Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Forum Civility

I think its important to remember that when you interact with somebody on AO, you're conversing with a real human being who at the end of day is interested in being part of a community of sportsmen. They may not be the most computer savvy or have the strongest language skills but they're here and they just want to be a part of things.

I don't think that its a surprise to anyone that there can be a real sense of mean-spiritedness on here. I'm not saying I haven't ever been 'that guy', I enjoy good banter like most other folks and I cross the line sometimes, but I hate to see guys get jumped on for the tiniest breach of forum etiquette. I know I have been genuinely sorry to have asked a legitimate question before due to some of the responses I received. How many people do you see online every day? How many of them post regularly? The mods run a tight ship, or else this would be much much worse.

To make a long story short, I hate to see a potential long-time contributor shut out because someone is feeling ornery. A man can be made to feel very unwelcome, even if there are no rules being broken
Old 11-22-2017, 03:18 PM

I agree. I don't post much as I do not want to put up with people jumping all over a wrong word or misssspelling. It is fine to argue an issue but negative personal remarks should be left out.
Yes I know it is the internet but on a forum where we are all supposed to have the same interests it is out of place.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 PM

I see the unacceptable verbal attacks more common on new members as if there are not worthy of asking a question because of a low post count.
Not very welcoming at times.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Ya its unfortunate. I dont like how some people have the idea to just post negativity or trollish comments when there are other members trying to work things out. Heres a good example. Its actually this threads OP that just decides to chime in where it wasnt needed, replying to me when I was pointing out the OP its a duplicate thread (who has since pointed it was a glitch, apologies were said and everything is all good). Kind of the pot calling the kettle black.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=333817

Whats the use for this thread, hours after the other one had concluded, OP?
Old 11-22-2017, 03:59 PM

Arrow Think of it like this . . .

Maybe we should try to act, like we're just a bunch of friends, chattin' at the fireside.

Selkirk
Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

Maybe we should try to act, like we're just a bunch of friends, chattin' at the fireside.

Selkirk
Like.

Just like the guys above.

With guns.

And shoot the miserable ones.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-22-2017, 04:20 PM

I always used to post photos of my hunting seasons and write up a story... due to the forums these days I've stopped! Really unfortunate as I know quite a few others who's posts I used to look forward to no longer show up either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

Selkirk
Except one is of those guys is a liberal, and his opinion is worthless.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:59 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers that's why you change the channel, next thread etc....seriously some things might get you wound up while others laugh and vice versa...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-22-2017, 05:23 PM

I know what Chopper Reid would say about it.......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-22-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I see the unacceptable verbal attacks more common on new members as if there are not worthy of asking a question because of a low post count.
Not very welcoming at times.
I think a perception is that a larger than hoped percentage of new members are old booted members coming back for round 30 and just getting grounded.

I agree that being fair to new members we should look to help and educate versus ridicule and judge.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-22-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I always used to post photos of my hunting seasons and write up a story... due to the forums these days I've stopped! Really unfortunate as I know quite a few others who's posts I used to look forward to no longer show up either.

That's not cool.

So many have left for that very reason.

I am not sure what the feces disturbers are trying to accomplish, but they are winning.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-22-2017, 06:30 PM

Yeah I've heard similar stories from people who don't like to put too much out there these days, its too bad.

You know Cap'n 420 I didn't just have your contributions in mind when I started this thread but now that you've chimed in here I think you're a pretty good example of a guy looking to start some trouble, demanding that other people's threads get deleted and all. Takes a big man to admit he's part of the problem
Old 11-22-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I am not sure what the feces disturbers are trying to accomplish, but they are winning.
They are only winning if we let them.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:50 PM

If you kill your enemies they win. A great leader once said that....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-22-2017, 06:58 PM

Default They are not winning!

I see the requests to delete threads, and most are; item sold, duplicate post and coming in last are lets call them "impolite" .

Compared to what I see on other forums we don't do too bad. It could be better but it is not all that bad.

Once the hunting season ends... the more experienced mods say I'll need to get a good grip on what ever I'm sitting on. I hope not.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 PM

I think it has a lot to do with “faceless “

Ive met a few dozen members, and they are just good people.

