right or wrong, as I know nothing about the person or their circumstance. I think most people who are critical of people who decide to carry firearms are so because they don't want to accept that in the times we live now, carrying a firearm may save the life of you and your family.

Many who are critical of people carrying a firearm do so because they don't believe if they were put in a situation where a firearm would save them that they could do it, so they are critical of those that feel they could. Some people just can not deal with conflict, especially this kind.

Even a few years ago I believe very few people thought of carrying legal firearms in your vehicle but now it is fairly common. I live in a rural area and am hunting year round so carrying a firearm is not unusual for me. Living in a rural area any type of police force is at least an hour away if they decide to come at all. The reluctance of the RCMP to venture into the rural areas has forced some people to consider arming themselves, while the RCMP stay safely in their detachment. In the city, police are probably only 5 minutes away with hundreds more available if required. City and rural policing are like trying to compare apples to oranges.......not even close.

The theft in rural areas including ours over the past 2-3 years is unbelievable and the RCMP have basically left rural people to fend for themselves. I am not sure of all the reasons why the RCMP have done this but the fact is they have.

The thieves have got more daring as time went on, first just going into garages/vehicles that were open, then breaking into them, then going into houses, then armed theft. This is not paranoia, it is reality for some of us.

Many people seem to think that because someone has chose to carry firearms in their vehicle or have them readily available in their home that they can't wait to use them. Nothing could be farther from the truth, we all know that just because we have a firearm doesn't guarantee our safety, but what it might do is give a fighting chance rather than become a statistic because we didn't ever try.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Default I don't get it...

Responsible gun owner here - also one who doesn't understand why anyone would get off on shooting a passing car/truck/sign... anything other than an animal or range target.

I just don't get it. What's the thought process got to be where you end up thinking, "Yeah, I'm gonna shoot the next car I pass!" Idiots.

As for the carrying to protect - I respect your right to carry, but like TC, I don't know that I feel the need to be driving round with my shotgun riding shotgun.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 AM

I always have the ability to defend myself when in the vehicle. ALWAYS.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 AM

It takes a special kind of STUPID, to pull of a stunt like that!

BW
Old 10-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
Have you ever broke down on the highway, have you ever come upon someone with the hood up on their vehicle and they are waving at you stop.....did you stop?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:39 AM

That depends. If something doesn't look right, I stop with the window partially down and ask if everything is ok. If it looks suspicious I just call 911.

Your mindset is your weapon. The rest are just different tools at your disposal.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
That depends. If something doesn't look right, I stop with the window partially down and ask if everything is ok. If it looks suspicious I just call 911.

Your mindset is your weapon. The rest are just different tools at your disposal.
Yet you have your finger on the trigger of your I have to assume loaded firearm 'just in case' because of the your reply #35, 3 up.

Or do you crawl into the back seat to unlock your case of your handgun shotgun or long rifle, take off the trigger lock, unlock the other box with your ammunition in it and then drop to a knee to figure things out?

By the way I do too, I could use the vehicle to get away, I could talk my way through it, I could hug the bad person until they went to sleep....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Yet you have your finger on the trigger of your I have to assume loaded firearm 'just in case' because of the your reply #35, 3 up.

Or do you crawl into the back seat to unlock your case of your handgun shotgun or long rifle, take off the trigger lock, unlock the other box with your ammunition in it and then drop to a knee to figure things out?

By the way I do too, I could use the vehicle to get away, I could talk my way through it, I could hug the bad person until they went to sleep....
You can drive with a non restricted besides you and a clip in the cup holder legally. Guys do it every year while deer hunting. Guns only have to be cased and locked in Provincial Parks, and National Parks. When you leave the vehicle, the vehicle must be locked with gun out of sight.

You should know this Ken.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You can drive with a non restricted besides you and a clip in the cup holder legally. Guys do it every year while deer hunting. Guns only have to be cased and locked in Provincial Parks, and National Parks. When you leave the vehicle, the vehicle must be locked with gun out of sight.

You should know this Ken.
No kidding.

But at night and every day of the year as he suggested raises eyebrows. Premeditated is a very well known term in Criminal cases.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Why are you guys fixated on firearms? I never said I have the firearm sitting beside me loaded.

You guys will go in circles argueing the way you do.

Hug a kid, not a criminal!

The vehicle itself can be used, etc...

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:

I am not sure what the difference is between "doesn't look right" and "suspicious" but the fact is you stopped. I mentioned this because this exact scenario happened a couple of weeks ago on a rural road, lady stopped for a vehicle with hood up and person standing beside it. When she stopped 2 guys came out of the ditch/bush with long guns and they stole her truck.

