Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Default San Jose del Cabo ?

Were looking for a quick, all-inclusive getaway in January, and are attracted to the Holiday Inn all-inclusive resort in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico.

What appeals to us is the location - right beside an estuary thats a nature preserve. As we've aged we've moved away from zip-lines and rappelling into cenotes, and embraced hiking nature paths while photographing birds, insects and flowers!! We're hoping that the neighbouring nature trails will provide those opportunities.
I'd also like to bring along an 8 wt flyrod and see what's in the estuary backwaters, and maybe off the ocean beach.

I've scoured the TripAdvisor reports, but there's very few comments on the areas birds/flora/natural attributes.

Has anyone here stayed at this hotel, or nearby - that can provide information on these 'natural' aspects of this location? Are the walking trails any good? Any tips?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 AM

Stayed there last January. We were told "natural" area was a dispoal area for sewage from resorts. It sure smelled like that when we walked by. Not sure if that's true we didn't go in. Holiday Inn was nice as was downtown San Jose. Short bus ride to Cabo as well.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:13 AM

Stayed at that resort in 2015. Would definitely go back to the Holiday Inn. No complaints. As for Cabo, i enjoyed the town way more than Puerto Vallarta, Cancun or Playa Del Carmen.

Sorry but as for the nature trails and such we didnt partake.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 PM

Stayed at the Hyatt ziva - saw one rooster fish cruising. Would have like to hunt for them
Old 11-23-2017, 01:10 AM
Banned

Have a look at Huatulco on the west coast south of PV. It isn’t as commercialized and they are all about ecology and nature. The resort that we stayed at offered bird watching tours, nature walks and a lazy river kayak tour. I had river mud applied to my body by an old Mexican lady and after had fun floating down the river where it entered the ocean. Watching a kid dive for fresh oysters for me to eat on the beach was pretty cool too. A lot more laid back than Cancun, Resort pretty quiet after 11 pm, but more our style at our age.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:36 AM

as stated earlier that is the sewage out fall as the treatment plant is a couple blocks north of the beach
if you go there is a great little sports bar on a roof top in the downtown part of san jose del cabo the owner is from edmonton
Old 11-23-2017, 09:21 AM
AO Sponsor

San Jose del Cabo has a special place in my heart for sure. Met my lovely wife of almost 21 years now there while we were both on vacation at the same time. Met and got married in 3 months and our son was born 9 months after that. Changed my life for the better like I could never have imagined!

Now what to do there... Fishing baby!!! It is amazing there! Wahoo, Dorado, Yellowfin Tuna, just to name a few. It was the mid 90's... Don't judge!

Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM

I'd recommend that area and the Holiday Inn looked very nice although I've never stayed there. As for the estuary the hiking is limited although if you are adventerous you can follow the river north a long ways but it does run into the working town San Jose Veijo. Not really worth it.

You can walk the beach east past the estuary to the marina which you can either walk around and keep going east or loop back to town. That has its merits.

But your best bet is to rent a car and drive to areas nearby. Going east there are some tremendous beaches that will be virtually deserted. Any number of arroyos you can just park in and hike for miles. Going North there is a place with a waterfall I think is called fox canyon,but its busy.

We did a round trip to Los Barritas that was awesome, could hike for miles and I'm sure could do some surf fishing.

Some beautiful desert out there.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:42 PM

The wife and I stayed there last march, like the resort, the food was decent (though not fantastic there were some dud meals), we really did like town.

We walked some through the estuary and it seemed to be like any other swamp I have been in.

At the hotel we were on the ground floor by the adult pool. I think we were the only ones to use the hammocks. cold drinks, surf , shade in the afternoon and hammocks that was awesome.

I am not sure how fly fishable the beach is its a pretty steep beach once you get there (it's at least 1/4 mile wide) and the surf is pretty dangerous (no swimming). But basically I would go out 1 hour before sunrise and the fishing would shut down just in time to go meet the wife for breakfast.

I did end up catching sierra makerals, ladyfish and a couple of sting rays. If baits around then there will be fish if not then not so much
Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the tips folks! This forum is a wealth of information!