Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 07:56 PM

Default Unreasonable Landowners @#$%

SORRY EDITING. THIS IS THE OTHERS GUYS VERSION OF THE STORY (as I wrote it, if he is here he can correct me if his version differs but it shouldnt).
MINE IS BELOW. I AM THE LANDOWNER

Hunters side of the story:

So 5 or 6 years ago I stopped a guy while harvesting and asked if I could shoot waterfowl off the slough on his property and he said yes once the crop was off.
Well this Monday he posts pictures of my truck entering his property and leaving later on the local facebook crimewatch page with the pictures of 2 mule deer carcasses somebody else dropped off inside the gate the same morning (cause I sure didn't do it, don't know why he was skeptical).
He gave me permission to shoot ducks there 5 or so years ago and never told me I couldn't enter during big game season and it was definately somebody else that drove up and down the treelines throughout the quarter even though mine was the only truck on the game camera.
I told him I know his neighbors and they all appreciate me keeping an eye on stuff and I was doing him a favor.
I called him up today and explained it all after a buddy told me my truck was on facebook... Told him I'd keep an eye out cause there's a lot of bad apples out there these days.

Last edited by Gammaboy; 11-22-2017 at 08:09 PM. Reason: I was unclear
Old 11-22-2017, 08:01 PM

Did he ask permission every year, or did he just ask the one time five or six years ago? I am asking to get a better idea of what the hunter is like.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-22-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Hmmm??....interesting
Old 11-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Here's the landowners side. (My side)

I've been seeing coyote and deer carcasses scattered on that piece for 15 years. I've had a few guys ask permission to shoot waterfowl and always granted permission to anybody that had the respect to ask but I'm leary about allowing rifle hunting from people I don't know as there are acreages and cows nearby so have been careful about big game.
The last 3 years there have been 5 or 6 stolen vehicles dropped off and some burnt, this fall my truck was stolen from the same spot as I watched while cultivating so I decided to set up game cams to see whats actually happening.
Sunday morning I rolled out with my son to check the cameras and debate where to hunt this week, we found 2 mule deer carcasses, 1 at each side of the gate. There were 2 miles of tire tracks from the gate through the field, down treelines and fencelines but no foot prints as whoever it was was to lazy to walk (on the plus side there weren't any beer cans).
The camera showed a truck entering and leaving 31 minutes later, there was no camera pointing at the carcasses so I don't know who dropped them but he didn't walk back to look at them after he drove in. I put pictures of the truck and carcasses on rural area crime watch page and my personal page.

Yesterday I got a moose and dropped it off to get processed and said holy crap, that's the same truck. I went inside and asked who's Ford is that outside, guy at the counter said thats XXXX's (first name only). 60 seconds later the truck and guy were gone. I looked on the previous sheets in the book at the meat shop and got his name and posted the update on facebook saying I knew who he was but DID NOT post his name, said it was a freebee this time as I was stewing.
Today I get a call from XXXX explaining how I am so mistaken and that he's one of the good guys, his friend showed him my post and his wife said he should call me. Funny how fast he tracked me down after I had his name, you would think he might of called to let me know there were 2 illegal deer carcasses in my field (draw for mules here, no tags with either carcass)
I think it is quite probable that the carcasses aren't his, and possible that he saw them from the road, drove into the approach to look at them, then drove another 100 feet past my game camera to park out of sight and think about who knows what for 31 minutes before driving out again but I doubt it. I think he knows I don't live nearby and drove the treelines hoping to flush something out and got burnt by the pictures.

What do you guys think? I assume that unless I know the guy well enough to sit at the same table for Christmas dinner I don't have permission to drive further than his driveway without asking and I always ask before taking a gun (even with family I've been renting land from for decades where we both know asking is a formality it still should be done). And if I give permission to someone to access for ducks, coyotes or deer (depending on the piece I do give access for rifle) its for that season only and it would be nice to get a thank you call after instead of a pile of guts left behind. I don't ask for meat or beer (although thanks for the Coors Light from Hayseed) but a simple thanks is appreciated.