The victims is these cases usually always have the same thing to say "I can't believe it happened to me". You can be aware/prepared or you can be vulnerable.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I am not sure what the difference is between "doesn't look right" and "suspicious" but the fact is you stopped. I mentioned this because this exact scenario happened a couple of weeks ago on a rural road, lady stopped for a vehicle with hood up and person standing beside it. When she stopped 2 guys came out of the ditch/bush with long guns and they stole her truck.

The victims is these cases usually always have the same thing to say "I can't believe it happened to me". You can be aware/prepared or you can be vulnerable.

As in, I roll up, roll the window down a bit with the vehicle in gear...

Not everyone is a friend in life. Be prepared.

I don't know why some of this is so difficult. I worked overseas lots out of college. If you don't trust your gut feeling over seas where people will kill you for a meal, you don't belong out there.

Just like when the door bell rings. I check out who it is from the window. If I don't like what I see. I open the window and tell you to **** off. It's simple.

I am not a tough guy at all. But I don't want to put myself in a disadvantaged position.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
No kidding.

But at night and every day of the year as he suggested raises eyebrows. Premeditated is a very well known term in Criminal cases.
Could just have the gun in the truck for coyotes... I carry one in my truck most of the time for that exact reason.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Could just have the gun in the truck for coyotes... I carry one in my truck most of the time for that exact reason.
Quote:
Sure, and if the 2nd person in this quote is carrying a gun for coyotes, and says what he did, it is no longer there for coyotes.

I do understand that is the excuse that you would tell the LEO, but tough to pull that off if you are in downtown Edmonton. ABcoyote didn't specify where he is driving.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:45 AM

Ok, I have a shotgun in my truck always. I work in the bush in Norther Alberta, however I also have many other common objects that can be used as a weapon. The answer here is you don't have to use a shotgun, use what ever there is at the time... it's really not that hard a concept.

And on the use of force concept with a firearm. How many have even taken a defensive firearms course on here? Or any type of defensive course? I bet the number is very low. Very low. Everyone is a tough guy that knows how to use a firearm but can't remember where the shells are or how to load it. Being prepared is more than typing on the net that you are prepared.

Don't get yourself in the situation in the first place.

Don't do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places...

If I don't like what I see when I drive by the broken down vehicle I call 911. I have done my part to help. If it's a little old lady fallen down at the entrance of the restaurant I stop and give help. Situation dictates response.
And my shotgun will be travelling to the city with me this weekend as well as my blow out kit because when I have a life threating situation I don't think at the level 2 first aid kit will be enough.

PCFGA on Facebook

Last edited by Albertacoyotecaller; 10-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
your mindset is your weapon. The rest are just different tools at your disposal.
x100
Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Banned

I don't understand how anyone wouldn't think it prudent to have a firearm in their truck if these things were happening in their area.

Is this some sort of carry over from the concealed carry threads?

The farther that you get out of urban areas the more likely people will have a firearm in their vehicle full time. This is especially true during hunting season or if someone is running around shooting at people. That's just how it is and it makes perfect sense to me.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Have you ever broke down on the highway, have you ever come upon someone with the hood up on their vehicle and they are waving at you stop.....did you stop?
I have done all three. I have stopped to help at times, I have also drove on by without a second thought or glance. In my younger days I occasionally gave hitchhikers rides and even fed a couple who were very down on their luck. Nowadays as I have aged I don’t have the physical strength I did years ago to possibly get out of a situation with arms, legs and fists so I don’t give hitchikers rides any longer. If I come upon the scene of an accident or someone elderly or a young mother with kids broken down I’ll offer assistance but otherwise I pass on by. And maybe it’s being judgemental of me but if you are broken down in some old beater and you have tattoo’s up the sides of your neck, you’re wearing your son’s of anarchy tee-shirt, look like you haven’t purchased a bar of soap since 2011 and look at approaching people and vehicles as if your retinas will shoot out laser beams or darts then I am sailing on by no questions asked and I’ll only look back in my rear view mirror to see if you are still broken down or closing your hood and looking for another spot to try your luck.
I will also say given the folks I see posting in here and whether we always agree or not I would sit and chat over a beverage with most anyone here tyndawolf excepted as I am sure the odour from the chiclets I drop in my shorts from running through life scared ****less he’d take offence to anyways. We all have enough in common for a pleasant meet and greet I am sure. Personalities can seem pretty cut and dried from behind a keyboard but in reality most of us are more than the sum of a few words we post. Oh and BTW yes I keep two loaded mags for my mini-14 with me but one is always 55 gr hp varmint loads for old Wile E Coyote!!

