Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Well I can. A close friend has a Tesla with the 85KWH battery. He regularly travels from North Van to Vernon to ski. He stops in Hope to get a coffee and at the same time plugs into a super charger while he's getting his coffee and then drives to Silver Star resort.He then plugs into the outside outlet everyone uses for their block heaters. He says it's the best winter vehicle he's ever driven.
It's only 150km to hope. And only 500 km to silver star. Nothing exciting about that.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It's only 150km to hope. And only 500 km to silver star. Nothing exciting about that.
Fair enough. His cost for 500km is $0. How much would you spend ????
Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I wonder if he is actually doing the round trip in one day. If so, he has time to recharge as he sits in whatever meeting he's attending. Good for him if it works.
I also wonder if it truly is his summer car. I also said high level, not Edmonton. What would he do if he just got to Edmonton and found out his wife was in the hospital? I would turn around and head back without needing to even fill my car. He can pine at a charging station.

Until an EV is as practical, reliable, utilitarian, and as proven as an internal combustion engine they will never own the market share of auto sales. Once they achieve those goals I believe they will replace ICE vehicles. I just laugh at the idea people think everyone will have an EV in 3 years. If I buy a new Suburban this year, I will be driving it for 15 years. I won't be buying an EV just because before that time.
Supercharge stations in Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary. One can literally drive from Florida to Edmonton and always have been in range of a Supercharger, plus a ton of destination chargers such as in hotels.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/findus#/...er&name=Canada
Old 11-19-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Well Don't hold your breath, cuz it aint gonna happen in our lifetime......Plain and Simple
Not all of us are that old!
Old 11-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough. His cost for 500km is $0. How much would you spend ????
Really? Electricity is free in BC?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yup. No charge for Super Stations and I've yet to be charged for plugging the block heater in at a hotel.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Yup. No charge for Super Stations and I've yet to be charged for plugging the block heater in at a hotel.
So who pays for it? Or does the consumer / taxpayer pay through additional charges hidden in standard hotel fees etc?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Loblaw to be early adopter of Tesla's all-electric Semi

Canadian grocer Loblaw has ordered 25 of Tesla's all-electric Semis, as part of an effort to move its fleet of delivery trucks to low-emission vehicles.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tesl...test-1.4407198

Groceries is a very competitive field, they must have done their homework.
It is called free advertising. Many companies are using such announcements to make money. Ie. social licensing is huge for kids. They will spend more to save a duck...while ignoring all the dead bats and song birds...but hey. That is a different type of advertising expertise.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Banned

I'd rather drive a Mack !!!

Old 11-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
I'd rather drive a Mack !!!

I've always pictured you driving a Western Star bb. A nice lady truck, you know...

As for the topic - I can see swapping Cummins for batteries in a decade, not right now.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Say what? Peaked??!?!?!?! HAHAHAHA!!!! You realize there are about 1000 coal plants under construction in the world right now; about 600 of them in China. Once the rest of the world stops burning coal, China will burn more, as coal prices plummet. It won't be clean technology like the Boundary dam in Estevan Sask either.
Coal use has declined every year since 2013 in China. Every expert says use has peaked.

https://www.iea.org/publications/fre...17Overview.pdf

They've been cancelling hundreds of plants on the books.

Boundary Dam has been a 1.5 billion disaster for Saskatchewan taxpayers. It doesn't work and is much more expensive than gas or renewables would have been. Just another example of subsidizing fossil fuels.

Cheapest electricity on the planet is now Mexican solar. Without subsidies.

https://electrek.co/2017/11/16/cheap...n-solar-power/
Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Banned

Just read a statistic, Germany is still at 40% coal.

I will try to dig it up. I believe it was Yahoo news.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
So who pays for it? Or does the consumer / taxpayer pay through additional charges hidden in standard hotel fees etc?
Any Tesla sold to date gets free lifetime power at their supercharge stations. The new Tesla 3's will not have that benefit.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Any Tesla sold to date gets free lifetime power at their supercharge stations. The new Tesla 3's will not have that benefit.
Ok so who pays for the “free” power at the supercharge stations?

Do you realize what I am getting at? Nothing in this “green energy” game is free. Somebody, somewhere, is paying.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I've always pictured you driving a Western Star bb. A nice lady truck, you know...

As for the topic - I can see swapping Cummins for batteries in a decade, not right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69_ofi44RmE
Old 11-19-2017, 07:47 PM

Spending 6 figures on a fad luxury electric car so one can tout how they "save" money not buying gas AND "save" the environment. It's funny on so many levels.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn River View Post
Coal use has declined every year since 2013 in China. Every expert says use has peaked.

https://www.iea.org/publications/fre...17Overview.pdf

They've been cancelling hundreds of plants on the books.

Boundary Dam has been a 1.5 billion disaster for Saskatchewan taxpayers. It doesn't work and is much more expensive than gas or renewables would have been. Just another example of subsidizing fossil fuels.