It's amazing how many people think that permission is eternal, it's not. I have a lot of friends and try to rotate permission each year (6 quarters scattered over 15 miles as the crow flies) so they everybody gets a decent chance and avoid safety issues and if something goes wrong I know who it was. I've given permission to my kids hockey coach and found his kid chasing deer there 3 years later.

Anyways I'm going to post all my land "Hunting and Access by Written Permission Only", without a fence and closed gates it's not trespassing and I got tired of fixing the gate after being driven through 3 years ago (gave up after I had a chain run across with a lock on each side and they tore the gate posts off when they went through). In my mind if I post it no hunting I can't give permission to people to hunt there so that isn't an option.

Flame away guys.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Do you ask permission every year, or did you just ask the one time five or six years ago?
I'm the landowner and honestly don't remember him but have been stopped harvesting most years and will give permission to the first guy that asks for waterfowl so probably did give him permission. Once.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:14 PM

I think what you did was reasonable. I know if I see something on a landowners land and find or see something (like a carcass) I call him and let him know or ask who was lucky. To me, It's odd someone would see something like that and not say anything to you.

If you post it "No Hunting" anyone who you have given permission to can still hunt there.

Do you allow Bowhunters? Can I get written permission

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:22 PM

I have a group of landowners that I have been hunting on their land for 40 years. Each year I go through the same routine of calling to make sure it is ok to hunt, where they have cattle, what has changed and what truck I am driving. I make a point of stopping by to help when they are moving cattle. inoculating or harvesting. I do not take permission to shoot geese on a weekend as blanket permission for that year or multiple years (even though I have been told go ahead and no need to ask). Point is that it is not my land and use has to go with respect / friendship.

Vandals are out there and without knowing who dropped the deer off the only evidence you have is the trail cam picture which from your post the owner of the truck had not told you what truck and licence number he was using. Getting permission to shoot ducks on a pond after harvest is a long ways off from assuming it applies for big game hunting 5 years later.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 11-22-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
I'm the landowner and honestly don't remember him but have been stopped harvesting most years and will give permission to the first guy that asks for waterfowl so probably did give him permission. Once.
My way of thinking is that permission is not permanent, so I ask every year, and in the case of waterfowl , I contact the landowner before every hunt on his property to make sure that he hasn't given anyone else permission for the day I plan to hunt.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:29 PM

My one thought is that just because there's no tags on the carcass doesn't mean they were poached. When I dump carcasses (with permission) I always remove the plastic tag and wire.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:30 PM

Yeah I’m siding with the landowner too, permission is granted for a set timeframe and season. Permission to shoot gophers in the spring doesn’t automatically grant perpetual permission to hunt and dispose of big game animals. Respectful use of a persons valuable land is easily accomplished with a little communication.

I call everyone before I hunt their land, specifying season and target animal including close family members that I’ve hunted with since I was a kid.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:35 PM

if I was land owner and this was happening, I would put up signs in several places stating that my property is under video surveillance. Placing these signs in spots were there is no doubt that people tresspassing will see them, will make it easier for law enforcement to press charges, and have great evidence to prosecute!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Anyways I'm going to post all my land "Hunting and Access by Written Permission Only", without a fence and closed gates it's not trespassing and I got tired of fixing the gate after being driven through 3 years ago (gave up after I had a chain run across with a lock on each side and they tore the gate posts off when they went through). In my mind if I post it no hunting I can't give permission to people to hunt there so that isn't an option.

Flame away guys.
No flame from me. I appreciate that you did not just close it down to all but will allow access with written permission.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:48 PM

Gamma,

No flames will come your way. You grant permission to hunters - that's more than most landowners do. Likely they have been the victim of the same garbage you had to put up with.

We have property down south and have stopped granting access to people we don't know for the same reasons. My dear old mom has had to put up with some real garbage (but that's another story altogether).

Reasonable people should know permission is not permanent and perpetual. They should take a moment to ask about gates, different sections, etc... and have the courtesy to inform the landowner when they are planning a trip onto his property to ensure he/she is aware and welcome.

Like you, a thank you is enough for us. My mom enjoys a chat, so take the 5 minutes with her. It means allot to the way the older generation was raised. We can learn from it.

