Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 10:09 PM

Default Shingles Vaccine - Something to Consider!

Searched the forum .... no hits on this Vaccine.

Were about to depart to Calif for 3.5 months & getting stuff organized. The Mrs knows a few people our age who recently got a very severe case of Shingles and is thinkin about going to the Doc to get info and/or the vaccine.

I most likely will do the same, wondering if anyone here can share some info/experience. We have extended medical, however, the last thing we need is to get Shingles in the USA & cut our time short to return home.

Found this on the Internet .... The shingles vaccine (Zostavax) is recommended for adults age 60 and older, whether they've already had shingles or not. Although the vaccine is approved for people age 50 and older, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention isn't recommending it until you reach age 60. Although some people will develop shingles despite vaccination, the vaccine may reduce the severity and duration of it.

Any input would be appreciated, as well I imagine it's not covered under Prov Health Care, did your plan cover it or what was the cost, Internet says about $200.00 ?

Tks

D.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Thumbs up Shingles Vaccine

The Wife has already had her shingles vaccine shot, and I'm next. Cost is ~ $200.

My sister got shingles pretty bad. I'll do everything I can to try to avoid it.

The vaccine isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight better than nothing!

Link ... https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthli...ingles-vaccine

Selkirk
Old 11-18-2017, 10:46 PM

My Dad is 85 & just went through a horrible time with shingles. After that I got my shot. Remember though that the vaccine is not 100% guaranteed. I though I read that a new vaccine is coming out soon that might be more effective but not sure on that. It isn't cheap though.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:07 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
My Dad is 85 & just went through a horrible time with shingles. After that I got my shot. Remember though that the vaccine is not 100% guaranteed. I though I read that a new vaccine is coming out soon that might be more effective but not sure on that. It isn't cheap though.
New shingles vaccine available in Canada next year ... http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...650800873.html

Apparently its ~90% effective ... http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/fda-app...irus-1.3642369

One more link (with vid) ... http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/25/health...ine/index.html

Selkirk
Old 11-19-2017, 05:41 AM

Many tks for the info .... very helpful.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:47 AM

Default Shingles

All I can say is I wish I would have I'm still recovering. This was my second time this time it was way worse. Now I need to wait six months before getting the shot. Got mine seven years apart
Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 AM

Got vaccinated couple years ago after talking it over with a friend, she happens to be the public health nurse in my town.
Went to my Dr who wrote me a prescription, picked it up and took it back to him for the shot. Dr asked me to find out the price as a lot of older folk want to know. It was $125.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Banned

Definitely get the shot!! The Wife and I both got it and although as our Doctor said you may still get shingles but not nearly the intensity or length of time as full blown shingles.

Since getting our shots (two years ago) five or more of our friends have got it and believe me it's not nice.

Neither Blue Cross or Alberta Health Care would cover it but I think it's money well spent. ($175.00 per shot)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:44 AM

We got the shot in the spring of 2016. Can't remember the cost but, out plan called for us to only pay 20%. The Doc said that the older you are when you get the shot, the less effective it is however, it is better than not having the shot.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 AM

Thumbs up Yup

I believe they say that you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it
I have seen people with it and it can be debilitating
Got mine @55 yrs
Cost is like everybody is saying but if it keeps you from getting it it's priceless
Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 AM

Is it a one time thing or every year?
Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 AM

One time shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-19-2017, 08:45 AM

As soon as the new vaccine is out, I will be going to see the doctor for a shot.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:46 AM

As soon I am of age I will be getting it.

Those I know that had shingles said it was excruciating pain and could never get comfortable.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-19-2017, 08:54 AM

I got shingles about 10 years ago (if you had chickenpox as a kid, you could get shingles). Fortunately, it was a mild case--only had a rash of running sores in my hair. There was some pain but not as bad as reported by others. Thinking that getting it once would mean I wouldn't get it later, I didn't take the vaccine. Finally, my wife showed me some articles where that's not the case, you can get it again. So, I got the vaccine about three years ago. It was $200 then and our health plan didn't cover it. My doc tells me I should probably have it again, in a couple of years, as the immunity may not last that long. So, I will get the new one for sure.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Definitely will consider it in 2 years when I turn 60, a lot of people in my family had or currently have it and it is not nice. Is the 60 years thing a rule or just a rule of thumb open to doctors discression, I understand it can be somewhat hereditary, some relatives got it before they reached that age..
Old 11-19-2017, 10:02 AM

I must have missed the chicken pox when I was a kid because I got it when I was in my mid 30s. Not fun!