Last edited by The Spank; 10-20-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Really? I just can't get my head into that kind of space. In principle I agree people should be allowed to carry as a right, for self defense. In practice, I doubt I would bother. I've been dragging my butt around for over 50 years now, lived mostly in Alberta but also spent a year in Mexico, 3 years in Missouri, and lived in 3 other provinces for about 7 years....and never, in all that time, in all the tens of thousands of miles traveled, lived and worked, have I ever wished I had a loaded firearm next to me to protect myself. Not once. And I even had an unstable co worker take a loaded .357 out of the back of his car and point it at my head from ten feet away when I was young. Even then it never occurred to me that I wish I had a gun. I was just too stunned by the size of that bore I guess....Doesn't mean some situation couldn't happen where I'd want one, but to carry a semi auto around in my vehicle on the seat next to me, other than for the odd coyote I may see? Never going to happen.

Now in context of that story, you are driving down the highway and BOOM! somebody oncoming has hit you with a load of buckshot. You aren't injured. Now what are you going to do, turn around, speed after them, and open fire with your Mini 14? Really? Your life is no longer in danger, until you pursue vigilante justice. Seems reckless to me.

I just don't see it Spank.
The paranoia runs deep, really deeeep.
Some people have been sniffing to much G-96 and thinking we live in Syria.
I don't agree with being shot at and all but, how does one return fire after being shot at while doing 90 kph and going the opposite direction down the Hwy?
There was a similar incident last year Dow Hwy 97 iirc and the guy was eventually caught in the East Fraser Valley.
Btw, I have been shot at when I was younger and No, I wasn't in a war zone either.
Garry Point also known locally as Scotch Beach...
Best Regards,
Rob
Old 10-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
I don't agree with being shot at and all but, how does one return fire after being shot at while doing 90 kph and going the opposite direction down the Hwy?
There was a similar incident last year Dow Hwy 97 iirc and the guy was eventually caught in the East Fraser Valley.
Btw, I have been shot at when I was younger and No, I wasn't in a war zone either.
Best Regards,
Rob
There are many more ways and places to be shot at than driving down the hwy...
Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
The reason I posted this thread was to warn folks in the GP area about what is going on, not to start a debate about carrying.

Anyhew, sounds like it's increasing if the attached screenshot is true. Will post any updates that I can find.
Some like to get on the soap box and spout off rhetoric when there is no need for rhetoric.
A Very Good Public Service Announcement getting derailed so some can hear themselves speak about non relive the information.

Have the RCMP in the area put out an alert over this?
What about the media, CBC comes to mind...as much as those who love to hate the CBC they find themselves listening to it so it gives them something to whine about.

Hope there is a resolve with no injuries, save to the vehicles that is.
Rob
Old 10-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Best Regards,
Rob
I’ve never been shot at but I have had a rifle pointed at me not 3” from my nose many, many years ago by a fellow who had an issue with me deer hunting “his area” which happened to be crown land!! Yes I was armed at the time as I was deer hunting and I didn’t react by trying to shoot him. I let him sprout off and just kept looking him in the eye in such a way to let him know I wasn’t scared and he backed off and left. I left the bush and called the OPP to report the incident and the cop laughed and said “Old _ _ _ is up to his old tricks again is he? Just stay out of his way”. I was maybe 20 then and realized quickly the cops weren’t going to do anything about it. And very little has changed 34 years later.
In any event I have said enough in here so time to move onto the fishing forum and check out the fishes being caught. Good day and hopefully they get the douchebag(s) that are shooting up hwy 40!
Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
And another truck was shot today!!

😡
Here’s another one. Getting closer to the drivers seat. Not good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B6721BCD-F297-4F48-9D81-DA0646D5CE04.jpg (26.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 03:25 PM

Where is Weibo?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Where is Weibo?
Pushing daisies. So he’s safe.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
...Have the RCMP in the area put out an alert over this?...
They had a request for information on Big Country radio at lunch. Apparently It is confirmed that a 5th incident was reported.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
They had a request for information on Big Country radio at lunch. Apparently It is confirmed that a 5th incident was reported.
Unreal. Someone is going to be killed.

Are these all tanker trucks that are beening shot at?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Banned

5 trucks now shot?