I think you are on point - I can't see any reasonable person flaming you.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:05 PM

I phone and let every landowner know that has given me permission when I am going to be on their land - every time I head down south to hunt .
They know my truck and know I will keep a lookout on their quarters fir them.
Cat
Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Here's the landowners side. (My side)

I've been seeing coyote and deer carcasses scattered on that piece for 15 years. I've had a few guys ask permission to shoot waterfowl and always granted permission to anybody that had the respect to ask but I'm leary about allowing rifle hunting from people I don't know as there are acreages and cows nearby so have been careful about big game.
The last 3 years there have been 5 or 6 stolen vehicles dropped off and some burnt, this fall my truck was stolen from the same spot as I watched while cultivating so I decided to set up game cams to see whats actually happening.
Sunday morning I rolled out with my son to check the cameras and debate where to hunt this week, we found 2 mule deer carcasses, 1 at each side of the gate. There were 2 miles of tire tracks from the gate through the field, down treelines and fencelines but no foot prints as whoever it was was to lazy to walk (on the plus side there weren't any beer cans).
The camera showed a truck entering and leaving 31 minutes later, there was no camera pointing at the carcasses so I don't know who dropped them but he didn't walk back to look at them after he drove in. I put pictures of the truck and carcasses on rural area crime watch page and my personal page.

Yesterday I got a moose and dropped it off to get processed and said holy crap, that's the same truck. I went inside and asked who's Ford is that outside, guy at the counter said thats XXXX's (first name only). 60 seconds later the truck and guy were gone. I looked on the previous sheets in the book at the meat shop and got his name and posted the update on facebook saying I knew who he was but DID NOT post his name, said it was a freebee this time as I was stewing.
Today I get a call from XXXX explaining how I am so mistaken and that he's one of the good guys, his friend showed him my post and his wife said he should call me. Funny how fast he tracked me down after I had his name, you would think he might of called to let me know there were 2 illegal deer carcasses in my field (draw for mules here, no tags with either carcass)
I think it is quite probable that the carcasses aren't his, and possible that he saw them from the road, drove into the approach to look at them, then drove another 100 feet past my game camera to park out of sight and think about who knows what for 31 minutes before driving out again but I doubt it. I think he knows I don't live nearby and drove the treelines hoping to flush something out and got burnt by the pictures.

What do you guys think? I assume that unless I know the guy well enough to sit at the same table for Christmas dinner I don't have permission to drive further than his driveway without asking and I always ask before taking a gun (even with family I've been renting land from for decades where we both know asking is a formality it still should be done). And if I give permission to someone to access for ducks, coyotes or deer (depending on the piece I do give access for rifle) its for that season only and it would be nice to get a thank you call after instead of a pile of guts left behind. I don't ask for meat or beer (although thanks for the Coors Light from Hayseed) but a simple thanks is appreciated.

It's amazing how many people think that permission is eternal, it's not. I have a lot of friends and try to rotate permission each year (6 quarters scattered over 15 miles as the crow flies) so they everybody gets a decent chance and avoid safety issues and if something goes wrong I know who it was. I've given permission to my kids hockey coach and found his kid chasing deer there 3 years later.

Flame away guys.
Im sidin with you, this other guy sounds like a real clown shoe!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 PM

I think you are doing the right thing gamma. The tales of gaining permission hold true with this fella, he gave myself and my son permission to hunt, we took a dry doe later n the day.

Stopped by to chew the fat and have a beer and clam,that's how's she done.

The happy hunts with respect between hunter and landowner, seems far and few between, or rarely posted for a positive.

I admit I know the OP,our sons went to school and played hockey together, still doesn't mean entitlement,I always either called , or showed up for a verbal to hunt on said land.

So sad it's come to this, but in the long run, maybe be better off.
Haven't been out that way for abit, should make time soon to pop in for a silver bullet..
And a steak??? Lol...
Old 11-22-2017, 11:03 PM

Default Buds story sounds fishy.