But, some are just here to cause grief.

I miss Bassett’s pics and updates. Nice young man. Loves hunting.

I used to post pics and tell stories but those days are over. I tend to comment with some attempt at wit instead.

I prefer pm’s to posting anyhow. If someone asks my advice, I respond.

And if we have an AO evening i try to go
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Default Interesting

I am happy to see threads like this. Members wanting this forum to be a welcoming place. Many would read this and say that people need to "grow a set" or not to get "butt hurt" etc... That's not it at all. The very best threads are when people vigorously debate issues without resorting to macho insults, labeling people with different perspectives, and various other manner of put downs.

For those of you who may not realize it, this forum is 98% self-moderated. By that I mean about 98% of the time a thread is closed or infractions are given, it is as a result of members complaining about problem posts and/or threads by hitting the little red triangle and reporting. We read the complaints and then moderate to the rules that are at the top of all the forums, making judgement calls as we see it. People don't like it, we get nasty PMs, and we carry on.

As mods, we are doing our best to make this a place where people don't jump down others' throats. Some are vocal that they think we are heavy-handed when we enforce the longstanding rules. At times it seems like the feces disturbers are winning, but we will keep doing our thing, but ultimately the forum decorum rests in your hands. All you have to do is report problems when you see them. There are 5 of us and typically 1000 of you online. We can only do what you members help us to do.

Last edited by sns2; 11-22-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 PM

I think it is six of one, half a dozen of the other.

For my part I sometimes end up commenting on threads when I should know better.
They are usually political comment troll threads. I own some responsibility for jumping in.

I also think that some people here have no interest in the outdoors, and use this forum because they are angry people, or insecure, or in some weird way if they can humiliate someone else they will feel better, or bigger.
I just don't understand why they don't find a forum with more like minded people.

I believe that this forum has got better the last six months or so - thanks to mods.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Like. Just like the guys above. With guns.And shoot the miserable ones.
Who knows, someone might find you miserable.
Maybe they have a gun.

Last edited by drhu22; 11-22-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Who knows, someone might find you miserable.
Maybe they have a gun.
Nice. The first comments in the thread are about civility and you aim at me personally.
Thanks

Old 11-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nice. The first comment in the thread about civility and you aim at me personally.
There's the class.
Yours wasnt a civil comment, get stuffed.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Yours wasnt a civil comment, get stuffed.
It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. Go stuff yourself.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. Go stuff yourself.
Just everyone who doesn't share your opinions or view of the world.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 PM

Wow.

Crap posts will be met with a timeout. A long one.

Just bizarre.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Banned

And dhru and Ken prove that a fair number of AO posters can't resist resorting to name calling and childish behaviour.
As I've stated before, the reason I don't let my two young teens...up and coming outdoorsman to frequent this forum.
The kids in their high school schoolyard have more class.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:32 PM

I also like this thread.

There are many guys on here who have opinions the opposite of my own. There have been times where I considered their perspective and it gave me food for thought. I hope I have reciprocated as well.

I've had some pretty intense discussion and I have always tried to be respectful but do, admittedly, react sometimes and find myself editing my thoughts and toning down my responses. As I get older, the more collected I become ..... and ..... 50 is not too far away so hopefully it's not a slippery slope for me down the other side of that hill .... lol.

You talk to "people" all day long face to face - and the internet eliminates that "face to face" thing but I think we all need to remind ourselves it really another person out there on the other side of the keyboard.

As long as we can remind ourselves of that ..... we will make it through without any time outs.

6346 posts and no time out yet. One warning (which I deserved) but so far so good.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Don’t let the others win. We need more people to post pics and share in their adventures. Rules are very clear specifically in sharing of photos. They will receive an instant suspension or ban for negatively commenting on photo pic threads. Report the post and let us do our jobs. Great way to clean things up lol.

For the intent of this thread. What a train wreck. So disheartening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post

Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 PM

Rudeness is a weak man's idea of strength
Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Selkirk
Selkirk, I love the pic. I said in another thread that AO had changed.

It used to be like this picture. and if someone passed wind, everyone laughed. Now if someone passes wind, seems like everyone cries.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Closed Thread