My attitude with the shingles vaccine was better to have it than not need it was better than needing it a not having it. I have seen and heard stories and this is not something that I feel lucky about.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:24 AM

I got the vaccine in 2016...interestingly I got a small bit of shingles where I got the shot...didn't last long (about a week) but boy was it painful...can't imagine getting it full blown.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Just researching online and it says the vaccine only lasts about 5 years so keep that in mind. If you get it once and never get it again, shingles could flair up again down the road...
Old 11-19-2017, 11:39 AM

Another shot to get is the pneumonia one. It is one shot for lifetime and is free. How many people do you know or heard of, that went to the hospital for surgery and were recovering nicely, then ended up dying of pneumonia?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Another shot to get is the pneumonia one. It is one shot for lifetime and is free. How many people do you know or heard of, that went to the hospital for surgery and were recovering nicely, then ended up dying of pneumonia?
That's not fool proof either my doctor says every 10 years but take both shots. I have had both shingles and pneumonia and hope to God I never get them again.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:28 PM

Interesting thread.

I had shingles back when I was a teenager, not terribly painful but wasn't much fun.

Was talking about shingles with a medical professional and I was told I had about a 10% chance of getting shingles again.

So, do I get the vaccine or do I chance it. Let me think.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Default 676931738 Pension

My wife and I both had the shot a couple of years ago, $200 each and the pharmacist had to order the vaccine in.

Apparently it's only 50 - 60% effective and in fact I had something like 'shingles lite' for a couple of months this spring. All of the neuralgia (on my scalp and neck), but none of the blisters.

When the new & improved vaccine come out, yes, we'll both be getting it. FWIW, we're both in our '60s.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

Is it a one time thing or every year?

Good Question ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post

One time shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry ... wrong answer ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

Just researching online and it says the vaccine only lasts about 5 years so keep that in mind. If you get it once and never get it again, shingles could flair up again down the road...

Right answer ^

Selkirk
Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Good Question ^

Sorry ... wrong answer ^

Right answer ^

Selkirk

Good to know.

Had the shot last year (had heard that anyone over 50 should get it). 100% covered by my company health plan.

Had a good friend who had chickenpox as a young teen, and contracted shingles in his late teens. Horribly painful, and permanent scarring on his back.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:33 PM

I am so pleased I asked the A/O community the Q .... the info & experiences shared herein is very valuable, the Mrs read the posts and we both will be getting the vaccine.

Many tks to all those who responded/contributed, it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers

David

Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 AM

Got mine a couple years ago, no issues price was $200 but i was covered by benefits. My mom keeps getting shingle flare ups and stay clear long enough to get the vaccine to help her.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 AM

I got mine a couple of years ago. File your shot receipt for refund.....

A 50% chance of contracting shingles after the shot is still better than 100% without the shot.

When another super-zumo shot comes out; I'll be there with my sleeve rolled up.

FROM FRIENDS AND GENERAL READING, I WOULD HATE TO CONTRACT THIS.

IMHO

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Shy View Post
That's not fool proof either my doctor says every 10 years but take both shots. I have had both shingles and pneumonia and hope to God I never get them again.
Ah! The dueling doctors.

We were told that the pneumonia shot was a one time only shot and a sticker was put on our health care card showing that we had it. We were also told that it was only good for after surgery/hospital treatment. In other words, it doesn't necessarily work to prevent pneumonia under other circumstances. How it can tell the difference, I don't know but, who am I to question medical authorities when my medical training was no more than a St John's standard First Aid certificate that I earned 35 years ago.

Cheers!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:26 AM

I got my shot late 50's. Doesn't look like something I want to catch for sure. Not 100% effective but it improves your odds. No reason not to. Had no side effects.