Seems like lots of guys around the area like to drive all over peoples fields. Another one of those guys pleading ignorance. He may not have dumped the deer carcasses but what do you do in a field for thirty minutes without a honey in the truck.
I hunt one property that you need written permission and it’s great, you put down what your hunting and for how long. Truck make, color, license plate number. They give you a blown up copy off of the county map with the property you are aloud to hunt shaded in. This way there is no excuse if anyone catches someone doing something wrong all the info is right there. The hunter must carry copies of the permission on them any time they are on the property.
What I like most is it is walking access only.
Most land owners I ask for waterfowl only give you certain days you ask for on a piece of land and not the whole season and it works great. That way nobody’s hunt gets spoiled.
Good luck.
Not enough fish and wildlife around anymore.
Never seen any last year and haven’t seen any this year so far.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:05 PM

If you post your land no hunting, you and anyone that has your permission can still hunt there. Also if the land is cultivated there does not need to be any fence or gate to be considered trespassing.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I think you are doing the right thing gamma. The tales of gaining permission hold true with this fella, he gave myself and my son permission to hunt, we took a dry doe later n the day.

The happy hunts with respect between hunter and landowner, seems far and few between, or rarely posted for a positive.

I admit I know the OP,our sons went to school and played hockey together, still doesn't mean entitlement,I always either called , or showed up for a verbal to hunt on said land.

Haven't been out that way for abit, should make time soon to pop in for a silver bullet..
And a steak??? Lol...

There it is!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-23-2017, 03:49 AM

Too much whining and crying hunt crown land and no more problems.
That’s the way I see it .
Old 11-23-2017, 05:13 AM

I don’t know why a guy would think permission is a life long thing. Permission is that year only kinda an unwritten rule in my mind. Things change year to year with property owners. Even ownership might change without you knowing from one year to the next. And it’s a respect thing to go ask each year. I think you handled the situation better then most guys would of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2017, 05:37 AM
Banned

I think the theme is consistent with most responsible hunters in that we secure permission each season and notify the landowner prior to each hunt. After years of cultivating that kind of respectful approach I have landowners who call me to tell me when and where game is present. It’s a win-win for both parties.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:02 AM

Gamma - you're on point with what you have done in the past and what you are doing know..... I ask every year no matter what....permission once is just that one season one set of fields.... its not hard to ask and its not hard to be a responsible and respectful hunter..... Some people SMH
Old 11-23-2017, 07:10 AM

I find it interesting that the hunter felt it was prudent to tell you that he was doing YOU a favor.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All I know is that when I approach a landowner I give them all my contact info etc. If they are out of this area we agree if things change they will contact me as I usually access the land 365 for yotes, walks etc and if I see something out of the normal I will call the cops/F&W and go from there.
At the end of the day the landowner has the final say and never assume things always check back and I like the signage hunting with written permission only and a phone number too, been out on a few Reece's and came across land like this, pull over make a call, meet the landowner and carry on...respect goes a long way to enjoy such a privilidge.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

And a steak??? Lol...
Maybe some coyotes in December? Followed up by a visit to the Brewery (either the one in town or the fridge in my shop).
Old 11-23-2017, 08:46 AM

I see nothing wrong with what Gammaboy did here. He could have publicly posted the hunters info, how this was handled was a respectable way to resolve this.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:55 AM
Banned

Getting permission to hunt someone's property should be seen as sacred. A bond needs to be developed then a friendship cultivated. I used to stop in for visits in the off season just for a coffee and a chat. I always hunted on foot to minimize any possible damage. I stopped in before I went on so they new where and when and for how long I would be there. I would let them know when I harvested and what I harvested. Some farmers watch these animals grow and however slight there is a bond as they are the keepers of the land. Lastly I always came back before Christmas with a sausage and cheese plate from the animal harvested. Worth every second if you get to hunt a prime area. Respect is earned not given getting permission one time is good for that one time.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:17 PM

Friends know if I give permission it’s until I tell them different

Trespassing is simple. If it’s not yours and you go on it without permission, it’s trespassing

If you post No Hunting, it does not include you or anyone you give permission to.

I’m glad you offer permission to hunters. I do too. I don’t own the animals, but I do own the ground it’s standing on. Just ask. It’s simple.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:24 PM

I am in the you did the right thing camp. My in-laws went with hunting with written permission only signs. It's cut down on the traffic quite a lot.

They had to as no hunting means no hunting period even for the land owner and no trespassing didn't seem to do anything.