Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 08:19 PM

Default Wow...there is a commitment to electric vehicles

Loblaw to be early adopter of Tesla's all-electric Semi

Canadian grocer Loblaw has ordered 25 of Tesla's all-electric Semis, as part of an effort to move its fleet of delivery trucks to low-emission vehicles.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tesl...test-1.4407198

Groceries is a very competitive field, they must have done their homework.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 PM

Or gotten them for super cheap to try and promote Tesla... But Tesla won't meet their dates.. it'll be 2030 before they release the first semi, even though they'll have 100,000 paid for orders .
Old 11-17-2017, 08:25 PM

They didn't release the price, could be scary. Has to over a million
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Banned

Well they ought to keep the towing companies busy.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 PM

I wonder if that was a business decision made by prudent accountants or a trendy follow the crowd action decided by some skinny pants hipsters who pray at the altar of Muskism.

They'd probably be better off creating a biomass digester from all of their waste food and compressing the methane collected from it for CH4 powered vehicles.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 PM

I'm always curious about how optimistic the range is, as opposed to reality of driving to Hay River when it is -50 C....would suck to run out of juice and no extension cord in sight.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 PM

Some pretty exciting stuff out there right now. Fisker recently announced they have developed a solid state battery that has 2.5x the energy density of the current lithium ion units and can recharge in less than a minute. Tesla just announced their roadster with a 0-60 mph time of 1.9 seconds and a 600 mile range.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'm always curious about how optimistic the range is, as opposed to reality of driving to Hay River when it is -50 C....would suck to run out of juice and no extension cord in sight.....
Surely they will be only used in city deliveries as they won't have the range of a diesel highway tractor. I'm thinking they'll rationalize that it's best to use them in densely populated areas where air quality is poor so they can brag about not polluting cities, but instead transfer that pollution to wherever the local powerplant is!

Also the urban usage would get the expensive rigs seen by their more environmentally reactionary shoppers.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 PM

What a joke. Elon Musk is either a genius or the world's biggest scam artist.
I am beginning to think he is the latter.

Tesla has 450,000 orders for their Model 3 car and has delivered about 300 so far.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 PM

They require a $5000 down payment. Not exactly a huge commitment. Miniscule in the big scheme of things. I'm sure they are looking at it as a no lose situation. At best Tesla actual hit or exceed unproven targets and they get the first of the new gen trucks. At present Telsa can't even produce a small sedan. BUT even if no truck is ever delivered...for multiple years leading up to the deadline they are being seen as moving to "green" which is worth $125k in positive marketing. I'd like to know what their total advertising budget is...I suspect this cost is part of it With this headline they probably already have their marketing monies worth. Advertising ain't cheap.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

Groceries is a very competitive field, they must have done their homework.
How the hell have they "done their homework" on a platform that isn't built yet? Tell me how they analyzed the mileage over time, battery performance and cost over time, maintenance of the overall rig, ability to haul a load on top of battery weight. All stuff that is crucial to commercial economics. This is a marketing gimmick plain and simple. If the truck actually happens to work out then great. Otherwise they aren't out much and get tonnes of great press.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:04 PM

It'll be a long time before you see one mounting the Salmo-Creston in January.

Oh, and for those that read the article, loblaws doesn't have a corporate fleet. Nor does Wal-Mart. Just a cheap pr swindle.

Colin
Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 PM

The brand new school here in the town of less than 200 people has a dedicated electric vehiçle charging station. Um ok

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
The brand new school here in the town of less than 200 people has a dedicated electric vehiçle charging station. Um ok
I hope it has some form of billing /metering for those who charge up at it. The taxpayer should not be paying for those peoples transportation energy costs!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I hope it has some form of billing /metering for those who charge up at it. The taxpayer should not be paying for those peoples transportation energy costs!
It's locked tight lol.
No windup cars here yet

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-17-2017, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
It's locked tight lol.
No windup cars here yet
How does it work? Payment?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The truck is projected to have a 1000kWh battery so cold weather would have a negligible impact on range. That's enough battery power to heat the truck for like a month straight.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:48 AM

One of the things I was concerned about when buying a hybrid gas/electric car for my family was how it would handle the winters up North. It's been 4 years and 140,000km now and it has been a non issue, and the fuel economy of the vehicle has been outstanding, coming in at an avg of 5.7L/100km over that 140,000km.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:01 AM

Saw this thing on TV last night, they said semi has a range of about 800km before needing a recharge.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
One of the things I was concerned about when buying a hybrid gas/electric car for my family was how it would handle the winters up North. It's been 4 years and 140,000km now and it has been a non issue, and the fuel economy of the vehicle has been outstanding, coming in at an avg of 5.7L/100km over that 140,000km.

There's a big difference between gas/electric hybrid and straight electric. With the hybrid, the gas engine just works a bit harder in the cold to keep the battery charged.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 AM
AO Sponsor

I have many clients with Tesla's and I ask them constantly about their cars and I must say that not a single person has had an issue with cold weather and their battery life. It actually was a bit of a surprise to me but it seems that it just isn't proving an issue.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:44 AM

I would like to see the Tesla pulling a full size drilling rig with all 12 drive tires chained chewing its way up a high ridge in the foothills, it will never happen. It might make a good delivery truck for potato chips in the city.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:12 AM

Lithium ion batteries are not affected by the cold like conventional batteries are.

When i was building trail cameras, i couldnt keep my batteries working thru winter I switched to lithium batteries, and had power to spare. Pictures down to -35.

Plus technology will keep getting better and lighter.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:34 AM

Ten years ago the negative nellies were convinced that batteries should only be used to start vehicles. Now, the same doubters are saying “ya but they can’t pull like a diesel”. Fast forward ten years and they’ll be whining about the cost of electricity to power their rig. Really, is there anybody that truly believes electric is not the future?
Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I would like to see the Tesla pulling a full size drilling rig with all 12 drive tires chained chewing its way up a high ridge in the foothills, it will never happen. It might make a good delivery truck for potato chips in the city.
See many highway tractors doing that?
Old 11-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Banned

Electricity is the future, but we're not there yet.

http://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/ne...slas-truck/amp
Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Ten years ago the negative nellies were convinced that batteries should only be used to start vehicles. Now, the same doubters are saying “ya but they can’t pull like a diesel”. Fast forward ten years and they’ll be whining about the cost of electricity to power their rig. Really, is there anybody that truly believes electric is not the future?
Electric is absolutely going to be the future, whether it makes sense in reality or not. It's all about virtue signalling and feeling good. Some interesting articles that actually sheds light on the whole EV and carbon footprint myth, and the Tesla truck.

http://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/ne...t-teslas-truck

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/mot...-co2-emissions

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/mot...-electric-cars

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 AM

Electric might be the future but is makes no sense.
It does not reduce the carbon footprint just moves the carbon release to the battery factories and the generating stations.
Now, if we completely went to nuclear generating stations, we might have something.
As it is - complete social engineering debacle.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:22 AM

yup years ago they talked me into a propane conversion for my truck. For what I do one of the worst mistakes I have made.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
How does it work? Payment?
I think they have a card to swipe