Cheapest electricity on the planet is now Mexican solar. Without subsidies.

https://electrek.co/2017/11/16/cheap...n-solar-power/
Sorry I was wrong, there are actually 1600 plants worldwide with China responsible for over 700!!! An increase of global coal power of 42%!!! What a peak!!! China said they were going to cancel coal, but it turns out they aren't going to.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politic...alks-1.3674383

Sorry but the boundary dam station is the worlds cleanest coal plant and a test-bed for many brand new technologies. It doesn't matter how much the politicians claim it's failed, it has sequestered carbon. PRICELESS!!! 1.5 billion is drop in the bucket compared to renewable subsidies and actually has a hope in hell of producing a viable outcome. Now build on that technology for the next three decades. That is an actual chance at pretty clean energy. Regardless, my point wasn't how successful or unsuccessful the Boundary dam is. My point was that the 1600 coal plants in the world being built right now; how many of them will have equal or better emissions than the Boundary dam? I will go out on a limb and wager a guess. ZERO. That's how many.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:54 PM

Smile

Quote:
Supercharge stations in Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary. One can literally drive from Florida to Edmonton and always have been in range of a Supercharger, plus a ton of destination chargers such as in hotels.

Yep that's great. If one in every 1,000,000 cars are tesla. What about if every car in Edmonton was a tesla tomorrow? I mean that's what some are saying. The revolution is gonna be like a blink of an eye. Where is the infrastructure then? If EV's had even 5% market share I bet people would have a hard time charging.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It is definitely his only car and the talks started when he came two see me 2 winters back buying winter tires and wheels for it. I have quite a few customers who are Tesla owners and they all winter drive. This particular guy says he charges full before he leaves Calgary and in Edmonton does a 20 minute recharge and that gets him back to Calgary. If he is really rolling fast he sometimes has to hit the recharge station in Balzac for a quick recharge, but if he behaves he gets back home no problem.

I am not totally sold either, but I do believe a lot of the old battery issues are slowly getting ironed out these days. Room to improve though for sure...
Sounds like it works fairly well for him. Hope he doesn't get stuck in a traffic jam on the QE2 for 3 hours. Might test his capacity. Otherwise I agree, things are coming along well, but still a long way to go until I can get my new suburban in electric.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Well I can. A close friend has a Tesla with the 85KWH battery. He regularly travels from North Van to Vernon to ski. He stops in Hope to get a coffee and at the same time plugs into a super charger while he's getting his coffee and then drives to Silver Star resort.He then plugs into the outside outlet everyone uses for their block heaters. He says it's the best winter vehicle he's ever driven.
That's awesome. Works out well for him, and his situation. Will he be driving to Kalispell to ski? I know if wanted to I wouldn't have to worry about my vehicle getting there and choosing certain routes to fuel up at. I can just go.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Yup. Super chargers are free to use and you are not charged to plug your car into a block heater outlet.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Who pays for you to plug in your diesel when you stay in a hotel ???
Old 11-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Sounds like it works fairly well for him. Hope he doesn't get stuck in a traffic jam on the QE2 for 3 hours. Might test his capacity. Otherwise I agree, things are coming along well, but still a long way to go until I can get my new suburban in electric.
Would be much better in a traffic jam. If you don't move you don't drain your battery. Unlike a gas or diesel that burns fuel continuously.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
That's awesome. Works out well for him, and his situation. Will he be driving to Kalispell to ski? I know if wanted to I wouldn't have to worry about my vehicle getting there and choosing certain routes to fuel up at. I can just go.
As backwards as Montana is, even they have electricity.
You could however just order his newest version with a 1000 km range.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/61687410.cms
Old 11-19-2017, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Who pays for you to plug in your diesel when you stay in a hotel ???
Let's see what hotels do when there are 9-10 EVs in the parking lot overnight. Pretty sure it won't be as "free".
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 PM

Ford is talking about a hybrid half ton in the next 2 years or so, looks like that is the next vehicle I buy, if I can plug in at the school for free!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-19-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Let's see what hotels do when there are 9-10 EVs in the parking lot overnight. Pretty sure it won't be as "free".
They could charge for electricity and it would still be a fraction of the cost of gasoline.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Would be much better in a traffic jam. If you don't move you don't drain your battery. Unlike a gas or diesel that burns fuel continuously.
Not if you're running heat in the winter, or A/C in the summer. Also lighting would be a small draw as I assume they use LED for every light. Listening to the radio. Charging your phone. It all uses battery power. Creeping one car length every minute.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
They could charge for electricity and it would still be a fraction of the cost of gasoline.
So what is the operating cost of an EV over 250,000km? What rate are you paying for power and how much power will you consume? Now if every North American did the same, what would electricity cost then?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:

There isn't one near Regina. So I guess you can take one path from Edmonton to Florida. I hope you didn't plan on seeing Iowa I guess.